The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Come to think of it, is it ok to post a picture of a diesel car on a thread called "The Petrolhead Lounge"?

Is that question part of Deutsche Punktlichkeit? I guess even Americans are allowed to post here, even they'd be 'gasheads'. Auch.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Come to think of it, is it ok to post a picture of a diesel car on a thread called "The Petrolhead Lounge"?

Is that question part of Deutsche Punktlichkeit? I guess even Americans are allowed to post here, even they'd be 'gasheads'. Auch.

Well, no. Just that "petrol" or "gasoline" doesn't normally include "diesel" or "gasoil", does it? Different stuff. Even here we wouldn't accept that "Diesel" is the same as "Benzin". Especially one's engine won't. And for high-performance freaks (which I would connect with "...heads"), I'm sure that diesel engines are unacceptable.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,973

Well, no. Just that "petrol" or "gasoline" doesn't normally include "diesel" or "gasoil", does it? Different stuff. Even here we wouldn't accept that "Diesel" is the same as "Benzin". Especially one's engine won't. And for high-performance freaks (which I would connect with "...heads"), I'm sure that diesel engines are unacceptable.

Ah, but I've always taken 'petrolhead' to be taken as 'those who love cars', as even James 'Captain slow' May was designated petrolhead. And maybe the words 'high performance car' are usually connected to 'fast' cars, but personally that's not what attracts me to cars (allthough I'm admittedly a fast driver). It's the sense of freedom, the adventure, the fun of beeing in control that makes car so much fun, and that would count as much for all terrain vehicles (often diesel) as for the lates Lambo. And I don't mean the tractors ;-)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Ah, but I've always taken 'petrolhead' to be taken as 'those who love cars', as even James 'Captain slow' May was designated petrolhead. And maybe the words 'high performance car' are usually connected to 'fast' cars, but personally that's not what attracts me to cars (allthough I'm admittedly a fast driver). It's the sense of freedom, the adventure, the fun of beeing in control that makes car so much fun, and that would count as much for all terrain vehicles (often diesel) as for the lates Lambo. And I don't mean the tracktors ;-)
    Next: "lithiumheads"? Or "offshore-windpowerheads"? Or maybe "fuelcellheads"?
    Well hydrogenhead would work.... but lithiumheads? I don't know.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,497
    Nein [-(

Anyway, I wanna play a game: I'm gonna post some nice cars of brands that I usually dislike or don't really care for.

1) 2015 BMW 6 series

5jiXITt.jpg
    So what's the game? Or isn't anyone else supposed to play?

For me, BMW has at least the distinction that it is one of only two carmakers from whom I possessed two cars. A leased 1989 316i two-door (E 30), which was replaced by the Mazda MX-5 mentioned above in this thread, and the still-present 330d convertible (E 93). The only other brand I repeated was Opel, changing from a Kadett C to a Kadett D in 1981 or 1982.

I kind of like the 6-series coupe which is no longer produced. I'm not sure if they did themselves a favour by cancelling the "6", upgrading it to "8" just for the premium they can now charge on the price.

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I'm up for a game, but what are the rules? That 2016 BMW 6-series is not as ugly as its predecessor:
    2008_bmw_6-series_coupe_650i_fq_oem_2_500.jpg
    Haha no it's my personal game, to divert attention of the possible new name of this thread.

;))
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,692
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I'm up for a game, but what are the rules? That 2016 BMW 6-series is not as ugly as its predecessor:
    2008_bmw_6-series_coupe_650i_fq_oem_2_500.jpg
    Not a really extraordinary achievement. Although except for the "Bangle Butt", even that one looked ok.
    2) Opel Diplomat coupé

F13er6J.jpg

o9Ab0w2.jpg
    Lovely. Haven't seen one since the mid-sixties. Closest thing to an American "road cruiser" available from a German (though GM-owned) carmaker. Ever.
    Oh love that one! cool sixties look always works!
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Univex wrote: »
    Always love a Golf. Specially a GTI. What will you be getting next, @Octopussy?

This one's my daily drive.

Mazda-MX-5-Z-Sport-image-Convertible-017-800.jpg

Audi S3 or A35 AMG, I think.

Ladies & gentlemen...

I present you the V8 Vantage Roadster.

https://www.netcarshow.com/aston_martin/2021-vantage_roadster/

dIY77xV.jpg
    I think I prefer the coupe, personally. That colour isn’t doing it any favours, IMO.
    Octopussy wrote: »
    I think I prefer the coupe, personally. That colour isn’t doing it any favours, IMO.

It is indeed an ugly colour. It looks like it's been custom ordered by Christiano Ronaldo.

:>
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I just can't warm to that Vantage. Why don't Aston make elegant cars anymore?
    mtm wrote: »

The previous shape Vantage was far nicer in every way. I even prefer the DB10 from Spectre over the new shape. That being said, I've seen a number of them in person and they have a presence and raw aggression to its design. It's not typical of Aston Martin, but I like it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »

The previous shape Vantage was far nicer in every way. I even prefer the DB10 from Spectre over the new shape.

Agreed massively on both points.
    That being said, I've seen a number of them in person and they have a presence and raw aggression to its design. It's not typical of Aston Martin, but I like it.

I don't find they do have much presence. I've genuinely felt they sometimes remind me of Nissans: they look like they're from the GTR design language to me. And the interior is pretty nothingy to sit in. I think a Jag F Type has more presence.

My old boss bought the first V8 Vantage though, and although it was great to drive it was slower and less practical than my other boss's automatic four-seater Mustang, had pretty uncomfortable seats and had almost no luxury gadgets in the cabin at all. He got rid of it when he heard the clutches go and they're around five grand to replace(!). Sadly I don't think Astons are all that clever a thing to buy.
    I agree that the interior of the new Vantage is garbage.
    https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/fiat/panda/1989/734449

I adore that Steyr Puch Panda 4x4. ;))
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,957
    I agree that the interior of the new Vantage is garbage.

I thought the DB11 was pretty rubbish too. If I paid all that money I'd really want an amazing luxury interior to sit in.
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Is this a particularly special one? How can it be £POA?

Tough choice ;)

Tough choice ;)

The interior of the A35 I think wins it over for me. Merc's are on a whole new level with their interiors. Interestingly, I never liked the new 1 Series BMW when it was released, but the more I see it, it's growing on me. Perhaps I should look into a i40M?

Tough choice ;)

The interior of the A35 I think wins it over for me. Merc's are on a whole new level with their interiors. Interestingly, I never liked the new 1 Series BMW when it was released, but the more I see it, it's growing on me. Perhaps I should look into a i40M?

I forbid thee to order an I40.

[-X
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    A friend of mine sold his Audi S3 after 6 months, he could not get used to the hard setup (anything on the road that is not a flat surface announces itself with a kick and a knock). He then bought a BMW X1 and is very happy with it.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,677

Tough choice ;)

I'd get the Merc :) No question about it. For me, that is.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Did somone say Merc?

mercedes-klasa-c-coupe-mercedes-benz-klasa-c-mercedes-w203-c320-sportcoupe-silnik-v6-218km-przebieg-213-tyu015b_7061132208.jpg

The 2000's C-Class Coupe. One of the few Mercs I would own if I had the money.
    Did somone say Merc?

mercedes-klasa-c-coupe-mercedes-benz-klasa-c-mercedes-w203-c320-sportcoupe-silnik-v6-218km-przebieg-213-tyu015b_7061132208.jpg

The 2000's C-Class Coupe. One of the few Mercs I would own if I had the money.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've always found that type of "C-Class sports coupe" (later CLC) butt-ugly, especially - yes - its butt. Shows that Chris Bangle wasn't the only one who screwed that particular section up.