The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 15,017
    mtm wrote: »

That'd be me. You'll know why when you've driven a car that deserves it. ;-)

I’ve driven Astons, Ferraris, Porsches, have a daily sportscar... none of them warrant me sounding like a berk! ;)

OF those probably Astons deserve it. It's not only how they look, it's how they behave. i.e. Alfa's (mine, anyway) certainly behaves like a lady? A lot of fun to take out, but sometimes she trows a tantrum for no apparent reason and logic goes out the door. Above all, they have their 'oddities'.
    My alfa i.e. for no explicable reason has an indicator bar which jumps back when you turn right, as it should, but remains adamant you haven't turned enough when you go left, no matter if you did a 360 already. As long as she behaves like a lady, I'll talk about her like a lady....

Anyway, I grew up (partially) amongst aeroplanes, and most, i not all pilots talk about their aircraft like ladies. I suppose for exctly the same reason.

Yep, I had an Alfa too. Beautiful interior, handled fantastically, was occasionally unreliable. But it was an it! :)
    When you say ‘behaves like a lady’ are you saying women are unpredictable and unreliable? Erm...
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

I’ve driven Astons, Ferraris, Porsches, have a daily sportscar... none of them warrant me sounding like a berk! ;)

OF those probably Astons deserve it. It's not only how they look, it's how they behave. i.e. Alfa's (mine, anyway) certainly behaves like a lady? A lot of fun to take out, but sometimes she trows a tantrum for no apparent reason and logic goes out the door. Above all, they have their 'oddities'.
    My alfa i.e. for no explicable reason has an indicator bar which jumps back when you turn right, as it should, but remains adamant you haven't turned enough when you go left, no matter if you did a 360 already. As long as she behaves like a lady, I'll talk about her like a lady....

Anyway, I grew up (partially) amongst aeroplanes, and most, i not all pilots talk about their aircraft like ladies. I suppose for exctly the same reason.

Yep, I had an Alfa too. Beautiful interior, handled fantastically, was occasionally unreliable. But it was an it! :)
    When you say ‘behaves like a lady’ are you saying women are unpredictable and unreliable? Erm...

Definitely! That's what makes them fascinating. I wouldn't want it any different...
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Do you have a pilot's license? ;))
    I used to fly gliders, went solo many times but I never did the exams. Wouldn't be able to keep it up either.
    not too bad, hope you've got a garage for that one.... ;-)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Definitely! That's what makes them fascinating. I wouldn't want it any different...

Okay, must be nice in the twentieth century there! Do you assume I’m not a woman, out of interest?

Okay, must be nice in the twentieth century there! Do you assume I’m not a woman, out of interest?

Hahaha I don't assume anything. But I can guarantee you that my wife is unpredictable. Unreliable perhaps isn't the right word, temperamental would be more correct. Those qualities she'll herself wholeheartedly agree to she has them. Why you'd think that would be '20th century' thinking is beyond me.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    not too bad, hope you've got a garage for that one.... ;-)

Uhm... of course... ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    MajorDSmythe Presents
    His A-Z of Favourite Cars
    Of The 1970's
    Part 2

Alfa Romeo (I)
    Giulla 1300TI (1966-72)
    574d12ee02ae9c5ece2ed992ca01ba32.jpeg

1300 GT Junior (1966-72
    5d4704ebbb5bd48bc7e0168b50d80338.jpg

2000 Spider Veloce (1970-82)
    Screen-Shot-2017-06-01-at-10.08.42-AM-940x673.png

Alfetta Saloon (1972-84)
    alfetta_1.6_2_phares_-_452529_pg_1_0.jpg

Montreal (1970-77)
    Alfa_Romeo_Montreal.PNG

Alfasud (1972-83)
    ref-121-1979-alfa-romeo-alfsud-15-quarter.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=1000
    A man of wealth & taste. ^:)^
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    If I can, I'll barge in and post something new that I hope all of us will get.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/622931/james-bonds-aston-martin-db5-by-simon-hugo/
    MajorDSmythe Presents
    His A-Z of Favourite Cars
    Of The 1970's
    Part 2

Alfa Romeo (I)
    Giulla 1300TI (1966-72)
    574d12ee02ae9c5ece2ed992ca01ba32.jpeg

1300 GT Junior (1966-72
    5d4704ebbb5bd48bc7e0168b50d80338.jpg

2000 Spider Veloce (1970-82)
    Screen-Shot-2017-06-01-at-10.08.42-AM-940x673.png

Alfetta Saloon (1972-84)
    alfetta_1.6_2_phares_-_452529_pg_1_0.jpg

Montreal (1970-77)
    Alfa_Romeo_Montreal.PNG

Alfasud (1972-83)
    ref-121-1979-alfa-romeo-alfsud-15-quarter.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=1000

Oy, that alfasud! I almost bought the spider, but it was gone when I had the money. And still no garage either... 😂 😂 😂
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    @MajorDSmythe : I know that your list is highly subjective, on the other hand it seems to me pretty inclusive of models that are still on the market today. As you are proceeding alphabetically, may I therefore draw your attention to the

Abarth Scorpione (1968-71)
    7434071-1-5.JPG&width=640&height=480&autosizefit=1

and the
    Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior Z 1969-1975
    1971_Alfa_Romeo_1300_Junior_Zagato.jpg

I spent a big part of my later teens mixing filler/ fibre glass resin and filling huge holes in various Alfas (an era when teenage boys could drive Alfas rather than Corsas). Wonderful cars - "rust in peace"
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Thanks fore the suggestions @zebrafish. Abarth isn't included in my book, but that might be because it is included in the A-Z of Cars of the 1960's instead.* Same with the Alfa it looks like. Fear not, both will unboubtedly fear in my 60's list. B-)

* It's part of a series, Classic & Sports Car: A-Z of Cars of The 1920's, 1930's, 1945-70, 70's, 80's and 90's. This year should mark the publication of a 00's book, as the oldest car will be 20, and the youngest 11.
    I see, now I understand the system behind it. It will be interesting to see what else you come up with. I once made myself a list of 4-cylinder GT cars from 1965 to 1975, that's where these two came from.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Octopussy wrote: »

Oh Yeah!
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.

Jaw-dropping.

Fantastico.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ha! In ‘Blu Largo’ colour: not a coincidence I suspect ;)
    That one is really amazing. Can you imagine a modern day Bond villain driving that one across the Côte d'Azur, just north of Dieppe, near the mouth of the Somme before the flat coastline soars up from the beaches of southern Picardy to the Brittany cliffs which run on to Le Havre? Fleming's words, not mine. And then Bond tailing him in his new grand tourer. Man, I miss that element from the books. Something not easy to convey on film. Maybe GF, even as the short film that it is, conveyed it better in those alpine scenes. That grand tourismo escapism/relationship building/espionage scenic affair.
    Don't laugh, but this is actually my favorite Range Rover:

eDLwRFv.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There are some quite nice Range Rover S1s in No Time To Die: quite a surprising choice.
    yHmZNeB.jpg

Lincoln Model K from 1936.

No one is laughing, that IS a great-looking car!
    zebrafish wrote: »

No one is laughing, that IS a great-looking car!

Haha ikr.

But it has such a bad reputation, it was once voted the least reliable car on the market... 8-|
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I’d never buy one, sadly. Mobile money pit.