The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    https://www.netcarshow.com/pininfarina/2021-battista_anniversario/

Pininfarina Battista Anniversario. :D

But Jesus Christ, that interior is ugly... two tablets & a smartphone...

What kind of customer would buy a Pininfarina Battista? And seriously, a Smartphone screen smack in the middle of the dashboard?

On the other hand, that Alfa Romeo Giulia GTA interor... yummy!
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    vIRhbZW.jpg

70 years of Vantage! =D>
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »

Much nicer. But I don't understand why they had to create a new brand... :-?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited March 2020 Posts: 7,978
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Iirc the last of the II's had square headlights as well? Plenty had double ones too.

I wouldn't remember...and if they had doubles, it would probably have been due to unofficial "tuning" parts (unless you're thinking of the Scirocco I, which was in fact a beauty in its own right...while it withstood the rust assault). Then of course, the ill-fated rucksack version called Jetta had rectangular headlights. Didn't help. And I also think VW's decision to equip the original Golf with round headlights was wise. Made it at least marginally appear like a worthy successor to the Beetle.

Turns out I meant the gti and fog lights. Love my memory... 😂 😂 😂

https://images.app.goo.gl/WpjjtGqnfNHNknMn7
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,985

Seat aren’t exactly a brand that folks care about and the Cupra is the only actually desirable model... I think it kind of works.

Seat aren’t exactly a brand that folks care about and the Cupra is the only actually desirable model... I think it kind of works.

But they always were seen as "sporty". So I see nothing wrong with Seat Formentor. :-??
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Gosh I never saw Seat as sporty. They make a lot of very dull and ordinary, if perfectly capable (I presume) cars.
    vIRhbZW.jpg

70 years of Vantage! =D>

What a beautiful thing to behold. Thank you, sir.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    You don’t see many of them! I had it in my head it was a Maserati in that film.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Nice. I never realised Lamborghini made good-looking cars after the Miura.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,497
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Nice. I never realised Lamborghini made good-looking cars after the Miura.

They did. ;)

The Urus is ugly. But it freaking sells...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/13/lamborghinis-2019-sales-jump-43percent-driven-by-its-urus-suv.html
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    They were still making the Miura then.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    They were still making the Miura then.
    OK. I'll re-phrase my posting to "I never realised Lamborghini made good-looking cars besides the Miura." I also admit to a bit of hyperbole, but I just can't stand those Lambos of the past decades. To me, they look (and sound!!!) just snobbish and pretentious and at the same time pubescent. No sporty elegance whatsoever.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    The Making Of The Aston Martin DB5 From 'No Time To Die'

https://esquire.com/uk/design/a31219349/the-making-of-the-aston-martin-db5-from-no-time-to-die/

When you've got a license to innovate and you’re only building eight cars, it's amazing what you can make with rapid prototyping and 3D printing.

It was only about four or five people doing two shifts. You have to get some sleep sometimes. If you get the chance to design and build the new Bond car, well that’s what they live and breathe for.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    zebrafish wrote: »

https://esquire.com/uk/design/a31219349/the-making-of-the-aston-martin-db5-from-no-time-to-die/

When you've got a license to innovate and you’re only building eight cars, it's amazing what you can make with rapid prototyping and 3D printing.

It was only about four or five people doing two shifts. You have to get some sleep sometimes. If you get the chance to design and build the new Bond car, well that’s what they live and breathe for.

So cool. They're extremely impressive cars.

I think the best way of telling them apart from the real thing (apart from the rollcages and racing seats of course!) is that the headlamp bezels seem thicker on the replicas.
    While in Hampstead, I saw some interesting cars : A Bentley Bentayga :

43e4fe0346beb4f06ef99d6b-1920-1280.jpg

A Nissan Figaro :

1992_nissan_figaro_1533920853154e4dDSC_0011-940x627.jpg

Given that there is a cleaners called "The Master" in the neighbourhood, I couldn't help but think that Sarah Jane Smith was there too.

And one of the strangest cars I've ever seen, a WiLL Vi :

Toyota_Will_Vi.jpg

Yes, that looks like the love child of a VW Beetle and a Ford Anglia.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    MajorDSmythe Presents
    His A-Z of Favourite Cars
    Of The 1970's
    Part 2

Alfa Romeo (I)
    Giulla 1300TI (1966-72)
    574d12ee02ae9c5ece2ed992ca01ba32.jpeg

1300 GT Junior (1966-72
    5d4704ebbb5bd48bc7e0168b50d80338.jpg

2000 Spider Veloce (1970-82)
    Screen-Shot-2017-06-01-at-10.08.42-AM-940x673.png

Alfetta Saloon (1972-84)
    alfetta_1.6_2_phares_-_452529_pg_1_0.jpg

Montreal (1970-77)
    Alfa_Romeo_Montreal.PNG

Alfasud (1972-83)
    ref-121-1979-alfa-romeo-alfsud-15-quarter.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=1000

Please, just take my money :x

I think Alfa is the only brand in the history of motor cars that has never made an ugly car. Even my beloved Lancia managed to produce the rather dreadful looking Musa among a few others.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Gerard wrote: »
    A Nissan Figaro :

Given that there is a cleaners called "The Master" in the neighbourhood, I couldn't help but think that Sarah Jane Smith was there too.

:D I hope so!
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,497
    Gerard wrote: »
    While in Hampstead, I saw some interesting cars : A Bentley Bentayga :

43e4fe0346beb4f06ef99d6b-1920-1280.jpg

A Nissan Figaro :

And one of the strangest cars I've ever seen, a WiLL Vi :

Toyota_Will_Vi.jpg

Yes, that looks like the love child of a VW Beetle and a Ford Anglia.

That WiLL can be seen in Minority Report...

http://imcdb.org/vehicle_679560-WiLL-Vi-NCP19-2000.html
    gXCUVNR.jpg

Iu1dHtd.jpg

A beautifully restored Mercedes 300S by Brabus.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

I think the best way of telling them apart from the real thing (apart from the rollcages and racing seats of course!) is that the headlamp bezels seem thicker on the replicas.

Very cool indeed! So with this kind of technology we might end up with more new 'classic' cars on the road for a 'reasonable' price...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Very cool indeed! So with this kind of technology we might end up with more new 'classic' cars on the road for a 'reasonable' price...

Well you can already buy plenty of replicas! :) But not Aston Martins: they shut down any attempt to make replicas. I think the trademark radiator shape is a trademark so they easily stop any attempt to copy them.

The BMW Z8 in The World Is Not Enough was actually a replica AC Cobra underneath its fibreglass bodyshell because they hadn't made enough Z8s by the time the film was shooting.

I was always quite fond of this BMW Z3 rebody by DNA Automotive: it wasn't a perfect replica but had a nice style to it. Ferrari shut it down though, I think:

27357634012_09a3c52ef8_b.jpg

The De Havilland Dino is something I've long wanted though- based on an MGF / MG TF

Drivers-front-pic.JPG

https://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/ferrari/dino/333317
    Well there's replicas and replicas. I guess the result is completely different if you build bodywork on the basis of an existing not-too-expensive current car, or if you rebuild the 'old' car with modern quality parts.
    Well there's replicas and replicas. I guess the result is completely different if you build bodywork on the basis of an existing not-too-expensive current car, or if you rebuild the 'old' car with modern quality parts.

There are dinner jackets & dinner jackets. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah definitely: the top 250 California one is simply a different body on a BMW Z3 (a very inexpensive car nowadays), whereas the bottom one is more of your usual kitcar design, where engine, running gear etc. are taken from a donor car and placed onto a new chassis. That's essentially what the NTTD DB5s are: with parts from twenty year old BMW M3s placed into a new body and chassis.

So when you take apart one of these:

BMW-M3-E46-Auction--1024x555.jpg

You can make one of these:

aston-martin-db5-stunt-car-c-photo-max-earey-48-1582150511.jpg?crop=0.782xw:0.827xh;0.211xw,0.173xh&resize=980:*

Generally the ones where you take a car and just put a new body on it are rarely very convincing. I did see this BMW Z8 replica recently though which is just a BMW Z4 with a body conversion, and it's not bad at all:

8e8a1ebe617b284cd33650def6009e61.jpg

This conversion kit to make a Boxster into a 911 GT3 looks pretty impressive too, and it is a genuine Porsche so you're kind of not lying! :D

http://www.anudimension.com/

This
    boxster_1.png
    To this:
    k6.png

I'd love someone to do a Lotus Esprit S1 replica, based on the MGTF or Toyota MR2 perhaps? But I guess the originals still aren't crazy money enough to justify having to build a replica!

What about this:

ViHzItF.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ha! That's fantastic: what's under that? I did see a much more convincing Veyron replica at Goodwood last year which someone had hand built: it looked pretty perfect in the shape although the details let it down a little. Still, I from a distance you really wouldn't know.

I just remembered that this was up for sale recently: someone made it from a Honda S2000!

img_2568.png?ssl=1
    img_2569.png?ssl=1
    img_2576.png?ssl=1

It's not right, but it's not bad, would have taken a lot of work, and I bet it's a load of fun! :)

https://forcedinductioncarspotting.com/2019/01/26/heres-why-this-honda-s2000-based-aston-martin-db5-has-given-me-mixed-feelings/