The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    „Probably the next car I buy will be electric“ - Heresy!

Otherwise a clever piece of marketing, I am already heading to the Morgan website, but don‘t expect to find a bargain.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don’t get Morgans I must admit.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    mtm wrote: »
    I don’t get Morgans I must admit.

4dbf811ae3ca74016c13b787ae757753.jpg
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Did he divorce Oliver?

Hehe. Who knows. :D
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Did he divorce Oliver?

As far as I know he's got quite a modest collection of cars, so I don't think so. Has an old Landy as well.
    Did he divorce Oliver?

As far as I know he's got quite a modest collection of cars, so I don't think so. Has an old Landy as well.

His enthousiasm is so contagious lol.

Speaking of modest car collectors (being that their are very private about it and/or don't have that many), let's not forget Mark Knopfler & that bass player from Coldplay!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Did he divorce Oliver?

His enthousiasm is so contagious lol.

Speaking of modest car collectors (being that their are very private about it and/or don't have that many), let's not forget Mark Knopfler & that bass player from Coldplay!

Cool! Didn't know MK had a car collection!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I didn't know that either!

I do know that Chris Barrie is a big petrolhead. He's also a patron of the Tank Museum and I always hope I'll run into him at one of their events...no luck yet.
    Does anyone know whether the British Motor Museum is interesting enough for a visit? I'll be visiting Coventry some time soon and was thinking of fun stuff to see/do.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I didn't know that either!

I do know that Chris Barrie is a big petrolhead. He's also a patron of the Tank Museum and I always hope I'll run into him at one of their events...no luck yet.

That museum looks very impressive!
    @zebrafish y
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether the British Motor Museum is interesting enough for a visit? I'll be visiting Coventry some time soon and was thinking of fun stuff to see/do.

'd better PM @Agent_99 , she knows a lot of museums!
    Thanks for the tipp!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl

I do seem to spend a lot of time in museums! I haven't visited that one, but it looks an impressive collection.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2020 Posts: 14,956
    zebrafish wrote: »

I liked it: they have plenty of quite interesting unique prototype cars from the various British Motor Corporation companies etc. As I remember there's a little prototype Mini roadster which is absolutely lovely and kind of confusing why they never made it!
    If you haven't been to Beaulieu I'd say that's probably got the wider range of cars from down the years, but they both have plenty to offer. You'll probably see plenty of Aston Martins when you visit the BMM as they live next door!
    Agent_99 wrote: »

I do seem to spend a lot of time in museums! I haven't visited that one, but it looks an impressive collection.

Oh well, you can't visit them all ;-)

whenever life sorts itself out and my son is a bit older I have no doubt we'll be doing more of that too. I only need to find a good reason to get the family to go on holiday to finland so we can accidentally go to their airforce museum. But I'm getting a little off topic here ;-)
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 4,600
    You guys will love this :-)

The SVX Concept Spectre Defender I used to own was sold last year to 007 Elements, owners of a new facility at the top of a mountain in Sölden in Austria dedicated to all things Bond. https://007elements.soelden.com/home.... It's also where the snowy scenes in 'Spectre' were filmed, hence why the Spectre Defender is on display there.
    Given this was a Bond mission, it only seemed right to take my Lotus Esprit Turbo on this trip..

Hell yeah, how nice. That took 30 minutes out of my working day. Anyway, I am not convinced the 007 exhibition is worth it. Nice that the Esprit made it all the way there and back. It should have been a red one though with Skis on the back. ;-)
    Fresh money for ailing Aston Martin:
    https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/aston-martin-sells-stake-f1-billionaire

"Aston Martin is mainly owned by Italian and Kuwaiti private equity groups. The fund raising plan hands the automaker a lifeline that will ease funding strains as it prepares to start building its first SUV, the DBX."

A lifeline or the last bypass-operation for the brand? Time will tell, I guess.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It does seem to happen all the time for them. Hopefully the DBX will save them: they just need to get it out there.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Cool advert.

And...a bit of Wes Anderson, slightly car related.

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    patb wrote: »
    You guys will love this :-)

The SVX Concept Spectre Defender I used to own was sold last year to 007 Elements, owners of a new facility at the top of a mountain in Sölden in Austria dedicated to all things Bond. https://007elements.soelden.com/home.... It's also where the snowy scenes in 'Spectre' were filmed, hence why the Spectre Defender is on display there.
    Given this was a Bond mission, it only seemed right to take my Lotus Esprit Turbo on this trip..

Really late but wow. Where did you get ahold of the Defender?
    My top 5 favourite cars:

1964 Aston Martin DB5
    V12 Jaguar E-Type Series I
    Merecedes Benz 280SL Pagoda
    1981 Lotus Esprit Turbo
    DMC Delorean
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,956

The DB7 is ageing so well: it’s still beautiful unlike a lot of the Astons which followed it. When I see one in the flesh (which is a lot less often than it used to be: I guess they’re disappearing into garages now) it really surprises me how classic they look.
    PjWPqDy.jpg

This one has aged quite well too imho.

And yes, that is an actual CR movie car. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I dunno; it’s missing a certain something for me. It’s a kind of DB7 cover version :)
    mtm wrote: »
    I dunno; it’s missing a certain something for me. It’s a kind of DB7 cover version :)

To me the DB9, or actually it's sort of useless almost-twin sister is the most classic of them.
    aston-martin-virage-coupe-177444358-1.jpg

I still love the DB7, but the DB9/Virage to me is the summum of that design. After that it went too 'obvious' for my taste.
    I'd take a DBS over a DB7 or DB9 any day. I love it's aggressive lines.
    Good and not so good news for Aston Martin models:

...the DBX utility vehicle and V8 Vantage Roadster sports car will enter production in the second quarter of the year. Later on, first deliveries of the Valkyrie mid-engined hypercar are scheduled to start in the second half of the year.

Because Red Bull Racing will lose the title sponsor at the end of the 2020 season, Adrian Newey will end his collaboration with Aston Martin after the Valkyrie project comes full circle. This means the automaker will be left to its own devices for the Valhalla and Vanquish, two mid-engined models that wouldn’t have happened if the Formula 1 engineer wouldn’t have worked on the Valkyrie.

aston-martin-vantage-roadster-prototyp.jpg V8 Vantage Roadster

aston-martin-dbx-v8-vantage-roadster-valkyrie-starting-production-this-year_15.jpg Valkyrie

aston-martin-vanquish-vision-concept-ogi.jpg Vanquish Vision concept
    Vantage convertible looks awesome.