The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,311
    I liked this 3.0 CSi BMW in Knives Out and was surprised how much screen time it got.
    icsi1.jpg
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I liked this 3.0 CSi BMW in Knives Out and was surprised how much screen time it got.
    icsi1.jpg

Oh I love the 70ies and 80ies BMW's! Was looking for a 5 series before deciding on the Alfa.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,311
    The E9 Coupés were my first love. When I was a boy, we lived next to a BMW dealership. They changed the two cars behind the window every couple of weeks, so I got a pretty good feeling for the changes to the models over the years. Sadly, my parents could not afford a Coupé back then and today good examples are equally very expensive.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,497
    https://www.netcarshow.com/bentley/2020-mulsanne_6.75_edition_by_mulliner/

LgWeUGF.jpg

Production of the Bentley Mulsanne is about to end. This Mulliner special edition will also be the very last Bentley with the 6.75L V8.

Bentley, for me, is not a very exciting brand anymore. The limousines look outdated and in-your-face unelegant, the Coupé I associate with the naff newly-rich. And the Bentayga is no beauty as well. Aston Martin is doing a much better job overall with their SUV and four-door cars.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Yeah I don't like Bentleys: the interiors are disgustingly blingy. And the headlamps have cut crystal glass: they look like your grab's wine decanter! :D
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,497
    mtm wrote: »
    Yeah I don't like Bentleys: the interiors are disgustingly blingy. And the headlamps have cut crystal glass: they look like your grab's wine decanter! :D

You can have the interior in any color you like.

I agree with the Bentayga not being "handsome", even though I think the RR Cullinan is even uglier. But Bentley sells incredibly well and AM is struggling to survive. Many "troo" AM fans dislike the DBX btw.

The Lamborghini Urus is not a particularly beautiful car either, but there's a waiting list already.

Both of you can do the math.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    JamesCraig wrote: »

It's not the colour: it's the design. Blingy with shiny metal everywhere and every surface overdesigned. It seems tasteless to me.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

I agree with the Bentayga not being "handsome", even though I think the RR Cullinan is even uglier. But Bentley sells incredibly well and AM is struggling to survive. Many "troo" AM fans dislike the DBX btw.

The Lamborghini Urus is not a particularly beautiful car either, but there's a waiting list already.

Of course, just like what happened to Porsche, but it's not the fans that buy the cars, it's the people that have the money. And taste and money only go hand in hand in a very small percentage of the population.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Of course, just like what happened to Porsche, but it's not the fans that buy the cars, it's the people that have the money. And taste and money only go hand in hand in a very small percentage of the population.

Yes indeed, these guys know their market and it’s probably not the guys who wear ‘Aston Martin Racing’ Hackett tops! :D
    (Although they are horrible so it may well be ;) )

Even a pink interior is possible haha.

The DBX has about 1800 preorders, I really hope that it'll save the brand.

As you know, I've never been a big fan of Porsche, but I do like the Macan. The first generation Cayenne is one of the ugliest cars ever made imho.

And nobody should ever listen only to their fans.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Anybody who spends that kind of money on a 1996 7-series with that mileage should immediately be placed under guardianship, no matter what celebrity (and I can't stand rap, and couldn't care less about the guy in question) was killed inside of it. A car like that, without the story behind it, goes for between 18,000 Euros (and that's an Alpina!) and 38,000 (armored!) right now on mobile.de.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Anybody who spends that kind of money on a 1996 7-series with that mileage should immediately be placed under guardianship, no matter what celebrity (and I can't stand rap, and couldn't care less about the guy in question) was killed inside of it. A car like that, without the story behind it, goes for between 18,000 Euros (and that's an Alpina!) and 38,000 (armored!) right now on mobile.de.

I'm afraid it's bit late for the armoured car.....

but I agree completely.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2020 Posts: 13,882

but I agree completely.

I would post the 'shots fired' meme, but I feel that might be deeply innapropriate.

but I agree completely.

I would post the 'shots fired' meme, but I feel that might be deeply innapropriate.

:-?
    Talking about BMW: Classic car prices are not what they used to be a few years ago. Even a TWINE classic like this BMW Z8 from 2001 only saw a bid of 140 000 USD, but that was still under the asking price at a recent Bonhams auction.
    But I guess you can still own cheaper Bond cars by looking at Z3s.

e9305f04-11f8-4ea7-a476-240e23da831a-normal.jpg?view=desktop-inline
    Talking about BMW: Classic car prices are not what they used to be a few years ago. Even a TWINE classic like this BMW Z8 from 2001 only saw a bid of 140 000 USD, but that was still under the asking price at a recent Bonhams auction.

The Z3's biggest problem was that it was woefully underpowered. And my God, is the coupe ugly or what...

Yesterday I was driving behind a new 640d. One of the few BMW models I actually like.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The Z-series I quite like but that’s about it. Especially all those generic 3- or 5-series get me on my nerves. What happened to originality? Also looking at Audi and Mercedes when I say this.

Talking of not-so-expensive Bond cars, why not try and find one of those gorgeous Alfa Romeo GTV6’s from Octopussy?
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    The Z-series I quite like but that’s about it. Especially all those generic 3- or 5-series get me on my nerves. What happened to originality? Also looking at Audi and Mercedes when I say this.

Talking of not-so-expensive Bond cars, why not try and find one of those gorgeous Alfa Romeo GTV6’s from Octopussy?

I love that one:

eUwrpDg.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

The Z3's biggest problem was that it was woefully underpowered. And my God, is the coupe ugly or what...

You can find one with 230bhp no problem; that seems plenty of power for a little car like that to me. The main problem I understand is that it didn’t handle very well. I’m sure they’re great value for what they are though, and are becoming the go to car to base kit cars on recently.

I love that one:

eUwrpDg.jpg

Well if you want to spend heaps of money on maintaining it....... There's a reason why they're not expensive. And this coming from an alfa driver...

tbh I'd definately go for it if I had a garage. Without a garage they rot before your eyes I'm afraid.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I’d love one but the chances of finding a drivable one (which would stay that way) feel slim.

I love that one:

eUwrpDg.jpg

Well if you want to spend heaps of money on maintaining it....... There's a reason why they're not expensive. And this coming from an alfa driver...

tbh I'd definately go for it if I had a garage. Without a garage they rot before your eyes I'm afraid.

I'm aware of Alfa's bad reputation, especially during the seventies & eighties.

But it's a cool car. ;) ;))
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.

I love that one:

eUwrpDg.jpg

Just a slight stiffness coming on. Beautiful car. It's also one of the most underrated car chases in the entire franchise, IMO.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I love the quality of the driving in that chase: Bond slides the car but he doesn’t get the back out too much with silly A-Team style oversteer: he drives like a rally driver, setting the car up perfectly for the corner. And of course the 180 that the police BMW does is amazing!
    I’m a bit nervous about how much the DB5 looks to be sliding in NTTD in fact: Bond appears to have got worse at driving...

I love that one:

eUwrpDg.jpg

I'm aware of Alfa's bad reputation, especially during the seventies & eighties.

But it's a cool car. ;) ;))

Oh it is! The guy I bought my alfa from has one. He bought it in the eighties, he's had to repaint it several times, he's had to replace almost all the body work and now only drives it when it's a dry and sunny day. But when he does, he loves it immensely.
    Octopussy wrote: »

I love that one:

eUwrpDg.jpg

Just a slight stiffness coming on. Beautiful car. It's also one of the most underrated car chases in the entire franchise, IMO.

OP is quite underrated indeed. :-?

The Hamster has got a new ride.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Did he divorce Oliver?