No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I envy the optimism. I won’t pass full judgment, but on paper this seems like a PC-type move. Specifically making the new character 007. Bond IS 007, and that’s what upsets me. Maybe the execution can surprise me.
    This. I don't care if the new 007 is a guy or a girl, white or black. I'm not angry because it's a woman. I'm angry because it's someone else, while 007 should always be James Bond, not Jane Smith or Winston Williams or Chris Jones.

Bond is an agent who has been given the number 007. If Bond is no longer active as an agent, then it makes sense the number should be assigned to another new and active agent. The idea James Bond 007 is one and the same is really how it has been sold to the public in terms of marketing the character and the films, but within the logic and drama of the films, 007 is just a number assigned to an agent who has earned 00 status.

Well said. If it serves the story I have no problem with another agent holding 007; the only thing that would irk me is if Bond came back and was given a different 00 number.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I envy the optimism. I won’t pass full judgment, but on paper this seems like a PC-type move. Specifically making the new character 007. Bond IS 007, and that’s what upsets me. Maybe the execution can surprise me.
    This. I don't care if the new 007 is a guy or a girl, white or black. I'm not angry because it's a woman. I'm angry because it's someone else, while 007 should always be James Bond, not Jane Smith or Winston Williams or Chris Jones.

My sentiments exactly.

My sentiments exactly.

But it doesn't really make sense, does it? 007 is an assigned code number. You seem to be saying, for some reason, Mi6 can only give 007 to a man called James Bond.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I only want Vesper to appear in a dream sequence, if Jack Wade will randomly pop up to deliver a cheeky "She's dead, Jimbo" line. Either that or, "For gods sake, Jimbo, i'm a retired CIA agent, not an medium". Either one will do.

I'm all in for Wade and a "Jimbo" phrase. But only if he is played by Joe Don Baker.
    :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =))

Oh naturally. I seeing Joe Don Baker when I wrote that.

As for the recent news. Ehh... comes off as if they're throwing a bone to the 'tolerant not tolerant' brigade. If so, then I don't think this will shut them up, but the opposite.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,000

My sentiments exactly.

But it doesn't really make sense, does it? 007 is an assigned code number. You seem to be saying, for some reason, Mi6 can only give 007 to a man called James Bond.

That’s the way it’s been for almost 60 years of this film series. The logo that represents this franchise is a stylized 007. I realize it’s just Bond’s ID number, and logically it could be reassigned, but in the public eye 007 is Bond. Call it a branding issue if you will, but that’s the way it’s been sold to audiences.
    The iconic Goldfinger poster doesn’t even bother to credit Connery as James Bond, simply “agent 007.”
    PC1033_master.jpg?width=768
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

My sentiments exactly.

That’s the way it’s been for almost 60 years of this film series. The logo that represents this franchise is a stylized 007. I realize it’s just Bond’s ID number, and logically it could be reassigned, but in the public eye 007 is Bond. Call it a branding issue if you will, but that’s the way it’s been sold to audiences.
    The iconic Goldfinger poster doesn’t even bother to credit Connery as James Bond, simply “agent 007.”
    PC1033_master.jpg?width=768

Well said, I completely agree with that
    This Italian newspaper confirms that filming in Italy is scheduled for 5 weeks. It also highlights that the "Tirrenica" coast at Maratea (Potenza) could be also a spot. Not sure it was already mentioned. For the rest, nothing really new: 400 guys from the production are expected over there and 800 extras involved in some scenes ("casting" upcoming in the next days).

https://bari.repubblica.it/cronaca/2019/07/12/news/james_bond_tra_i_sassi_a_matera_daniel_craig_interpreta_il_25esimo_episodio_di_007-231052984/
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    This movie doesn't need a subplot involving a female 007. There are already enough balls in the air with Blofeld, Madeline and Bond, plus the new Malek scheme. They need to be focus on how they are going to round out this arc of films in a satifsying and justfied manner, not preoccupied with political point scoring. Atleast they are getting this ojt of the way with Bond 25. Then we can go back to the old way of doing things when a new actor comes in, with Bond (shock) as 007, being handed his mission by M and simply going out his day. Its been a long time since we had that.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 3,164
    That's the thing - it is *only* an issue of branding. It's only really an issue for EON as to how they use 007 as a brand for this film or the future of the franchise. It's their thing to deal with, not for people here to go 'only one person can be 007'. Story wise this move works and if they've chosen to go down that route, they certainly seem to have an idea of how to solve this branding issue.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,343
    Lio007 wrote: »
    This Italian newspaper confirms that filming in Italy is scheduled for 5 weeks. It also highlights that the "Tirrenica" coast at Maratea (Potenza) could be also a spot.

Yep I reported that some days ago. Maratea's Statale 18 is officially a location for the movie and obviously cars will be involved.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 4,619

Probably the best news I've read about Cary Fukunaga's Untitled Event Film so far! I've been on board with the idea of a temporary female 007 since it first was rumoured, but I have to admit that at first I did not want Lashana Lynch to play that role. Then I slowly warmed to her and now I'm very pleased!
    peter wrote: »
    B25 is not kissing the ass of PC, no matter the spin.
    We will have to wait and see. As much as I like the idea of a female 007 at the beginning of the movie, if Bond never gets his number back then it is kissing the ass of PC.
    antovolk wrote: »
    That's the thing - it is *only* an issue of branding. It's only really an issue for EON as to how they use 007 as a brand for this film or the future of the franchise. It's their thing to deal with, not for people here to go 'only one person can be 007'. Story wise this move works and if they've chosen to go down that route, they certainly seem to have an idea of how to solve this branding issue.

You can’t reasonably expect to suddenly turn and go against 60 years worth of branding ingrained in the minds of the public. The franchise has spent the entirety of the longest running film series in history associating James Bond and 007 as one and the same; interchangeable.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Bond is an agent who has been given the number 007. If Bond is no longer active as an agent, then it makes sense the number should be assigned to another new and active agent. The idea James Bond 007 is one and the same is really how it has been sold to the public in terms of marketing the character and the films, but within the logic and drama of the films, 007 is just a number assigned to an agent who has earned 00 status.
    Does it? There are only three 00 agents at the same time, no more than that. If whenever an agent dies his number is given to his replacement how can a 007 even exist? In Forever and a day (which is pretty good but not Fleming's, hence not canon) Bond only adopts the 007 codename from another agent because he wants to send his enemies a message (and even then it was pretty stupid and Horowitz clearly did it only because he wanted the book to open with the "007 is dead" bs)
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 6,677

You can’t reasonably expect to suddenly turn and go against 60 years worth of branding ingrained in the minds of the public. The franchise has spent the entirety of the longest running film series in history associating James Bond and 007 as one and the same; interchangeable.

Bond will be 007. In the film there will be a temporary gimmick in which Lynch will be 007. And you'll have tons of fun with innuendos and double entendres. So much so, that while Lynch will be 007, the simple reference to it as being Bond's old number will make him more 007 than her. Hope that was clear. These are my hopes, anyway.

The thing is, it's just a gimmick. They don't have the minds to create a brilliant spy thriller story, so they're using some gimmicks. Hey, I'm all for positivism, but the last eleven years have taught me that they don't have the ability to come up with outstanding narratives. So I won't wait for them. I just want a fun and beautiful Bond film. If one day, they decide to stop with the gimmicks, homages,..., and truly tap into some intelligent narrative, I'll be over the moon. But it probably won't be now. Not with all these elements from past films and this sort of gimmickry.

I have no doubt that Phoebe and Cary will deliver an intelligent script with a so so narrative. The dialogue will be brilliant this time around, but the story will probably be...meh. And it will all look amazing ;)
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 1,533
    I thought you were gonna leave if Waltz returned, Panchito.
    Remington wrote: »

We all did. And if Italy was Italy. Two reasons right there. But he now says he's a disaster tourist. And Barbara Broccoli is the incongruous one ;)
    Diabolical
    Univex wrote: »

The thing is, it's just a gimmick. They don't have the minds to create a brilliant spy thriller story, so they're using some gimmicks. Hey, I'm all for positivism, but the last eleven years have taught me that they don't have the ability to come up with outstanding narratives. So I won't wait for them. I just want a fun and beautiful Bond film. If one day, they decide to stop with the gimmicks, homages,..., and truly tap into some intelligent narrative, I'll be over the moon. But it probably won't be now. Not with all these elements from past films and this sort of gimmickry.

I have no doubt that Phoebe and Cary will deliver an intelligent script with a so so narrative. The dialogue will be brilliant this time around, but the story will probably be...meh. And it will all look amazing ;)

Well, since SP ended with Bond "choosing life" leaving the MI6, makes sense they promoted a new one. Plus Bond has always followed trends throughout the franchise, so after all the talking I'm not surprised about this idea of a female 007. They even wanted to do that back in 2001, after all.

• edited July 2019 Posts: 4,619
    Whether this female 007 idea will work well or not mainly depends on who 007 will be at the end of the film. If Bond is 007 at the end or Bond gets his number back during the film and then retires/dies, then most viewers will be OK with it I think, but outrage is guaranteed either way. Get ready for hundreds of negative articles and a huge right wing backlash. Seriously, it will be brutal.

This is easily Barbara's boldest move since casting Craig, I think she is well aware of the risks and the coming onslaught of criticism, but I think it will pay off in the end.
    Remington wrote: »
    That was a long time ago, since then I have said that I'm OK with one or two scenes with Blofeld behind bars, which is what we will get.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited July 2019 Posts: 2,252
    If they go with the 007 branding then they can cast anyone as 007. Including a black actor or a female or....both to be extra PC. Hmm the casting at the moment is interesting...will she be the new 007...for Bond 26???
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 4,400
    w2bond wrote: »
    If they go with the 007 branding then they can cast anyone as 007. Including a black actor or a female or....both to be extra PC. Hmm the casting at the moment is interesting...will she be the new 007...for Bond 26???

Isn't it empowering for people of all ethnicities and races to see a strong black female lead? The only thing this disrupts is the status quo.......

Has anyone thought of the possibility that Eon may move forward with a series of films with Lynch as 007? Perhaps she is the next iteration of the character and any future (actual) Bond films will see Nomi and Bond team up......

I hope they keep Nomi's (or should we say 007's) look similar to this:

la-1551399655-5gegytm48f-snap-image

Lashana+Lynch+Marvel+Studios+Captain+Marvel+OU81xo8sAoKl.jpg

She's really cool and edgy. I'm into her.

She also has a lovely voice and seemingly a very engaging personality

Surprised people are upset by this. It hardly matters if its right for the story.

I'm VERY interested by these rumours that Miranda Frost in DAD was supposed to be 007. That's the first I've heard of that. Is that true?????
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Frost was originally named Gala Brand, I know that much. Her being 007 is news to me.

Isn't it empowering for people of all ethnicities and races to see a strong black female lead? The only thing this disrupts is the status quo.......

Has anyone thought of the possibility that Eon may move forward with a series of films with Lynch as 007?

It certainly depends on the reception of 25. But since Bond is still a family driven business, I don't see them doubling the size of the franchise. They are barely able to release a film every 3/4 years.
    Univex wrote: »

Bond will be 007. In the film there will be a temporary gimmick in which Lynch will be 007. And you'll have tons of fun with innuendos and double entendres. So much so, that while Lynch will be 007, the simple reference to it as being Bond's old number will make him more 007 than her. Hope that was clear. These are my hopes, anyway.

If they actually go with this gimmick and it isn't just a tabloid rumor, I certainly hope your version of events is how they choose to execute this.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 5,767
    matt_u wrote: »
    Anytime I watch Craig’s first 3, I never think of the villains as SPECTRE agents.

And you're right Sir... because based on SP, they are NOT. In the movie they explicitly say that previous villains were LINKED to SPECTRE, not that they were actually former members. Q reveals that based on a genetic research Sciarra's ring contains digital files linking Blofeld to the previous villains, meaning those people had interactions with some SPECTRE members. The only SPECTRE agent revelead in SP was Mr. White.

LeChiffre wasn't even an "agent". He was an independent banker who financed world's terrorist organizations, which was killed by White because he failed SPECTRE trust. No agent at all.

Greene was a member of QUANTUM organization, a division of the much larger SPECTRE, which accrues power and influence through world finance and geopolitics. The fact that Quantum is a subsidiary organization is important because in Fleming's Thunderball SPECTRE is described as a corporation ruled by top level individuals from six of the world's greatest criminal organisations, with Blofeld as the supreme boss. So the fact that in the films Quantum organization is linked to SPECTRE is perfectly in line with the books.

Silva was a freelance cyber-terrorist who offered his services, and I quote, "to the highest bidder". So using SPECTRE resources in order to destabilise British intelligence, paving the way to the 9 Eyes program, in order to gain his revenge doesn't make him a SPECTRE agent. SF establish Silva as a freelance terrorist, and SP reference him just as connected to the organization. This may be a stretch, but as far as we know it's even possibile that he didn't know what SPECTRE was.

So saying that previous villains were SPECTRE agents is just wrong, or at least feels like an over-simplification.

I like your way of thinking about it. I suppose they don’t explicitly say those guys were SPECTRE agents, but the film explains the situation so sloppily and it’s been widely assumed by most they are. Either way though, it’s dumb how Blofeld claims to be “author of all Bond’s pain,” and is suddenly directly or indirectly responsible for all the action prior to SP.
    @matt_u, @FoxRox, very good Posts from both of you.

I only want Vesper to appear in a dream sequence, if Jack Wade will randomly pop up to deliver a cheeky "She's dead, Jimbo" line. Either that or, "For gods sake, Jimbo, i'm a retired CIA agent, not an medium". Either one will do.
    Aah very good ones, @MajorDSmythe! I´m on board with any of them. It´s a crime Jack Wade didn´t appear in every Bond film since GE. I would have loved to learn more About Jack´s gardening.
    Has anyone thought of the possibility that Eon may move forward with a series of films with Lynch as 007? Perhaps she is the next iteration of the character and any future (actual) Bond films will see Nomi and Bond team up......
    They might try, but if they do they will fail.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Frost was originally named Gala Brand, I know that much. Her being 007 is news to me.
    That's news to me too. Unused DAD documentation shows Frost was 0069, and Brand, 0089.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited July 2019 Posts: 45,489
    I can see it now. Bond and Nomi in Ms office. He says "Have a seat, 007." They reply "Thank you".in unison, then exchange looks, Bond looking a little perplexed.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    matt_u wrote: »

Has anyone thought of the possibility that Eon may move forward with a series of films with Lynch as 007?

It certainly depends on the reception of 25. But since Bond is still a family driven business, I don't see them doubling the size of the franchise. They are barely able to release a film every 3/4 years.
    Maybe we'll get two 007 films a decade, one with Bond and one with Lynch.