No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 1,533
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I really want the villain of B25 to be non-SPECTRE. The silly retcon still bothers me from SP. Anytime I watch Craig’s first 3, I never think of the villains as SPECTRE agents.

You and me both man. Spectre and Bloberhauser were behind Le Chiffre and Greene? Sorry. That was Quantum. Silva was his own thing.
    Remington wrote: »
    I really want the villain of B25 to be non-SPECTRE. The silly retcon still bothers me from SP. Anytime I watch Craig’s first 3, I never think of the villains as SPECTRE agents.

You and me both man. Spectre and Bloberhauser were behind Le Chiffre and Greene? Sorry. That was Quantum. Silva was his own thing.

I was okay enough (still very bad execution in SP) with Quantum being part of SPECTRE (pretty sure Quantum was literally created just because they didn't have the rights to SPECTRE at the time). Silva DEFINITELY seemed like he was out on his own. It'd be nice for Craig to at least get one non-SPECTRE foe for the sake of variety. Probably not going to happen though. For whatever reason they felt the need to make his films more connected. I still can watch and enjoy the first 3 without thinking about SP though. They could have at least tried a lot better at explaining the connections, which were glazed over way too quickly.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I don't think anyone does.

It would have helped if they had merely stuck to the notion that Quantum had Spectre as a shadow organization behind it and that LeChiffre was simply the money guy but little else. Silva should have been left out completely.

But as it is now, we're supposed to think that every opponent Bond's ever faced since 2006 is a Spectre agent. Okay, almost. Good thing they didn't include Dreyden and his contacts. We dodged that bullet.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I don't think anyone does.

It would have helped if they had merely stuck to the notion that Quantum had Spectre as a shadow organization behind it and that LeChiffre was simply the money guy but little else. Silva should have been left out completely.

But as it is now, we're supposed to think that every opponent Bond's ever faced since 2006 is a Spectre agent. Okay, almost. Good thing they didn't include Dreyden and his contacts. We dodged that bullet.

Cogs like Dimitrios and Carlos may or may not be SPECTRE also. Let’s hope they don’t retcon the 1962-2002 entries without SPECTRE; can you imagine a George Lucas type move with them CG-ing a SPECTRE ring on every villain? :))
    Shardlake wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I know some like SPECTRE and actually think it was better than SF, I personally can't comprehend it but I'm not considering myself hysterical over it.

My opinion as it was the biggest let down of the era and because of the potential squandered it remains bottom of the pile for me.
    Without wanting to derail countless pages discussing the wonders of the clapperboard outside the Rutland Arms, just out of curiosity, what potential did you feel was actually squandered in SP?

The potential to properly own the idea of introducing SPECTRE to this era, have a proper Blofeld that sends chills up the spine.

I feel so strongly about this that I started to write a treatment of my version and what I would have done.

That has now expanded to more than just my contribution and I have a professional very talented screenwriter our own @peter collaborating on this with me and I can tell you now it's evolving considerably.

I know some would have preferred that EON saved the rights for the next Bond but if they were going to go there they could have thought it out better than this.

We are coming to the end of our 1st draft, I say we Peter has really made this fly.

Look I know someone isn't going to say lets shoot this sucker and when all said and done it's just a fan project but I'm pretty sure in saying we'll deliver something considerably better to what was released in 2015.

We will share the finished product here for all to see when it's ready.
    Okay, sounds interesting. Thanks for replying @Shardlake. I don't disagree with saving Blofeld for the next 007 rather than rushing it out for a Bond that's not going to be sticking around long enough to give him a proper build-up.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    I'm really not a fan of M's hair style. It doesn't suit Ralph in the slightest.
    Umm, he is heavily balding, no hairstyle is going to really suit him. Yes, Ralph would look better with a shaved head, but this hairstyle is a perfect choice for M in my opinion.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 1,215
    Video of filming a scene between Bond and M.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    I'm really not a fan of M's hair style. It doesn't suit Ralph in the slightest.
    Umm, he is heavily balding, no hairstyle is going to really suit him. Yes, Ralph would look better with a shaved head, but this hairstyle is a perfect choice for M in my opinion.

I was more so referrer to the buzz cut at the sides, where he actually has hair. It just looks too short.

At least they've not given him a bad wig/hair piece.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 4,400
    The Waltz rumours are interesting especially in context of some the news/speculation surrounding the film. I say this in respect to the returning cast members who are either confirmed or rumoured:
    • Ralph Fiennes
    • Ben Whishaw
    • Naomie Harris
    • Rory Kinnear
    • Jeffrey Wright
    • Lea Seydoux
    • Christoph Waltz
    • Eva Green (purely speculation at this point)

But it's clear that CJF wants to wrap up the Craig era. I think the clear decision to include as many of Bond's past colleagues in the film adds weight to the theory that Eva Green will appear in some capacity.

Or do we think the cast is looking too cluttered if she were to join? It may make the film way too bloated.

47284cd1d436a22628626ecb6bf56e2f.jpg

I'm thinking dream sequences such as the opening of Fallout:

• edited July 2019 Posts: 12,270
    Eva Green returning just sounds like a bad idea. Vesper was one of the very best Bond girls, but she’s dead now, and it’s time to look ahead instead of the past. This was one of SP’s problems.
    Eva Green returning just sounds like a bad idea. Vesper was one of the very best Bond girls, but she’s dead now, and it’s time to look ahead instead of the past. This was one of SP’s problems.

Completely agree on Vesper. They should leave her well alone.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    The Waltz rumours are interesting especially in context of some the news/speculation surrounding the film. I say this in respect to the returning cast members who are either confirmed or rumoured:
    • Ralph Fiennes
    • Ben Whishaw
    • Naomie Harris
    • Rory Kinnear
    • Jeffrey Wright
    • Lea Seydoux
    • Christoph Waltz
    • Eva Green (purely speculation at this point)

But it's clear that CJF wants to wrap up the Craig era. I think the clear decision to include as many of Bond's past colleagues in the film adds weight to the theory that Eva Green will appear in some capacity.

Or do we think the cast is looking too cluttered if she were to join? It may make the film way too bloated.

47284cd1d436a22628626ecb6bf56e2f.jpg

I'm thinking dream sequences such as the opening of Fallout:

I highly doubt it that we are going to get a dream sequence something along the past , a flashback, could be but never a dream that's what separate James bond franchise from others for me.
    I cant think of any way to include Vesper that wouldn't feel forced. If they do go down that route, I would be afraid that would impact my impression of CR/QoS. The whole continuity think of SP certainly did with every villain of the Craig era.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Sounds like a terrible idea. I really do hope they stay well away from it.
  • RC7RC7
    Univex wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    If Bond 25 is as good as SP, consider me pleased.

I'm one of the biggest fan of SP inhere* but I have to say that my expectations are so high that I truly hope we're in for something more special.

*On a side note, I'm lucky enough that I can enjoy both "Mendes depressing take" and some Moore or Brosnan atrocious entries without feeling the need to leave the theatre or turning the TV off. Every Bond entry has ALWAYS something to enjoy or appreciate.

Exactly, even DUD has that bit in Cuba (Cadiz) with the "delectados" and Raoul.

For me Bond25 already excels in that department, with the sail boat and the harpoon gun scenes in Jamaica.

For me there has to be a level of bias (sometimes unconscious) if you’re a Bond fan where your default is to be defensive most of the time. It’s a little like following a football team (Not the American type), where you can recognise the flaws but you’re basically ‘all in’ regardless, other than the odd occasion where you have to say, no, that was unacceptable to me.

@Shardlake is a perfect example. ‘Really, really’ didn’t like SP (putting it mildly) but is going into B25 with optimism, like every football fan going into the new season, despite what’s gone before. That’s what I recognise as being a Bond fan personally. I don’t get this new breed who seem to exist only to be relentlessly pissed off.
    Would be way better if they brought vesper back instead of Madeline. What if spectre recovered vespers body from Venice and somehow managed to revive her, maybe even with Maleks dangerous new technology.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,185
    People should let it go... The bitch is dead.

This is not a comic book film where characters never really die. I'm all for a gravestone visit though.
    RC7 wrote: »

I'm one of the biggest fan of SP inhere* but I have to say that my expectations are so high that I truly hope we're in for something more special.

*On a side note, I'm lucky enough that I can enjoy both "Mendes depressing take" and some Moore or Brosnan atrocious entries without feeling the need to leave the theatre or turning the TV off. Every Bond entry has ALWAYS something to enjoy or appreciate.

For me Bond25 already excels in that department, with the sail boat and the harpoon gun scenes in Jamaica.

For me there has to be a level of bias (sometimes unconscious) if you’re a Bond fan where your default is to be defensive most of the time. It’s a little like following a football team (Not the American type), where you can recognise the flaws but you’re basically ‘all in’ regardless, other than the odd occasion where you have to say, no, that was unacceptable to me.

@Shardlake is a perfect example. ‘Really, really’ didn’t like SP (putting it mildly) but is going into B25 with optimism, like every football fan going into the new season, despite what’s gone before. That’s what I recognise as being a Bond fan personally. I don’t get this new breed who seem to exist only to be relentlessly pissed off.

I’m at a level of cautious optimism for B25 myself. Because of the cast similarities I have a few worries about it being too much like how SP was (which is one of my least favorite Bond entries), but it can really go any way as of now. I’m a little concerned, but going in with an open mind still. I really like a lot of the filming shown off.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,343
    Anytime I watch Craig’s first 3, I never think of the villains as SPECTRE agents.

And you're right Sir... because based on SP, they are NOT. In the movie they explicitly say that previous villains were LINKED to SPECTRE, not that they were actually former members. Q reveals that based on a genetic research Sciarra's ring contains digital files linking Blofeld to the previous villains, meaning those people had interactions with some SPECTRE members. The only SPECTRE agent revelead in SP was Mr. White.

LeChiffre wasn't even an "agent". He was an independent banker who financed world's terrorist organizations, which was killed by White because he failed SPECTRE trust. No agent at all.

Greene was a member of QUANTUM organization, a division of the much larger SPECTRE, which accrues power and influence through world finance and geopolitics. The fact that Quantum is a subsidiary organization is important because in Fleming's Thunderball SPECTRE is described as a corporation ruled by top level individuals from six of the world's greatest criminal organisations, with Blofeld as the supreme boss. So the fact that in the films Quantum organization is linked to SPECTRE is perfectly in line with the books.

Silva was a freelance cyber-terrorist who offered his services, and I quote, "to the highest bidder". So using SPECTRE resources in order to destabilise British intelligence, paving the way to the 9 Eyes program, in order to gain his revenge doesn't make him a SPECTRE agent. SF establish Silva as a freelance terrorist, and SP reference him just as connected to the organization. This may be a stretch, but as far as we know it's even possibile that he didn't know what SPECTRE was.

So saying that previous villains were SPECTRE agents is just wrong, or at least feels like an over-simplification.

• edited July 2019 Posts: 3,164
    Suggested it on Twitter - how about being back Kurylenko as Camille? She is after all also an agent...would have been cool to see her as Felix's CIA counterpart for instance. She's the only major Craig era character who's still alive who's not yet confirmed back for this film.

Vesper on the other hand - I highly doubt, even in flashback/dream sequence form (as possibly effective as it can be - like Famke Janssen in The Wolverine).
    Anytime I watch Craig’s first 3, I never think of the villains as SPECTRE agents.

And you're right Sir... because based on SP, they are NOT. In the movie they explicitly say that previous villains were LINKED to SPECTRE, not that they were actually former members. Q reveals that based on a genetic research Sciarra's ring contains digital files linking Blofeld to the previous villains, meaning those people had interactions with some SPECTRE members. The only SPECTRE agent revelead in SP was Mr. White.

LeChiffre wasn't even an "agent". He was an independent banker who financed world's terrorist organizations, which was killed by White because he failed SPECTRE trust. No agent at all.

Greene was a member of QUANTUM organization, a division of the much larger SPECTRE, which accrues power and influence through world finance and geopolitics. The fact that Quantum is a subsidiary organization is important because in Fleming's Thunderball SPECTRE is described as a corporation ruled by top level individuals from six of the world's greatest criminal organisations, with Blofeld as the supreme boss. So the fact that in the films Quantum organization is linked to SPECTRE is perfectly in line with the books.

Silva was a freelance cyber-terrorist who offered his services, and I quote, "to the highest bidder". So using SPECTRE resources in order to destabilise British intelligence, paving the way to the 9 Eyes program, in order to gain his revenge doesn't make him a SPECTRE agent. SF establish Silva as a freelance terrorist, and SP reference him just as connected to the organization. This may be a stretch, but as far as we know it's even possibile that he didn't know what SPECTRE was.

So saying that previous villains were SPECTRE agents is just wrong, or at least feels like an over-simplification.

I like your way of thinking about it. I suppose they don’t explicitly say those guys were SPECTRE agents, but the film explains the situation so sloppily and it’s been widely assumed by most they are. Either way though, it’s dumb how Blofeld claims to be “author of all Bond’s pain,” and is suddenly directly or indirectly responsible for all the action prior to SP.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,293

Try being an Arsenal fan right now…

I'm cautiously optimistic about Bond 25, like I used to be about Arsenal before. They wouldn't compete for the title, but could still compete for the cup. Translated into "Bond", that would be that I won't expect the film to top my rankings, but still hope that it might have it's moments, with occasional highlights or maybe even be the best of the series in one department; car chase, for example.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Suggested it on Twitter - how about being back Kurylenko as Camille?

Highly doubt that will happen, but I'll happily see Olga Kurylenko back in a Bond film. :x
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Would be way better if they brought vesper back instead of Madeline. What if spectre recovered vespers body from Venice and somehow managed to revive her, maybe even with Maleks dangerous new technology.

I think it would be a bad idea. Dead should stay dead.
    If EON want Eva Green back I hope it will be a recording of "Vesper Lynd Interrogation" from SPECTRE watched by 007 or MI6.
  • RC7RC7

I'm cautiously optimistic about Bond 25, like I used to be about Arsenal before. They wouldn't compete for the title, but could still compete for the cup. Translated into "Bond", that would be that I won't expect the film to top my rankings, but still hope that it might have it's moments, with occasional highlights or maybe even be the best of the series in one department; car chase, for example.

You have my sympathies, naturally. You aren’t winning the title any time soon.

I guess my point, in a round about way, is that some ‘fans’ act like if, to use the football analogy again, that if they aren’t clearly going to win the title then they won’t bother watching them. Which is ludicrous.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,293

You have my sympathies, naturally. You aren’t winning the title any time soon.

I guess my point, in a round about way, is that some ‘fans’ act like if, to use the football analogy again, that if they aren’t clearly going to win the title then they won’t bother watching them. Which is ludicrous.

Indeed they won't…

And I definitely agree; no need to write the film off or anything like that. I have my definite no-no's though, but there's been no confirmation of those things happening - yet.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I'd also suggest seeing the latest film is like hearing the latest song from a favorite band or performer--it may take a few listens to really judge it and firm up an opinion.

Doesn't make sense to fall on one's sword on the first viewing. Or even to decide in advance that one doesn't like "the production" and therefore the film, go into it all worked up knives out.

• RC7RC7
    I'd also suggest seeing the latest film is like hearing the latest song from a favorite band or performer--it may take a few listens to really judge it and firm up an opinion.

Doesn't make sense to fall on one's sword on the first viewing. Or even to decide in advance that one doesn't like "the production" and therefore the film, go into it all worked up knives out.

Precisely.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,343

I like your way of thinking about it. I suppose they don’t explicitly say those guys were SPECTRE agents, but the film explains the situation so sloppily and it’s been widely assumed by most they are. Either way though, it’s dumb how Blofeld claims to be “author of all Bond’s pain,” and is suddenly directly or indirectly responsible for all the action prior to SP.

The film didn't even explained the situation. They just said they were LINKED with Blofeld. Stop. But the logic behind my post explains the situation pretty well imo, so every time I rewatch previous entries I look at things this way. I actually enjoy watching LeChiffre asking: "Tell THEM I'll find the money". That THEM now means SPECTRE top-members, which is cool. Or thinking about Silva mentioning "the highest bidder", which eventually turns out to be Blofeld. It's also cool the notion that all Silva's actions were focused on paving the way to the 9 Eyes. Makes Blofeld even a far more methodical and diabolic villain, and it is proof that for Blofeld business always comes first, even if there's some people after 4 years that still thinks the did everything he did just because "daddy didn't loved me enough"...

BTW, back on topic...

I love M's look. He seems more authoritative than in SP.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I only want Vesper to appear in a dream sequence, if Jack Wade will randomly pop up to deliver a cheeky "She's dead, Jimbo" line. Either that or, "For gods sake, Jimbo, i'm a retired CIA agent, not an medium". Either one will do.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,979

Agreed. Of course Tracy is my favorite but they never actually had her come back. She was mentioned every other film or so for a while.
    Remington wrote: »

I was okay enough (still very bad execution in SP) with Quantum being part of SPECTRE (pretty sure Quantum was literally created just because they didn't have the rights to SPECTRE at the time). Silva DEFINITELY seemed like he was out on his own. It'd be nice for Craig to at least get one non-SPECTRE foe for the sake of variety. Probably not going to happen though. For whatever reason they felt the need to make his films more connected. I still can watch and enjoy the first 3 without thinking about SP though. They could have at least tried a lot better at explaining the connections, which were glazed over way too quickly.

Here's a question: was Eon already pursuing the rights to SPECTRE in 2005? Did they write it as "our organization" so that they potentially could use it for the next movie after CR?