No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited July 2019 Posts: 1,215
    matt_u wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Lashana Lynch to play '007' in Bond 25
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7244671/Thought-007-never-woman-black-shes-James-Bond-hand-number-over.html

16009112-7244623-image-a-11_1563048356192.jpg

A movie insider said: 'There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says 'Come in 007', and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman.

It's happening....

In which case it won’t revert back to Bond.

Fair to speculate now that the Aston Martin Valkyrie belongs to Nomi, then?

This all seems a bit bizarre to me, and as you explained previously, @RC7, I think they're going to be inviting a bit of criticism later on. I mean, Bond will eventually get that agent number back. It's inevitable.

Sure, I don't see James with the Valhalla hyper-car.

Point, is: I'm fine with the idea of adding this kind of "twist" in the beginning. It would add a brand new element to deal with for the franchise. BUT, I wouldn't accept the idea of having another character playing 007 by the end of the film. And I honestly don't think they'll go this route, especially for the future of the franchise itself. 007 is James Bond.

Gotta remember, after this it's not like they won't go back to the usual status quo with the next actor....that's the advantage of the rebooted closed continuity sandbox Craig is playing in. They can make radical decisions like this. It's only for one film, come on people...

We live in an era where the continuity sometimes is more important to people than the film itself. Every new Marvel crap that comes out people are more interested in knowing how many post credit scenes there are and what are they about rather than care what the film is really about.

Do you believe EoN will choose to close the Craig era with a woman as 007 while then promoting again 007 after some years as a white male pretending what they did in 25 never happened?

Yes, I believe that. This series has never focused much on continuity and the Craig films seem to function as their own self-contained universe like The Dark Knight Trilogy. I think with Bond 26 we'll have a new Bond, new Mi6 staff, and that everything from CR - B25 never happened.
    jake24 wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7244671/Thought-007-never-woman-black-shes-James-Bond-hand-number-over.html

A movie insider said: 'There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says 'Come in 007', and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman.

It's happening....

This all seems a bit bizarre to me, and as you explained previously, @RC7, I think they're going to be inviting a bit of criticism later on. I mean, Bond will eventually get that agent number back. It's inevitable.

She could die, she could relinquish it, she could ask for another number...there are many ways for them to go.

Exactly. And almost all of those would invite further criticism from the very loud internet generation; because at the end of the day, all they'll see is a white man taking a black woman's spot. Her asking for another number might be the only one out of those that you listed that might dodge that sort of analysis.
    What scenario would make her ask for another number?

It depends on whether she's still alive at the end, and whether Craig's Bond is. But if he does return to service, maybe he asks for it back and she agrees?

Highly unlikely, of course. Almost guaranteed to not happen that way. But, just hypothetically....

It's far more likely that Lynch's agent doesn't survive or isn't still part of the service by the time the film ends, which is why I raised the above concerns/queries.

I think it's a pretty fresh idea and I look forward to seeing what they do with it - but if they screw it up, it could backfire badly.

Her not being in the photos with Craig, Fiennes and Kinnear today (at least from what I saw) leads me to believe she's gone by that point. Or she could be a double-agent, a villain. An even further twist. The new 007 is a baddie?

I'd think the most likely scenario is Bond still doesn't officially return to service at the end of this.

It's happening....

Point, is: I'm fine with the idea of adding this kind of "twist" in the beginning. It would add a brand new element to deal with for the franchise. BUT, I wouldn't accept the idea of having another character playing 007 by the end of the film. And I honestly don't think they'll go this route, especially for the future of the franchise itself. 007 is James Bond.

Gotta remember, after this it's not like they won't go back to the usual status quo with the next actor....that's the advantage of the rebooted closed continuity sandbox Craig is playing in. They can make radical decisions like this. It's only for one film, come on people...

We live in an era where the continuity sometimes is more important to people than the film itself. Every new Marvel crap that comes out people are more interested in knowing how many post credit scenes there are and what are they about rather than care what the film is really about.

Do you believe EoN will choose to close the Craig era with a woman as 007 while then promoting again 007 after some years as a white male pretending what they did in 25 never happened?

I think they'll find a way in the story to handle this very thing, I'm sure they're aware. At the same time, on a more general note, people have also become more understanding of reboots etc and therefore won't have a problem accepting that B26 won't carry on the events of B25 etc.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

It's happening....

Yes, I believe that. This series has never focused much on continuity and the Craig films seem to function as their own self-contained universe like The Dark Knight Trilogy. I think with Bond 26 we'll have a new Bond, new Mi6 staff, and that everything from CR - B25 never happened.

I am not so sure. True, the franchise never cared about continuity, but this would be extreme.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

It's happening....

She could die, she could relinquish it, she could ask for another number...there are many ways for them to go.

Exactly. And almost all of those would invite further criticism from the very loud internet generation; because at the end of the day, all they'll see is a white man taking a black woman's spot. Her asking for another number might be the only one out of those that you listed that might dodge that sort of analysis.

It depends on whether she's still alive at the end, and whether Craig's Bond is. But if he does return to service, maybe he asks for it back and she agrees?

Highly unlikely, of course. Almost guaranteed to not happen that way. But, just hypothetically....

It's far more likely that Lynch's agent doesn't survive or isn't still part of the service by the time the film ends, which is why I raised the above concerns/queries.

I think it's a pretty fresh idea and I look forward to seeing what they do with it - but if they screw it up, it could backfire badly.

Her not being in the photos with Craig, Fiennes and Kinnear today (at least from what I saw) leads me to believe she's gone by that point. Or she could be a double-agent, a villain. An even further twist. The new 007 is a baddie?

I'd think the most likely scenario is Bond still doesn't officially return to service at the end of this.

Which would be a great shame, I think. Irrespective of all the other details like who is 007 in the film and who isn't, I'd like to see Craig's Bond finally find some comfort in his work, especially after a five year gap.

But, I digress.....whatever suits the story they want to tell.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,343

It's happening....

It's happening....

I think they'll find a way in the story to handle this very thing, I'm sure they're aware. At the same time, on a more general note, people have also become more understanding of reboots etc and therefore won't have a problem accepting that B26 won't carry on the events of B25 etc.

Well, they are definitely aware. I'm more curious now than before. But now, since we live in the MeToo era, I think the chances of James gaining back his 007 status are close to 0.

But I have to say swichting from Lynch as 007 to Turner or whatever people hope it is not the same that switching from Bale to Affleck, or Garfield to Holland, speaking about people accepting reboots.
    I'n still not sold on the idea of a female 007. They need to have a brilliant way to play it out - right down to dialogue.
    Probably going to end with a female 007. Otherwise there’ll be immense backlash from the PC crowd. I’m not pleased with this news at all. I hope I can be somewhat pleasantly surprised with the results.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Probably going to end with a female 007. Otherwise there’ll be immense backlash from the PC crowd. I’m not pleased with this news at all. I hope I can be somewhat pleasantly surprised with the results.

I don't think that's quite where they're gonna go with it.
    peter wrote: »
    Before anyone gets their knickers in a bunch: times are changing around James Bond-- whether you agree or disagree, it's happening.

It's happening all around you.

However, as one of the lead writers (PWB) has already stated: Bond has to stay true to his character.

To me, that was an incredible statement, and I re-read it several times after it was published-- it made me that happy; she "got" the character. James Bond shouldn't change and he should remain firmly entrenched in his roots. That's what Ian Fleming's Bond is all about, after all... He doesn't exactly belong to the external world... He's a stranger...

And, as PWB has rightly ascertained, the women in the Craig era have all been quite three dimensional (I'd even include Madeleine, as far as backstory and character are concerned, it's just the way it was executed where it fell short, but; Vesper, Camille (even Fields, who knew she let her inexperience overwhelm her), Severine... these are the best collection of Bond women-- for me-- since Connery.

B25 is not kissing the ass of PC, no matter the spin. We have one of the lead, female, writers saying how good this era has been for women; she says Bond doesn't change, since he must stay true to his character, and; she has said she just wants the female actresses to pick up the script and be happy with their role-- that the characters are real and they can connect to the material. But that's what ALL writer's of films want. PWB just happens to write amazing female characters and puts them into amazing and uncomfortable scenes.

After watching her body of work, especially Fleabag, I'm sold on her unique talent to tackle and depict truthfulness and reality (from the absurd). She's a unique voice. I think the Bond community should embrace her, and; this idea of James Bond being replaced as 007? He's been gone for five years! He may have tried to disappear and stay off the grid. It's a very unique idea and one, I feel, is closer to Fleming (when Bond is given a different government number in YOLT as a diplomat).

Yes! I’d like to echo @CraigMooreOHMSS and say thank you @peter , the voice of reason.

• peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 2019 Posts: 8,521
    Before anyone gets their knickers in a bunch: times are changing around James Bond-- whether you agree or disagree, it's happening.

However, as one of the lead writers (PWB) has already stated: Bond has to stay true to his character.

To me, that was an incredible statement, and I re-read it several times after it was published-- it made me that happy; she "got" the character. James Bond shouldn't change and he should remain firmly entrenched in his roots. That's what Ian Fleming's Bond is all about, after all... He doesn't exactly belong to the external world... He's a stranger...

And, as PWB has rightly ascertained, the women in the Craig era have all been quite three dimensional (I'd even include Madeleine, as far as backstory and character are concerned, it's just the way it was executed where it fell short, but; Vesper, Camille (even Fields, who knew she let her inexperience overwhelm her), Severine... these are the best collection of Bond women-- for me-- since Connery.

B25 is not kissing the ass of PC, no matter the spin. We have one of the lead, female, writers saying how good this era has been for women; she says Bond doesn't change, since he must stay true to his character, and; she has said she just wants the female actresses to pick up the script and be happy with their role-- that the characters are real and they can connect to the material. But that's what ALL writer's of films want. PWB just happens to write amazing female characters and puts them into amazing and uncomfortable scenes.

After watching her body of work, especially Fleabag, I'm sold on her unique talent to tackle and depict truthfulness and reality (from the absurd). She's a unique voice. I think the Bond community should embrace her, and; this idea of James Bond being replaced as 007? He's been gone for five years! He may have tried to disappear and stay off the grid. It's a very unique idea and one, I feel, is closer to Fleming (when Bond is given a different government number in YOLT as a diplomat).

Good stuff as always, @peter

:)

Thanks, @CraigMooreOHMSS and @TR007 ! I trust your voice of reason as well, and I know that you have some spectacular characters in your own stories... This is what we strive for-- great stories, great characters (so actors want to play them)!

The papers will spin B25 as "woke", but I love the women from the 60s films (the best outside of the Craig era). They were wayyyyy ahead of the independent curve. Take Sylvia Trench. 1962. Out, very late at night, gambling, drinking, smoking. Just like our James Bond.

She challenges him after losing and tries to go for the win.

Although she loses, she breaks into this stranger's apartment to have sex with him (obviously)... That's one helluva an independent woman!!!! She knows what she wants, and she took it!

The 70s was a slightly weaker era, until Triple X and Naomi, and Holly Goodhead (although she had clunky and wooden lines); all were not damsels in distress.

In the 80s, apart from Stacy in AVTAK and Kara (TLD), we had Melina (out to kill); Octopussy (an international smuggler/gangster), Pam Bouvier (CIA) and Lupe (tough, street-wise moll);

In the 90s, I personally loved Xenia, but hated, HATED, the screaming, mothering Natalya...

I'd say the Brosnan era had the weakest women outside of Xenia-- Natalya was the mother, Lois Lane was good on paper, Wai Ling was soooooo unbelievably not attracted to Bond (and vice versa); Elektra was a great foil (Christmas Jones was, uh.........) , and; the less said about Halle Berry the better (an actress I love; I think of as sexy; she did her job in X-Men and; was amazing and vulnerable in Monsters Ball)

Historically, Bond has had an amazing run of mostly interesting women in most of the eras...

What we will see in B25 will be no different, just updating what we have already seen in the series!!!
    I envy the optimism. I won’t pass full judgment, but on paper this seems like a PC-type move. Specifically making the new character 007. Bond IS 007, and that’s what upsets me. Maybe the execution can surprise me.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,343
    Now I'm super curious about how they will market the movie. I honestly don't know how general audiences would react to a new Bond film - especially since Bond has always been a more male driven franchise - with the premise of a black woman as 007. Well, that's even more exciting, while still a little "worrying". In the end it all depend on the story and how they will handle this material. Since James Bond is still the hero of the film, I'm quite fine.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 15,818
    Remington wrote: »
    At this point, I think having the new 007 be a white guy would be ballsier than casting a black woman.

I don't hate this idea as much as others. I expected it. But like others have said, it sounds like EON is trying to be too PC, which Bond should never be.

By creating the Nomi character as the new 007, it doesn't seem so much like Eon being PC, but rather an "Eff you" to the endless media speculation that Bond himself should be female or of African descent. Seems they taken these constant rumors and turned it on it's head hopefully with a story and characters that will result in a classic Bond film.
    I imagine the end result will be: James bond will remain as he's always been and will be reinstated as 007. They could probably just call the film LICENCE RENEWED if that's the case.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    At this point, I think having the new 007 be a white guy would be ballsier than casting a black woman.

I don't hate this idea as much as others. I expected it. But like others have said, it sounds like EON is trying to be too PC, which Bond should never be.

By creating the Nomi character as the new 007, it doesn't seem so much like Eon being PC, but rather an "Eff you" to the endless media speculation that Bond himself should be female or of African descent. Seems they taken these constant rumors and turned it on it's head hopefully with a story and characters that will result in a classic Bond film.
    I imagine the end result will be: James bond will remain as he's always been and will be reinstated as 007 by the film's finale. They could probably just call the film LICENCE RENEWED if that's the case.

Or Licence Expired... :)

Good stuff as always, @peter

:)

Thanks, @CraigMooreOHMSS and @TR007 ! I trust your voice of reason as well, and I know that you have some spectacular characters in your own stories... This is what we strive for-- great stories, great characters (so actors want to play them)!

Flattery will get you everywhere, @peter ;)

I love Natalya, Xenia and Elektra. But yes, outside of those three the Brosnan era didn't live up to its potential on the Bond girl front.

I'm not quite as enthusiastic about the Craig era women as you are, as the last two films left a lot to be desired on that front (though Skyfall more than made up for it with a great performance from Dame Judi), but it looks like Lynch will have a fair bit to chew on in Bond 25, and under Fukanaga I think she'll certainly leave a mark, one way or another. As will a certain Cuban bombshell, too.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I imagine the end result will be: James bond will remain as he's always been and will be reinstated as 007 by the film's finale. They could probably just call the film LICENCE RENEWED if that's the case.

Or Licence Expired... :)

I like that, actually!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Then she must die.

So it's back to execution. First, I don't automatically believe Daily Mail and other sources.

I am on board with the concept that Bond "shouldn't be PC", but confronting the character with that is different and can be good storytelling.

So I won't rush to judgment on something like this until all the facts are in.

height_250_width_250_overlay_grosse_pointe_blank_thumb_1997.jpg

Regarding "Licence Expired", that may have a Canada copyright of all things.

25838863._SX98_.jpghttps://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11788

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'm agreeing with @peter and @antovolk on these developments.
    PC alarmists bound to spring up, but I'm not worried at all.
    We'll see how this shakes out. This could be a great move and a good, solid story. I'm very interested, but I don't want to know more details about the plot. I'll do my best to keep my boundaries intact enough.

Terrific development. Ripe for drama, comedy—all the ingredients one needs to surround Bond with interesting characters and relationships to navigate.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this isn't a new idea. It's a recycled one they had originally for Die Another Day and didn't end up using after the extreme rewrites in preproduction around/after the time Halle Berry came aboard.

Originally, I believe, Bond was to have returned from North Korea to find that a fellow agent named Gala Brand (who would later become Miranda Frost) now held the 007 number, and the film was essentially his story of earning it back. I always thought it a novel concept, so if that backstory's indeed true, I'm glad they've dusted it off.

I mean, it makes too much sense. If he's retired, why would he still 'have' that number?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,980

It's happening....

She's impressed by Bond in the field?
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    Terrific development. Ripe for drama, comedy—all the ingredients one needs to surround Bond with interesting characters and relationships to navigate.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this isn't a new idea. It's a recycled one they had originally for Die Another Day and didn't end up using after the extreme rewrites in preproduction around/after the time Halle Berry came aboard.

Originally, I believe, Bond was to have returned from North Korea to find that a fellow agent named Gala Brand (who would later become Miranda Frost) now held the 007 number, and the film was essentially his story of earning it back. I always thought it a novel concept, so if that backstory's indeed true, I'm glad they've dusted it off.

I mean, it makes too much sense. If he's retired, why would he still 'have' that number?

He wouldn't, not after five years, and especially after he quit in SP. People just get their knickers in a twist over race and gender.

It's happening....

Which, ultimately, is why I find it rather strange that this is the route they've taken.

Interesting, very different, and in many ways exciting nonetheless. I'm sure Nomi will be a great character and that Lynch will play her well. It also gives Craig some more stuff to work with, thematically.

Hard to
    To clarify, I have nothing wrong with a black female as a 00 agent. But James Bond, a male, IS 007. Why could she not be given another code number?

Wasn't he given the 00-number at the hospital? "Mr. and Mrs. Bond, you have a lovely baby 007."

And blofield was in the bassinet next to him plotting to make sure he got the breast milk from the nurse before Bond

It's happening....personally, I love this idea. I think it's a really cool and mischievous concept. I still have reservations about Lashana (though the Jamaica video did curtail them). I'm still a bit gutted that Lupita turned it down tbh.

Sounds like a knowing piss take at the idea of Bond being either black or a woman. Hugely suspect Bond will have the 007 number at the end. Suspect this is some kind of retelling of YOLT somehow. Bond given a different number as in YOLT the novel. Suspect he's missing presumed dead and they honour him by given him the 007 number and 'retiring' it like sports teams do for a famous player who has worn a particular number.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

It's happening....personally, I love this idea. I think it's a really cool and mischievous concept. I still have reservations about Lashana (though the Jamaica video did curtail them). I'm still a bit gutted that Lupita turned it down tbh.

I doubt this article. It’s Daily Mail, but it isn’t from Baz, so it could very well be complete garbage. Remember when they reported that the Rapide E would be Bond’s car? So far we’ve seen basically every Aston except the Rapide appear in this production. This story also claims that the term “Bond girl” has been banned and replaced with “Bond woman.” Didn’t Barbara herself recently say how some actresses preferred “woman” while others preferred “girl”? It certainly didn’t sound like she was ready to ban the use of the word girl.
    Wow. I’m seriously disappointed. They really are just catering to the PC crowd. My hype just dropped significantly.

If true, I agree completely. It’s ham-fisted and as heavy-handed as a Sunday afternoon animated morality tale. The latest in fad ethics shoved down your throat in an effort to stick a finger in the eye of tradition. A black, female 00 would be completely fine and the interplay between her and Bond could be very entertaining, but 007 is Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto

I doubt this article. It’s Daily Mail, but it isn’t from Baz, so it could very well be complete garbage. Remember when they reported that the Rapide E would be Bond’s car? So far we’ve seen basically every Aston except the Rapide appear in this production. This story also claims that the term “Bond girl” has been banned and replaced with “Bond woman.” Didn’t Barbara herself recently say how some actresses preferred “woman” while others preferred “girl”? It certainly didn’t sound like she was ready to ban the use of the word girl.
    Wow. I’m seriously disappointed. They really are just catering to the PC crowd. My hype just dropped significantly.

If true, I agree completely. It’s ham-fisted and as heavy-handed as a Sunday afternoon animated morality tale. The latest in fad ethics shoved down your throat in an effort to stick a finger in the eye of tradition. A black, female 00 would be completely fine and the interplay between her and Bond could be very entertaining, but 007 is Bond.

who killed largo... way back when...
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Agent DominOO7.

Maybe in tribute to Feldman there can be multiple OO7s in the film.

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

who killed largo... way back when...

That was neither ham-fisted nor did it usurp Bond as 007. Having anyone other than Bond carry the 007 number is a sacrilege. It’s the the stylized, trademarked, logo of the series; it is Bond.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I’m attracted to beautiful women of all ethnic backgrounds, and as far as strong, kick ass women in control, I was digging that over three decades ago whe Ellen Ripley was taking it to I’ll tempered xenomorphs.
    One thing that I look forward to in any Bond are beautiful women; with all deserved respect to her acting abilities, I don’t find Lashana the least bit attractive.
    I’m hoping what she brings to the role makes my personal taste irrelevant.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I only want Vesper to appear in a dream sequence, if Jack Wade will randomly pop up to deliver a cheeky "She's dead, Jimbo" line. Either that or, "For gods sake, Jimbo, i'm a retired CIA agent, not an medium". Either one will do.

I'm all in for Wade and a "Jimbo" phrase. But only if he is played by Joe Don Baker.
    :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =))
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited July 2019 Posts: 467
    It might be a sacrilege, but there's potential to toy with the formula for a scene or an entire act. And when the film ends, James Bond IS 007 once again.
    Bond has been gone for five years. Has MI6 gone down the toilet in the meantime? Probably not. The 00 section is still operational, they even reattributed the 007 code number to another agent, as if it weren't some holy relic that should be retired. This should be humiliating to Bond, who might have assumed he was irreplaceable and a factor in him now wanting to show everybody how much of an asset he can be. They may have even deliberately reassigned the number to another agent to piss him off and to lure him out of retirement to prove everybody something.

That may not be the route they're going with. I'm just saying that this idea can have potential if the writers take advantage of it. The key is the execution, as always.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Ok I'm just gonna say something quickly, we all know the franchise is having problems. That's a fact. Whats stopping that and what is holding them back is the idea of tradition and formula and homage.

One of the main reasons people were turned off by Spectre was because it felt like over 2 hours of homage. (I know not everyone thinks this) But this quite popular opinion shows you that change can be good.

The two both successful James Bond films had their own style, a new story, interesting newly constructed characters and still honoured the series for what it was. So why can't Bond 25 do that with an interesting black female character taking on the 007 title.

Now, while I understand people's connection with James Bond as 007 this isn't really about James Bond being replaced with someone else as the 00 because we all know even if Nomi is 007 by the end of the film, she won't be 007 in Bond 26.

We know that for a fact because Barbara herself has spoke about her opinion of a female James Bond and how it isn't necessary and so forth. So what's the problem?

If you're problem is that 007 is James Bond, that's at fault, because it's been proven over and over again that James Bond is still James Bond without the number. He doesn't introduce himself as "The names 7, 007."