What's your cup of tea?

Comments

I am one of those rare people apparently who adore both tea and coffee and don´t understand why there has to be a conflict there.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jobo wrote: »
    I am one of those rare people apparently who adore both tea and coffee and don´t understand why there has to be a conflict there.

They are both poison, so don t understand it, either.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,280
    peter wrote: »
    Swiss Force French Press Bodum. 34 ounces. Four heaping scoops of freshly and finely ground coffee. Pour boiled water to the top. With a wooden spoon, give it a few, quick swirls. Let sit for eight-to-ten minutes. Press. Pour. Drink. Heaven.

(no tea for me. Like Fleming and Bond, I could never stand it, much to the chagrin of my father who was, as a young man, a tea-taster in India!!)

That sounds great! Should start using my French press. Only collects dust at the moment.

What's a tea-master, @peter?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Torgeirtrap , my father was a tea-taster in India, which meant he literally tasted teas to see if they were good for market. His palate identified a check-list of items in order to give the tea a pass or a fail.

He would take a measured taste, swirl, and spit!

Here's an interesting article on the process:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/oct/07/how-do-i-become-tea-taster
    @Torgeirtrap , my father was a tea-taster in India, which meant he literally tasted teas to see if they were good for market. His palate identified a check-list of items in order to give the tea a pass or a fail.

He would take a measured taste, swirl, and spit!

Here's an interesting article on the process:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/oct/07/how-do-i-become-tea-taster

Thanks for the info! Sounds like an exotic job, really – both in terms of work duties and location.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It was-- he and my Mum's adventure while still young and before kids! A two year journey for them @Torgeirtrap ...!
    It was-- he and my Mum's adventure while still young and before kids! A two year journey for them @Torgeirtrap ...!

It sure must have been an adventure, @peter! :-)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Tea is at least a weaker poison, though.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Dragonpol wrote: »

(some) tea is medicine. Coffee on the other hand.....

I think the conflict follows out of a coffee-filled world which leaves too little for those who want a proper cup of tea. They have coffee machines in offices, but those tea-drinkers have to fend for themselves. So we end up beeing the feisty ones @peter, whaever Ian wrote about it! Different times, you see ;-)

I think the conflict follows out of a coffee-filled world which leaves too little for those who want a proper cup of tea. They have coffee machines in offices, but those tea-drinkers have to fend for themselves. So we end up beeing the feisty ones @peter, whaever Ian wrote about it! Different times, you see ;-)

Coffee is medicine for the soul!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

That's what the devil would say. It's utter darkness..... :-D

That's what the devil would say. It's utter darkness..... :-D

>:) ~O)

HilariousThisAddax-max-1mb.gif

So true!
    Nothing so funny as seeing people standing around with 'coffee and a fag'.

And nothing so disgusting as someone talking to you with stale coffee breath.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Coughing with coffee, you might say. ;)

Coughing with coffee, you might say. ;)

Got it in one,old chum !

Coffee tastes like it smells like it looks. I hate it.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Same here !

+1
    Ludovico wrote: »

I only take coffee if I've an early morning shift at work and am feeling very tired. It helps a bit. Only reason I ever use it. The higher caffeine content has its compensations! Otherwise, I'm strictly a tea person.
    Sitting here drinking a delightful cup of beautiful Etiopia Roba, smiling at all the anger and bitterness going on here. Bitter like a a strong and overly sented cup of Earl Grey! ;)

The taste of both tea and coffee depend highly on brand and quality obviously.
    Back on tea topic : Serendipity Infusions have a few very nice brews. I think I mentioned their Vietnam tea, which is very smooth for black tea. But they also have a very autumnal apple tea.
    Last summer we had 'summer strawberry' tea here (loose leaves). If you can find tht mix. It's lovely as can be for warm summer evenings.
    The Art and Science of Blending (BBC Radio 4):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0004f22

Quite an interesting short programme about tea blends I heard today on the car radio.
    My mother in law brought 'champagne tea' to the house. Anamazing blend. Problem is it isn't sold in this country and I keep on forgetting to write down the name of the brand. Really just about the best tea ever.
    My mother in law brought 'champagne tea' to the house. Anamazing blend. Problem is it isn't sold in this country and I keep on forgetting to write down the name of the brand. Really just about the best tea ever.

It certainly sounds like the champagne of teas, @CommanderRoss! ;)
    I have 6 types of green tea,in the office :

Normal,lemon,pomegranate,mint,ginger,blueberry & blackberry.

Love them all.
    We went to Thame last Saturday, but sadly but sadly did not have time to stop at Jollybrew.
    Hate green tea, except for washing my face with it. I call it cabbage tea. Now, there are some cosmetic products based on it that do wonders for your skin. True thing.

Now, black tea, on the other hand, is lovely, particularly Orange Pekoe. English breakfast and Earl Grey, with its bergamot oil are wonderful. With a drop of milk on a winter's day. Lovely.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 17,804

Love them all.

I've never been a big fan of green tea. I find it much too anaemic for my taste.

Perhaps the answer lies in using two tea bags to make it a bit stronger, which is how I think you take it, @barryt007?

I have also started to keep my own teabags at work as well (in my case PG Tips) as I prefer it over whatever teabags are already there.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Love them all.

I've never been a big fan of green tea. I find it much too anaemic for my taste.

Perhaps the answer lies in using two tea bags to make it a bit stronger, which is how I think you take it, @barryt007?
    That's the strategy. I do the same.