Die Another Day vs Spectre.

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Jesus, as if it couldn't get any worse.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Austin Powers eat your heart out! :))
  • barryt007barryt007 Getting counselling by Sir Roger over how to kill Kara Milovy
    edited April 2018 Posts: 18,566
    At least the bleak picture tone in DAD PTS was removed once the film started,and was applicable for that scene,in SP that ochre colour lasts the whole way through,even in London !!

And I agree with @TheWizardOfIce that I love the North Korean flag waving as the camera zooms in,a great piece of film,with the oriental musical notes.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Don't like either but I wont fall asleep watching DAD
    w2bond wrote: »

I do!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Back on Earth
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I do!

Isn t it more like fainting, as the cringe drains all blood from your brain?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Hamburg, near the Atlantic Hotel
    I won't be falling asleep during DAD, but probably because I try to avoid that movie in the first place. SP hasn't reached that status yet, although I've only seen it twice so far, which is a bad sign in itself.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 8,970
    SP may be a weaker Bond film, but DAD is still much worse to me. DAD is just so... ugh. It’s the film that caused a reboot - like Batman & Robin did for Batman. Of course, reboots for long-running series are inevitable either way, but these films probably made the reboots happen faster than expected.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    SP may be a weaker Bond film, but DAD is still much worse to me. DAD is just so... ugh. It’s the film that caused a reboot - like Batman & Robin did for Batman.

Or World War 2 for Europe.

I do!

No that happened to me when I heard Brossa was taking over the role !

I do!

No that happened to me when I heard Brossa was taking over the role !

You as well? I fainted a second time, from relief, when he was sacked.
    DAD > SP.

Any day of the week.
  • 00Agent00Agent "There Is No Point In Dying If You Don't Have The Time."
    DAD > SP.

Any day of the week.

+1
    It gets better every time i watch it.
    Its the opposite with SP.
    00Agent wrote: »
    DAD > SP.

Any day of the week.
    +1
    It gets better every time i watch it.
    Its the opposite with SP.
    Same here.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing South Florida
    Give me Spectre over that Iceberg surfing robotrash any day of the week and twice on Friday
    My personal jury is still out on the long-terms effects regarding SP. Be it sufficient to say I downgraded it to 7/10 in the meantime. And there are several movies I've grown to like more over the years(MR!!!, QOS - if only because you see new things every time which you missed the last time due to the messy editing -, even AVTAK to a limited extent).

But both TWINE and DAD have grown less bearable and less enjoyable for me whenever I gave them a new try.

For me, every Bond film has potential to be better or worse than expected on any given watch pretty much. It really goes up and down with all of them, and my ranking always seems to change in a few places.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DAD, most definitely. SP may be the "better" made film, but it absolutely bores me to tears, sans a few moments, for its entire bloated runtime. DAD is ridiculously goofy and shouldn't remotely be taken seriously, but I have a blast anytime I watch it.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    For me, every Bond film has potential to be better or worse than expected on any given watch pretty much. It really goes up and down with all of them, and my ranking always seems to change in a few places.

OHMSS could be SLIGHTLY better and DAD could be SLIGHTLY worse, but not by much. Not as Bond fims the way we know them , that is.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    DAD, most definitely. SP may be the "better" made film, but it absolutely bores me to tears, sans a few moments, for its entire bloated runtime. DAD is ridiculously goofy and shouldn't remotely be taken seriously, but I have a blast anytime I watch it.

This is the argument I usually hear made for DAD, and I just can’t agree sadly. DAD is more boring than SP to me - just in different ways. It may have lots of crazy and weird stuff going on, but after a while it gets stale. I would argue both films though are two of the least intriguing Bond movies. They’re both among the weakest for sure. Just differently weak...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I feel like I'm so familiar with the films now that it'd feel wrong to retroactively change them. That slide whistle accompanying the corkscrew jump in TMWTGG? That stunt would be infinitely better with it removed, but it'd feel so wrong to see the movie and not hear that damn thing go off.
    Sorry, but with all criticism of SP (including my own), I haven't thought of it being "boring". Ultimately, I find none of the 24 (plus NSNA) "boring" so far...the closest to exuding an air of tediousness for me being the much-beloved (not for me) THUNDERBALL with its endless underwater scenes. Which is why I even find NSNA at least more entertaining than the original. But for the purpose of this thread, I probably digress.
    I wouldn’t say any Bond film is outright boring - just that certain moments or aspects of some of the films can be on the duller side. With the exception of TB, IMO, the fourth Bond films from the actors have never been particularly great (MR simply a bit too much/silly, DAD too cringey and silly, and SP too non-standalone and unoriginal). I do love me some TB though. Hoping Craig’s fifth is as good as YOLT or FYEO. The fourth numbered entries though I would say are the weakest collectively.
    Ranking the fourth entries is easy

SP
    TB
    DAD
    TB

SP
    MR

DAD
    How could I forget MR? Still easy.

SP
    TB
    MR
    DAD
    How could I forget MR? Still easy.

SP
    TB
    MR
    DAD
    Based on my personal ratings so far, I'd share that view. However, looking at which movies I'd like to watch again every now and then, the order has sort of grown to

MR
    SP
    TB
    |
    |
    |
    DAD.

Or sort of. And I plead the claim to mercy for being a former MR hater.
    The main thing that separates them is the directing. Spectre is an entertaining film to watch if you can turn your brain off, but DAD was executed terribly.

DAD had some really good ideas for gadgets, locales, set pieces but the execution matters just as much.
    jobo wrote: »
    I am curious to know where the "entertainment" is in DAD.

The comedy is great. Bond spending a year in a North Korean gulag and coming out 15 pounds fatter than he was during the last film was hilarious.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
    4th Entires:

1. TB
    2. DAD
    3. MR
    4. SP