Die Another Day vs Spectre.

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    w2bond wrote: »
    Don't like either but I wont fall asleep watching DAD

I do!

Isn t it more like fainting, as the cringe drains all blood from your brain?

No that happened to me when I heard Brossa was taking over the role !

You as well? I fainted a second time, from relief, when he was sacked.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    DAD > SP.

Any day of the week.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    DAD > SP.

Any day of the week.

+1
    It gets better every time i watch it.
    Its the opposite with SP.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    00Agent wrote: »
    DAD > SP.

Any day of the week.
    +1
    It gets better every time i watch it.
    Its the opposite with SP.
    Same here.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Give me Spectre over that Iceberg surfing robotrash any day of the week and twice on Friday
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    My personal jury is still out on the long-terms effects regarding SP. Be it sufficient to say I downgraded it to 7/10 in the meantime. And there are several movies I've grown to like more over the years(MR!!!, QOS - if only because you see new things every time which you missed the last time due to the messy editing -, even AVTAK to a limited extent).

But both TWINE and DAD have grown less bearable and less enjoyable for me whenever I gave them a new try.

For me, every Bond film has potential to be better or worse than expected on any given watch pretty much. It really goes up and down with all of them, and my ranking always seems to change in a few places.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DAD, most definitely. SP may be the "better" made film, but it absolutely bores me to tears, sans a few moments, for its entire bloated runtime. DAD is ridiculously goofy and shouldn't remotely be taken seriously, but I have a blast anytime I watch it.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    For me, every Bond film has potential to be better or worse than expected on any given watch pretty much. It really goes up and down with all of them, and my ranking always seems to change in a few places.

OHMSS could be SLIGHTLY better and DAD could be SLIGHTLY worse, but not by much. Not as Bond fims the way we know them , that is.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    DAD, most definitely. SP may be the "better" made film, but it absolutely bores me to tears, sans a few moments, for its entire bloated runtime. DAD is ridiculously goofy and shouldn't remotely be taken seriously, but I have a blast anytime I watch it.

This is the argument I usually hear made for DAD, and I just can’t agree sadly. DAD is more boring than SP to me - just in different ways. It may have lots of crazy and weird stuff going on, but after a while it gets stale. I would argue both films though are two of the least intriguing Bond movies. They’re both among the weakest for sure. Just differently weak...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I feel like I'm so familiar with the films now that it'd feel wrong to retroactively change them. That slide whistle accompanying the corkscrew jump in TMWTGG? That stunt would be infinitely better with it removed, but it'd feel so wrong to see the movie and not hear that damn thing go off.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Sorry, but with all criticism of SP (including my own), I haven't thought of it being "boring". Ultimately, I find none of the 24 (plus NSNA) "boring" so far...the closest to exuding an air of tediousness for me being the much-beloved (not for me) THUNDERBALL with its endless underwater scenes. Which is why I even find NSNA at least more entertaining than the original. But for the purpose of this thread, I probably digress.
    I wouldn’t say any Bond film is outright boring - just that certain moments or aspects of some of the films can be on the duller side. With the exception of TB, IMO, the fourth Bond films from the actors have never been particularly great (MR simply a bit too much/silly, DAD too cringey and silly, and SP too non-standalone and unoriginal). I do love me some TB though. Hoping Craig’s fifth is as good as YOLT or FYEO. The fourth numbered entries though I would say are the weakest collectively.
    Ranking the fourth entries is easy

SP
    TB
    DAD
    TB

SP
    MR

DAD
    How could I forget MR? Still easy.

SP
    TB
    MR
    DAD
    How could I forget MR? Still easy.

SP
    TB
    MR
    DAD
    Based on my personal ratings so far, I'd share that view. However, looking at which movies I'd like to watch again every now and then, the order has sort of grown to

MR
    SP
    TB
    |
    |
    |
    DAD.

Or sort of. And I plead the claim to mercy for being a former MR hater.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    The main thing that separates them is the directing. Spectre is an entertaining film to watch if you can turn your brain off, but DAD was executed terribly.

DAD had some really good ideas for gadgets, locales, set pieces but the execution matters just as much.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    jobo wrote: »
    I am curious to know where the "entertainment" is in DAD.

The comedy is great. Bond spending a year in a North Korean gulag and coming out 15 pounds fatter than he was during the last film was hilarious.
    DAD is,to me,Brosnan's MR...

EDIT: I made a thread about this ,just remembered,i will see if i can find it !!
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I think a "vs the field: is in order:

PTS: DAD. Great action. Good but not particularly memorable soundtrack
    Title Track: DAD. Neither are anywhere near good.
    Title Credits: DAD. Creative and does something different
    Main Villain: SP. I think Waltz does a better performance, but he isn't given much to work with
    Main Bond Girl: SP
    Henchman: SP. For the train fight
    Overall Plot: DAD.
    Dialogue: SP
    Score: DAD
    Settings: DAD
    Action: DAD. Hovercraft, car chase. SP only really has the fight with Hinx
    Humor: SP
    Cinematography: SP
    Benign Bizarre: SP
    Suspense: Neither really. But SP.
    Minor Characters: Neither. I like Vlad. No one sticks out in SP
    Glamour: SP
    BOND PERFORMANCE: DAD. I really like Brosnan in DAD, despite the rest of the film falling to pieces around him.

DAD: 8
    SP: 9
    Tie 1

Close one. The thing with Spectre is generally the individual elements are executed well but it fails as a package. DAD is just, DAD
    M16_Cart wrote: »

The comedy is great. Bond spending a year in a North Korean gulag and coming out 15 pounds fatter than he was during the last film was hilarious.

Good point. Madonnas acting is also a highlight. Yo mama... Robocop.... Maybe there is more to it than I have yet to realize?
    M16_Cart wrote: »

Good point. Madonnas acting is also a highlight. Yo mama... Robocop.... Maybe there is more to it than I have yet to realize?

Obviously!
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 2,107
    Die Another Day is worse for me. Worst of Brosnan's tenure. I was put off by Bond for quite a time after it, only to rediscover my love for the series when CR saved the character.

Not so with Spectre. Everyone and their grandma see Spectre as one of the worst. For me, it's my second favorite of the Craig era.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Die Another Day is worse for me. Worst of Brosnan's tenure. I was put off by Bond for quite a time after it, only to rediscover my love for the series when CR saved the character.

Not so with Spectre. Everyone and their grandma see Spectre as one of the worst. For me, it's my second favorite of the Craig era.

Which is why Bond is so universally loved....

I can tolerate Brother-In-Lawgate much better than the embarrassing dialogue and craptastic CGI. SP is no masterpiece, but DAD is the only film in the series that I have no interest in watching at all.
    STLCards3 wrote: »
    I can tolerate Brother-In-Lawgate much better than the embarrassing dialogue and craptastic CGI. SP is no masterpiece, but DAD is the only film in the series that I have no interest in watching at all.

+1
  • peterpeter Toronto
    +2
    DAD is at least fun and thoroughly entertaining,i like it.

SP thinks it is a masterpiece,is complacent,presumptuous and arrogant,from the score to the script.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    One of the best vs. one of the worst.