Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

191011121315»

Comments

Okay, this is going to be long, so fasten your seatbelt. This sunday, I'm going to Cardiff to see Katherine Jenkins in concert, and visit what I didn't the first time I was there (in 2015). So I thought that it would be a simple affair : take the bus to the sation in Saint Quentin en Yvelines, take the train to the Gare Montparnasse in Paris, take the subway, line 4, to Gare du Nord, and then pass the customs and wait for my train to London. Really simple, right ?

Well, no. This morning, while checking my travel route, I discovered that there would be no service on the line 4 this sunday morning. So I had to change my plans. Problem, it's the choice between one route which takes me to the Gare du Nord a bit too close for comfort (arrival there at 9.11 for an Eurostar that leaves at 10.06), or another which I have to take at 7.29. Trouble is, with this last route, I'll have first to take a bus that leaves my town at 6.34. Which means I'll have to wake up at 5.00 am. But I suppose that's what I'll have to do in order to see the Welsh Nightingale. The things we do for Katherine (and Wales).
    Gerard wrote: »
    Okay, this is going to be long, so fasten your seatbelt. This sunday, I'm going to Cardiff to see Katherine Jenkins in concert, and visit what I didn't the first time I was there (in 2015). So I thought that it would be a simple affair : take the bus to the sation in Saint Quentin en Yvelines, take the train to the Gare Montparnasse in Paris, take the subway, line 4, to Gare du Nord, and then pass the customs and wait for my train to London. Really simple, right ?

Well, no. This morning, while checking my travel route, I discovered that there would be no service on the line 4 this sunday morning. So I had to change my plans. Problem, it's the choice between one route which takes me to the Gare du Nord a bit too close for comfort (arrival there at 9.11 for an Eurostar that leaves at 10.06), or another which I have to take at 7.29. Trouble is, with this last route, I'll have first to take a bus that leaves my town at 6.34. Which means I'll have to wake up at 5.00 am. But I suppose that's what I'll have to do in order to see the Welsh Nightingale. The things we do for Katherine (and Wales).

Travel arrangements can be a nightmare. Sometimes as much of a nightmare that it affects the enjoyment of the trip. I hope the concert will be worth all the trouble! :-)
    It was. And everything went on without a hitch. Well, hardly a hitch : I made the portal ring on the trip back home. Probably my belt.

Now, guess what : someone tried to blackmail me yesterday, asking me to send him some 500 BitCoins or he would send incriminating pictures of me to everyone I know. Apparently, he had hacked into my webcam. Except that... I have no webcam, which a real hacker would have found out. How stupid can he be, right ? Apparently, it's the latest craze in mail scamming nowadays. Frankly, I didn't fall for the Nigerian Prince, I won't fall for that one.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Hamburg, near the Atlantic Hotel
    edited May 13 Posts: 3,950
    Now, guess what : someone tried to blackmail me yesterday, asking me to send him some 500 BitCoins or he would send incriminating pictures of me to everyone I know. Apparently, he had hacked into my webcam. Except that... I have no webcam, which a real hacker would have found out. How stupid can he be, right ? Apparently, it's the latest craze in mail scamming nowadays. Frankly, I didn't fall for the Nigerian Prince, I won't fall for that one.

Both my wife and I as well as one of my colleagues received several of those during the last six months or so. It's a case of shift + delete. But the one that my wife received (which was the first ever) had an extra twist: it mentioned a password for some account that she actually once used to add credibility. The "hacker" must have bought it along with those millions of pilfered username/password combinations of the known security breaches. Unfortunately for him, even I knew right away that it was a password that my wife hadn't used for about 12 years, and she does change them regularly anyway.

Don't wait for it to stop. The "Nigeria Connection" has been with us for over thirty years, before most people ever used a PC.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Planet of Death
    It was. And everything went on without a hitch. Well, hardly a hitch : I made the portal ring on the trip back home. Probably my belt.

Same here, and I don t have a web cam, either. A colleague got the same threat on his workphone e-mail.
  • edited May 13 Posts: 9,917

Good that the trip went well in the end! Not so good about the blackmail email. Many people get these kind of emails apparently.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

What on earth do you mean? The Prince and I have a very good working relationship. At least, I think the money will come soon. I've transferred al lthe grease necessary....
    I was once called by someone with an Indian accent telling me my computer was hit with a virus, and that the only way I could save it was to obviously restart my computer and do "exactly what he told me to do". It is unbelievable how stupid they think we are! (:|

I suspect some few people might fall for it though...
    You can't cheat an honest man, but never give a sucker an even break.