Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

1121314151618»

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    My neighbours have a dog. A small dog. That little thing is all right, except at night. Like, right now, for example. Its owners have a habit of spending the better part of the night at the local pub. When loneliness kicks in, the bloody mutt starts crying without interruption. I can't sleep, and if I have to switch on my television to produce the kind of loudness that overrules the dog's I, in turn, will be keeping my other neighbours from their sleep. I could call the owners of the dog, but they'll just stupidly point out that they've never known the dog to cry like this (like they already have). Well, of course not. Pooch isn't going to cry when they're home, only when they're not.

I'm usually not a big fan of dogs, to put it mildly. But I'm usually even less a fan of dog owners. Well, most of them are fine, it's just that some can't seem to understand that some folks, like myself, would really appreciate it if they'd keep their beasts on a leash in public, and also: if you want to keep a dog, that comes with a certain responsibility. For example, don't leave the animal home alone, all night long!

Now, I'm not the police calling type. Don't want to create any tension between my neighbours and myself, but to be frank, I've considered getting the cops involved. Look, I need to get up early, every morning. Two hours of sleep per night aren't going to work for me. After three days, you can come look for me in a hospital bed. Earplugs? I've got them. They don't work in this case. Headphones? Try sleeping with those! No, my neighbours have to show some effort, not I. I'm not the one bringing a useless little furball in the house and keeping my neighbours awake by not taking good care of it.

If anyone has some extra advice for me, please feel free to share it.

You could record the Dog's crying somehow and play it back to your neighbours. But they don't seem to be very considerate people as is the case these days, so i don't suppose you'll get much joy even if they heard it for themselves.

Our Dog used to howl when we went out and i was horrified but thankful when a neighbour brought it to my attention so i could do something about it. But then i'm considerate when it comes to other people.

I don't know why these idiots have dogs in the first place.
    A case for a police dog.
    192069634410146849133816.jpg

Looking at that illustration I can't help but wonder who made it. Al Taliaferro? Carl Barks? Vicar?

Barks never did Chief O Hara. He is a Floyd Gottfredson character, but this looks like a later version.

Forgot about Floyd Gottfredson! But you're right, it looks like a later version.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Overt here
    A case for a police dog.

Looking at that illustration I can't help but wonder who made it. Al Taliaferro? Carl Barks? Vicar?

Barks never did Chief O Hara. He is a Floyd Gottfredson character, but this looks like a later version.

Forgot about Floyd Gottfredson! But you're right, it looks like a later version.

Gottfredson was a genius artist and terrific storyteller. One of the greatest.
    A case for a police dog.

Gottfredson was a genius artist and terrific storyteller. One of the greatest.

He certainly was. Haven't read much by Gottfredson in recent years though, but I should probably get back to doing so. Same with Barks.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    My neighbours have a dog. A small dog. That little thing is all right, except at night. Like, right now, for example. Its owners have a habit of spending the better part of the night at the local pub. When loneliness kicks in, the bloody mutt starts crying without interruption. I can't sleep, and if I have to switch on my television to produce the kind of loudness that overrules the dog's I, in turn, will be keeping my other neighbours from their sleep. I could call the owners of the dog, but they'll just stupidly point out that they've never known the dog to cry like this (like they already have). Well, of course not. Pooch isn't going to cry when they're home, only when they're not.

I'm usually not a big fan of dogs, to put it mildly. But I'm usually even less a fan of dog owners. Well, most of them are fine, it's just that some can't seem to understand that some folks, like myself, would really appreciate it if they'd keep their beasts on a leash in public, and also: if you want to keep a dog, that comes with a certain responsibility. For example, don't leave the animal home alone, all night long!

Now, I'm not the police calling type. Don't want to create any tension between my neighbours and myself, but to be frank, I've considered getting the cops involved. Look, I need to get up early, every morning. Two hours of sleep per night aren't going to work for me. After three days, you can come look for me in a hospital bed. Earplugs? I've got them. They don't work in this case. Headphones? Try sleeping with those! No, my neighbours have to show some effort, not I. I'm not the one bringing a useless little furball in the house and keeping my neighbours awake by not taking good care of it.

You could record the Dog's crying somehow and play it back to your neighbours. But they don't seem to be very considerate people as is the case these days, so i don't suppose you'll get much joy even if they heard it for themselves.

Our Dog used to howl when we went out and i was horrified but thankful when a neighbour brought it to my attention so i could do something about it. But then i'm considerate when it comes to other people.

@LeonardPine
    Thank you for your supportive post. I wish more dog owners were like you: considerate.
    There's a rumour that my neighbours are moving out! That's a new development for sure. Who knows, they, and pooch, might be gone soon.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

@LeonardPine
    Thank you for your supportive post. I wish more dog owners were like you: considerate.
    There's a rumour that my neighbours are moving out! That's a new development for sure. Who knows, they, and pooch, might be gone soon.

Hopefully the rumour is true and you can finally get some sound sleep!
    Tonight, at 15 to midnight, my phone rang. That's a new low, even for telemarketers. Don't they realize that some of us need our sleep because they have to wake up early to go to work ? (4.15 am, in my case).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Overt here
    Gerard wrote: »
    Tonight, at 15 to midnight, my phone rang. That's a new low, even for telemarketers. Don't they realize that some of us need our sleep because they have to wake up early to go to work ? (4.15 am, in my case).

How can that even be legal? It s harassment. I never answer the phone after 9pm. If people call after 8, it had better be important.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Hamburg, near the Atlantic Hotel
    I don't pick up the phone if a number looks unknown and/or suspicious to me. Such callers never leave a message, and when they don't the number will immediately end up in my call-barring list (same when we're not home during the day and find some unknown number has called). All our friends and acquaintances know that we're normally not there and wouldn't try to reach us on that line unless they intend to leave a message.

A couple of times someone claiming to be from Microsoft Windows managed to get through. Relinquishing my remaining politeness, I like to use this opportunity to finally insult someone with four-letter words that would get me barred on this board. And then of course hang up and bar that number as well. It is strangely satisfying to deal with that scum that way.

Fortunately, I haven't had such problems with my mobile.
  • edited January 13 Posts: 12,251
    Gerard wrote: »

I've experienced the same thing; they call at any point of the evening these days.
  • edited January 13 Posts: 10,396
    None of my family have my phone number that's how strict I am with my mobile, people usually email me as they know I rarely use my phone :)) (I always have my phone on silent)