Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Haha, I'm glad my "rant" is getting some approval. :) Thank you, @JamesStock, @Walecs and @Univex. Even the rant itself can be dangerous nowadays.

A student of mine is responsible for it. Last week, we had a classroom discussion about obesity, diabetes, the overconsumption of sugar and not enough physical excercise. It was simple biochemistry, really, and absolutely no "insensitive" jokes or subjective comments about overweight people were made. In fact, I stressed that a zero-carb diet may not be the smartest thing for people who aren't even 20 yet. This one student, herself rather "big", at one point just went berserk. She went on and on about fat-shaming, about my T-shirt (showing characters from a popular anime series called Attack On Titan) not being "inclusive", about how typical it is for "entitled white males" to look down upon women, and so on.

I just stood there with a "huh, what?" face, completely confouded, as were other students. I even apologized in case I had unwillingly offended anyone, which only made matters worse. "OMG, now you want ME to forgive YOU??" or something like that. Which made no sense to me. Not that anything leading up to this had. Then she stormed out of the classroom. Others told me that she's very active in tons of SJW groups and like jihadis, her views are getting more extreme every day.

Look, the girl isn't exactly a size 2, and her make-up, colourful hair, strange ornaments and extravagent clothes draw a lot of attention to her. But I never target students--or anyone else for that matter--during my lessons. That would be a whole bag of "wrong" for a teacher. I wasn't even trying to make a point beyond the confirmed scientific facts concerning sugar-related health issues. So this really came out of nowhere.

But it also reminded me of a film I had recently seen, and it got me angry. Hence my post here. Anyway, she'll (probably) be in my class again tomorrow. Can't say I'm really looking forward to that, but hey, I'm a professional and I'm willing to let it pass. Initially I figured I had done something wrong; hence the apologies. But the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that I haven't. Technically, she owes me and the other students an apology for her sudden outburst of anger and false accusations. But I'm fine with letting the incident pass. She's only 17 after all. Still, it's not okay that young minds can be corrupted this way via social media.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Dear Social Justice Warrior,

We know you hate the world. That's okay; the world hates you too.

We know you're not entirely useless--in fact, your talents are renowned. They include
    • pulling words out of context like a boss;
    • getting triggered into a temper tantrum by the silliest things;
    • misconstruing criticism as "shaming";
    • advocating the blunting of our freedom of speech without realising the consequences.

We know that you're not exactly popular amongst your peers and that you are trying to compensate for that by "making the world a better place" i.e. imposing on others' joy and happiness in a big bad way.

We know that everything we say, write, do and look at will be monitored carefully because you naturally assume everyone but yourself to be pure evil. Obviously, our every word is an aggressive attempt at causing harm to minorities, and we look at women only through the objectifying, sex-obsessed male gaze. A polite "hello" is cruel intimidation waiting to happen, but not looking at you is a form of "fat-shaming".

We know that you live and breathe only to score SJW street cred and so reaching your weakly quota of bad-people-unmaskings is essential to you. You will therefore dig deep and deeper still until you have found the flimsiest reason to vilify someone. Your vile techniques include
    • creative interpretation of what someone said;
    • even more creative interpretation of what someone didn't say;
    • demanding apologies...;
    • ... only to then dismissing said apologies as making matters even worse for reasons no one understands including yourself.

We know that you don't like your body, the lack of interest you're getting from others, your emotional instability and hormonal unbalances. We know that you're envious of everyone else and therefore hate everyone else. Your attempts at being alternative didn't really work out for you, and so being the "voice of reason" became an obsession since you were in your teenage years, a stage from which you are unlikely to ever mature.

We know that you are feeling safe behind your keyboard, protesting pretty much everything. A good day is when normal people have lost yet another one of their basic freedoms, all in the name of equality and social justice.

Point is, dear Social Justice Warrior, that I don't like you either, and with good cause.

Great Post.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 7,500
    Haha, I'm glad my "rant" is getting some approval. :) Thank you, @JamesStock, @Walecs and @Univex. Even the rant itself can be dangerous nowadays.

A student of mine is responsible for it. Last week, we had a classroom discussion about obesity, diabetes, the overconsumption of sugar and not enough physical excercise. It was simple biochemistry, really, and absolutely no "insensitive" jokes or subjective comments about overweight people were made. In fact, I stressed that a zero-carb diet may not be the smartest thing for people who aren't even 20 yet. This one student, herself rather "big", at one point just went berserk. She went on and on about fat-shaming, about my T-shirt (showing characters from a popular anime series called Attack On Titan) not being "inclusive", about how typical it is for "entitled white males" to look down upon women, and so on.

I just stood there with a "huh, what?" face, completely confouded, as were other students. I even apologized in case I had unwillingly offended anyone, which only made matters worse. "OMG, now you want ME to forgive YOU??" or something like that. Which made no sense to me. Not that anything leading up to this had. Then she stormed out of the classroom. Others told me that she's very active in tons of SJW groups and like jihadis, her views are getting more extreme every day.

Look, the girl isn't exactly a size 2, and her make-up, colourful hair, strange ornaments and extravagent clothes draw a lot of attention to her. But I never target students--or anyone else for that matter--during my lessons. That would be a whole bag of "wrong" for a teacher. I wasn't even trying to make a point beyond the confirmed scientific facts concerning sugar-related health issues. So this really came out of nowhere.

But it also reminded me of a film I had recently seen, and it got me angry. Hence my post here. Anyway, she'll (probably) be in my class again tomorrow. Can't say I'm really looking forward to that, but hey, I'm a professional and I'm willing to let it pass. Initially I figured I had done something wrong; hence the apologies. But the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that I haven't. Technically, she owes me and the other students an apology for her sudden outburst of anger and false accusations. But I'm fine with letting the incident pass. She's only 17 after all. Still, it's not okay that young minds can be corrupted this way via social media.

Sounds to me like it has less to do with SJW and more to do with an insecure, emotional teenager who is conscious of her appearance.
    jobo wrote: »

Sounds to me like it has less to do with SJW and more to do with an insecure, emotional teenager who is conscious of her appearance.

Indeed. Most verve that's put or transferred into social objects comes from crimped relationships and dynamics with the parental and original structure, and with one's view of him/herself, which also derives from these precocious dynamics, and can also be skewed. The moxie and clenching of the proverbial teeth, comes from not confronting the original objects, which are held more dear, or are taken as fragile, probably because of their poor quality in the first place, and having new objects to use unconditionally. Moreover, the unconditionality that should've been part of the original relationship is often tested violently in the new relationship. And so we are mostly objects of transference, projective vessels for angsts and we end up with weltschmerz, a deep sadness about the inadequacy or imperfection of the world. That ends up being transversal to both agent and object. Suffice to say, it all involves a lot of suffering and not enough sublimation.

A teacher is in a prominent position for this to happen, as he is wrongly taken as a substitute for the authority/caring figure. A bloody analyst, such as myself, has to serve as this sort of object, but at least he's aware of it and uses it in the dynamic in order to open the agent's eyes and lead him or her in their therapeutic path. But for a teacher, with his or hers hands tied by government ill conjured pedagogical ruling, it's often hell.

I'm with you on this, @DarthDimi. You're handling it like the pro you are. Well done, my friend.
    I even apologized in case I had unwillingly offended anyone, which only made matters worse. "OMG, now you want ME to forgive YOU??" or something like that. Which made no sense to me.
    That seems particularly frustrating: to try to apologize --even if unaware of what transgression, if any, was committed, but at least as a means of showing empathy and defusing tension-- only to find not even an apology is welcome.

I don't doubt that that certainly factors in, @jobo.
    Univex wrote: »
    A teacher is in a prominent position for this to happen, as he is wrongly taken as a substitute for the authority/caring figure. A bloody analyst, such as myself, has to serve as this sort of object, but at least he's aware of it and uses it in the dynamic in order to open the agent's eyes and lead him or her in their therapeutic path. But for a teacher, with his or hers hands tied by government ill conjured pedagogical ruling, it's often hell.

I'm with you on this, @DarthDimi. You're handling it like the pro you are. Well done, my friend.

You have explained it way better than I ever could, @Univex. Thank you.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I even apologized in case I had unwillingly offended anyone, which only made matters worse. "OMG, now you want ME to forgive YOU??" or something like that. Which made no sense to me.
    That seems particularly frustrating: to try to apologize --even if unaware of what transgression, if any, was committed, but at least as a means of showing empathy and defusing tension-- only to find not even an apology is welcome.

That was, indeed, rather baffling an experience, @mattjoes. I stood perplexed. Defusing tension, de-escalating the conflict, not engaging in the argument, ... are all essential parts of maintaining classroom peace. It's difficult sometimes, I can tell you. But if you don't, the rest of the class will just turn against you even if they initially agree with you. We're essentially robots. ;-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2020 Posts: 13,866
    Dimi standing there thinking “And i’ll see you, in your dream tonight”, as he dusts off his Fedora. ;)
    Dimi standing there thinking “And i’ll see you, in your dream tonight”, as he dusts off his Fedora. ;)

ahah, those were the times.

tenor.gif?itemid=3531442

The perks of being a teacher... ;)

Both are not mutually exclusive. I hope you'll tell us how tomorrow's day went @DarthDimi.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Both are not mutually exclusive. I hope you'll tell us how tomorrow's day went @DarthDimi.

I will. I have officially reported the incident via the student's digital file and checked with the people at the 'reception' to make sure she didn't just leave the school (which she normally can't do anyway, but I still wanted to make sure.) Other than that, however, I have no intention to sit down with a student counselor or an angry parent since those conversations usually boyle down to the teacher taking the blame for pretty much everything and humbly apologizing once again just to keep the "customers" happy. Not my style... Not anymore, that is. In my more naive days, I might have, but I've experienced first-hand that 'diplomacy' basically means intellectually whoring myself out--if you'll pardon my language. Schools are so bloody afraid of bad press, they'll kiss the feet of parents and students sometimes, against better judgement, and it's just an unfortunate part of the teaching job to carry that burden. Now, a robot could do that, perhaps, but not a human being. I still have my pride. I was following the curriculum and some kid threw a temper tantrum; I'm not going to sit there apologizing a second time. So my plan right now is to start again with a clean slate, continue with the curriculum and see what happens. I would invite the student for a private chat after class, but in this day and age, I'd rather not, unless there's a bunch of witnesses present. We'll see. I normally wouldn't be too worried, except that this girl is, apparently, a fierce participant on some SJW boards, so... I'll keep you guys posted.
    Dogs sexually abused in Norway - sick people > : (
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

I will. I have officially reported the incident via the student's digital file and checked with the people at the 'reception' to make sure she didn't just leave the school (which she normally can't do anyway, but I still wanted to make sure.) Other than that, however, I have no intention to sit down with a student counselor or an angry parent since those conversations usually boyle down to the teacher taking the blame for pretty much everything and humbly apologizing once again just to keep the "customers" happy. Not my style... Not anymore, that is. In my more naive days, I might have, but I've experienced first-hand that 'diplomacy' basically means intellectually whoring myself out--if you'll pardon my language. Schools are so bloody afraid of bad press, they'll kiss the feet of parents and students sometimes, against better judgement, and it's just an unfortunate part of the teaching job to carry that burden. Now, a robot could do that, perhaps, but not a human being. I still have my pride. I was following the curriculum and some kid threw a temper tantrum; I'm not going to sit there apologizing a second time. So my plan right now is to start again with a clean slate, continue with the curriculum and see what happens. I would invite the student for a private chat after class, but in this day and age, I'd rather not, unless there's a bunch of witnesses present. We'll see. I normally wouldn't be too worried, except that this girl is, apparently, a fierce participant on some SJW boards, so... I'll keep you guys posted.

First off, @Dimi, hands off to you for the way you handled yourself. Recently I've had the pleasure of talking to a (former) teacher (he now only teaches adults) on what you can and cannot do, and all I can say is: hats off to you, for I'd have landend in jail within months of becoming a teacher. You of a special breed indeed.
    I remenber from my student days the ferocious dogmatic reasoning of SJW's, and I take it it hasn't become less since then. It probably won't help pointing out that in declaring you a 'white man' she is in fact discriminating you-> coupling your points of view to sex and skincolour.
    In fact I'm so fed up with this sort of nonsense that, whilst doing my MA (still not finished) I did file a discriminatory complaint with the faculty when they invited a 'professor' from california who stated in her introduction that the current practices of archiving were based 'on the views of white males' which, she stated, was 'obvious' allthough never said out loud. And that was her scientific proof as well.
  • Bueno1694Bueno1694 My James Bond Games' Playthroughs: linktr.ee/Xtreemo
    My reaction to today's breaking news about NTTD.

EjWaUQbXYAIzvLh?format=jpg&name=small
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited October 2020 Posts: 533
    The first article I saw announcing the news said 'delayed until 2021 - an entire year'. Somebody needs to tell the twelve-year old who wrote the article that five months is not an entire year.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

I feel for you. My wife is a teacher. The crap she has to deal with is insane...

Students these days seem to be empowered by lack of discipline. When they're home, they are not taught self-responsibility and teacher's hands are tied (ie. My wife couldn't even fail a student, even though he didn't do any homework and didn't participate in instruction). The social justice movement only gasoline to the fire.
    The first article I saw announcing the news said 'delayed until 2021 - an entire year'. Somebody needs to tell the twelve-year old who wrote the article that five months is not an entire year.

Well, it was supposed to show in april 2020. So, technically, it's a year.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Gerard wrote: »

That's true, but I thought it was quite a misleading headline. Made me jump out of my skin when I saw it.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 1,637
    I thought it was forbidden to use the f word here ;)
    On norwegian TV you can say the f word or curse , they dont censor you.......
    Speaking of teachers , remember Doug on King of Queens as substitute teacher - that didnt end well , lmao
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Save clogging up the production thread
    I'm so disheartened by the delay, I mean we as a fanbase have been so patient and the majority of us understanding about these delays but man it feels like it's a waste of time trying to get excited about this film

I think I'm frustrated with this one, like everyone else has said, but why did they press ahead with the promotion if they knew a delay was likely and more importantly who's to say this virus will be under control by April? What do we do if it isn't? Delay till November again. At what point do people lose all interest and give up on NTTD?

If they're continuing with these delays in the hope of getting a billion dollar box office, I think they're misguided because I doubt anybody will be making that kind of money in these current times

Okay, the sessions since have gone by pretty uneventfully. Nothing more was said, as I had expected and hoped, so my fears were laid to rest. Since then, however, other students have exchanged a few words with me about it, in full support of me, by the way. About how the attacks were utter madness, about how no blame of any kind rested upon my shoulders etc. Feels good to receive that level of support. We'll see how stuff goes from here.
    JamesStock wrote: »

I feel for you. My wife is a teacher. The crap she has to deal with is insane...

Students these days seem to be empowered by lack of discipline. When they're home, they are not taught self-responsibility and teacher's hands are tied (ie. My wife couldn't even fail a student, even though he didn't do any homework and didn't participate in instruction). The social justice movement only gasoline to the fire.

I agree, @JamesStock, we do have to put up with a lot of crap from students and their parents. But you know what, I have learned to let it go, to not let it get to me. It's not easy though, since respect for teachers is sinking lower and lower, it seems. Some folks treat us like overpaid whiners, others like humble waiters who have to say "here you go, sir, can I get you anything else?" to their "customers". I've even got some experience with students who told me that "you are being paid to do so-and-so, so do it!". Obviously, they were told to please leave and never come back. ;)
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Gerard wrote: »

That's true, but I thought it was quite a misleading headline.

Agreed, poor wording on the journalist's part.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 1,637
    "30% less sugar tax on sugarless sodas"
    Why tax it at all when it doesnt even have sugar in it......morons !
    I got woken up very early this week by leaves blowers. Hate these things.
    Tracy wrote: »
    "30% less sugar tax on sugarless sodas"
    Why tax it at all when it doesnt even have sugar in it......morons !

Yeah, wow. What is THAT all about? /:) Typical taxation issue. "Fuel prices go up; you'll all be paying more taxes. Fuel prices go down; taxes stay the same." What??

Uh! Or neighbors mawning their lawn at 6.30 AM.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Me too. Fortunately their use over here (Germany) is only allowed on weekdays, 9 - 13 and 15 - 17 o'clock in residential areas. And only one of our neighbours has one.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Agreed. I often say these are the worst human invention...ever.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I live by the railway station, and for some inexplicable reason they have decided that 11-11.30 pm is the best time to clean that area.
    echo wrote: »

Agreed. I often say these are the worst human invention...ever.

It's really useless : a rake does the same thing in silence and it's not good for the environment to take the leaves away anyway. Maybe it's because autumn is my favourite season but I love dead leaves on the ground.
    I wish I had known this thread before. Since July I have a new job which is pretty good, but before for the last three years I was working for a company I hated, hated, hated and getting the steam off here would have been therapeutic.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 14,786
    My wife just had a big row with an elderly lady neighbour who thinks she's entitled to a specific parking space. She shouted at her in front of my little boy and said my wife was a spoiled brat. Why do we have such crazy old bat as a neighbour?