Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    My neighbours have a dog. A small dog. That little thing is all right, except at night. Like, right now, for example. Its owners have a habit of spending the better part of the night at the local pub. When loneliness kicks in, the bloody mutt starts crying without interruption. I can't sleep, and if I have to switch on my television to produce the kind of loudness that overrules the dog's I, in turn, will be keeping my other neighbours from their sleep. I could call the owners of the dog, but they'll just stupidly point out that they've never known the dog to cry like this (like they already have). Well, of course not. Pooch isn't going to cry when they're home, only when they're not.

I'm usually not a big fan of dogs, to put it mildly. But I'm usually even less a fan of dog owners. Well, most of them are fine, it's just that some can't seem to understand that some folks, like myself, would really appreciate it if they'd keep their beasts on a leash in public, and also: if you want to keep a dog, that comes with a certain responsibility. For example, don't leave the animal home alone, all night long!

Now, I'm not the police calling type. Don't want to create any tension between my neighbours and myself, but to be frank, I've considered getting the cops involved. Look, I need to get up early, every morning. Two hours of sleep per night aren't going to work for me. After three days, you can come look for me in a hospital bed. Earplugs? I've got them. They don't work in this case. Headphones? Try sleeping with those! No, my neighbours have to show some effort, not I. I'm not the one bringing a useless little furball in the house and keeping my neighbours awake by not taking good care of it.

If anyone has some extra advice for me, please feel free to share it.

You could record the Dog's crying somehow and play it back to your neighbours. But they don't seem to be very considerate people as is the case these days, so i don't suppose you'll get much joy even if they heard it for themselves.

Our Dog used to howl when we went out and i was horrified but thankful when a neighbour brought it to my attention so i could do something about it. But then i'm considerate when it comes to other people.

I don't know why these idiots have dogs in the first place.

@LeonardPine
    Thank you for your supportive post. I wish more dog owners were like you: considerate.
    There's a rumour that my neighbours are moving out! That's a new development for sure. Who knows, they, and pooch, might be gone soon.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    My neighbours have a dog. A small dog. That little thing is all right, except at night. Like, right now, for example. Its owners have a habit of spending the better part of the night at the local pub. When loneliness kicks in, the bloody mutt starts crying without interruption. I can't sleep, and if I have to switch on my television to produce the kind of loudness that overrules the dog's I, in turn, will be keeping my other neighbours from their sleep. I could call the owners of the dog, but they'll just stupidly point out that they've never known the dog to cry like this (like they already have). Well, of course not. Pooch isn't going to cry when they're home, only when they're not.

I'm usually not a big fan of dogs, to put it mildly. But I'm usually even less a fan of dog owners. Well, most of them are fine, it's just that some can't seem to understand that some folks, like myself, would really appreciate it if they'd keep their beasts on a leash in public, and also: if you want to keep a dog, that comes with a certain responsibility. For example, don't leave the animal home alone, all night long!

Now, I'm not the police calling type. Don't want to create any tension between my neighbours and myself, but to be frank, I've considered getting the cops involved. Look, I need to get up early, every morning. Two hours of sleep per night aren't going to work for me. After three days, you can come look for me in a hospital bed. Earplugs? I've got them. They don't work in this case. Headphones? Try sleeping with those! No, my neighbours have to show some effort, not I. I'm not the one bringing a useless little furball in the house and keeping my neighbours awake by not taking good care of it.

If anyone has some extra advice for me, please feel free to share it.

You could record the Dog's crying somehow and play it back to your neighbours. But they don't seem to be very considerate people as is the case these days, so i don't suppose you'll get much joy even if they heard it for themselves.

Our Dog used to howl when we went out and i was horrified but thankful when a neighbour brought it to my attention so i could do something about it. But then i'm considerate when it comes to other people.

I don't know why these idiots have dogs in the first place.

@LeonardPine
    Thank you for your supportive post. I wish more dog owners were like you: considerate.
    There's a rumour that my neighbours are moving out! That's a new development for sure. Who knows, they, and pooch, might be gone soon.

Hopefully the rumour is true and you can finally get some sound sleep!
    Tonight, at 15 to midnight, my phone rang. That's a new low, even for telemarketers. Don't they realize that some of us need our sleep because they have to wake up early to go to work ? (4.15 am, in my case).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Gerard wrote: »
    Tonight, at 15 to midnight, my phone rang. That's a new low, even for telemarketers. Don't they realize that some of us need our sleep because they have to wake up early to go to work ? (4.15 am, in my case).

How can that even be legal? It s harassment. I never answer the phone after 9pm. If people call after 8, it had better be important.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I don't pick up the phone if a number looks unknown and/or suspicious to me. Such callers never leave a message, and when they don't the number will immediately end up in my call-barring list (same when we're not home during the day and find some unknown number has called). All our friends and acquaintances know that we're normally not there and wouldn't try to reach us on that line unless they intend to leave a message.

A couple of times someone claiming to be from Microsoft Windows managed to get through. Relinquishing my remaining politeness, I like to use this opportunity to finally insult someone with four-letter words that would get me barred on this board. And then of course hang up and bar that number as well. It is strangely satisfying to deal with that scum that way.

Fortunately, I haven't had such problems with my mobile.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 17,241
    Gerard wrote: »

I've experienced the same thing; they call at any point of the evening these days.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2020 Posts: 23,102
    None of my family have my phone number that's how strict I am with my mobile, people usually email me as they know I rarely use my phone :)) (I always have my phone on silent)
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    People who drive slowly.
    People who walk slowly.
    People who don't indicate.
    People who have no palatial awareness.
    People who are in the equivocally wrong, but refuse to admit it.

You know what, people in general annoy me.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Octopussy wrote: »
    +1
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    People who drive slowly.
    People who walk slowly.

People who drive slowly.
    People who walk slowly.

And people who want to shut others up if they disagree with them. Aren t those very people the ones who should be shut up themselves?
    People who drive slowly.
    People who walk slowly.

People who drive slowly.
    People who walk slowly.

And people who want to shut others up if they disagree with them. Aren t those very people the ones who should be shut up themselves?

02c60c6080ba9af3b985807e399f12ab.gif
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    After a ful day of driving today: Idiots in minivans who seem to be spending more time looking at their phones instead of the road.

People who din't use their mirrors or think that slow traffic always goes first when you're coming at high speed to overtake them. Waiting a few seconds is safer for everyone involved and you didn't bother to take over until I came along anyway!
    Cyclists. Don't get me started. Yes, people on their phone and obviously kill me.
    Cyclists. Don't get me started. Yes, people on their phone and obviously kill me.

Please start. Elaborate what's wrong with cyclists please?
    jobo wrote: »

I am not going to comment on the infrastructure in central London, as that is obviously none of my business. But to on general terms blame cyclists and cycle lanes for traffic congestion in big cities is downright absurd! The congestion is there because too many people drive, plain and simple. Modern demands require us to rethink how we live our lives, and especially how big cities are structured. Most of those who claim they are "completely dependant on driving" are usually lying. They are simply not willing to make any adjustments or sacrifices on the behalf of society as a whole. That´s the underlying issue...
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1,081

I am not going to comment on the infrastructure in central London, as that is obviously none of my business. But to on general terms blame cyclists and cycle lanes for traffic congestion in big cities is downright absurd! The congestion is there because too many people drive, plain and simple. Modern demands require us to rethink how we live our lives, and especially how big cities are structured. Most of those who claim they are "completely dependant on driving" are usually lying. They are simply not willing to make any adjustments or sacrifices on the behalf of society as a whole. That´s the underlying issue...

I don't live in the UK. I live in Australia. The same things apply, though. Cyclists are never in their allocated lane. They don't follow the rules of the road. They go through red lights and on the footpath whenever convenient. If you're going to be allowed on the road, then abide by the rules in which everyone else does.

I don't live in the UK. I live in Australia. The same things apply, though. Cyclists are never in their allocated lane. They don't follow the rules of the road. They go through red lights and on the footpath whenever convenient. If you're going to be allowed on the road, then abide by the rules in which everyone else does.

That is a fair point.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am a cyclist I abide by road rules, where I cycle lanes divert onto paths, though you find pedestrians walking in cycle lanes. You can't generalise and put everyone in the same basket. I have been almost knocked of the road by idiot drivers intentionally, does that mean all drivers are irresponsible... NO
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    OK, here's one for you: all those smart-arsed meme making idioms (you know what I want to say there) who now downplay the new Corona virus because 'the common flu' kills 60 odd thousand a year.
    The common influenza has 2 deaths per 100,000 population. Which means that with 60k deaths 300 million people got ill. Now, the new Corona virus has, up until now, but it's just getting started, 300 deaths on 14.000 illnesses. Imagine what would happen if those 300 million got the new corona virus....
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 15,785
    Weather 19 below really sucks.
    People who persist on using their phone while driving. This is particularly annoying when you miss a light as a result of their incompetence.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,157
    OK, here's one for you: all those smart-arsed meme making idioms (you know what I want to say there) who now downplay the new Corona virus because 'the common flu' kills 60 odd thousand a year.
    The common influenza has 2 deaths per 100,000 population. Which means that with 60k deaths 300 million people got ill. Now, the new Corona virus has, up until now, but it's just getting started, 300 deaths on 14.000 illnesses. Imagine what would happen if those 300 million got the new corona virus....

I think they're right in mocking anyone who panics for this stuff as if it were any serious and does nothing for the enviornment and other serious issues. It's always been like this, like with the ebola spread a few years ago. Everyone talking as if the world was ending because of the ebola, people buying lots of medicines (which who knows where they were made and in what poor conditions they were produced) and then not caring for real, existant problems. Same people who panic for viruses and then regularly eat at MacDonald's, do very little physical activity and eat lots of medicines as soon as they have a slight headache.

I will always support memes mocking stupid people panicking for nothing.
    Once again, the bus I take to go home failed to stop at its designated bus stop, so I had to do the trip on foot. Not the first time it did that, you may say. But what's more infuriating this time is that I really needed it today. You see, yesterday, I fell in the street, and pulled a muscle while getting up. More precisely, my left calf. So I had to limp back home, after working standing up for seven hours. Thanks a lot, Mr bus driver.
    Walecs wrote: »

I think they're right in mocking anyone who panics for this stuff as if it were any serious and does nothing for the enviornment and other serious issues. It's always been like this, like with the ebola spread a few years ago. Everyone talking as if the world was ending because of the ebola, people buying lots of medicines (which who knows where they were made and in what poor conditions they were produced) and then not caring for real, existant problems. Same people who panic for viruses and then regularly eat at MacDonald's, do very little physical activity and eat lots of medicines as soon as they have a slight headache.

I will always support memes mocking stupid people panicking for nothing.

Not to be too factual or anything but a lockdown for 60 million people is world news by definition. By now more than 1500 people have died in about two months time, whilst 65.000 got the desease. I'd say Chinese in lockdown have all the rights to panic. You may think Sars wasn't spectacular for wherever you live, but for China and Hong Kong it's a strong memory, as ebola is for afrika. Those memes go the world over. But I guess it's easier to see the world from only your own perspective, not realizing what doesn't affect you might affect people somewhere else....
    I understand that it's a real problem for Chinese people. It makes me laugh when people from my country (Italy) panic as if that problem concerned themselves.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 1,661
    This is kind annoying me so here goes...

How come some film fans - including people on this site - have no problem with a 77 year old Harrison Ford coming back for another Indiana Jones film and yet many fans used Roger Moore's age - 57 - as an excuse to dislike A View To A Kill.

It's absolute hypocrisy.

"Yeah, let's see Ford back. He's looking good for 77!"

"Roger Moore was too old in AVTAK. It was disgusting seeing him bedding Grace Jones!"

Just for the record - I had no problem with recasting Bond in 1986. Roger had done enough, it made sense to recast and change direction but I can't stand people eager to see another old man Indiana Jones film. Ford looks old, he acts old, he talks old, he moves old. He's old. PERIOD. Getting old is not a crime, it happens to us all but I don't need to see old man Indiana Jones back on screen. Geez, please no.

Rant over.

And the chorus of No Time To Die is near IDENTICAL to Sam Smith's Writing's On The Wall. It's a blatant copy. You'd think someone at Eon would have said "hey, this sounds the same!"

Whatever. I feel better now for getting this off my chest.

edited February 2020 Posts: 3,157
    This reminds me that everyone hated that Harrison Ford was rumored to play Indy again in 2012 (when Disney bought Lucasfilm) yet everyone was pretty much wanking at the thought that he, Hamill and Fisher would return for a new Star Wars trilogy. People hardly are coherent with themselves.

As for Ford playing Indy again, I was up for it 10 years ago after KotCS had been made. I was also okay with the idea four years ago when the movie was first announced and was supposed to come out last year. Now I believe he is too old and I'm skeptical that they're gonna release it next year (if they are, a younger actor will actually portray Indy and Ford will only bookend the movie).
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 1,661
    Yes, I agree. The technology exists - deep fake - to de-age actors. It's pretty amazing software so in theory Ford could act the part, record his lines and ILM de-age him in post production to around 40 years old. If it all works seamlessly it could be quite something to behold. If I were making IJ 5 I'd go that route. I'm sure if James Cameron were making it he would de-age Ford. Cameron is a visionary when it comes to the use of CGI. I doubt Disney would do that because they're a very safe kinda boring studio.

I think an entire Indiana Jones film with Ford younger would be a gamechanger for the film industry. Actors were de-aged in The Irishman - Pacino etc - but an entire film with Ford as 40 would be a genuine gamechanger, I feel.

But 77 or older Ford? No thanks. And if anyone says "he looks great for his age" I'm gonna say "did you think Roger Moore was too old in AVTAK?" and if they say "yes" I'm gonna scream!!!!

I won't mention Indiana Jones anymore because there is an official thread but I didn't want to rant about some Bond fans raving about Ford as if he's some spring chicken so I thought I'd moan here instead. ;))
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 15,785
    Well, heck. My Blu-ray player is finally wearing out. My better half bought it for me 6 years ago. It's been amazing, now it only uploads certain discs. Unfortunately, the Blu-rays themselves aren't loading properly. Some DVDs are, though.

No wonder I haven't been Bond commenting much lately.

We're supposed to stay in, but I think this calls for a quick field trip. Sadly I'm not quite prepared to go fancy and get a 4K player. I'll have to find something that will hold down the fort until then, and until this era passes. I imagine supplies are low and I may just end up grabbing a back up DVD player if there are no Blu-ray players available.

In my immediate area, there are only a few places that sell cheap DVD players (ones that freeze on you), so I'll have to venture out further.

Wish me luck.

UPDATE:

Grabbed a Philips Blu-ray player and am seeing a difference in picture and sound from my old player. Popped in OHMSS to see how the picture looks and it does have a bit more depth than my older player.