What is the reason for the 'flying boat' in QOS ?

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    M: You killed Haynes' bodyguard!
    OO7: But M....I DIDN'T! IT WASN'T MY DOING! THE BAD GUYS--THE EVIL ORGANIZATION I WAS FOLLOWING! THEY DID IT!

I don't want to see that scene.
    Actually I was talking about a well written one.
    Fair enough.

I'm exaggerating of course, but to me it plays better Bond isn't defending himself about Slate in Haiti, the bodyguard in Austria, Mathis(!) in South America. M should know better. And Bond's usefulness to M is taking things on himself--allowing M some insulation and deniability to let her do her own job, which is tough in a different way. It's great to see the screws put to OO7 and he still comes out on top.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Thinking about it,when its next on TV there will a subtitles option then.
    That will be the time to see if Bond says 'anchor' or not.

On the Blu-ray, no subtitles say anchor.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Perhaps Bond was shouting a bit of abuse at the driver of the other boat ?
    Calling him something that sounds like anchor, ....... I know I've done it.
    If any Bond would say that,it would be CraigBond...haha
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Bond doesn't shout anything, he grunts. But the anchor theory holds some ground. At exactly 2.21 in that video you see the rest of the rope (to the right of the grappling hook) and on there it seems an anchor is laying. Problem is you don't see Bond throw it in the water, but he could do that just after he throws the hook, as we're watching one of the bad guys try to get to the hook. It's not much and, though I love QoS, this part has always annoyed me. Now I'm slightly less annoyed, allthough it's not convincing enough. There's sure a shot missing.
    Just watching QOS and STILL i dont get the bloody anchor-flying boat scenario.....drives me mad..the boat is just pulled out to sea..not attached to anything .
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339
    What’s the theory you were going to mention in the other thread @RichardTheBruce ?
    Let me put that together, @barryt007. No promises on changing the opinions of those already dug in, of course.
  • RC7RC7
    Just watching QOS and STILL i dont get the bloody anchor-flying boat scenario.....drives me mad..the boat is just pulled out to sea..not attached to anything .

It’s the least of my worries with that film. If it were the biggest issue I’d be delighted.
    Let me put that together, @barryt007. No promises on changing the opinions of those already dug in, of course.

Look forward to it ..we need to know what the heck happened!
    RC7 wrote: »

It’s the least of my worries with that film. If it were the biggest issue I’d be delighted.

Ow...it’s my #4...what are your main probs wz it ?
  • RC7 wrote: »

For some of us, the flying boat is the biggest issue with it!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

For some of us, the entire film is an issue.

And most of us have issues!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Subscribe for my latest issues!

Subscribe for my latest issues!

Will do, if you'll prescribe for mine!
  • RC7RC7

Look forward to it ..we need to know what the heck happened!

Ow...it’s my #4...what are your main probs wz it ?

Relentless, but simultaneously aimless. No light and shade, no meat on the bones, utterly redundant action (bar the PTS) and an obvious hard on for Bourne.

It has its fair share of good-great bits, as do the rest, but it’s massively overrated. In its defence it was following up an incredible piece of work, but I can’t give it a pass as it doesn’t capitalise on the better facets of its predecessor. Instead choosing to push things into Greengrass territory. Campbell brought class, as he did in GE. In QoS it’s sorely lacking, particularly as a counterpoint to the relatively dour tone.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 13,012
    medium_20180209093416_schoini_tziva_sizal_manila_8mm.jpeg
    For your consideration: The Quantum of Solace flying boat. Screen time referenced below.
    0:32:07 - Black boat overtakes Bond's onto its aft section, knocking out Camille.
    https://screenmusings.org/movie/blu-ray/Quantum-of-Solace/pages/Quantum-of-Solace-0694.htm

0:32:13 - Coiled rope, appears to be tied off on both a small anchor on one end
    0:32:14 - ...and a grappling hook (made out of rebar?!) on the other.

[Unseen: does Bond toss the anchor over the side into the water first? Appears to be so for what follows.]

0:32:15 - Bond grasps the grappling hook and hurls it over and into the black rubber boat.

0:32:17 - Bad guys scramble forward with automatic weapons to take out Bond.
    https://screenmusings.org/movie/blu-ray/Quantum-of-Solace/pages/Quantum-of-Solace-0695.htm

0:32:18 - The rope back in Bond's boat rapidly goes taut.

0:32:20 - Front of the black boat is pulled down into the water.

0:32:21 - The boat is shown over Bond's shoulder launched into the air.
    007.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/543A_JAMES_BOND_ARCHIVES_XL_00399_269453075_269453076_252089452_Carousel.jpg
    bcae6414-5e59-4483-ae2a-6053d0b248a0_1.f6722f9d6b5327cc64c0523a430be2a2.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF
    So I'm gonna go with :
    - Coiled rope with anchor and grappling hooks shown.
    - Bond throws the anchor over the side.
    [Unseen]
    - Bond throws the grappling hook into the black boat.
    - Anchor catches on something underwater.
    - Rope pulls tight on grappling hook, sharply pulling the fore section of the black boat downward.
    - The effects of velocity, momentum, and buoyancy on the black boat further launch it airborne
    Youtube video for reference.

0c4de49e-2108-4751-909d-924229528759_1.0f98b12cb7520914be394e0751fd8665.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I thought it might be as you say @RichardTheBruce . I did identify the hook and anchor, and have the feeling there might even be a cut scene in which he throws the anchor.

I love QoS, it's certainly in my top 5, and this has Always been my biggest gripe with the film, after the horrendous title song which I Always skip anyway.

This adds circumstantial to Richard's theory. How else would they launch the boat if they did it all for real.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    So I'm gonna go with :

- Coiled rope with anchor and grappling hooks shown.
    - Bond throws the anchor over the side.
    [Unseen]
    - Bond throws the grappling hook into the black boat.
    - Anchor catches on something underwater.
    - Rope pulls tight on grappling hook, sharply pulling the fore section of the black boat downward.
    - The effects of velocity, momentum, and buoyancy on the black boat further launch it airborne

I'm rather uncomfortable on relying on 'unseen' shots that we are just speculating should be there but aren't. Although your explanation makes logical sense, if true then it's appalling film-making. It's a visual medium and you can't just have missing shots and expect the audience to piece it all together. Particularly when the shots you do have are often no more than a tenth of a second long.
    This adds circumstantial to Richard's theory. How else would they launch the boat if they did it all for real.
    Hardly.

This is the pertinent quote from the article: '"The entire boat sequence was all shot for real,” recalled Forster. “There was no green screen work"'

That doesn't prove that the boat was flipped for real at all. Just that they filmed the whole sequence on location with real elements. In fact without doing all the physics (happy to proved wrong by someone who has) I'll go out on a limb and say the only way they got the boat to do that was with an air cannon. The anchor theory as portrayed in the film would most likely just rip the front off the boat or just snap the rope. I sincerely doubt it would fire it 20 feet into the air.

The fact that we're still discussing that scene ten years after the movie was released (and there are a lot of scenes like that : I still don't know how Bond managed to ged rid of that plane during the dogfight sequence) proves only one thing : Marc Forster didn't manage to make his intent clear. Or in other words (doing my best Stephen Amel impersonation) :

"Marc Forster, you have failed this franchise !"
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Mind you,dont get me started on the parachute jump,that was just extraordinarily bad.

Anyway,back to the boat,does anyone agree with my 'Bond says Anchor' theory or is it debunked now ,if someone has seen the scene with subtitles ?
    The boat flip to me has no more consequence than how OO7 gets from the Ocean Club to Miami Airport. I see the results on screen, don't need convincing.

Less so than the scuba mask changing color in Thunderball. Doesn't compare to the Ford Mustang alley reversal in Diamonds Are Forever. Or register on the scale, even.
    Mind you,dont get me started on the parachute jump,that was just extraordinarily bad.
    I could take that one on as well. Continue the Rationalise This discussion.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 9,117
    Don't really see what's wrong with the parachute jump (apart from the dismal execution obviously).

The only imponerables are how far above the ground would you need to pull the cord for the chute to reach the maximum deceleration and how hard can you hit and still walk away.

But at least it's all there on screen without us having to make up shots that don't exist.

@RichardTheBruce you say that there's a missing shot of an anchor and that is what flips the boat. I can't dispute that. But nor can you dispute it if I say there's a missing shot where the Flying Spaghetti Monster flies down and lobs the boat up in the air with its giant pasta paw.
    The boat flip to me has no more consequence than how OO7 gets from the Ocean Club to Miami Airport. I see the results on screen, don't need convincing.
    Why bother showing the parachute jump then? Just have Bond ski off the Asgard then cut to him walking into M's office?

Bond flying from the Bahamas to Miami is mundane and we don't need to see how it's done. A boat flipping 20 feet in the air or a bloke skiing off a mountain and surviving is spectacular and incredible so we need to be shown how the trick is done otherwise the whole thing becomes silly.
    I reject the Flying Spaghetti Monster strawman.
    As is your prerogative.

And I reject your anchor that Bond throws over the side, which catches on something underwater and has the power to launch a boat into the air that we never see theory as is my prerogative.

On balance of probabilities your theory is the more likely I'll grant you but neither are provable.
    As is your prerogative.

And I reject your anchor that Bond throws over the side, which catches on something underwater and has the power to launch a boat into the air that we never see theory as is my prerogative.

On balance of probabilities your theory is the more likely I'll grant you but neither are provable.

except circumstantial. There IS a rope with anchor in the boat, and certainly no spaghetti monster to be seen. It makes the rope-thesis far more plausible.
    I answered @barryt007's question. I told him what he wanted to know about Quantum('s flying boat).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3ZXOSokvnLCtQQ0PqSKdaSoWDB-Xh_VcejaUKs7x5bj87fW84Bg