What is the reason for the 'flying boat' in QOS ?

Comments

This is my favourite thread ever, because I'm very passionate about anchors and physics and shitty filmmaking.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    If we ever get a director's commentary version, who knows there might be an answer.

Anyone attempting to commentate this film would probably be out of breath pretty quickly due to how fast the scenes change.
    Thinking about it,when its next on TV there will a subtitles option then.
    That will be the time to see if Bond says 'anchor' or not.
    The people responsible for this scene should be required to watch the boat chase from TWINE until they learn what a good boat chase is

And also the one from LALD. Let's face it, even both chases from MR were better than the one from QOS.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Apart from anything else why would you have an anchor attached to a grappling hook?

I'm no sailor but isn't the anchor by definition attached to the boat to err anchor it?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It was all part of Silva's plan !
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It was Tanner. He borrowed Ant-Man's shrinking suit and jumped down on the boat when Bond tossed the hook in to make Bond look even more badass. ;)
    It was all part of Silva's plan !

Silva nothing - Blofeld was the author of this.
    Less believable than the physics is why bond hands over Camille to a random guy at the end. I mean she's his only lead. All that for a lame gag
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Less believable than the physics is why bond hands over Camille to a random guy at the end. I mean she's his only lead. All that for a lame gag

She would've been his only lead if she didn't confirm who Greene was, or if Bond still wasn't in pursuit of him.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

She would've been his only lead if she didn't confirm who Greene was, or if Bond still wasn't in pursuit of him.

But he already saw her with Greene. Why not just follow Greene in the first place because thats what he does after the boat chase?

What changes between the start of the boat chase and the end that means he's not interested in following Greene and then suddenly he is?

Is the whole point of the boat chase just to save a damsel in distress? But how does Bond discern she's even in distress? Just watched the bit where Camille gets introduced to Medrano and after Greene says 'Be careful what you wish for' a guy grabs her arm. Not particularly roughly and she doesnt scream or struggle. And depending on Bond's view (which is a long way away) he might not even see it. After that Greene says 'Have fun you two' and she is led to the boat and a guy actually takes her hand to help her onto it! But Bond concludes from this scant evidence that she's about to be killed so he forgets the mission (and shows his hand to Medrano and Greene) just to save her?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2017 Posts: 17,804
    It seems to me that the whole point of the boat chase was because the writers felt that it was was high time for yet another action sequence apparently so the plot had to be put on hold for that to occur. And I say that even though I really like QoS.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »

But he already saw her with Greene. Why not just follow Greene in the first place because thats what he does after the boat chase?

What changes between the start of the boat chase and the end that means he's not interested in following Greene and then suddenly he is?

Is the whole point of the boat chase just to save a damsel in distress? But how does Bond discern she's even in distress? Just watched the bit where Camille gets introduced to Medrano and after Greene says 'Be careful what you wish for' a guy grabs her arm. Not particularly roughly and she doesnt scream or struggle. And depending on Bond's view (which is a long way away) he might not even see it. After that Greene says 'Have fun you two' and she is led to the boat and a guy actually takes her hand to help her onto it! But Bond concludes from this scant evidence that she's about to be killed so he forgets the mission (and shows his hand to Medrano and Greene) just to save her?
    You raise interesting and salient questions. I've always assumed that Bond's powers of observation and discernment from afar allowed him to conclude that Camille's life was in danger. So he decided to save her (Even admonishing her with a terse "You're welcome!") on a hunch before continuing his pursuit of Greene. I'm obviously not a highly trained MI6 agent and so wouldn't have been able to reach the same accurate conclusions as he did. I was impressed though.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Bond did observe Camille being grabbed by Medrano's man and went to her rescue. He was proven right on that and it got him important intel.

Bond didn't take her along because she was visibly both capable and pissed. He didn't have time to entertain, convince, or interrogate her. She'd be a liability tying him up at a time he had other business. Moving on immediately after Greene, he was also proven right in the film.

Bond is usually right about these things.
    Bond did observe Camille being grabbed by Medrano's man and went to her rescue. He was proven right on that and it got him important intel.

Bond didn't take her along because she was visibly both capable and pissed. He didn't have time to entertain, convince, or interrogate her. She'd be a liability tying him up at a time he had other business. Moving on immediately after Greene, he was also proven right in the film.

Bond is usually right about these things.

Could you point me in the direction of what important intel he got after Camille gets taken on the boat as I think on my DVD the shot is missing like the anchor shot?
    Being able to connect Dominic to Greene. It set him on his way to identify the Quantum organization and its caper.

That's how it's presented in the film.
    Milovy wrote: »
    This is my favourite thread ever, because I'm very passionate about anchors and physics and shitty filmmaking.

Can we all just pause for a moment to admire this outstanding piece of work? This is the post of the week, as far as I'm concerned.
    @Milovy has my immediate respect.
    9780471661955-us-300.jpg
    edited July 2017 Posts: 9,117
    9780471661955-us-300.jpg

Did anyone think that book was a bit disappointing?

There was this one too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0801882486/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499735516&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=physics+of+james+bond&dpPl=1&dpID=51AXCNB06AL&ref=plSrch

Again not as good as I was hoping.
    This part of the film is where things start to fall apart. I really dislike the interplay between greene and Camille in the warehouse. The script tries to give us important information but it's done in a hamfisted unrealistic way.

It's too much to assume an audience cares about a characters motivations they met 30 seconds previously - "all the bullshit", "damn it Dominic", "because you love me" - what IS there relationship based on this!?

Very confusing.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    9780471661955-us-300.jpg

Did anyone think that book was a bit disappointing?

There was this one too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0801882486/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499735516&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=physics+of+james+bond&dpPl=1&dpID=51AXCNB06AL&ref=plSrch

Again not as good as I was hoping.

Yes, those books were rather disappointing.
    Maybe we should retitle this thread and open it up to all questions of scientific credibility in Bond films such as 'Is SPECTRE's Interceptor rocket in YOLT viable?' and 'How does Tanner remain invisible even when he is talking and the camera is focused on him?'

Is there not already a science in Bond films thread on here?
    Being able to connect Dominic to Greene. It set him on his way to identify the Quantum organization and its caper.

Exactly.

Bond only had the first name 'Dominic',he needed a surname to get a proper name check.
    That's the real point of the boat chase.

This part of the film is where things start to fall apart. I really dislike the interplay between greene and Camille in the warehouse. The script tries to give us important information but it's done in a hamfisted unrealistic way.

It's too much to assume an audience cares about a characters motivations they met 30 seconds previously - "all the bullshit", "damn it Dominic", "because you love me" - what IS there relationship based on this!?

Very confusing.

I've always been sort of bugged by whatever it is that Greene's doing in the warehouse. Is the great mastermind literally sitting at a table stamping a receipt?
    Maybe we should retitle this thread and open it up to all questions of scientific credibility in Bond films such as 'Is SPECTRE's Interceptor rocket in YOLT viable?' and 'How does Tanner remain invisible even when he is talking and the camera is focused on him?'

Is there not already a science in Bond films thread on here?

Careful there mate - start up with that and there isn't too much left untouched. Basically the entire Q branch disappears, for a start. . .
    barryt007 wrote: »

Exactly.

Bond only had the first name 'Dominic',he needed a surname to get a proper name check.

Well he already had 'Greene Planet' from the phone trace when Elvis calls Universal Exports. Don't exactly need to be Poirot to join the dots do you?

Also what is the ID card he steals from Camille when they are in the car before the crappy 'Ford advert' car chase? They show him surreptitiously stealing it and then it's never seen again.

Perhaps we should stop pulling at these threads in case the whole poorly constructed house of cards comes tumbling down?

Exactly.

Also what is the ID card he steals from Camille when they are in the car before the crappy 'Ford advert' car chase? They show him surreptitiously stealing it and then it's never seen again.

About that ID card. Since he knows she is Bolivian Secret Service when they meet the next time he seems to have made good use of it.
    If you forget about the really questionable stunts there are really preciously few plot holes in it. Actually the by far greatest being why he doesn't deny killing the bodyguard of Haynes.

Exactly.

About that ID card. Since he knows she is Bolivian Secret Service when they meet the next time he seems to have made good use of it.
    If you forget about the really questionable stunts there are really preciously few plot holes in it. Actually the by far greatest being why he doesn't deny killing the bodyguard of Haynes.

Yes,thats always annoyed me tbh.

QOS was a really great film....... For me to POOP on.

Exactly.

Yes,thats always annoyed me tbh.

Me too.