What is the reason for the 'flying boat' in QOS ?

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    STLCards3 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Just watching QOS and STILL i dont get the bloody anchor-flying boat scenario.....drives me mad..the boat is just pulled out to sea..not attached to anything .

It’s the least of my worries with that film. If it were the biggest issue I’d be delighted.

For some of us, the flying boat is the biggest issue with it!

I did notice the flying boat, but chalked-it up as an editing issue. I have always been much more bothered by Bond and Camille surviving the parachute fall completely uninjured.

Well the basics are this: As soon as the chute unfolds completely, it reaches it's terminal velocity. So, depending on how quickly it opens (the fastest do in 200ft/60 metres) you have a safe landing speed. From a skydive website:
    "A properly packed and deployed skydiving "ram-air" reserve parachute can open within 200 feet. Primary, or main, parachutes are often packed (some even designed) in a manner that actually slows their opening by as much as several hundred feet, sometimes more. This is desirable in a main parachute because fast openings usually mean hard openings. Hard openings can be painful and unnecessarily hard on equipment & jumper. This isn't conducive to a long skydiving career.
    Reserve parachutes are built to take it, and the sometimes painfully quick reserve parachute openings are the price you pay for super fast emergency parachute openings -- which, thankfully, aren't very frequent. "
    source:
    http://www.fabulousrocketeers.com/Photo_See_Ya.htm
    The question is: How did Bond manage to hang on to the chute opening that quickly....
    STLCards3 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Just watching QOS and STILL i dont get the bloody anchor-flying boat scenario.....drives me mad..the boat is just pulled out to sea..not attached to anything .

It’s the least of my worries with that film. If it were the biggest issue I’d be delighted.

For some of us, the flying boat is the biggest issue with it!

I did notice the flying boat, but chalked-it up as an editing issue. I have always been much more bothered by Bond and Camille surviving the parachute fall completely uninjured.

Well the basics are this: As soon as the chute unfolds completely, it reaches it's terminal velocity. So, depending on how quickly it opens (the fastest do in 200ft/60 metres) you have a safe landing speed. From a skydive website:
    "A properly packed and deployed skydiving "ram-air" reserve parachute can open within 200 feet. Primary, or main, parachutes are often packed (some even designed) in a manner that actually slows their opening by as much as several hundred feet, sometimes more. This is desirable in a main parachute because fast openings usually mean hard openings. Hard openings can be painful and unnecessarily hard on equipment & jumper. This isn't conducive to a long skydiving career.
    Reserve parachutes are built to take it, and the sometimes painfully quick reserve parachute openings are the price you pay for super fast emergency parachute openings -- which, thankfully, aren't very frequent. "
    source:
    http://www.fabulousrocketeers.com/Photo_See_Ya.htm
    The question is: How did Bond manage to hang on to the chute opening that quickly....

Interesting read. Thanks!
    Sorry peeps,but i am just watching QOS atm and Bond DEFINATELY says "anchor" as he throws it...there is no doubt.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Sorry peeps,but i am just watching QOS atm and Bond DEFINATELY says "anchor" as he throws it...there is no doubt.
    Honestly sounds like a grunt to me, but it's possible.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    It's definitely a grunt.
    Watch it again you nutters !!!
    So Bond brakes so that the other boat comes on top of his, knocking out Camille. Bond throws the anchor into the front of the other boat. Then accelerates so that the anchor gets extended as far as it can go. In order to stay in Bond's boat, it must leave the other boat quickly. Thus, it pulls at the front of the boat with a ton of force and flips it.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    So Bond brakes so that the other boat comes on top of his, knocking out Camille. Bond throws the anchor into the front of the other boat. Then accelerates so that the anchor gets extended as far as it can go. In order to stay in Bond's boat, it must leave the other boat quickly. Thus, it pulls at the front of the boat with a ton of force and flips it.

Good enough for me.
    For his next amazing feat he gets shot and falls down a bloody high bridge an does not drown and comes back to save the British Empire. Eat dust Harry bloody Potter.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

It's not clear to me what he says and it's not in the subtitles....
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Maybe Dan is saying "wanker!", muttering under his breath "Forster, this stunt doesn't make any sense, ya wanker!" :))
    The cameras on Quantum of Solace bother me deeply, they make Craig and Dench look incredibly old and rugged, as if maybe theyw photography were set up to bring out the best in landscapes but then we see wrinkles and pores and baggy eyes as emotional terrain to traverse and it's weird. Give me a softer focus on the neck , or some flattering lighting good God.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    The cameras on Quantum of Solace bother me deeply, they make Craig and Dench look incredibly old and rugged, as if maybe theyw photography were set up to bring out the best in landscapes but then we see wrinkles and pores and baggy eyes as emotional terrain to traverse and it's weird. Give me a softer focus on the neck , or some flattering lighting good God.

What has this to add to the 'flying boat' problem of the film? Or are you telling us the secret to the anchor is Dan's pores?
    Completely agreed. To better understand the anchor's function here, it is imperative that the sequence be allowed to breathe. Just like Dan's pores.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I thought we had done nothing but "pore" over this. ;-)
    :D I just put it down to pore editing.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    SaintMark wrote: »
    For his next amazing feat he gets shot and falls down a bloody high bridge an does not drown and comes back to save the British Empire. Eat dust Harry bloody Potter.

Pfft....muggles.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Bond is so good at diving, he once played for Columbia :D
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Perhaps this is not the correct thread to post this, but it's about QOS and its particular editing style... You know... https://www.dmovies.org/2018/08/08/sidney-lee-berthier-james-bond/
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Bond sheet 'appens. - Predator comment.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Just viewed QoS again and although it does sound as if Bond mutters "anchor", it isn't included in the subtitles. And the subtitles are very thorough.
    So annoying !!
    How on Earth is this not closed?
    Why should it? We're still hoping for the redeemer with inside knowledge to enlighten us.
    There's about 6 different explanations on here. Surely someone's got it right.
    Strange request @PropertyOfALady ..do you know something concrete we don’t ?
    No.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    This discussion is just getting STAH-ted.

Clip%20Art%20Nautical%2020.jpg
    This discussion is just getting STAH-ted.

Clip%20Art%20Nautical%2020.jpg

Yes cause nobody will know the true unless to talk with the peoples who create/film this scene, the editor of the movie, or unless to read a script of the movie or find storyboards of this scene. There is no points to comment without any of these things cause they are the ONLY way to know the true.