Tomb Raider (2018)

Comments

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I also enjoyed it very much, especially the homage to one of my favourite moves in the games, the one where you hang by your hands from a rope and shuffle sideways. And I thought Vikander nailed it as a younger Lara - slightly less polish than the older version but the same grit.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    So I do need to go and see this one? I'm starting to become a big Vikander then probably.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I dunno about 'need', but you're unlikely to come out thinking you wasted your ticket money.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2018 Posts: 4,441
    In The Netherlands the movie opens with a bit a more then million with 114 theater counts.
    Red Sparrow opens two weaks a go with 131 theater counts with almoost 837.000. After three weaks it deliever almoost 2,2 million. Tombraider is released in 3D and 4D, whyle Sparrow is not.

Tombraider beats The Blackpanther who stay four weaks on number 1.

If i whas Warner i plan sequel already for the end of 2020 and named it Lara Croft: Tombraider 2
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I was planning on seeing this tomorrow but I just may go and see it today based on the encouraging feedback here.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I dunno about 'need', but you're unlikely to come out thinking you wasted your ticket money.

That's the best way to put this movie. It's nothing you need to see, however you won't feel like you wasted your money or time. I also thought it was good enough to have at least one sequel.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's one of the better films I've seen all year. It has a decent tone throughout. Having said that, I far preferred the earlier parts of the film in London & Hong Kong compared to the later parts in the wildlife. It made me realize that I'd really like an 'urban' Croft film, although I realize it's highly unlikely.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    That's indeed unlikely, @bondjames, since Tomb Raider is all about those wildlife/abandoned places she needs to be at, judging by the fact she's an archaeologist.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Yes, I know @ClarkDevlin. It's just that the earlier scenes in the film are really well done, particularly some of the chase sequences which use the surrounding environment creatively. There's an 'in the moment' lively atmosphere to the scenes which makes a welcome change from the CGI fake enhanced rubbish we see in so many efforts these days including, sadly, the last Bond film.
    Off to see this in less than an hour.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    That's indeed unlikely, @bondjames, since Tomb Raider is all about those wildlife/abandoned places she needs to be at, judging by the fact she's an archaeologist.

Although a few levels in Tomb Raider II were set in Venice, Tomb Raider III in London, Tomb Raider IV in Cairo and Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness had pretty much only urban locations (admittedly that's the least appreciated Tomb Raider game).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Walecs wrote: »
    Although a few levels in Tomb Raider II were set in Venice, Tomb Raider III in London, Tomb Raider IV in Cairo and Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness had pretty much only urban locations (admittedly that's the least appreciated Tomb Raider game).
    Of course. Never said urban locations weren't included. But, generally, a Tomb Raider story has a wildlife location as its primary setting. Tomb Raider: Legend also had a level set in Tokyo, which was stunning.

Then again, that Tomb Raider is a thing of the past. It's all different, now.
    Just got back from seeing this and I really enjoyed it. It was definitely much better than what I was expecting but I sincerely hope a sequel gets greenlit soon. I wasn't a fan of Vikander's casting but her performance was strong enough and had enough charm to win me over. I also appreciate her stunt work and the physical shape she got into for the role. The story itself was run of the mill and very predictable which isn't necessarily a bad thing; but the overall execution was surprisingly strong for a genre infamous for really sucking.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    So many good/ok reviews here! I might just see- I will definitely purchase it.
  • Is it great cinema? No

Wow you really sold it.

Sorry, but were you expecting a film called "Tomb Raider" to be great cinema?

No but I was hoping for it to be great like a Bond, Indiana Jones or Mission Impossible movie.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Just watched it! My thoughts:

(1) Alicia Vikander is HOT
    (2) Quite a few homages to the the game, without doing a DAD
    (3) Plot was WUUTT? Plot of first reboot game definitely better. Lucky it didn't distract from the movie on first viewing
    (4) Did I say Vikander is hot? Vikander for Bond 25!
    I personally don't find Vikander attractive; and to me, she lacks the prettiness of the LC character but she did a good job embodying the character for the most part and I'm ok with her casting.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness had pretty much only urban locations (admittedly that's the least appreciated Tomb Raider game).
    I'm close to finishing AoD. It's a good game, though probably with more development time it could've been great.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    mattjoes wrote: »

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness had pretty much only urban locations (admittedly that's the least appreciated Tomb Raider game).
    I'm close to finishing AoD. It's a good game, though probably with more development time it could've been great.

I remember playing Angel of Darkness on release it was not the best of the series though decent, back then it had a lot of bugs and glitches, it was better than Chronicles though that was poor.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

I remember playing Angel of Darkness on release it was not the best of the series though decent, back then it had a lot of bugs and glitches, it was better than Chronicles though that was poor.

From what I remember when moving around the environments, there was a lot of screen loading times, which was really frustrating…never got to finish that one. Currently playing through Underworld for the first time.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    After 7 weaks the movie deliever almoost 3,6 million ($3,580,70) at the Dutch Boxoffice.

Three Billboards after 16 weaks: $3,406,294
    Red Sparrow after 9 weaks: $3,323,096

The Hitman's Bodyguard in 2017 did almoost same kind of money and Kong: Skull Island did 3,9.
    With $2,146,438 The Mummy remake with Tom Cruise did worse. Tombraider 2 in 2003 did $1,431,757.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

From what I remember when moving around the environments, there was a lot of screen loading times, which was really frustrating…never got to finish that one. Currently playing through Underworld for the first time.

Replaying Underworld picked it up on Xbox backward compatibility, it's a good game i am right at the beginning trying to remember how I beat the giant Octopus section.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Did see the film last weekend. She's a far more believeable character then the Jolie incarnation and plays it extremely well. This girl has some talent. Loved the film!
    The only thing that's a surprise to me is that people actually paid money to go see this crap. Unfortunately, the more you part with cash to see trash like this, the more likely it is that Hollywood will keep churning out the same dross. It really is a self-perpetuating cycle that won't be broken until you boycott this type of movie. I was glad to see audiences send Guy Richie a message with King Arfur though. Please do the same with Robin In Da Hood.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    bondsum wrote: »
    The only thing that's a surprise to me is that people actually paid money to go see this crap. Unfortunately, the more you part with cash to see trash like this, the more likely it is that Hollywood will keep churning out the same dross. It really is a self-perpetuating cycle that won't be broken until you boycott this type of movie. I was glad to see audiences send Guy Richie a message with King Arfur though. Please do the same with Robin In Da Hood.

I’m going to take a shot in the dark and guess that you didn’t like the film. I admit it’s not fine cinema, but it’s by no means a bad movie.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited May 2018 Posts: 1,812

What are you going on about? If you don't like that type of movie just don't see it. Tomb Raider was a fine movie. No need to boycott it.
    When is the bluray release?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SaintMark wrote: »
    When is the bluray release?

June 12th, 2018.
    Thanks will look into the movie then mostly because I quite like Vikanders movies so far.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

What are you going on about? If you don't like that type of movie just don't see it. Tomb Raider was a fine movie. No need to boycott it.

I've seen worse…a lot worse (still say it was bloody loud though!).