Tomb Raider (2018)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Thanks will look into the movie then mostly because I quite like Vikanders movies so far.
    In my opinion she's what elevates it and makes it interesting. Apart from her it's a rather run of the mill affair imho. Goes to show what an engaged and credible lead performance can do for a film.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    bondsum wrote: »
    The only thing that's a surprise to me is that people actually paid money to go see this crap. Unfortunately, the more you part with cash to see trash like this, the more likely it is that Hollywood will keep churning out the same dross. It really is a self-perpetuating cycle that won't be broken until you boycott this type of movie. I was glad to see audiences send Guy Richie a message with King Arfur though. Please do the same with Robin In Da Hood.

What are you going on about? If you don't like that type of movie just don't see it. Tomb Raider was a fine movie. No need to boycott it.

I've seen worse…a lot worse (still say it was bloody loud though!).

That's more a cinema problem. saw this in one on one of the smaller screens in the cinema here and it wasn't loud at all.

@bondjames it certainly is Vikander making the whole film work. Everything else was just ok, but she just sells it and at points where I'd normally go 'yeah sure' (the aircraft wreck) she just makes it nailbiting tense.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Definitely so @CommanderRoss, she was great. I can't wait to pick it up on blu ray when it's released soon. As I noted after I saw it, I really enjoyed the earlier parts of the film in London and Hong Kong.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The only thing that's a surprise to me is that people actually paid money to go see this crap. Unfortunately, the more you part with cash to see trash like this, the more likely it is that Hollywood will keep churning out the same dross. It really is a self-perpetuating cycle that won't be broken until you boycott this type of movie. I was glad to see audiences send Guy Richie a message with King Arfur though. Please do the same with Robin In Da Hood.

What are you going on about? If you don't like that type of movie just don't see it. Tomb Raider was a fine movie. No need to boycott it.

That's more a cinema problem. saw this in one on one of the smaller screens in the cinema here and it wasn't loud at all.

@bondjames it certainly is Vikander making the whole film work. Everything else was just ok, but she just sells it and at points where I'd normally go 'yeah sure' (the aircraft wreck) she just makes it nailbiting tense.

My viewing was at my local independent in which even the BIG screen isn't that big. And when I say loud I don't just mean the volume, but the effects and incidentals were all 'loud' on the soundtrack…if that makes any sense?!
    bondjames wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Thanks will look into the movie then mostly because I quite like Vikanders movies so far.
    In my opinion she's what elevates it and makes it interesting. Apart from her it's a rather run of the mill affair imho. Goes to show what an engaged and credible lead performance can do for a film.

Agreed - she puts in a heroic effort despite middling material. I'd blame a so-so villain, as well as weird structuring. We really only get to the island and the tomb quite late in the film. Really wish we'd spent more time exploring that environment rather than on the London set-up. But it definitely has the feel of the first in a series, so maybe all that ground work will pay off later. If they can lure Vikander back for some sequels, they'll get their money's worth out of her for sure.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

My viewing was at my local independent in which even the BIG screen isn't that big. And when I say loud I don't just mean the volume, but the effects and incidentals were all 'loud' on the soundtrack…if that makes any sense?!

I think I understand, and I've experienced that with other films often enough, but not with this one. Must say though in this country there's been some sort of movement away from very loud music/sounds as many youth already have damaged eardrums because of going to concerts (which are set up by by-now rather deaf technicians) etc. Even a family-investment bureau weighed in saying they're investing in hear-aid manufacturers. With an aging populace and so many youth blowing out their ears it's a certain winner. People even take earplugs to the cinemas now.

Anyway, as I said, I didn't have the same experience, and I'm sensitive to this. So I don't think it's the film itself per sé.

@octofinger I certainly hope they'll make a sequel. I liked the villain though. He didn't hold back that much as they usually do. He seemed genuenly crazy after many years on that Island.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

I think I understand, and I've experienced that with other films often enough, but not with this one. Must say though in this country there's been some sort of movement away from very loud music/sounds as many youth already have damaged eardrums because of going to concerts (which are set up by by-now rather deaf technicians) etc. Even a family-investment bureau weighed in saying they're investing in hear-aid manufacturers. With an aging populace and so many youth blowing out their ears it's a certain winner. People even take earplugs to the cinemas now.

Anyway, as I said, I didn't have the same experience, and I'm sensitive to this. So I don't think it's the film itself per sé.

@octofinger I certainly hope they'll make a sequel. I liked the villain though. He didn't hold back that much as they usually do. He seemed genuenly crazy after many years on that Island.

Maybe our projectionist just turned it up to 11! I may get it on Blu-ray, then I'll know. It would be nice if there was (I'm not sure that there is at the moment) an upper decibel limit when showing films.
    I found this movie so frustrating, it's not even awful it's just mediocre. Blandly shot, scenes are just pale imitations of the game, takes it plot seriously when there's nothing interesting about it. Vikander doesn't give a bad performance, but she doesn't do anything that makes me go, "That's Lara Croft!" That doesn't mean acting like the game character it just means a great performance.

I really can't see a reason they can't bring in people talented enough to do TR film in the league of James Bond and Mission Impossible.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,530
    I rather liked the film. Didn't see it in theatres due to a busy schedule but I got around to seeing it at home a few days ago. I was rather impressed with how so NOT a failure this is. Sure, they repeat a lot of the beats from TR1 and in fact there's a bit of Indy 3 in there as well. But Alicia is a delight, the music is good, I love the film's colour palette and they were patient enough not to get all the "trademark" Lara stuff inserted within the first couple of minutes. Furthermore, Lara is a lot more vulnerable, more down-to-earth as it were.

Expecting plastic, I got something better. Not yet marble... but wood. At least I got wood.

Wait... that sounded wrong, didn't it?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I rather liked the film. Didn't see it in theatres due to a busy schedule but I got around to seeing it at home a few days ago. I was rather impressed with how so NOT a failure this is. Sure, they repeat a lot of the beats from TR1 and in fact there's a bit of Indy 3 in there as well. But Alicia is a delight, the music is good, I love the film's colour palette and they were patient enough not to get all the "trademark" Lara stuff inserted within the first couple of minutes. Furthermore, Lara is a lot more vulnerable, more down-to-earth as it were.

Expecting plastic, I got something better. Not yet marble... but wood. At least I got wood.

Wait... that sounded wrong, didn't it?
    8mwUmSv.jpg
    My condensed little review is basically this.
    Vikander was well cast. Fit, young strong. Way more convincing than Jolie's casting.
    But Jolie's movies were more exciting. More escapist.
    I have no interest in seeing this new film again, however I do look forward to a sequel.
    Vikander is a very appealing actress. At this stage of her career, I'd check out pretty much anything she is in, but if there is to be a Lara Croft 2, I'd up the raw entertainment, suspense and intrigue factors a notch or two
    eg the mystery behind what the big cave and it's secrets was about, ultimately wasn't all that interesting IMO. The story kind of fell flat after much buildup
    But at the end the movie suddenly did set up well for a more intriguing sequel.
    Bring it on!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just bought all the early Tomb Raider games for PC, totally forgot about the intro to Tomb Raider Legend

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Hell yes!

Not even seen the first one!
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one! I really enjoyed the first one!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I rather like the film, or rather, I like Alicia as Lara Croft. I for one am very pleased with this news.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I enjoyed the first film so this is good news. It was utterly daft but good fun.
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    Watch this movie come out before Indiana Jones 5
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am a long time Lara fan though the recent film fell flat for me, I ended up switching it off mid way through. It must have done OK at the box office to get a sequel green lit, I will give the sequel a chance I guess.

Officially happening in this case means hired writers, which in filmmaking does not mean coming next year.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2019 Posts: 15,690
    M_Blaise wrote: »

Officially happening in this case means hired writers, which in filmmaking does not mean coming next year.

Thanks for you input but no-one here (or even that article) mentioned a release date.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yes! She might get to start in a good movie this time!
    M_Blaise wrote: »

Thanks for you input but no-one here (or even that article) mentioned a release date.

Was not actually my point.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Add me to the Strongly In Favour list for TR2!
    Quite liked TR, didn't think it did well enough at the box office to warrant a sequel but interested to see what they do.

Hopefully we don't see that movie at all lol.

• DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »

Hopefully we don't see that movie at all lol.
    I quite like the original trilogy but the fourth was a lighthearted fun romp. So what if Harrison couldnt actually swing from a whip anymore? It’s a movie for godssake.

edited September 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Ben Wheatley (Free Fire, Kill List) will direct Tomb Raider 2, to be released on March 19, 2021.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/tomb-raider-sequel-ben-wheatley-director-alicia-vikander-lara-croft-mgm-march-19-2021-release-1202710550/
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Ben Wheatley (Free Fire, Kill List) will direct Tomb Raider 2, to be released on March 19, 2021.

YES!
  • The only film I’ve seen by him so far is A Field In England, which was excellent. Am looking forward to him doing Tomb Raider very much