Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• edited January 2019 Posts: 5,811
    Happy and Aunt May ?

Well, better than Doc Ock, I guess.

Meanwhile :

DxC_y9HVYAEF977.jpg

DxDADh2UwAALAVl.jpg

DxDAEy6UUAAKpup.jpg

DxC_1nVU0AA6aCa.jpg

DxC_3YsU0AAlKyS.jpg

DxC_5P2UcAIAA4_.jpg

DxC_7muVsAElMdo.jpg

DxC_86FUcAAgVLb.jpg

DxC_-zMVYAEsaGY.jpg

DxDACPtV4AEQ8hf.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Jany Temime officially confirmed for the Black Widow solo film, coming in 2020.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    No butt shots...progression I suppose.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 5,767
    Please tell me that Ben Mendelsohn is not playing a bad guy.
    And isn´t that Djimon Hounsou from GotG? Is he the same character? Should I read more Comic books?
  • Djimon Hounsou Is the same character! Ronan from GOTG is in it too!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited January 2019 Posts: 7,854
    boldfinger wrote: »

Of course he's a bad guy. But is he the bad guy? That's the real question.

Are Coulson, Fury and the cat in the same pose?
  • I thought Ronin the Accuser was supposed to play a prominent role in this film. Or is it just going to be a glorified cameo?
  • DxC_5P2UcAIAA4_.jpg

This is awesome. I hope she plays more than just a throwaway role.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    And isn´t that Djimon Hounsou from GotG? Is he the same character? Should I read more Comic books?

Djimon Hounsou was recently in Aquaman, and he'll be in both Captain Marvel and Shazam!.
    Black Panther has been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

This is truly baffling to me. Important or not, it was above average at best.

Though at least it didn't get any VFX nods.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

This is truly baffling to me. Important or not, it was above average at best.

Though at least it didn't get any VFX nods.
    Agreed, although I'm not surprised. They wanted to create another award specifically to recognize this film (if I'm not mistaken) but then retracted (thankfully).

It's somewhat predictable, given the nature of these award things these days.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Djimon Hounsou was recently in Aquaman, and he'll be in both Captain Marvel and Shazam!.

And, yes, he was in Guardians of the Galaxy.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

And I’m boycotting the oscars
    edited January 2019 Posts: 11,139
    Well done and a huge congratulations to Black Panther and it's 7 Oscar nominations. If it wins anything we'll see but it's absolutely deserved, its not my favourite MCU movie but it's one of the best comicbook movies made. And no its not because of its cultural impact that it deserves the award but I honestly believe its a great movie in its own right in the way it explored its main theme of identity. What your identity is, how that can be shaped by your environment, history and background. How well each and every character spoke on that theme throughout the movie where they didn't feel tacked on. But last and most importantly, in the middle of it all how well the two main characters conflict spoke on that main theme. 

Especially in the current climate where identity whether it be national, race, gender seems to be at the forefront of all society issues/conversations, a movie that touched on that between the african/african american diaspora when it comes to race/national identity and did it that well with that end credit scene deserves every award it gets. Killmonger is arguably one of the best written villains in the MCU; pretty much every character had their value to the story and the costume, set production and soundtrack are amongst the best in the MCU if not the best. 

Yes the action could've been better, MUCH better and although I feel the cgi issue is way overblown its still a minor mark on the movie in the third act, but the story, characters and themes and how well they combined is what spoke to me and so many others about the movie so all things considered it couldn't have been a more deserving movie to represent the genre.

Amandla!
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Any Marvel film being nominated for an oscar is insane. Has anyone forgotten what great cinema is? I suppose political and social agendas get their vehicles anywhere they can. I'm all for it. But lets not pretend this is rewarding a great piece of cinema. Did it make cinema history by casting an all black cast? Yes, definitely. Is that wordy of an oscar? Is its cinematography that good? The story? The writing? The acting? No. Is it entertaining? Well, yes, all Marvel films excel in that department. But entertainment and great cinema are not the same thing. Roma, by Cuaron, dances circles around a poor piece of brilliant entertainment like Black Panther. This is all agenda. Nothing else. They've lost their marbles long ago, but this is stretching it to the max. I don't care that you liked Black Panther. Hey, I did too. But saying it's worthy of a nomination by the Academy is ridiculous. The world truly has gone bonkers. And hey, I'd be saying the same thing if Fallout had been nominated. Even A Star is Born is a masterpiece compared with the Marvel flick. It actually is a marvellous film. The favourite is another gem. Roma truly is a masterpiece. But Black Panther is just an agenda move. It was an entertaining decent Marvel film. Now, IMO, it's just an embarrassment to worldwide cinephiles. Said my bit. Now to watch Roma again.
    Black Widow to start production next month, aiming for a May 2020 release.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/01/22/black-widow-mcu-filming-start-date-production/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/01/22/black-widow-mcu-filming-start-date-production/

This is good news.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 11,139
    Univex wrote: »
    Any Marvel film being nominated for an oscar is insane. Has anyone forgotten what great cinema is? I suppose political and social agendas get their vehicles anywhere they can. I'm all for it. But lets not pretend this is rewarding a great piece of cinema. Did it make cinema history by casting an all black cast? Yes, definitely. Is that wordy of an oscar? Is its cinematography that good? The story? The writing? The acting? No. Is it entertaining? Well, yes, all Marvel films excel in that department. But entertainment and great cinema are not the same thing. Roma, by Cuaron, dances circles around a poor piece of brilliant entertainment like Black Panther. This is all agenda. Nothing else. They've lost their marbles long ago, but this is stretching it to the max. I don't care that you liked Black Panther. Hey, I did too. But saying it's worthy of a nomination by the Academy is ridiculous. The world truly has gone bonkers. And hey, I'd be saying the same thing if Fallout had been nominated. Even A Star is Born is a masterpiece compared with the Marvel flick. It actually is a marvellous film. The favourite is another gem. Roma truly is a masterpiece. But Black Panther is just an agenda move. It was an entertaining decent Marvel film. Now, IMO, it's just an embarrassment to worldwide cinephiles. Said my bit. Now to watch Roma again.

First of all, to all the people going on about, “It got a nom because of politics!”, “SJW propaganda!”, “The Dark Knight or Logan should’ve been the first!”, etc. and just being overwhelmingly bothered or raging about Black Panthers best picture Oscar nomination:

rk9938crg7c21.jpg

QuestionableFocusedEarwig-size_restricted.gif

Yeah, Oscar win or lose I'm happy regardless despite the legions of people who apparently still lose sleep over award nominations.

This best picture nomination legitimizes a genre many people love and is practically carrying Hollywood when everyone had/has looks down on it. Maybe one day Bond can actually get a best picture Oscar nomination. We now know it's not entirely beyond the realm of possibility.

Now secondly, thanks for sharing your opinion on what you think is Oscar-worthy art. Arguments can be made the world went mad when Denzel didnt win best actor for Malcolm X or the fact that SF and SP won Oscars for best song. One can say a lot about how the Oscars have played out. Any awards show isn't always going to align with persinal preferences obviously. People will and can think what they like. I saw Roma and as much as i can appreciate it for what it is, it was an ardous and laborious chore to get through. In fact I found it to be a waste if time having sat through it but that's my informed personal opinion. I don't care that you don't care that I liked black panther even if you liked it. That wasnt my point. I've seen so many baseless reasons as to why black panther or certain films or actors isn't worthy of Oscars when such people don't even fully know how the Oscars actually work. Speaking of agendas, Roma typically, because of the film's screening format wouldn't even get a nomination at the Oscars let alone one for best picture and director; but now Tom's in the running? It's not hard to see why that is; but in any case the unfair and nonsensical privelage that the Oscars have been afforded for the better part of forever is finally slowly but surely seeing a correction towards being a lot more reasonable. However, in light of subjective perspectives and in this case regarding black panther, Oscar nominations deserved or not; Oscar win or not, there are some actual facts cemented to consider that no amount of dissapproval or salty tears can take away from. Objectively speaking:

Significant cultural impact
    First film with a predominantly black cast to have a budget of over $100Million
    The 3rd film cowritten and directed by a 32 year old
    $700 mil domestic
    Highest grossing domestic film of 2018
    $1.344 billion WW
    A+ Cinemascore (Very Important testament to audience opinion)

97% RT score
    8.2/10 RT rating
    100% Top Critics RT score
    8.9/10 Top Critics RT Rating
    88 metacritic score

First and only comic book film to get an Oscar best picture nomination
    7 Oscar nominations
    MTV Award winner
    Teen Choice Award Winner
    Peoples Choice Award Winner
    BET Award Winner
    Satellite Award Winner
    Critics Choice Award Winner

Dominated the money (aka the audience), dominated the critics, dominated awards....

Amplified:

Domestic Total: $700,059,566

#1 Super Hero Movie
    #1 MCU Movie
    #3 Movie, only 3rd movie to cross $700 million
    #1 Movie of 2018
    #1 February Release
    4th Fastest to $300 million
    2nd Fastest to $350 million
    2nd Fastest of $400 million
    #30 Movie All-Time Adjusted for Inflation

Worldwide Total: $1,346,913,161

#8 Movie (currently #9) All Time
    #1 Solo Super Hero Movie All Time
    #1 Movie by a Black Director All Time
    #3 MCU movie (currently #4) All Time
    33rd Movie to reach one billion
    #2 Movie in 2018
    #33 Movie All-Time Adjusted for Inflation

Opening Domestic Weekend: $202,003,951

#2 Comic Book Movie (currently #3)
    #5 Movie (currently #6)
    #1 President's Day Weekend
    #1 Movie by a Black Director
    #1 Monday Gross
    #1 Non-Sequel
    #8 Single Day
    #8 Friday
    #4 Saturday
    #2 Sunday

Other Statistics:

Five Weekends at #1 (first movie since Avatar, 4th movie in 20 years)
    #2 Non-Opening Weekend ($111.6 million)
    #2 Non-Opening Saturday
    #2 Ten Day Domestic Total
    #3 Third Weekend Domestic Gross ($66.3 million)
    #3 Fourth Weekend Domestic Gross ($40.8 million)
    #4 Fifth Weekend Domestic Gross ($26.65 million)
    #4 Sixth Weekend Domestic Gross ($16.7 million)
    #7 Seventh Weekend Domestic Gross ($11.263 million)

DVD Sales:

1,495,840 Units Sold
    $26,119,993
    #3 in 2018

Blu-Ray Sales:

2,922,802 Units Sold
    $64,445,224
    #2 in 2018

Critics:

A+ Cinemascore:

2nd Comic Book Movie (Avengers first)
    2nd MCU Movie (Avengers first)

Rotten Tomatoes:

97% Tomatometer
    8.2/10 Average Rating
    100% Top Critics Tomatometer
    8.9/10 Top Critics Average Rating
    #1 ranked movie, action/adventure, scifi/fantasy of all time by adjusted score

Metacritic:

88 Rating
    55 Positive Reviews
    0 Mixed Reviews
    0 Negative Reviews
    #1 (tie) Rated Wide Release of 2018
    #1 Most Shared of 2018

Award Wins:

Critic's Choice Movie Awards:

Best Art Direction
    Best Costume Design
    Best Visual Effects

MTV Movie and TV Awards:

Movie of the Year
    Best Actor- Chadwick Boseman
    Best Hero- Chadwick Boseman
    Best Villain- Michael B. Jordan

BET Awards:

Best Movie
    Best Actor- Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther and Marshall)

People's Choice Awards:

Male Movie Star of the Year- Chadwick Boseman
    Action Movie Star of the Year- Danai Gurira

Teen Choice Awards:

Choice Sci-Fi Movie
    Choice Sci-Fi Movie Actress- Letitia Wright
    Choice Villain- Michael B. Jordan

Golden Tomato Awards:

Best Reviewed Wide Release
    Best Comic Book/Graphic Novel Movie
    Best Movie Wide Release

Satellite Awards:

Auteur Award- Ryan Coogler
    Best Visual Effects

Saturn Awards:

Best Comic-to-Motion Picture Release
    Best Supporting Actress in a Film- Danai Gurira
    Best Film Director
    Best Film Production Design
    Best Film Make Up

American Music Awards:

Favorite Soundtrack

Award Nominations:

Oscar/Academy Awards Nominations: (seven nominations is the highest for a superhero film)

Best Picture (first superhero movie)
    Best Costume Design (first superhero movie)
    Best Original Song
    Best Original Score
    Best Sound Mixing
    Best Sound Editing
    Best Production Design

BET Awards Nominations:

Album of the Year
    Best Actor- Michael B. Jordan
    Best Actress- Angela Bassett
    Best Actress- Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Actress- Letitia Wright

Billboard Music Awards Nomination:

Best Soundtrack

Critic's Choice Movie Award Nominations:

Best Picture
    Best Action Movie
    Best Acting Ensemble
    Best Supporting Actor
    Best Adapted Screenplay
    Best Cinematography
    Best Hair and Make Up
    Best Song
    Best Score

Golden Globe Award Nominations:

Best Motion Picture- Drama
    Best Original Score
    Best Original Song

Grammy Award Nomination:

Album of the Year
    Song of the Year
    Record of the Year
    Best Rap/Sung Performance
    Best Song Written for Visual Media
    Best Rap Performance
    Best Rap Song
    Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media

MTV Movie and TV Award Nominations:

Best Scene Stealer
    Best Fight- Black Panther vs M'baku
    Best On-Screen Team

People's Choice Award Nominations:

Movie of the Year
    Action Movie of the Year
    Action Movie Star of the Year- Chadwick Boseman

Screen Actors Guild Award Nominations:

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
    Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture

Writer's Guild of America Nomination:

Adapted Screenplay

Teen Choice Award Nominations:

Choice Sci-Fi Movie Actor- Chadwick Boseman
    Choice Sci-Fi Movie Actress- Lupita Nyong'o
    Choice Sci-fi Movie Actress- Danai Gurira
    Choice Collaboration
    Choice Break Out
    Choice Lip Lock- Chadwick Boseman and Lupita Nyong'o
    Choice Ship- Chadwick Boseman and Lupita Nyong'o
    Choice R&B/Hip Hop Song

Satellite Award Nominations:

Best Film
    Best Original Song
    Best Cinematography
    Best Costume Design
    Best Art Direction and Production Design
    Best Sound

Saturn Award Nominations:

Best Actor in a Film- Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress in a Film- Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor in a Film- Michael B. Jordan
    Best Performance by a Younger Actor in a Film- Letitia Wright
    Best Film Screenplay
    Best Film Editing
    Best Film Music
    Best Film Costume Designer
    Best Film Special/Visual Effects

Roma was also nominated, though I don't know for what categories, so I think your own personal agenda is a little misguided here.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 6,677
    I have no personal agenda. It's simple, Black Panther is not great cinema. Bond is not great cinema. Comic book adaptations have not been great cinema. Statistics on how the economical driven world works are not markers for what great cinema is. If Bond got nominated for a best film award at the oscars I'd be infuriated. It's not award worthy. None of them were. Action films are made to entertain, not to further advance cinema as an art. Roma is nominated because it rivals any Fellini film on cinematography and camera work alone. It doesn't matter if it has a social agenda, because apart from that, it's a brilliantly made film, by an artist who has proven himself consistently throughout the years.

Listen, I like action flicks as much as the next dude. I'm on Bond forums, aren't I? But I don't have delusions and I am a cinephile and always have been. So I do know what makes for a good film. Damn it, I've studied it intensively throughout my life. I've even have written thesis about the subject. Not that any of that matters.

I knew you guys would react to my opinion like that, but remember, I'm only analysing the film through the cinematic quality of the piece. I don't care about agendas, I care about art. Sure, everything in today's world is subjective - way to decharacterize and censorship informed and valuable opinions! To conclude, I'm in the wrong here, because I shouldn't consider the oscars or any form of prize/award attribution as a marker for good art. It isn't in cinema, it isn't in literature, it isn't in painting, nor in music.

It's all politics, my friends - and I use the term here as is used in politology. All awards are.

So, why am I dishing it out on a Marvel thread? Damn, you're right. I must leave. I do apologise for the intrusion. Not my turf. Wait, maybe I do have a personal agenda. I'm sick of superhero films having this much attention. It's ridiculous. Spielberg said it would be worse than with the Westerns. And he was right. It's a fever, and a low quality one a that. Yeah, so the public wants it. It also wants pop music made on automatic computer generators and sang by made up teen stars or sold out wannabes. And books about vampire teenage love or bdsm acephalic characters.

Again, what am I doing on a superhero thread? You're absolutely right. My renewed apologies. Carry on.

Cherio ;)
    I have no personal agenda. It's simple, Black Panther is not great cinema. Bond is not great cinema. Comic book adaptations have not been great cinema. Statistics on how the economical driven world works are not markers for what great cinema is. If Bond got nominated for a best film award at the oscars I'd be infuriated. It's not award worthy. None of them were. Action films are made to entertain, not to further advance cinema as an art. Roma is nominated because it rivals any Fellini film on cinematography and camera work alone. It doesn't matter if it has a social agenda, because apart from that, it's a brilliantly made film, by an artist who has proven himself consistently throughout the years.

Listen, I like action flicks as much as the next dude. I'm on Bond forums, aren't I? But I don't have delusions and I am a cinephile and always have been. So I do know what makes for a good film. Damn it, I've studied it intensively throughout my life. I've even have written thesis about the subject. Not that any of that matters.

I knew you guys would react to my opinion like that, but remember, I'm only analysing the film through the cinematic quality of the piece. I don't care about agendas, I care about art. Sure, everything in today's world is subjective - way to decharacterize and censorship informed and valuable opinions! To conclude, I'm in the wrong here, because I shouldn't consider the oscars or any form of prize/award attribution as a marker for good art. It isn't in cinema, it isn't in literature, it isn't in painting, nor in music.

It's all politics, my friends - and I use the term here as is used in politology. All awards are.

So, why am I dishing it out on a Marvel thread? Damn, you're right. I must leave. I do apologise for the intrusion. Not my turf. Wait, maybe I do have a personal agenda. I'm sick of superhero films having this much attention. It's ridiculous. Spielberg said it would be worse than with the Westerns. And he was right. It's a fever, and a low quality one a that. Yeah, so the public wants it. It also wants pop music made on automatic computer generators and sang by made up teen stars or sold out wannabes. And books about vampire teenage love or bdsm acephalic characters.

Again, what am I doing on a superhero thread? You're absolutely right. My renewed apologies. Carry on.

Cherio ;)

The real problem is that you're barking up the wrong tree. What makes "great cinema" is a subjective thing, not set in some stone that is now being pissed on. I've seen Oscar winners I've felt extremely undeserving, but I'm not in charge of picking the nominees or the winners.

So while you may consider superhero movies or Bond movies "not great cinema", understand that someone, potentially someone who makes these decisions, disagrees with you, and neither your word nor theirs is invalid. You see this as an agenda, others do not. I see your own statements as an agenda, you do not. Mere differences of opinion and not statements of supreme fact.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,422

This is good news.

I wonder what route they are going to the Black Widow film down? Is it post snap, Nat struggling to adjust being only a spy. I do hope this is going to be thriller-equse and suspenseful like.

I thought something along the lines of a Red Sparrow would work as a origin story.

Any thoughts chaps?

Cherio ;)

The real problem is that you're barking up the wrong tree. What makes "great cinema" is a subjective thing, not set in some stone that is now being pissed on. I've seen Oscar winners I've felt extremely undeserving, but I'm not in charge of picking the nominees or the winners.

So while you may consider superhero movies or Bond movies "not great cinema", understand that someone, potentially someone who makes these decisions, disagrees with you, and neither your word nor theirs is invalid. You see this as an agenda, others do not. I see your own statements as an agenda, you do not. Mere differences of opinion and not statements of supreme fact.

Just one more thing before I leave the thread. Remember when I said this:

Sure, everything in today's world is subjective - way to decharacterize and censorship informed and valuable opinions!

I stand by this. The weapon of the uninformed is the subjectivity card. Sure, globalisation and social networking have widen the range of opinions and given an apparent validity to each and everyone. But let's not fool ourselves. There are still people on the know and people who just opinate because they can. Many of us are the latter (see that I did here, I was nice enough to put us in the same smallish box).

See you in another threads, dear chap. I promise to be even nicer there.

Cheers.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    royale65 wrote: »

This is good news.

I wonder what route they are going to the Black Widow film down? Is it post snap, Nat struggling to adjust being only a spy. I do hope this is going to be thriller-equse and suspenseful like.

I though Red Sparrow would work as a origin story.

Any thoughts chaps?
    I have no idea, but I believe this film is supposed to be partially based on Natasha Romanoff's origins. I share your hopes for a more thriller feel and do think that's what we're likely to get. This is an opportunity for Marvel to once again delve into that genre which they so brilliantly explored at a cursory level with Winter Soldier, but to be more deliberate about it and make it a bit darker. Widow's intro scene, her sharp interrogation of Loki and her capture of Hulk in India in Avengers as well as her flashback in Age of Ultron all come to mind. Given their track record, I'm sure they will give us a killer film next year.
    bondjames wrote: »

This is good news.

I though Red Sparrow would work as a origin story.

Any thoughts chaps?
    I have no idea, but I believe this film is supposed to be partially based on Natasha Romanoff's origins. I share your hopes for a more thriller feel and do think that's what we're likely to get. This is an opportunity for Marvel to once again delve into that genre which they so brilliantly explored at a cursory level with Winter Soldier, but to be more deliberate about it and make it a bit darker. Widow's intro scene, her sharp interrogation of Loki and her capture of Hulk in India in Avengers as well as her flashback in Age of Ultron all come to mind. Given their track record, I'm sure they will give us a killer film next year.

As a massive fan of Winter Solider, I hope that Marvel will double down that "thriller" aspect. No doubt this will be a smaller production, but will it find an audience? After a big, purple alien wiped out half the lifeforms in the Universe, who cares about a Russian spy. (Is the inevitable complaint, one would expect to hear)

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited January 2019 Posts: 1,257
    As a massive fan of Winter Solider, I hope that Marvel will double down that "thriller" aspect.

That would be a perfect route for a Black Widow film. Keeping it a bit more grounded and smaller in scope would be a welcomed contrast to the rest of the MCU too.

I still have my doubts that this film is actually happening though.
    As a massive fan of Winter Solider, I hope that Marvel will double down that "thriller" aspect.

That would be a perfect route for a Black Widow film. Keeping it a bit more grounded and smaller in scope would be a welcomed contrast to the rest of the MCU too.

I still have my doubts that this film is actually happening though.

Agreed that the contrast would be the big draw. Although I wonder how Black Widow will fit in with the rest of Marvel's Phase 4?

This is good news.

I thought something along the lines of a Red Sparrow would work as a origin story.

Any thoughts chaps?
    Isn´t Red Sparrow basically BW´s origin Story?

@boldfinger - I always thought it was.