The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    His cameo in 'Dodgeball' is excellent. It was cool seeing him in 'The Expendables 2,' but I grew real tired of the Chuck Norris 'facts' they threw in there, as I have been for years. It's annoying.

'Classic 80's' sounds fantastic to me. I'll have to give it a watch. Been trying to knock down my Netflix Instant queue as much as I can lately, but it seems like every film I finish and remove, I add another!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    His cameo in 'Dodgeball' is excellent. It was cool seeing him in 'The Expendables 2,' but I grew real tired of the Chuck Norris 'facts' they threw in there, as I have been for years. It's annoying.

'Classic 80's' sounds fantastic to me. I'll have to give it a watch. Been trying to knock down my Netflix Instant queue as much as I can lately, but it seems like every film I finish and remove, I add another!

"Fuckin' Chuck Norris!" :))
    Creasy47 wrote:

"Fuckin' Chuck Norris!" :))

It's rich! The culmination of everything that screw over Stiller's character in the end is summed up in that one line, haha.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Just loved the fact that Chuck, Arnie and Stallone were in the same scene, though i know what you mean.
    White Goodman just aint Chuck Norris :-)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    A Hijacking 2013

Absolutely superb, the Danes put to shame the majority of Hollywood product out there. Those familiar with the Killing and Borgen will recognise the leads. Both Pilou Asbæk & Søren Malling are superb in their respective roles. Director Tobias Lindholm who has written for Borgen and penned the equally quality The Hunt ratchets the tension up to unbearable levels.

I can just imagine what the big budget Greengrass/Hanks effort which will approach similar ground will be like. A Hijacking is about as anti Hollywood as you can get and the forthcoming Hollywood Captain Phillips will have to be utterly incredible to compete with this, one of the best film's of the year.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2013 Posts: 4,446
    Yesterday finaly bought the dvd of Thomas Crown Affair 1999. Already own the soundtrack from Bill Conti and the 1968 movie. For 2004 dvd is bit disapointed the bonus material not have any subtitels or atleast in English. It be situtation like the OHMSS Se dvd from 2001 where that one be only SE dvd where the bonus material are not subtitels where the other 18 have English. But i read the Blu-ray release not have bonus material (I expect it have same disc as American release) and upscaled in my Blu-ray player the dvd looks/sound great.

It be my 10th none Bond movie in my collection with Pierce Brosnan. B-)
    Battlestar Gallactia original series (Not that new piece of ......)
    Just bought Oblivion white box frame with cinema art you can reverse, looks pretty cool. Purchased Star Trek into Darkness on pre order to pick up on Monday. Both on Bluray.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote:
    How is 'Lone Wolf McQuade'?
    I saw it in the theatre way back, and have rented it many times. It's your typical Chuck vehicle, low rent screenplay backed up by Chuck's amazing Thespian talents, but what makes it special is David Carradine as the bad guy... nice end fight.

• Batman Forever on dvd - Still think Val kilmer is the best Bruce Wayne. Reminds me of Brando very aloof and quite detached from what surrounds him.

Superman Returns - on Bluray, still a poor film.

Die Hard 4 - Quite like this movie, on Bluray improves. Certainly when you compare it to the vacuos part five.

Start Trek into darkness - Since i bought it watched it five times. I am a life long trek fan and understand certain misgivings. Though darkness as a stand alone is fast paced and on its own merits a good film.
    @fire_and_ice, did you get the older blu-ray of 'Live Free Or Die Hard,' or did you get the newly released, uncensored version? For the longest time, you could only get the PG-13 blu-ray - which is what I'm currently stuck with - until 'A Good Day To Die Hard' was released and they ended up re-releasing the fourth as an unrated version.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 6,432
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @fire_and_ice, did you get the older blu-ray of 'Live Free Or Die Hard,' or did you get the newly released, uncensored version? For the longest time, you could only get the PG-13 blu-ray - which is what I'm currently stuck with - until 'A Good Day To Die Hard' was released and they ended up re-releasing the fourth as an unrated version.

In England, familiar with what is a far better title for the movie, 4.0. is too mundane. Every version of the film i have seen has been the same. I do quite like the film and would love to see an extended cut. Until you mentioned it was not aware there was one. Would like to see it, under rated film.
    @fire_and_ice, the main differences I've noticed in the two cuts are more blood, more language, and the infamous line is totally intact.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    @fire_and_ice, the main differences I've noticed in the two cuts are more blood, more language, and the infamous line is totally intact.

The Bluray i just bought has plenty of profanijy. Been several years since i watched it, think i may not have noticed it. how it your venture into the world Chuck going mate.
  • Creasy47 wrote:

The Bluray i just bought has plenty of profanijy. Been several years since i watched it, think i may not have noticed it. how is your venture into the world Chuck going mate.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A Resurrection
    Beauty And The Least
    Shadowlands
    The Black Windmill
    Sleuth (2007)
  • A Resurrection
    Beauty And The Least
    Shadowlands
    The Black Windmill
    Sleuth (2007)

How do you think this remake compares to the original?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    How do you think this remake compares to the original?

I have not seen the original, but i'm currently going through a Michael Caine binge. The original Sleuth was recently on tv, and is now in my Sky+ box waiting to be dubbed onto DVD, as is The Holcroft Covenant.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    SaintMark wrote:
    Battlestar Gallactia original series (Not that new piece of ......)

:O What??? The reimaging of Battlestar is possibly my most favorite TV show ever! My cousin made me watch a few episodes of the original and it wasn't very pleasing.

Anyway, the last movie I bought was Star Trek Into Darkness. Didn't get a chance to see it in theaters but went ahead and bought it on Blu-ray anyway, I don't regret it.
    @QsAssistant, I'm guessing that means it looks absolutely fantastic on blu-ray, as expected? I have my copy paid off, but it's way in Baltimore, I'm going up there to visit my girlfriend's family with her this weekend, so I'll pick up my copy of that and 'The Great Gatsby' then.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 1,812
    @Creasy47, It looks fantastic! It really is a great film. I heard a few weeks ago that "Into Darkness" was voted the worst of the Star Trek films among Star Trek fans. I don't see how. While I thought "Star Trek (09')" was a little better, "Into Darkness" isn't even close to being the worst!
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 6,396
    @Creasy47, It looks fantastic! It really is a great film. I heard a few weeks ago that "Into Darkness" was voted the worst of the Star Trek films among Star Trek fans. I don't see how. While I thought "Star Trek (09')" was a little better, "Into Darkness" isn't even close to being the worst!

Trekkies are apparently unhappy that Abrams has altered the timelines so they voted 'Star Trek' and 'Into Darkness' the two worst films of the series. Even Galaxy Quest was voted higher.

Trekkies certainly know how to throw a hissy fit!

Well I, for one, loved it. Granted, I'm ashamed to admit I never watched the older 'Trek' films, but both of Abrams additions to the series were really enjoyable to me.
    The old ones are good but very different from the Abrams films. They are much slower and have very little action.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 40,490
    The old ones are good but very different from the Abrams films. They are much slower and have very little action.

I'd like to try and watch them some time. I've never had a problem with a film that's slower and has little-to-no action, it's just films that solely rely on plot and characters that drag and are incredibly dull are the ones I have a problem with.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DANGER: HISSY FIT EMINENT!

Shatner is Kirk; Nimoy is Spock, here endith the discussion.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 1,812
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'd like to try and watch them some time. I've never had a problem with a film that's slower and has little-to-no action, it's just films that solely rely on plot and characters that drag and are incredibly dull are the ones I have a problem with.

I will say you can skip "Star Trek The Motion Picture", it's a pretty dull film. Any Trek fan will say you must watch "The Wrath of Khan" and you should, but it's highly overrated among fans. "The Search For Spock" isn't rated very high on most fans lists and rightfully so; but you may want to watch it for reasons I don't want to say because of spoilers. "The Voyage Home" is in my top three Trek films because it's the one that's the most out side the box and possibly the funniest. "The Final Frontier" is another one I like but many don't. "The Undiscovered Country" to me was alright and it should've been Shatner's last but he had to go and be a part of "Generations" which isn't that great.

I've heard "The Wrath of Khan" is excellent and a must-see. I always see it around for really cheap, but I'd like to watch it before I buy it.
    "The Wrath of Khan" is great but I was let down when I saw it, possibly because it was built up so much for me over the years. When I finally got around to watching it, it didn't live up to my expectations. Now that I've finally seen it I want to go back and watch it again to see if I'll enjoy it more the second time around.