The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

Creasy47 wrote:
    I have yet to see 'The Fighter,' either, but someone at my college recommended it to me all the time. 'Public Enemies' is great, if you're a fan of Michael Mann, but I feel Bale took a backseat to Depp throughout the movie, as it mostly focuses on John Dillinger.

It looks like Bale will be pretty gritty in that movie of his coming out towards the end of the year, 'Out of the Furnace.' Sounds pretty good so far.

Do like Michael Mann, Heat was brilliant also enjoyed Collateral. Still think Manhunter is the best Lecter movie. Most likely watch Public Enemies tomorrow night. Bale certainly does intense well, be interesting to see what he does post Batman.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Do let me know what you think of it. I really enjoyed 'Public Enemies,' and I'm looking forward to the next Mann film, 'Cyber.' Should be a good one. He hasn't done a feature film in five years.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Do let me know what you think of it. I really enjoyed 'Public Enemies,' and I'm looking forward to the next Mann film, 'Cyber.' Should be a good one. He hasn't done a feature film in five years.

Will do pal, going to watch a matinee of Man of Steel then back to work. Will watch it when i finish work. Not familiar with Cyber, often think its good for a director to have extended breaks between making films, the product can often be a great deal better.
    LIFEFORCE: Collector's Edition (blu-ray)
    WONDER WOMEN (dvd)
    AGUIRRE, THE WRATH OF GOD (dvd)

Coming next week, on blu-ray...
    EVIL DEAD (2013)
    SOLOMON KANE
    I picked up 'Alien Anthology' as a Gold Box deal for only $20 on blu-ray on Amazon a few days ago, and I also bought 'Blade Runner: 30th Anniversary Edition' blu-ray booklet for only $15 on sale.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Just traded in four old blu-rays and in exchange, I paid off my blu-ray copies of 'Oblivion' and 'The Great Gatsby.'

I can't wait for "Oblivion" to come out on Blu-ray! It was such a great sci-fi film!

Creasy47 wrote:
    Just traded in four old blu-rays and in exchange, I paid off my blu-ray copies of 'Oblivion' and 'The Great Gatsby.'

I can't wait for "Oblivion" to come out on Blu-ray! It was such a great sci-fi film!

That it was! I cannot wait to see how the world and events unfold in beautiful blu-ray quality, either.
    @thelivingroyale, very nice! Should be an excellent read at 290 pages.

Now that I'm looking into it, found a Making of Goldeneye book for about $5. I may have to order it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I was hoping you would, being such a die-hard TLD fan. I hope you enjoy it with great relish, as I have heard great things about it! :)

Both this one and the other about OHMSS seems to be genuine jewels. I don't owe them mostly because of the high price but I'll look forward to buy them.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    0013 wrote:

Both this one and the other about OHMSS seems to be genuine jewels. I don't owe them mostly because of the high price but I'll look forward to buy them.

Unfortunately I think I heard the writer isn't making any more because he only wanted to write these books for TLD and OHMMS because they are his favorite films in the series. Don't quote me on that, though.
    Papillon (1973) Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman

A Night to Remember (1950s) - much better than the awful crap hyperbole 'Titanic' from James Cameron

For a Few Dollars More (1965) The second in the dollars trilogy with Clint Eastwood
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 7,653
    Papillon (1973) Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman

What an excellent movie, a great prison break movie.

A Night to Remember (1950s) - much better than the awful crap hyperbole 'Titanic' from James Cameron

Different from Camerons movie surely, but it is a decent enough movie often seen on TCM.

For a Few Dollars More (1965) The second in the dollars trilogy with Clint Eastwood
    An excellent choice but I hope you have the other two as well, even if the movies were never meant as a trilogy, which is a modern thing. Leone wanted Eastwood as well in Once upon a time in the West, but he wasn't interested so hence the role went to Bronson.[/quote]

great choices for new movies to add to your collection.
    So as I'm getting through (and actually enjoying) the 'Harry Potter' films, I took advantage of a deal at a local MovieStop yesterday, and spent $34 and picked up the final four HP films on blu-ray, and I also got 'Commando' on blu-ray with that.

Does anyone have a bad case of buying films on DVD/blu-ray and accumulating a bigger stack without watching them? I've bought so many films I love these past few months, and I always plan on saving them for a huge movie week, but I never seem to get to them. I'm really proud of my collection, though. I feel like the excitement is more in obtaining them through really good deals.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Does anyone have a bad case of buying films on DVD/blu-ray and accumulating a bigger stack without watching them?
    I'm more like that with books- I tend to watch DVD purchases really fast, but I have a pile of books to read that grows a bit faster than I can read them. Same idea, different medium.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 17,291
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Does anyone have a bad case of buying films on DVD/blu-ray and accumulating a bigger stack without watching them?
    I'm more like that with books- I tend to watch DVD purchases really fast, but I have a pile of books to read that grows a bit faster than I can read them. Same idea, different medium.

I have the same problem with both books and DVDs! I really have to get through some of them soon.
    @Creasy47 Does anyone have a bad case of
    buying films on DVD/blu-ray and
    accumulating a bigger stack
    without watching them?

Have a bad habit of doing that, still not got round to watching Public Enemies, Munich, Tinker tailor soldier spy, The grey and probably quite a few other films i bought over the last year. Got that many films i have bought the same movie twice on occasion not realising i already have it.
    @fire_and_ice, three of those four you listed are absolutely amazing, but I can't blame you because I'm in the same predicament. Just went out again and bought 'Dead Man Down' on blu-ray for only $8. Deals, deals, deals.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @fire_and_ice, three of those four you listed are absolutely amazing, but I can't blame you because I'm in the same predicament. Just went out again and bought 'Dead Man Down' on blu-ray for only $8. Deals, deals, deals.

I must buy a movie a day, collect antiques so always in charity shops and often see movies cheap, so the list of films i need to watch just pile up. Guessing Grey is the film out of the four that is not one of the amazing films, i watched first 30mins of The Grey but at the time could not get into it.
    @fire_and_ice, that's it! I allowed my friend to tell me the ending of the film because he told me he knew I would be disappointed, and I agreed. I gave it five minutes one time and just moved on to other things.

And I know how you feel. Anytime I'm out (or even online...thanks, Amazon) and I see deals I can't pass up, I have to get them.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @fire_and_ice, that's it! I allowed my friend to tell me the ending of the film because he told me he knew I would be disappointed, and I agreed. I gave it five minutes one time and just moved on to other things.

And I know how you feel. Anytime I'm out (or even online...thanks, Amazon) and I see deals I can't pass up, I have to get them.

I am in a bluray box set phase at present, look great on display also. Bond50 being the center piece of course :-) Wanting to get hold of The lord of the rings trilogy next, still not seen it on bluray. When it first came out was £60 in HMV should be able to get it online much cheaper now. Usually when i see a bargain i can't help but buy it lol
    edited July 2013 Posts: 40,473
    @fire_and_ice, same. I was going to go with LOTR as a blu-ray box set, but I got good deals on all the separate films on steelbook. Recently got the 'Indiana Jones' and 'Alien' films box set blu-rays. Now my hungry eye is checking out the possibility of getting 'Marathon Man' when it releases in September on blu-ray. Great film. Also in a Schwarzenegger phase right now, and want to impulse buy 'Raw Deal' because everyone says it's a lot like his other great 80's films, yet I can't rent it on Netflix.

I'm with you there: good bargains are hard to pass up. Hell, if you're in a blu-ray box set mood right now, go on Amazon. Their Lightning Gold Box Deal of the Day is 'The Matrix Collection' on blu-ray for only $25.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Also in a Schwarzenegger phase right now, and want to impulse buy 'Raw Deal' because everyone says it's a lot like his other great 80's films, yet I can't rent it on Netflix.
    IMO, it's one of his lesser ones, much like Red Heat. That said, still a hoot!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @fire_and_ice, same. I was going to go with LOTR as a blu-ray box set, but I got good deals on all the separate films on steelbook. Recently got the 'Indiana Jones' and 'Alien' films box set blu-rays. Now my hungry eye is checking out the possibility of getting 'Marathon Man' when it releases in September on blu-ray. Great film. Also in a Schwarzenegger phase right now, and want to impulse buy 'Raw Deal' because everyone says it's a lot like his other great 80's films, yet I can't rent it on Netflix.

I'm with you there: good bargains are hard to pass up. Hell, if you're in a blu-ray box set mood right now, go on Amazon. Their Lightning Gold Box Deal of the Day is 'The Matrix Collection' on blu-ray for only $25.

Have the Indy box set and Matrix and all six Star wars box set as well as Dark knight Trilogy Box set on Bluray. Got Indy half price when i bought Star wars nice looking sets. Marathon man great movie, the 'is it safe' scene always gets me. Will definitely get that on bluray be interested to see how well it cleans up. Love Arnie Predator, Total Recall and Conan the Barbarian great movies. Running man always worth a look if you have not seen it, quite a relevant film now certainly with regards to reality tv. Pumping iron documentary is good for a laugh, and Cactus Jack has to be seen to be believed shocking film though worth one viewing.
    @chrisisall, is 'Red Heat' worth $5 on blu-ray? I continuously see it at a store and think it's a great deal, though I've never seen it.

@fire_and_ice, I've seen a good bit of those. I got the 'Alien Anthology' the other day on blu-ray for $20 thanks to the Gold Box Deal. Finally found an online version of 'Raw Deal,' so if I like it, I'll get it and pre-order 'Marathon Man' on Amazon and get free shipping.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @chrisisall, is 'Red Heat' worth $5 on blu-ray? I continuously see it at a store and think it's a great deal, though I've never seen it.

@fire_and_ice, I've seen a good bit of those. I got the 'Alien Anthology' the other day on blu-ray for $20 thanks to the Gold Box Deal. Finally found an online version of 'Raw Deal,' so if I like it, I'll get it and pre-order 'Marathon Man' on Amazon and get free shipping.

Got the first Alien on bluray in fact first bluray i bought, looks fantastic in that format. Noticed there are two Alien box sets i keep meaning to look into which is the better one. Raw deal is pretty good alot more gritty than his other movies, give Red Sonja a miss if you come across it. Recently watched Last Stand unfortunately just made me want to watch his earlier movies. Will look out for Marathon man thanks pal.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It's kind of a more humorous re-make of 48 Hrs. (same director) but fairly cool, from that 80's cheese POV. $5 on BR? I say yes.
    @chrisisall, thanks for that.

@fire_and_ice, I'm barely five minutes into 'Raw Deal' and I love it. Real gritty. Yeah, I bought both 'Alien' and 'Aliens' on blu-ray, but I figured I could just get the boxset on sale for $20, so I think I'm going to trade them both in - alongside 'The Matrix' steelbook and 'The Matrix Reloaded' - in a few weeks and get some credit to get 'The Matrix' boxset. I'm real picky about my cases and whatnot, and don't like the idea of two films being in only one normal blu-ray case, ala 'The Matrix: Reloaded' and 'The Matrix: Revolutions.'

@Creasy47 Me too like to get the best versions of movies, bought the 11 disk Harry Potter set, not the best looking set. Card box unfortunately, saw the Book version after though was not cheap to be fare. Think Matrix cost me £10 Noticed some Bluray prices have dropped quite a bit. Anyway late in England best get some sleep, going to listen to Octopussy commentary. Yeah Arnie kicks ass in Raw Deal, Robert Davi is in it too if i remember rightly, been years since i saw it.