The MI6 Community Username Origins Thread

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @ClarkDevlin
    The Tuxedo is one of my favourite Chan movies. Jennifer Love Hewitt is a favourite of mine. I fell in love with her in 1997 (I Know What You Did Last Summer).
    I went through 5 seasons of Ghost Whisperer just for her ;)
    Same here, @BondJasonBond006! :D Well, no argument there, ol' chap! Jenny is an outstanding specimen. ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @ClarkDevlin
    The Tuxedo is one of my favourite Chan movies. Jennifer Love Hewitt is a favourite of mine. I fell in love with her in 1997 (I Know What You Did Last Summer).

You mean Jennifer Love Hewitt-Smythe. I'm a stickler for accuracy in situations like these. ;)
    @ClarkDevlin

You mean Jennifer Love Hewitt-Smythe. I'm a stickler for accuracy in situations like these. ;)
    Major, we know after the British helped you fake your death you went on to become Drummond later on. Should the last name be Hewitt-Drummond? ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @ClarkDevlin

Major, we know after the British helped you fake your death you went on to become Drummond later on. Should the last name be Hewitt-Drummond? ;)

That's all section 26, paragraph 5, i'm sure you understand.
    @ClarkDevlin

That's all section 26, paragraph 5, i'm sure you understand.
    Need to know basis. ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I love secret basis , especially when they explode at the end of the film. :P :D
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    My name is an amalgam of a weather phenomenon and a body part.

Thunder is the roaring sound that accompanies lightning, and fingers are those things that stick out from your hands.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    stag wrote: »
    Stag - The Triumph from DAF.

I always thought you were named after the statue outside the Skyfall grounds.

@Mendes4Lyfe I watched DAF the evening before joining another forum, I tried a few usernames but they were all taken so settled on Franks car. I just ported it over to MI6 when I registered.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    My name is my favourite character from the 'Hap & Leonard' book series by Joe R Lansdale.

Not very Bondian I must admit....
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    My name is an amalgam of a weather phenomenon and a body part.

Thunder is the roaring sound that accompanies lightning, and fingers are those things that stick out from your hands.

Thank you for explaining your username. I've often wondered what it meant or referred to.
    What is a pol, by the way?
    What is a pol, by the way?

Well, Dragonpol means DragonHead according to the creator John Gardner in Never Send Flowers (1993). I have an interesting theory on how the name Dragonpol really came about though that I will explore in an upcoming blog post.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I could tell you ....... but then I'd have to kill you ! ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    No worries, @DarthDimi. I made the mistake of not searching for a pre-existing thread, so it's my fault.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The other thread has been dead over 4 years, like SF :P

So what does it matter if a new one gets opened after all this time.

@Thunderpussy you of course have the most fabulous of all usernames!
    I should have called myself @Dickgalore or @TheManWithTheMoonraker :P
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2016 Posts: 7,969
    @Thunderpussy love the new icon. I'm a Beatles fan too.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,449
    True, but then we should agree to delete the old one and I'm sure many members won't like that either. Besides, a thread stays dead until the next post is made. Then it's alive and kicking once again. :)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 10,586
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    True, but then we should agree to delete the old one and I'm sure many members won't like that either. Besides, a thread stays dead until the next post is made. Then it's alive and kicking once again. :)
    Your call. I'm thrilled with the amount of attention and fun discussion this thread has received thus far. But I don't see a sense in keeping it open if it's just repetition.
  • Can this thread be added to the old thread? Merged over or whatever? Or is that needlessly complicated?
    It has been done before, and is probably the best solution.
    If anything the old one should be locked. Why lock this one and refer to the other, then the new stuff will just be gone and get buried. Illogical.
  • My username is based on a line in Goldfinger (the movie, not the novel.) Jill Masterson asks Bond "Why bother?" getting a new,colder bottle of champagne when the one they're drinking is no longer at the correct temperature. Bond replies that some things just aren't done and that drinking the champagne once it is warmer than the proper temperature "would be like listening to the Beatles without earmuffs." When I first heard the line in the theater circa 1966, I wondered if this line implied that Bond disliked the Beatles, and suffered a brief crisis of dueling allegiances. Upon joining this forum I originally tried registering my user name as "BeatlesWithoutEarmuffs" but that exceeds the character limit imposed by Those Who Set The Rules. So I substituted a briefer version of the word "without" and the character limit was satisfied. Now as before, my response to anyone who objects to anything I've posted on this forum: some things just aren't done. Don't go listening to BeatlesSansEarmuffs.
    I like that line, it's one of the rare occasions when in a Bond film pop culture gets mentioned. Not sure if it's even done again.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Clark Devlin is the name of the secret agent in the 2002 Jackie Chan movie, The Tuxedo, played by Jason Isaacs, who is the spitting image of Fleming's depiction of the James Bond character. Clearly a Bond rip-off and nothing else.

The film is in the medium of comedy with typical Jackie Chan humour, and even though Jason Isaacs doesn't have much screen-time in it, he owns every scene he's in that makes the escapist Bond fan like me crave to see him in the role of the actual James Bond in his super-spy mode.

It's harmless fun, but Jason adds a special something to the affair. I SO wanted to see him as Bond after that!
    I like that line, it's one of the rare occasions when in a Bond film pop culture gets mentioned. Not sure if it's even done again.

Mickey Mouse.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Clark Devlin is the name of the secret agent in the 2002 Jackie Chan movie, The Tuxedo, played by Jason Isaacs, who is the spitting image of Fleming's depiction of the James Bond character. Clearly a Bond rip-off and nothing else.

The film is in the medium of comedy with typical Jackie Chan humour, and even though Jason Isaacs doesn't have much screen-time in it, he owns every scene he's in that makes the escapist Bond fan like me crave to see him in the role of the actual James Bond in his super-spy mode.

It's harmless fun, but Jason adds a special something to the affair. I SO wanted to see him as Bond after that!
    Too true, Chris. Too true!
  • I like that line, it's one of the rare occasions when in a Bond film pop culture gets mentioned. Not sure if it's even done again.

Mickey Mouse.

Superman.

Mickey Mouse.

Superman.

Dick Tracy (AVTAK).