Do you believe in ghosts?

2456731

Comments

  • edited October 2016 Posts: 382
    ok fine, ghosts exist I believe. There all haunting Scooby doo mansions because you know, ghosts have good taste. They're immune to CCTV, any kind of detection in fact, except personal anecdote.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 4,498
    Humans are useless at interpretting the real World. Countless times, human witnesses have been found wanting within criminal investigations with forensic evidence much more reliable that human testimony. I could and have been to church meetings where I have met many many people who say that God exists and they have had direct experiences (not one shred of further evidence offered), should I trust them and be convinced? or ask for more evidence? I could meet people who have been abducted by aliens, I could meet people who have met Elvis (since he "died"), I could meet people who have seen Nessie and I could meet people who have been cured by preachers? What kind of person would I be if I just accepted their word? Where would science be if we just accepted people's word rather than ask for a higher level of proof? We seek and insist on proper scientific evience in all other areas of our lives ("is this aircraft safe? Well, that guy over there says so") so there is no reason to give ghosts, nessie or alien abductions a lower thresh hold.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I get sleep paralysis or 'Old Hag Syndrome' frequently (about every 2 months)..basically your conscious returns and you wake up,but your body is still under,so you cant move...also because your mind is only semi conscious your subconscious throws all sorts of things at you : I have had witches,a creature walking across the ceiling,screams and evil laughter,my bedroom door opening and something standing there,something sitting on my chest looking at me,something getting in be next to me but obviously I cant move my head to look at it,i'm naturally paralyzed in real life at that moment in time.

    I have had it since I was a child and it used to scare the hell out of me,but now what I do is force myself to laugh at it in my mind and I snap out of it.
    The only problem is you have to make sure then that you are fully awake,because if u drift off,it just starts all over again.
    My record in one night is 7 times,and that was a few weeks ago on 19Sept.

    If you want to learn more about it there is a great piece on it on WIKI,under 'Old Hag Syndrome'...it shows how it affected people in the past and the supersticious stigma it got,i.e possession by a demon etc...

    I get that too, also since childhood, it's horrible when you can't even breathe.

    I also suffer from sleep paralysis, as well as sleep apnea. Started around the time I was in college. No idea why it started then as I'm perfectly healthy otherwise—long distance running, swimming, never smoked, etc. I've never experienced visions of any kind, but my paralysis is always accompanied by an inability to breathe. It's the most terrifying thing in the world, being conscious while you're suffocating and yet incapable of moving your limbs or even opening your eyes (I think my eyes were only open once during this experience). It's like you're sucking air through a straw until you finally snap out of it. Just horrible. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. I have sought medical treatment and was diagnosed with sleep apnea and provided a cpap machine, but I often find the machine cumbersome to fall asleep with and it's really just not practical all the time. I go through periods with it.

    More to the topic, a few times during this paralysis/breathing obstruction, I have also experienced a deeply ominous feeling, a kind of terror beyond the terror of suffocating, some sort of terrible, I suppose what you might describe as purely evil, presence all around and within me, and when I wake up my heart is thundering and my pulse is racing and I'm drenched with sweat and feel deeply unsettled. If malevolent paranormal beings really did exist, surely that's what their presence would feel like. But I don't believe in ghosts. I believe all those sensations I have experienced are simply physiological side effects of the extreme sleep-disruption going on. I really wish I knew more about what's actually happening inside me, but the literature and general knowledge out there on the topic are woefully meager. Doctors themselves, even the specialists, seem pretty clueless as to what's up. Funny to think in a hundred years there might really be simple explanations and cures for all sleep-related ailments. I mean, just a couple hundred years ago we had paintings of demons and succubi sitting on people's chests while they sleep.
  • Posts: 9,155
    I am sorry can you link me an article where it says scientist don't believe in ghosts?

    because here is one of several links that says scientists who are quite brilliant actually are open to paranormal and some believe it

    https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/brilliant-scientists-are-open-minded-about-paranormal-stuff-so-why-not-you/
  • I've repented mate. See my edited post
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger @!#¤%^§
    edited October 2016 Posts: 43,614
    ok fine, ghosts exist I believe. There all haunting Scooby doo mansions because you know, ghosts have good taste. They're immune to CCTV, any kind of detection in fact, except personal anecdote.

    Because all those who do aren t considered reputable by yourself anymore.
  • Posts: 4,498
    I know two people who genuinely beleive in unicorns, so perhaps they do exist?
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 382
    @thunderfinger good quoting there..? I recognised my circular argument and changed it. Why I am not surprised you believe in ghosts along with all your other crackpot conspiracy theories you post and present as 'good journalism'.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger @!#¤%^§
    Posts: 43,614
    I've repented mate. See my edited post

    I see you edited it just as I quoted you. Makes my reply seem insane.
  • Posts: 9,155
    patb wrote: »
    Humans are useless at interpretting the real World. Countless times, human witnesses have been found wanting within criminal investigations with forensic evidence much more reliable that human testimony. I could and have been to church meetings where I have met many many people who say that God exists and they have had direct experiences (not one shred of further evidence offered), should I trust them and be convinced? or ask for more evidence? I could meet people who have been abducted by aliens, I could meet people who have met Elvis (since he "died"), I could meet people who have seen Nessie and I could meet people who have been cured by preachers? What kind of person would I be if I just accepted their word? Where would science be if we just accepted people's word rather than ask for a higher level of proof? We seek and insist on proper scientific evience in all other areas of our lives ("is this aircraft safe? Well, that guy over there says so") so there is no reason to give ghosts, nessie or alien abductions a lower thresh hold.
    but again your failing to ignore my point looking at the scientific method you did background research (or so you claim) fantastic your on to construct a hypothesis and develop an experiment which should be obvious

    go to place locally or internationally and record your experiences...

    Congrats yes with the scientific method we can all be less douche and learn more about the world around us.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger @!#¤%^§
    Posts: 43,614
    @thunderfinger good quoting there..? I recognised my circular argument and changed it. Why I am not surprised you believe in ghosts along with all your other crackpot conspiracy theories you post and present as 'good journalism'.

    Same back at you.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Posts: 595
    I thought I once saw the ghost of a unicorn but it was a white horse eating an ice cream incorrectly.
  • Posts: 11,001
    Kind of. I believe in spirits; I could swear I have felt evil presence around me on a couple occasions. A couple bizarre things have occurred as well that I can't really explain. Sure, it's not scientifically reasonable, but I am a little superstitious. I can totally respect believing or not believing in ghosts/spirits or whatever. Everyone's personal experience is different.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,578
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Kind of. I believe in spirits; I could swear I have felt evil presence around me on a couple occasions. A couple bizarre things have occurred as well that I can't really explain. Sure, it's not scientifically reasonable, but I am a little superstitious. I can totally respect believing or not believing in ghosts/spirits or whatever. Everyone's personal experience is different.
    Agreed.
  • Don't people realise that the greatest evil in this world at the moment is caused by adults believing in infantile s***?
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 4,498
    I dont have to become a ghost researcher to come to a conclusion in the same way I dont have to be an aerospace engineer to decide if an aircraft is safe to fly. We delegate the research to experts. There are hundreds of thousands of people who not only believe in ghosts but actively stay at "haunted locations" etc in order to capture evidence. I am more than happy to leave the job to them. I'm not going to camp by the side of Loch Ness and Im not going to live in a camper van on the edge of Area 51 etc etc. This is a classic tactic and its best to nip it in the bud. If people state that something (extraordinary) exits, then the onus is on them to justify the claim with evidence that stands up to scrutiy. Its not the role of the non believer to start hunting for the own source of evidence.
  • Posts: 9,155
    Don't people realise that the greatest evil in this world at the moment is caused by adults believing in infantile s***?
    ah yes and what do you believe in preservation of capital?
  • patb wrote: »
    I dont have to become a ghost researcher to come to a conclusion in the same way I dont have to be an aerospace engineer to decide if an aircraft is safe to fly. We delegate the research to experts. There are hundreds of thousands of people who not only believe in ghosts but actively stay at "haunted locations" etc in order to capture evidence. I am more than happy to leave the job to them. I'm not going to camp by the side of Loch Ness and Im not going to live in a camper van on the edge of Area 51 etc etc. This is a classic tactic and its best to nip it in the bud. If people state that something (extraordinary) exits, then the onus is on them to justify the claim with evidence that stands up to scrutiy. Its not the role of the non believer to start hunting for the own source of evidence.

    exactly. Nothing more to add to that
  • The Yeti is real too!!!
  • Posts: 4,498
    I have not been to look personally so could not possibly comment.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2016 Posts: 15,410
    Let's be honest, we could rename this thread 'Are you a particularly credulous young child?'

    And of course you're the biggest child here. You should be asleep. It's past your bedtime. I just hope that I didn't give you nightmares.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 19,339
    @birdleson @Some_Kind_Of_Hero I have ordered a DVD from Amazon called 'Nightmare',which is a 90 minute documentary where 8 people who have suffered from Sleep Paralysis talk about it and have the moments re-created ..it was on at the Cannes Film Festival last year i think..it ws made last year in 2015.
    If you look at the reviews all the people who suffer from it give mainly a 5/5 rating ,while people who are sceptical (ignorant) give it 1/5 saying things like it wasnt scary.

    These idiots dont realise it is a medical condition and a proven scientific fact.

    Im just letting you know in case you fancy getting a copy,at least they have put this on the map by doing this.

    Shame its taken until im 46, when i started experiencing it all when i was 8,but like i say,i usually 9/10 overpower the terror by laughing at it in my mind,by ridiculing it..just dont fall back to sleep straight away or it can come back,best to read or watch a comedy for about 15mins.
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    Let's be honest, we could rename this thread 'Are you a particularly credulous young child?'

    And of course you're the biggest child here. You should be asleep. It's past your bedtime. I just hope that I didn't give you nightmares.

    Maybe I'm dreaming someone has posted this tripe, verging on spam, on a Bond forum.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger @!#¤%^§
    Posts: 43,614
    I have had sleep paralysis a couple of times,years ago. You feel helpless, pretty scary.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 15,410
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Let's be honest, we could rename this thread 'Are you a particularly credulous young child?'

    And of course you're the biggest child here. You should be asleep. It's past your bedtime. I just hope that I didn't give you nightmares.

    Maybe I'm dreaming someone has posted this tripe, verging on spam, on a Bond forum.

    Oh, it's no spam. That I leave to you and your every post/topic. We've seen you do this in previous lives too of course. It's become rather tiresome to be honest.
  • Posts: 19,339
    Have a look at my last post TF ..there is a DVD that is out now.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger @!#¤%^§
    Posts: 43,614
    I noticed.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited October 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Don't people realise that the greatest evil in this world at the moment is caused by adults believing in infantile s***?

    Well f**king said.

    When I was a kid I used to have an old couple live next to us and the old man died. About 3 months later I kicked my ball into their garden. I shinned over the fence to get it and when I looked up I swear he was in the window watching me. It spooked me out at the time but of course later I rationalised it as a child's fertile mind combining the fact that I was doing something slightly naughty (climbing over his fence for which he used to bollock us) and the natural scariness of anything to do with death.

    I certainly didn't think a more credible explanation was that he had come back from the afterlife to scowl at me.

    This sort of thing is great fun for kids but to still be believing in such things as ghosts, tooth fairy, the Loch Ness Monster and God once you get past 13 is pretty tragic.

    Has there ever even been a case in history where loads of people had believed in something without the slightest shred of evidence and society had laughed at them for years only for the evidence finally come to light and vindicate them?

    Stuff like black holes sound ridiculous but after scientists work at it for long enough they come up with enough evidence to prove their existence yet with things such as ghosts people have been looking at them for centuries yet we are no better off than when we started. All we have is anecdotal evidence from people who say they saw something. And in their heads maybe they did - the mind is a febrile and vibrant place - but seeing something in your subconscious or the mind playing tricks on you is certainly not the same as it actually existing.
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Let's be honest, we could rename this thread 'Are you a particularly credulous young child?'

    And of course you're the biggest child here. You should be asleep. It's past your bedtime. I just hope that I didn't give you nightmares.

    Maybe I'm dreaming someone has posted this tripe, verging on spam, on a Bond forum.

    Oh, it's no spam. That I leave to you and your every post/topic. We've seen you do this in previous lives too of course. It's become rather tiresome to be honest.

    Some advice. I've heard if you leave the bedroom light on the ghosts won't come.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 15,410
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Let's be honest, we could rename this thread 'Are you a particularly credulous young child?'

    And of course you're the biggest child here. You should be asleep. It's past your bedtime. I just hope that I didn't give you nightmares.

    Maybe I'm dreaming someone has posted this tripe, verging on spam, on a Bond forum.

    Oh, it's no spam. That I leave to you and your every post/topic. We've seen you do this in previous lives too of course. It's become rather tiresome to be honest.

    Some advice. I've heard if you leave the bedroom light on the ghosts won't come.

    Some advice. Stop trolling every thread.
Sign In or Register to comment.