The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, and Hustle. The cast of Hustle said in an interview they had to pinch
    Themselves sometimes, working with him as he was the last of the
    Magnificent Seven.
    In the late 1990s, a television producer named Douglas Benton did an interview. It was mostly about the 1960-62 series anthology series Thriller hosted by Boris Karloff. There were a number of actors on their way up: Vaughn, William Shanter, Mary Tyler Moore and others.

Anyway, in that interview (which is re-created as a commentary track on the Thriller DVD set), Benton was asked about his opinion of said actors. He was most complimentary of Vaughn, saying if he hadn't become a successful actor, he'd probably have been a college professor.

In the late 1960s, Vaughn took on William F. Buckley Jr. on the latter's Firing Line show about the Vietnam War. My understanding is it was declared a tie, a rarity for Firing Line.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I almost forgot he was the Boss of the A-Team in its last series.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I almost forgot he was the Boss of the A-Team in its last series.

Which included an episode called The Say UNCLE Affair. Details here:

https://uncleepisodeguide.wordpress.com/u-n-c-l-e-wannabes/
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    In the late 1960s, Vaughn took on William F. Buckley Jr. on the latter's Firing Line show about the Vietnam War. My understanding is it was declared a tie, a rarity for Firing Line.
    LOL, back then a 'tie' meant that Buckley got schooled. Well done, Mr. Solo.
    Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer arrive back in Rome. East European Comic Con starts very soon which will mark the start of the official publicity tour for promoting "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.". From here on out it should get interesting. Perhaps the new trailer will hit soon.
    There was a press screening on Saturday in Rome. About 20 minutes of footage shown.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/09/u-n-c-l-e-press-event-in-rome-includes-screening/
    The cast and director make an appearance.

I have a feeling "The Man From U.N.C.L.E" will be a surprise hit, similar to "Kingsman: The Secret Service". Perhaps another +400 Million Dollar spy film ;-)?

I have a feeling "The Man From U.N.C.L.E" will be a surprise hit, similar to "Kingsman: The Secret Service". Perhaps another +400 Million Dollar spy film ;-)?

If it does that well, I'd think a sequel would be likely.
    UNCLE awakes: The Rip Van Winkle Affair

http://bit.ly/1cBDSXN
    delfloria wrote: »

SOLD OUT IN 60 SECONDS!
    More new never-before-released photos from U.N.C.L.E. now at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/369560823208688/
    looking very much like Solo and Illya. Empire magazine has a some cool coverage coming up. [img][/img]UNCLE%20poster%203%20_zps0fhs18yq.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My anticipation for this movie got even higher.
    "a movie that promises to bring the fun back to the spy game": Kingsman was promoted along the same credo, so apparently all new rival potential franchises try to capitalise on their anti-serious Bond status
    nikos78 wrote: »
    "a movie that promises to bring the fun back to the spy game": Kingsman was promoted along the same credo, so apparently all new rival potential franchises try to capitalise on their anti-serious Bond status

Yep, that's the name of the game. I remember when The Bourne Identity was hailed as the serious alternative to the silly Bond series, which had Die another day out that year. Funny how that works.

BTW there should be a new trailer this week with San Andreas
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    nikos78 wrote: »

Yep, that's the name of the game. I remember when The Bourne Identity was hailed as the serious alternative to the silly Bond series, which had Die another day out that year. Funny how that works.

BTW there should be a new trailer this week with San Andreas

good point ;)

The new UNCLE film, unlike KINGSMAN is a serious thriller with humor.
    looking very much like Solo and Illya. Empire magazine has a some cool coverage coming up. [img][/img]UNCLE%20poster%203%20_zps0fhs18yq.jpg

Indeed it has @delfloria, and here is a sample of the feature in Empire magazine that explains how this UNCLE movie isn't really like the TV show. Make of it what you will...
    “I’ll be honest,” says Guy Ritchie, in what is not the typical party line on an adaptation, “I’m not really a fan of the show.” He says this terribly cheerfully. “It’s like ’60s Bond,” says Ritchie. “I liked all the ’60s iconography of it. That made it palatable for me. I think the best Bond movies were made in the ’60s. I suppose I wanted to make a spy movie of sorts… It was the first thing since Sherlock to which I’ve had a visceral reaction.”
    “There were only a few requisites I needed from the TV show: you have a Russian and an American; the Russian is blond and the American is dark. And then you have global stakes. Once you’ve ticked those boxes, then there’s no more [baggage].” So that’s all he’s keeping. “Just as I did with Sherlock, I felt I could reinvent this.”

A sampling of footage suggests a tone that is chummily winking at its audience, either to let it know it’s enjoying the joke or to tempt it into bed. It’s a bit silly and very sexy. And everyone is preposterously good-looking.

Fortunately, Lionel Wigram, the film’s producer and Ritchie’s co-writer, is more than happy to share details. “This is an origin story,” he says. “There is no U.N.C.L.E. until the end of this movie… And we’re not using T.H.R.U.S.H. because I don’t think you can say that with a straight face these days.” Instead, the bad guys will be a network of ex-Nazis who have spread across the world after the war.
    I love the original series but it's better that they make it their own than try and carbon copy the original show, which most of today's audience does not remember.
    Who knew 007 and Napoleo[img][/img]Solo%20and%20007%20in%20black%20_zps6cuy1jsl.jpgn shred the same tailor.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited May 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Wow. It's amazing that the costume designers were thinking along the same lines. Just goes to show the style of the 60s was and will forever be classic.
    The turtleneck look is often a good one for spies.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/03/17/evolution-of-the-spy-turtleneck/
    "According to those making it, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. 2015 is not a revamp that’s desperate to pull in a loyal audience clamoring to see their favourite show on a bigger screen; it’s an opportunity to take the best bits of a great idea and throw out all the parts that look a bit rusty. Richie and his team aim to rescue the spy-movie genre from dark introspection and take it back to the days when car chases were fun, you changed your suit every five minutes to the baddies had something new and eye-catching to shoot at, and having sex with someone didn’t mean at least one of you got killed off two scenes later."
    "According to those making it, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. 2015 is not a revamp that’s desperate to pull in a loyal audience clamoring to see their favourite show on a bigger screen; it’s an opportunity to take the best bits of a great idea and throw out all the parts that look a bit rusty. Richie and his team aim to rescue the spy-movie genre from dark introspection and take it back to the days when car chases were fun, you changed your suit every five minutes to the baddies had something new and eye-catching to shoot at, and having sex with someone didn’t mean at least one of you got killed off two scenes later."
    Predictable marketing concept.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    And then Bourne 4 or 5 (depending how you look at it) comes out next year and wipes it's backside with all of the above and critics and audiences go wild, lapping it up.
    Love Turtlenecks! Not so keen on Turtleheads!!! If you get my meaning? ;)
    I do like this approach.