The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

Interesting news for "SPECTRE". Since the release of the new teaser posters last week and further ongoing publicity (the "turtleneck"-hype), "SPECTRE" has risen 200% on the IMDB-Movie Meter. The list was updated today. It's now on 18th spot:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=2015,2015&title_type=feature&sort=moviemeter,asc

The only other film that's won't be premiering within now and the next 6 months, but is still in the TOP 20, is "Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens". It's on 14th spot (down 11%). On 29th place we find "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2" (down 15%).

"Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" however, sunk 6% on the Moviemeter since the release of its trailer last Monday. It's now on 70th position. And it is followed very closely by Guy Ritchie's "The Man From UNCLE", which is on 72nd spot (up 2%)

"Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron" will premiere on May 1st, and is now on 4th spot.

Although one should take the IMDB-Moviemeter with a grain of salt when one wants to make assumptions on upcoming success of these films, it does say something about keeping films high on people's minds. Having said that, the marketing/publicity efforts for "SPECTRE" are paying off. And expect "SPECTRE" to rise even further next week after the teaser trailer has been released.

Short overview:

04: "Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron" (premieres: May 1st)
    08: "Furious 7" (premieres: April 2nd)
    14: "Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens" (premieres: December 25th)
    18: "SPECTRE" (premieres: November 6th)
    29: "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2" (premieres: November 20th)
    70: "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" (premieres: July 31st)
    72: "The Man From UNCLE" (premieres: August 14th)

Next IMDB-Moviemeter-update is on April 2nd.

I actually really like the teaser poster. Just plain, magnificent photography of the leading characters on a striking yellow background and with very modern font type.

It is the style that the recent Bond films also used for their poster designs though.
    ^^ MI:RN is 70 ? :O

That should change quickly..

As for UNCLE it definitelly is not in the same basket as Bond and Ethan..the movie can be happy if they make 200m dolllars worldwide and that IMHO should be a success..if they SOMEHOW manage to get to 300m I would be surprised and the studio should greenlight a sequel ASAP
    dragonsky wrote: »
    ^^ MI:RN is 70 ? :O

That should change quickly..

The changes on the IMDB-Moviemeter include the recent release of the SPECTRE teaser poster and the Mission: Impossible trailers.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,708
    http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/09/man-uncle-ew-preview

Here is a new Ent. Weekly summer preview of UNCLE complete with new cool production art. for the first time they talk about the film being done in the style of the early Bond films and Ipcress file.
    Good piece. Very encouraging that it's being done in the '60s Bond style
    I'm not crazy about the idea of Solo and Kuryakin being enemies originally.
    I hope they don't overplay this angle, and that they get past it quick.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I got the feeling that them being enemies at first was a set up to one of those awkward moments. Uhhhh...yeah...no hard feelings? kinda situations.
    They are enemies at first and then more like oil and water.EARLY60's style, think From Russia with Love and Ipcress File.
  • Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer at Warners event in Las Vegas:

• New footage was shown from the movie, but haven't seen any details yet.
  • MTV interview with Cavill and Hammer

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2015 Posts: 5,131
    Beards look s***. They should be banned when promoting such a film. Image is everything in marketing.
  • suavejmf wrote: »
    Beards look s***. They should be banned when promoting such a film. Image is everything in marketing.

I don't know about Armie Hammer, but Henry Cavill grew his beard for a movie called Stratton he's about to start filming. Comes up in passing in this interview:

suavejmf wrote: »
    No argument here.

=D>
    I was at the Warner Bros event and saw the lads as well as the new trailer. More than ever it's obvious that the film versions of Solo and Kuryakin are quiet different from their TV counterparts but still carry that second season vibe about them. Instead of "Funky Music" this time it's "House of the Rising Sun" which seemed much more appropriate.
    suavejmf wrote: »

I don't know about Armie Hammer, but Henry Cavill grew his beard for a movie called Stratton he's about to start filming. Comes up in passing in this interview:

I looked past the beards of those two wunderful actors. One thing is for sure. Armie, but especially Henry......ooze the Bond charisma. I really can see Henry Cavill play agent 007 one of these days.

Also, here's a wunderful article about the upcoming "The Man From UNCLE":
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-ca-movie-sneaks-man-from-uncle-cavill-vikander-20150426-story.html

It really seems agent 007 gets "attacked" by many other spies this year ;-).
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Henry Cavill is only a week shy of his 32nd birthday.
    Unless he was to be put to work in the next few weeks, he is too old to play Bond.
    I am sorry, but I have advised EON that we will not be abiding the casting of any more old Bonds.
    ie no more hires beyond the age of 32.5, as firm cutoff.
    A mature 27-29 would be ideal. That way we get the actor for his prime Bond years as envisaged by Sir Ian
    The actor, having had a good run, would probably be happy to retire at proper mandatory 00 section age of 45 as well, which would be appreciated.
    No more old dogs. We've had enough.
    Not only Craig but the entire Roger era, plus late Broz too.
    Enough old dog.
    Bring back the glorious '60s era young dog Bond.
    At least Uncle had the sense to cast Solo at proper age.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    timmer wrote: »
    I am sorry, but I have advised EON that we will not be abiding the casting of any more old Bonds.

How did the powers that be at EON respond to your demands? :P

talos7 wrote: »

How did the powers that be at EON respond to your demands? :P

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. ;)

• timmer wrote: »
    Unless he was to be put to work in the next few weeks, he is too old to play Bond.
    A mature 27-29 would be ideal. That way we get the actor for his prime Bond years as envisaged by Sir Ian
    The actor, having had a good run, would probably be happy to retire at proper mandatory 00 section age of 45 as well, which would be appreciated.
    Enough old dog.

I think a more accurate way to state this is that Cavill will be too old once Craig yields the role. :-)
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Enough old dog.

I think a more accurate way to state this is that Cavill will be too old once Craig yields the role. :-)

That's kind of what I said, hire him now or forget about it. Sean was hired at 31 and Laz at 29.
    That's how you do it. You get their best years that way. Their actual prime 00 years as envisioned by Fleming, and also dictated by common sense.
    Younger guys just do this blunt instrument work a lot more effectively, not to mention chasing the girls, being a little reckless, indulging the indulgences.
    It all fits better with a guy in his 30's, who winds it down later at age 45ish.
    Fleming had it right.
    Now mind you, hiring Rog at 28-29 wouldn't have made any difference.
    I'm sure he moved like an ox, even when he was young. He's simply not athletic.

Cavill is perfect hire for Solo. He's the right young age. Looks the part. Can play an American. Vaughn was roughly the same age when he was cast ie very early '30s.

But for Bond, I believe Cavill is a now or never hire. He is right at the edge of the age window.
    I have advised Eon, and would expect them to act accordingly :-B, ie forget about him and go back to young.

When latest old dog retires, I think its time for full, actor reboot.
    Hold auditions for 28-32 year old. No exceptions whatsover regarding age, and with proper Bond look too, as described by Fleming ( tall dark handsome, and smooth but with some cruel edge) and with some athletic prowess too. No young Rog's.

In meantime, Cavill looks like he will make a decent Solo. He looks the part. He can charm the 20-something girls, without any cringe factor.
    I am real glad Uncle got this right. Cruise would have been too old.
    Sorry Tommy, your Top Gun days are behind you.

And I hope he gets a chance to stick with Solo.
    Warner Bros. talks about why they chose to do "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." in the Wall Street Journal.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-make-tv-shows-into-movies-1429800930
  • delfloria wrote: »
    Warner Bros. talks about why they chose to do "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." in the Wall Street Journal.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-make-tv-shows-into-movies-1429800930

There's also some information about Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation in that article as well.
    TCM has scheduled To Trap a Spy in prime time (in the U.S.) on June 13.

http://bit.ly/1Jpu3pV
    TCM has scheduled To Trap a Spy in prime time (in the U.S.) on June 13.

http://bit.ly/1Jpu3pV

Hey @AlexanderWaverly, a question for you. Do you actually know how Robert Vaughn thinks about the fact that in a few months time "The Man From UNCLE" returns to the big screen? Do you know if he will be present at the red carpet premiere?

I was watching some very recent interviews with him, and he seems such a nice American gentleman. A bit like the American Roger Moore. Utterly charming, and still very fit, talkative.

interview 2014:

interview 2011:

Wait, I just saw this one as well, from late 2013:
    Robert Vaughn has been publicly supportive of Henry Cavill (the main example is the 2013 interview above). It would be a nice gesture if he got invited to the premier, even if he's not in the film in a cameo.
  • RC7RC7
    edited May 2015 Posts: 10,512
    Love Robert Vaughn. Did anyone else watch The Protectors?