The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

Here is the whole episode for anyone who has not seen one. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jw5nr_the-project-strigas-affair_shortfil
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I will definately watch this and have the 60's films on DVD. My fear for the new movie is that it will be too comedy driven, when I would prefer a slicker spy thriller (with some humour).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I will definately watch this and have the 60's films on DVD. My fear for the new movie is that it will be too comedy driven, when I would prefer a slicker spy thriller (with some humour).

Based on the trailer it looks like the latter.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »

Ritchie will deliver the latter. No worries.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

Ritchie will deliver the latter. No worries.

I'm not worried at all. This is my second anticipated movie of the year. :)
    It is well cast but I remain dubious over Richies interpretation. We will see.
    Not as excited for this now I’ve seen the trailer. Hammers accent stuck out in a bad way and I have no great desire to see an origins – East meets West movie. It looks like the agency will appear at the end so the sequel will be the film that I really wanted in the first place. But its risky because if this falls on its arse, it won’t get made. I want to see the walkie-talkie pen and stuff like that! And if the theme tune isn’t used then it slides even further for me.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,622
    grunther wrote: »
    Not as excited for this now I’ve seen the trailer. Hammers accent stuck out in a bad way and I have no gre noat desire to see an origins – East meets West movie. It looks like the agency will appear at the end so the sequel will be the film that I really wanted in the first place. But its risky because if this falls on its arse, it won’t get made. I want to see the walkie-talkie pen and stuff like that! And if the theme tune isn’t used then it slides even further for me.
    I share your concerns.
    Let's hope this origins film makes $$, so that we get on with Uncle-in-full-glory movies.
    There is much to like in the trailer I think, notwithstanding, Hammer's hammy accent.
    Why didn't the filmakers just cast an American and Russian in the respentive roles? Brit's would never accept an American actor playing Bond. Thankfully Gavin and Brolin never happened....awful idea.
  • Here are all of the act titles for The Man From UNCLE and The Girl From UNCLE.

https://uncleepisodeguide.wordpress.com/act-titles-for-the-man-from-u-n-c-l-e/
    Why didn't the filmakers just cast an American and Russian in the respentive roles? Brit's would never accept an American actor playing Bond. Thankfully Gavin and Brolin never happened....awful idea.

First watch the film, then elaborate on your criticism. Because in all honesty, we have only seen a trailer. And in all honesty, I loved the trailer.
    Fair enough. The trailer looked to comediac for my liking though. But yes judgement reserved.
    Fair enough. The trailer looked to comediac for my liking though. But yes judgement reserved.

I loved it! The car chase in the trailer reminds me of Remy Julienne's playful car chases from the 1970's, with Jean-Paul Belmondo. I love it.
    Overall it is a serious spy thriller with the comedic elements coming from the byplay between Solo and Illya much like the second season of the series. Over at the UNCLE Inner Circle FB group we have covered the film in depth. We always remind people that the film is a new take on the material though a few recognizable tropes are used from the series. Don't expect the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement to be the same as it was in the series.
  • RC7RC7

I loved it! The car chase in the trailer reminds me of Remy Julienne's playful car chases from the 1970's, with Jean-Paul Belmondo. I love it.

The car chase reminded of Sin City. Maybe it was the crash-zooms, but it looked a bit CGI enhanced. Even the stunt.
    delfloria wrote: »
    Overall it is a serious spy thriller with the comedic elements coming from the byplay between Solo and Illya much like the second season of the series. Over at the UNCLE Inner Circle FB group we have covered the film in depth. We always remind people that the film is a new take on the material though a few recognizable tropes are used from the series. Don't expect the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement to be the same as it was in the series.

Just out of interest @Delfloria : Are you a true "Man From U.N.C.L.E."-fan that happens to come to the Bond forums, because there are no big UNCLE-forums yet? Or are you also a big Bond-fan like me :-)? Just curious.
  • delfloria wrote: »

Just out of interest @Delfloria : Are you a true "Man From U.N.C.L.E."-fan that happens to come to the Bond forums, because there are no big UNCLE-forums yet? Or are you also a big Bond-fan like me :-)? Just curious.

Delforia has UNCLE and Bond "cred" that most of us only dream of.
    Thanks AlexanderWaverly. Gustav_Graves my 007 fandom started with the opening day of Goldfinger.
    Hmmmmm............. That new SPECTRE poster............... 007 sporting the Illya Kuryakin look.
    I think @delfloria's username is a sure tip-off of his Uncle bona fides.

BTW, the reason I have an Uncle avatar, is because the powers-that-be here, wouldn't let me use any actual Connery Bond images, so I went to next best thing, being a huge Uncle fan as well.
  • The evolution of the spy turtleneck from Kurykin to Matt Helm to Connery Bond to Moore Bond to today:

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/03/17/evolution-of-the-spy-turtleneck/
    Good piece @waverly.

Yes I did like Sean's brown turtleneck in DAF. And Dino as Matt Helm did the turtleneck much justice too.
    We have just learned in an interview with Cavill that; Solo, a postwar art thief-turned-Cold War agent, is the dapper playboy – who Cavill describes as “an arsehole with a heart” – working alongside Soviet spying machine Illya Kuryakin (Armie Hammer in the film, David McCallum when it was on TV). It’s Solo’s look that inspired the shoot. Cavill likes this.
  • Story here. It's mostly about clothes, but some tweaking of Solo's back story, according to ShortList.com

http://www.shortlist.com/mode/henry-cavill-talks-fashion-and-film-for-shortlist-mode
    Very interesting. One question: Do Henry Casilla and Daniel Craig know each other? Are they friends? I think they could be great shopping buddies hehe.

Serious? IF an actor needs to replace Daniel Craig as 007....Henry Casilla can do it for me.

Nice to see that both "SPECTRE" and "UNCLE" seem to inspire men's fashion.
  • re: original series. Turns out Solo did have the same blood type as Hitler.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/03/19/napoleon-solos-blood-type-and-continuity/
    A SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE U.N.C.L.E. INNER CIRCLE:
    A very special weekend U.N.C.L.E. event is in the planning stages as of last week to coincide with the opening day of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." Feature Film to be held in Burbank California. It will focus on both "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." feature film as well as the original series. More soon.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/369560823208688/