The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• bondjames wrote: »
    If you think about it $75m is nothing to spend on a movie these days. That is the real surprise, not the $300m for SP. Are they filming it in Eastern Europe or something?

Both are surprises, if you say it like that. The "ultra-low" budget on UNCLE, which is even lower compared to the recent Mission: Impossible film and Kingsman. But the 300 Million for SPECTRE is quite insane also, even when compared to the biggest Marvel movies.

I don't remember seeing a lot of explosions in the trailer? Maybe Ritchie won't need to have much CGI. The first Sherlock Holmes movie had similar budget

• edited February 2015 Posts: 1,310
    I'm going to be honest - after seeing the regrettable Man of Steel and hearing Cavill was leading this UNCLE film I wasn't at all interested.

After watching the trailer....well....I'm kind of interested.
  • I don't get the issue. IMO it would be more worrysome if the production budget was simply too low. That's also a possibility. Look to Pierce Brosnan's "The November Man" ($32 Million) or "Taken 3" ($48 Million). From those I can say: They could have used more established, expensive screenplay writers, they could have used more original, thus more expensive, action.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2015 Posts: 15,690
    The first Taken had a budget of $25 million, and a lot of people would say it's one of the best action films in recent years. Also look at District 9, it had a $30 million budget, and IMO I found it much, much better than Avatar which had almost 10 times that budget.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    That's also a possibility. Look to Pierce Brosnan's "The November Man" ($32 Million) or "Taken 3" ($48 Million).

I had no idea that Taken 3 had a budget of only $48m. I know that movie has been blasted, but honestly I didn't find it all that bad. I actually enjoyed it, much more than Taken 2. That was a good use of money. I'm sure the return on investment was amazing.

Liam sure worked for peanuts - that's the salary of some actors.
  • But let's face it. Spending tons of money on Bond films, was quickly normal after FRWL and DN. Bond is never low budget.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    But let's face it. Spending tons of money on Bond films, was quickly normal after FRWL and DN. Bond is never low budget.

True. I have felt for some time that SP was going to be Craig's TB or TSWLM (i.e. bigger and better, with all the money up on the screen compared to previous outings). I still believe that.

It's probably going to be more glamourous and expensive looking. They have to put all the newbie pretenders out this year firmly in their place. Bond is the #1 dog in this hunt. Eggsy who?
  • Saw the trailer for this and it really doesn't interest me at all, and I'm a huge Guy Ritchie fan. Just looks really cheesey/hammy imo. And what was with Cavill's accent? He did a good American accent in Superman but his accent in this sounds really forced and put on.

@bondjames Liam Neeson was paid 20 million for Taken 3. Hardly peanuts :P I didn't mind Taken 3 either. I thought the editing in the fight scenes/action scenes was poor but it was a decent enough film. I think it was about as good as Taken 2, which I also enjoyed.
  • Saw the trailer for this and it really doesn't interest me at all, and I'm a huge Guy Ritchie fan. Just looks really cheesey/hammy imo. And what was with Cavill's accent? He did a good American accent in Superman but his accent in this sounds really forced and put on.

You kidding me no :-O??
  • No I'm not kidding
  • I still have some faith because it's Guy Ritchie so if reviews are good and somebody I know wants to see it then I might end up going to see it but at the moment I couldn't give two shits about it tbh. Never seen the original show and like I said, the trailer didn't get me interested at all.
    I have this feeling that this movie will be reasonably adequate.
    Then hopefully a sequel can iron out any deficiencies, and then off we go into another glorious era of Uncle.

I would anticipate modest budget, quality productions.

Keep films well stocked with a plentiful and varied supply of gorgeous Uncle girls, both friendly and fatale.
    Combine with healthy dose of spy fantasy, and humour, and generous dose of danger and suspense.

Series should go for 45 years or so, until someone reboots it, and decides Solo suddenly has mryiad trust and purpose issues. ;)
    Spectre for my money is going to make a Billion at the box office.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I'm betting that SPECTRE will be Dan's best Bond yet and will make half of what SF did.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I'm betting that SPECTRE will be Dan's best Bond yet and will make half of what SF did.

LOL, you're funny :-P. So $550 Million globally? Lower than CR and QOS? Hahaha :D

I still have some faith because it's Guy Ritchie so if reviews are good and somebody I know wants to see it then I might end up going to see it but at the moment I couldn't give two shits about it tbh. Never seen the original show and like I said, the trailer didn't get me interested at all.

I think you should do yourself a favor and watch a couple of 1st season episodes of UNCLE just to see the television show that hand in hand created the spy craze of the 60's. After all Ian Fleming had a hand in creating it by naming the lead character "Napoleon Solo". Not knowing UNCLE is like not having ever seen a Connery Bond film.
  • delfloria wrote: »
    I still have some faith because it's Guy Ritchie so if reviews are good and somebody I know wants to see it then I might end up going to see it but at the moment I couldn't give two shits about it tbh. Never seen the original show and like I said, the trailer didn't get me interested at all.

I think you should do yourself a favor and watch a couple of 1st season episodes of UNCLE just to see the television show that hand in hand created the spy craze of the 60's. After all Ian Fleming had a hand in creating it by naming the lead character "Napoleon Solo". Not knowing UNCLE is like not having ever seen a Connery Bond film.

I agree.
  • The ties between UNCLE and Bond are long and they've only gotten longer with this movie;

https://uncleepisodeguide.wordpress.com/u-n-c-l-e-s-ties-with-james-bond/
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The ties between UNCLE and Bond are long and they've only gotten longer with this movie;

https://uncleepisodeguide.wordpress.com/u-n-c-l-e-s-ties-with-james-bond/
    Very cool.
  • A little something I put together. (Saul Bass inspired again obviously and the existing trailer) with an added sequence I loved from the trailer. Hope you like it.

250mdc5.jpg
    ^ I love this ! Good job
    Very cool. Very Saul Bass.
    If you don't mind I'd like to post this art over on the UNCLE Inner Circle. https://www.facebook.com/groups/369560823208688/
  • delfloria wrote: »
    If you don't mind I'd like to post this art over on the UNCLE Inner Circle. https://www.facebook.com/groups/369560823208688/

Please, go ahead :)
  • From The Spy Command archives 2011, and suddenly relevant in 2015.

A proposal for revamping UNCLE creator credits.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/a-proposal-for-revamping-u-n-c-l-e-creator-credits/
    delfloria wrote: »

You will be glad to know that it has become hit over there.

You will be glad to know that it has become hit over there.

Feel free to join us over there anytime.

A bit of nostalgia with the old TV theme and the new trailer.
  • For those in the United States and with access to MeTV: the cable channel will show The Project Strigas Affair at 10 p.m. ET Sunday. That's the episode with Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner, first broadcast two years before Star Trek.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I just joined the UNCLE Facebook site; thanks. :)

Here is a fun article on Spy Style, which you all may enjoy (includes a video) : http://www.mrporter.com/journal/the-report/a-brief-history-of-spy-style/171?cm_mmc=LinkshareUS-_-DruclYqPxnE-_-Custom-_-LinkBuilder&siteID=DruclYqPxnE-nRCkN6i9CxcN3nIeN0Ge2Q