The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• edited May 2015 Posts: 4,622
    I think it will have dash. Yes the film does seem to have stripped UNCLE of some of it's memes (origins film), but still, there does seem to be potential for generous dollops of Norm Felton inspired "dash"
    I hope you're right. We'll see relatively soon.
  • The second UNCLE movie trailer could be viewed this weekend at some U.S. theaters.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/31/second-u-n-c-l-e-movie-trailer-arrives/
    The UNCLE trailer #2 accompanies some of the San Andreas screenings in the US.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    timmer wrote: »
    delfloria wrote: »
    "According to those making it, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. 2015 is not a revamp that’s desperate to pull in a loyal audience clamoring to see their favourite show on a bigger screen; it’s an opportunity to take the best bits of a great idea and throw out all the parts that look a bit rusty. Richie and his team aim to rescue the spy-movie genre from dark introspection and take it back to the days when car chases were fun, you changed your suit every five minutes to the baddies had something new and eye-catching to shoot at, and having sex with someone didn’t mean at least one of you got killed off two scenes later."
    I do like this approach.
    fascinating Bond has such an effect on all those other films. It means Bond is as much in the game as ever!
    fascinating Bond has such an effect on all those other films. It means Bond is as much in the game as ever!

There's a reason all these films - UNCLE, "Spy", Kingsman etc are all coming out right now. These were all greenlit after Skyfall made 1.1 billion at the box office and suddenly every studio was looking to get a piece of that. Bond IS the game.
    dinovelvet wrote: »

There's a reason all these films - UNCLE, "Spy", Kingsman etc are all coming out right now. These were all greenlit after Skyfall made 1.1 billion at the box office and suddenly every studio was looking to get a piece of that. Bond IS the game.

And this is a good thing. UNCLE I hope will be a good Bond film, just as the original TV series and spin-off films, were great Bond spin-offs.
    Timmer, the director and producer have been quoted as saying they wanted do something like "From Russia with Love" or "Ipcress File" and they did succeed in creating something that looks like it really was made in 1966.
    Kingman feels like a film shot today about a subject from 1966 but U.N.C.L.E. really is a film from 1966.
  • RC7RC7
    Kingman feels like a film shot today about a subject from 1966 but U.N.C.L.E. really is a film from 1966.

Ritchie won't be able to rein in his visual style enough to make this film appear like it was made in 66. Not to mention the grading and CGI. This to me looks a 60's film made in 2015.
    I just watched the trailer again. I don´t completely trust Ritchie, and I´d defintely go with @RC7 that the film is going to look like a 60s film made in 2015. But I´ll definitely see it, if just for the set design.
    Oh, and that Rogerism Cavill pulls off at the end of the trailer is neat ;-)!
    Hmmmm........... when I saw the film it sure looked like it stepped out of 1966. BTW, that's the beauty of it................ it doesn't look like any other film Ritchie has ever made before. I think you are judging it against the trailer that's cut for a 2015 audience.
    Hmmmm........... when I saw the film it sure looked like it stepped out of 1966. BTW, that's the beauty of it................ it doesn't look like any other film Ritchie has ever made before. I think you are judging it against the trailer that's cut for a 2015 audience.
    Sure I´m judging it against the trailer, that´s why I wrote "is going to look", not "is looking". Sherlock Holmes didn´t look like any other film Ritchie had made until then, and it didn´t help. Which doesn´t mean to say I look at this in a pessimistic way.
    Since the worldwide release isn´t before August, on what occasion did you see it?

• edited June 2015 Posts: 2,115
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Sure I´m judging it against the trailer, that´s why I wrote "is going to look", not "is looking". Sherlock Holmes didn´t look like any other film Ritchie had made until then, and it didn´t help. Which doesn´t mean to say I look at this in a pessimistic way.
    Since the worldwide release isn´t before August, on what occasion did you see it?

There were at least two test audience showing last year in Southern California.
  • Regarding the film's look, the director of photography has said it was shot digitally, but used lenses to make it look as if it were shot in the '60s.

• RC7RC7
    Regarding the film's look, the director of photography has said it was shot digitally, but used lenses to make it look as if it were shot in the '60s.

He can use apt lenses all day long, but unless it's shot on stock from the 60's it's never going be as evocative as something such as 'The Ipcress File', or 'FRWL'. I can see what they've tried to do, and I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the film, but from the trailer I get the impression it will look more like SF than the aforementioned films. Again SF is a modern film trying to sporadically evoke the look of the past, but works best when it grasps the present imo. To me, this, a little like parts of SF, looks like a sixties film viewed through the prism of the 21st century, rather than an authentic period piece.
    Recreating the '60s is quite doable.
    X-Men:First Class did a superb job in that regard.

Also I think the great digital restorations of the early Bond films made by the Lowry group, have made those movies look like '60s films that were made now.
    It's a great look.
    Key for UNCLE though is to catch that smart UNCLE vibe, that made UNCLE TV and film so watchable.
  • RC7RC7
    Recreating the '60s is quite doable.
    X-Men:First Class did a superb job in that regard.

Again, I would say that's a sixties film told through the prism of the 21st century, rather than a film that adopts the visual motifs and styles of the era. To make a truly authentic period piece it's beneficial to adopt the literal style of film making you're trying to evoke. Motion controlled rigs, crash zooms, an over-abundance of crane and drone shots, they all take away from the aesthetic, I think (CGI also, obviously). Something like 'The Ipcress File' has very pronounced shot choices, a lot of dutch angles and an almost noir-ish level of lighting in parts. I always find it strange when film makers try to adapt a nostalgic 'look', but forget that a lot of the techniques used (primarily drawn from the limitations of the time) are just as paramount to delivering that feel.

I also think it stems from the design being in part relatively faithful, but also in part a sort of 'remembered reality', that is borne of nostalgia. So we get something of middle ground where it's like a dream-like version of an era, rather than one that feels truly authentic. I haven't seen it in a while, but I thought 'Tinker, Tailor' did a pretty decent job of pulling off the period feel. It had some beautiful framing and interesting set ups, with crane and motion shots not becoming too intrusive.

Anyhow, I digress. I find 'period' pieces really interesting, especially when the film makers try and marry nostalgia with modern day techniques.
    Great post @rc7. Educational even. The distinctions you are making are quite interesting.
    Will be interesting to see if Ritchie truly finds the Ipcress File look, but I'm now thinking more probably an X-Men:First Class look might be closer to what we get.

But that's not the worst thing. I thought that movie looked real good.
    Best of both worlds I think are the digitally restored Lowry Bond titles.
    Those are actual '60s films, so spruced up and re-polished that they look like they could have been made last year.
  • RC7RC7
    Great post @rc7. Educational even. The distinctions you are making are quite interesting.

Thanks @timmer
    Will be interesting to see if Ritchie truly finds the Ipcress File look, but I'm now thinking more probably an X-Men:First Class look might be closer to what we get.

But that's not the worst thing. I thought that movie looked real good.
    Best of both worlds I think are the digitally restored Lowry Bond titles.
    Those are actual '60s films, so spruced up and re-polished that they look like they could have been made last year.

Agreed. I am looking forward to seeing what happens with UNCLE too.

The second UNCLE trailer is out in theaters now and gives more of a peek at the saturated graphic red and black Saul Bass styled main title animation. More 60's stuff.
  • Guy Ritchie reveals final UNCLE poster, says a new trailer out tomorrow.

http://bit.ly/1GezyHG
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Can't wait. I'm so looking forward to this movie. :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Me too. It'll be really good I'm betting.
    Here's an example of the new poster:

uncle-poster-2.jpg
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Really looking forward to seeing this. Loved the series...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Me too. This is going to be a fun movie.