The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I slightly added my remark. Curious what you think of it ;-).
    Craig certainly looks good in that poster, but I still think Bond is falling behind, relatively speaking, compared to the competition, when it comes to the posters. They used to be so far ahead of the pack in the old days (when they did the classic artwork posters). Some of those are darn iconic.

I can't think of anything really iconic in the past 20 odd yrs except for maybe the CR teaser
    latest?cb=20120329172248

I really didn't like this one (although Severine always looks good):
    article-1344596385696-1476b947000005dc-964197_636x324.jpg
    Still, the character posters for "Uncle" are also nothing more than some -beautifully- photo-editing work. Nothing more. I think what really helps the characters posters for "UNCLE", are the actual vibrant use of background colors. Very 60's, neon-esque colors.

I'm really starting to think that "Mission: Impossible 5: Rogue Nation" could suffer, box office-wise, from the premiere of "The Man From UNCLE".

LOL, what? Other way round.
    MI is going to be a bit more of the same while UNCLE is going to have a leg up because it is something entirely new to most of the audience. In any case, UNCLE will have two week space between it and MI. Room for both to flourish.
    And here is some feedback from the screening from New York critic, Julian Roman.
    "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." is a winner. As cool as the other side of the pillow lol, top marks!

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    That's very good to hear. Hopefully more reviews should be coming out soon.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,119
    And more reviews come in:

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/07/01/some-early-u-n-c-l-e-reactions-arrive/

So far, the short remarks are all very positive.

It is interesting to mention, that the U.N.C.L.E.-screening is rather unusual. As you know the screening took place six weeks before the movie’s Aug. 14 release date. Smart promotional/viral marketing from Warner Bros. ;-)?

I guess it's necessary, especially when you need to compete in a crowded summer blockbuster season.....of which the main competitor is "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation".

Anyway, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS FILM :-D!
    This is very good news for UNCLE. Really looking forward to catching this.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    This is very good news for UNCLE. Really looking forward to catching this.

I'm really going to look forward to this film @doubleoego. Slightly more than "M:I 5" to be honest.
    I share the same sentiments @Gustav.
    It seems like they are very confident with this film to be doing the screenings so far in advance.
    bondjames wrote: »
    It seems like they are very confident with this film to be doing the screenings so far in advance.

I think Warner is betting on a surprise success for "UNCLE", similar to Fox's "Kingsman" ;-). I think their promo campaign is quite similar. Andddd, don't forget: Guy Ritchie. He's a way bigger name than Christopher McQuarrie. If "UNCLE" is grossing around $400 Million, then I could easily see Barbara Broccoli eyeing Ritchie as Mendes' future successor for a 25th or most likely 26th Bond film.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Although his role as Superman and his involvement in the (potential) UNCLE franchise make it his being cast as Bond unlikely, he sure does look the part in this shot.

Bond_zps9f9yigfw.jpg
    talos7 wrote: »
    Although his role as Superman and his involvement in the (potential) UNCLE franchise make it his being cast as Bond unlikely, he sure does look the part in this shot.

Bond_zps9f9yigfw.jpg

Yeah, well I want to own Henry anyway :-P. In a way this picture reminds me of "Goldfinger". It's as if Sean and Honor are having a rest between takes :-P.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I dunno... he may be a wee bit too handsome for Bond... even more so than Pierce ever was.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think as he ages he will look even more suited for the role.
  • talos7 wrote: »

Bond_zps9f9yigfw.jpg

Yeah, well I want to own Henry anyway :-P. In a way this picture reminds me of "Goldfinger". It's as if Sean and Honor are having a rest between takes :-P.

By coincidence, a Goldfinger helicopter -- the one that Pussy Galore supposedly flew into Fort Knox -- is in the UNCLE movie. Not the same model. The actual helicopter. It's a period piece, they needed a vintage helicopter and so...
  • Meanwhile, Henry Cavill will do double duty at the San Diego Comic Con on July 11, promoting both Batman v Superman and the UNCLE movie.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/07/01/u-n-c-l-e-stars-to-promote-movie-at-san-diego-comic-con/
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I think as he ages he will look even more suited for the role.
    I could see that.
    He's definitely a good looking guy, but I have to see him demonstrate his acting chops before I could see him doing Bond. So far, on that front, he's been unimpressive to me. Hopefully he can sway me in U.N.C.L.E.

Bond_zps9f9yigfw.jpg

I have that exact 3 piece suit.
    Quote from Daniel Pemberton regarding the score from U.N.C.L.E.
    "I am keeping “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” a big secret. But I will say a few things. I am unbelievably excited about what it’s sounding like. I think, at first, people might be a bit confused or surprised; certain spy clichés have been banned (and others not!), but I hope they love it.
    The film is great, super stylish and very cool. This score to “The Game” is like it’s much more serious cousin – a more brutalist, 1970’s grim British grey to U.N.C.L.E.’s kaleidoscope of international color. Tempted to wind a few people up and say we’ve gone for a really modern sound – loads of synth patches, drones and taiko percussion…but we haven’t. It’s 1960s all the way! Find out in August.."
    Sounds like they're not messing around and keeping it 100. I just wish such passion could be echoed by EoN and Newman.
    Do we think if filming has wrapped? Could we get our next trailer for Spectre at Comic-Con?
    No comicon happening for SP.
  • Russian trailer. Has a scene or two not in the U.S. trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jB01Qcbs81o
    Russian trailer. Has a scene or two not in the U.S. trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jB01Qcbs81o

I'm looking forward to experience the 1960's again ;-)! As I've never experienced the 1960's or its Bond-craze, this must be the next best thing for me....a 33 year old handsome Dutch fella :-P.
    I get to drool over both Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer. And even Hugh Grant. How lovely.
  • For all those Uncle fans out there, the role of Victoria. Do you think she'll remain a villain to the end or will end up falling for Solo like some of the female villains did in the old series?