Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Manhunt 2019

I'm usually sceptical of ITV when it comes to drama with the exception of Endeavour and Vera. Although they do have a good track record when it comes to true life adaptations. 2017s Little Boy Blue with Stephen Graham is an example and this weeks 3 parter Manhunt is another one.

This comes thoroughly recommended and Martin Clunes as DCI Colin Sutton is superb with a great supporting cast. This is not a thriller, this a Pollice procedural that dramatizes the investigation into the murder of French National, Amelie Delagrange, on Twickenham Green in August 2004 which was eventually linked to the murders of Marsha McDonnell in 2003 and the abduction and murder of Milly Dowler as she travelled home from school in 2002.

No need for gimmicks just the facts with a few changes for dramatic effect not unlike Little Boy Blue and it's engrossing and thrilling.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7801964/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_3
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2019 Posts: 40,468
    Eight Hours Don't Make A Day (1972)

While I've only seen two episodes thus far (they seem to clock in at about two hours a piece), I'm absolutely loving this intriguing family series from German visionary Rainer Werner Fassbinder; from the acting (particularly from our very own General Ourumov, the late and great Gottfried John) and scripts, to the brilliant camerawork (especially the panning that helps segue into new sequences) and sets and outfits. This was apparently a controversial series at the time, though I'm not sure why - perhaps it was the early 70's, the country of origin (Germany), the fact that it was on television, the slight shots of nudity, or an amalgamation of the four things, but I've found no offense in it and I feel it's lighthearted and funny, yet serious enough for anyone to enjoy.
    Parfum - A German crime series that is not based upon the Suskind book but has drawn its premise from it. It is a very good series that is sometimes difficult to watch with certain topics concerned.
    @SaintMark, I think I saw a trailer for that on Netflix, it seemed like it could either be a sleeper hit or a bit of a bore. Worth a viewing then, I'm guessing?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2019 Posts: 6,784
    Just discovered a wonderful German spy series: DEUTSCHLAND 83

Thrilling espionage show about an East German spy infiltrating the West. The atmosphere of 1980’s West and East Germany is brilliantly transfered to the screen, including an excellent score full 1980’s pop music. Also kudos for doing something different and telling the story from a GDR point of view.

Atmospherical, suspensful and original. A must for every fan of spy fiction.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @SaintMark, I think I saw a trailer for that on Netflix, it seemed like it could either be a sleeper hit or a bit of a bore. Worth a viewing then, I'm guessing?

I found it quite an interesting show about morality and senses. And with 6 episodes easy to binge.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I found it quite an interesting show about morality and senses. And with 6 episodes easy to binge.

Six makes it easy to binge, indeed. The most I care to see in a season is 10-13 episodes max, anything more and it typically tends to be unnecessary filler that I have no time for.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    MICKEY SPILLANE'S MIKE HAMMER (1984)

After watching Don Stroud today in LTK, I felt compelled to see him as Mike Hammer's buddy Pat Chambers. Great rapport with Stacy Keach.

DEAD MAN'S RUN

Mike's buddies await him on New Year's Eve and reminisce an old case. I believe this episode was cobbled together while Keach was in prison.

Fun episode I recorded nearly 30 years ago off of the USA network. Pity this series was never released on DVD or Blu-ray. Maybe in 2019?
    image-jpg.28588

I don't know why the 1984-87 series hasn't been released, when 2 of the 4 tv movies with Keach as Hammer have been released, as well as the short lived 1997-98 series.

I think there may be a DVD set that has the 1986-87 season. Oddly. Renamed THE NEW MIKE HAMMER after Keach had returned from his prison stint and revived the series. These episodes dropped some of the humor for more serious storylines. Also used a faster tempo rendition of Harlem Nocturne. Not sure what region that set is in, though. I have the '90's series as well as the two TV movies that have been released.
    Love to have them all. I can remember Rich Little performing the voice over narration in a couple episodes when Keach was arrested.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The early episodes are unmatched IMO, Heart of Ice is brilliant, still my favourite episode.

I've reached the point where the show was re-branded. I don't care for the Jokers facelift. At least the Art Deco style wasn't changed.
    MICKEY SPILLANE'S MIKE HAMMER (1984)

After watching Don Stroud today in LTK, I felt compelled to see him as Mike Hammer's buddy Pat Chambers. Great rapport with Stacy Keach.

DEAD MAN'S RUN

Mike's buddies await him on New Year's Eve and reminisce an old case. I believe this episode was cobbled together while Keach was in prison.

Fun episode I recorded nearly 30 years ago off of the USA network. Pity this series was never released on DVD or Blu-ray. Maybe in 2019?
    image-jpg.28588

I don't know why the 1984-87 series hasn't been released, when 2 of the 4 tv movies with Keach as Hammer have been released, as well as the short lived 1997-98 series.

I think there may be a DVD set that has the 1986-87 season. Oddly. Renamed THE NEW MIKE HAMMER after Keach had returned from his prison stint and revived the series. These episodes dropped some of the humor for more serious storylines. Also used a faster tempo rendition of Harlem Nocturne. Not sure what region that set is in, though. I have the '90's series as well as the two TV movies that have been released.
    Love to have them all. I can remember Rich Little performing the voice over narration in a couple episodes when Keach was arrested.

I've looked into it you are absolutely right. It's the 1986-87/3rd series, renamed The New Mike Hammer. The set also includes the other tv movie, as well as the 2-part pilot for the 1st series. I believe it's an Austrailian release. I'll have to look into getting a copy from somewhere. I don't see the point of releasing the 3rd series, but not the first two.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    GoldenGun wrote: »

I loved this to bits. And apparently a sequel, Deutschland 86, is on the way!!
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    GoldenGun wrote: »

I loved this to bits. And apparently a sequel, Deutschland 86, is on the way!!

Has already been released from what I get. Apparently Deutschland 89 is on the way.
    DEUTSCHLAND 83 was great, very much look forward to 86 which is yet to recieve a broadcast date here in the UK.

Though Mindhunters is the one I'm waiting for, The Crown, The Deuce & Better Call Saul as well, I will confess have me far more excited than the conclusion of GOT.

I'll possibly get more pumped when the first proper trailer drops or the 1st episode has been shown but GOT has become far removed from the show I remember in the first few seasons.

Thankfully the final episode of the last season reinstated some intrigue that had almost gone in the later seasons, the reason I enjoyed it so much was for this and having read all the books this was very much intricate to the story.

The big set piece element that has drawn in a wider audience isn't why I started watching the show, the show has definitely been dumbed down for this to happen.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    DEUTSCHLAND 83 was great, very much look forward to 86 which is yet to recieve a broadcast date here in the UK.

Though Mindhunters is the one I'm waiting for, The Crown, The Deuce & Better Call Saul as well, I will confess have me far more excited than the conclusion of GOT.

I'll possibly get more pumped when the first proper trailer drops or the 1st episode has been shown but GOT has become far removed from the show I remember in the first few seasons.

Thankfully the final episode of the last season reinstated some intrigue that had almost gone in the later seasons, the reason I enjoyed it so much was for this and having read all the books this was very much intricate to the story.

The big set piece element that has drawn in a wider audience isn't why I started watching the show, the show has definitely been dumbed down for this to happen.

Absolutely, I think the first four seasons were top notch but I’ve been less impressed with everything since I’m afraid. The intrigues seem to have been abandoned for more spectacle.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    Line of Duty (Seasons 1 - 4; 2012 - 2017)
    IiWsNbT.jpg

I'd heard a lot about this Jed Mercurio created tv series over the years, but had never gotten round to watching it until recently. Netflix provided the perfect source, and I decided to do a binge. I have to say, this show certainly lives up to it's stellar reputation. The writing is absolutely first class, the cast is excellent, the characterizations are rich, everyone is sharp and the tension builds beautifully in each season to a great climax. The show follows the exploits of a police 'anti-corruption' unit within the Metropolitan Police Service known as AC12 as they try to take down 'bent' coppers in the force and root out fraud and graft. Their foes are usually very smart and conflicted individuals who don't make it easy to bring them to justice. Some of the best scenes involve detailed questioning of the suspects. The showmakers demonstrate painstaking attention to detail regarding investigative and interrogation techniques, and these scenes come alive on account of the great performances by the cast - one truly feels the pressure the accused come under and respect their attempts to evade justice. These are all three dimensional, intelligent and complex characters here. I hear that a fifth season will be out in April, and a sixth has also been commissioned. I can't wait to see who Superintendent Ted Hastings & Detective Sargeants Steve Arnott & Kate Fleming go after next. This is top notch television, and highly recommended.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have finished my x-filathon, but have sadly not had the opportunity to see season 11.
    xiy25bp7dpncyw0w1uyi.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have a question for any Batfans here. I have just watched an episode of the animated series, The Lion And The Unicorn, and my question is this: is it me, or did the animators base some characters appearances on actors? Because I swear, Alfreds cousin Frederick, looked like David Niven. A few episodes back, Time Out Of Joint, the auctioneer looked like Terry-Thomas (even down to his famous gap in his teeth). And way back near the beginning, there was a gangster that looked like Jack Palance.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I have a question for any Batfans here. I have just watched an episode of the animated series, The Lion And The Unicorn, and my question is this: is it me, or did the animators base some characters appearances on actors? Because I swear, Alfreds cousin Frederick, looked like David Niven. A few episodes back, Time Out Of Joint, the auctioneer looked like Terry-Thomas (even down to his famous gap in his teeth). And way back near the beginning, there was a gangster that looked like Jack Palance.

The animators did so on other shows, such as their take on Lex Luthor being based on Telly Savalas' Blofeld from OHMSS, so it wouldn't surprise me.
    The firs three episodes of the Punisher season 2 are once again showing that Netflix does the character credit, like Jessica Jones & Daredevil.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The firs three episodes of the Punisher season 2 are once again showing that Netflix does the character credit, like Jessica Jones & Daredevil.

Wonderful season. Much better paced than season 1 was.
    Wow you've already finished it, well done.

I had a day off.

I had a day off.

So did I but found that three episodes was enough and followed that one up with the new Star Trek Discovery episode.

Both new episodes from season 2 are excellent so far.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    THE PUNISHER SEASON 2

The_Punisher_1.gif

Flawed but extremely enjoyable, with plenty of cracking action and great individual character moments.

Unfortunately, it is marred by some uninspired new characters but it all builds to a fairly stunning final scene that had me grinning from ear to ear. Bernthal handles it all very well, despite doing a bit too much George Clooney style head bobbing during some emotional scenes.

8/10
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    THE PUNISHER SEASON 2

The_Punisher_1.gif

Flawed but extremely enjoyable, with plenty of cracking action and great individual character moments.

Unfortunately, it is marred by some uninspired new characters but it all builds to a fairly stunning final scene that had me grinning from ear to ear. Bernthal handles it all very well, despite doing a bit too much George Clooney style head bobbing during some emotional scenes.

8/10
    I just finished viewing this as well and agree with your comments. I personally think it was more entertaining than Season 1 and it had my attention throughout, although the finale was a bit underwhelming for me.

I was quite impressed with Giorgia Whigham. I think she's got what it takes to go places.
    I was quite impressed with Giorgia Whigham. I think she's got what it takes to go places.

Her dad's an MCU TV alumni, as well, having had a major role in season 1 of Agent Carter.

Her dad's an MCU TV alumni, as well, having had a major role in season 1 of Agent Carter.
    Thanks. I had no idea she was Shea Whigham's kid. She definitely takes after her old man, skills wise.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondjames wrote: »

Thanks. I had no idea she was Shea Whigham's kid. She definitely takes after her old man, skills wise.

It took me a lot longer to warm up to the character than I'd have liked, but I'd be lying if I didn't care about her by the end.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,043
    Escape At Dannemora 2018

Still, 2 episodes to go but this has been exceptional, superb performances from the 2 male leads Benicio Del Toro & Paul Dano, although Patricia Arquette who is barely recognizable is the real standout here.

Also, all episodes directed by Ben Stiller.

Seriously recommended.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6866266/?ref_=nv_sr_1&fbclid=IwAR0saBelfr1yTQ7TmW9-k_cN55niyKNjlQVdoZWHYlgx0CFe-i5l_aerwIE
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Burn Notice (2007-2013) - Always fun to watch. But, that's a limit I can only provide to the first five seasons, especially the first two seasons. It's a big surprise we don't see Jeffrey Donovan around in big theatrical titles. The guy is a damn fine actor.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Burn Notice (2007-2013) - Always fun to watch. But, that's a limit I can only provide to the first five seasons, especially the first two seasons. It's a big surprise we don't see Jeffrey Donovan around in big theatrical titles. The guy is a damn fine actor.

Loved the first few seasons of Burn Notice. It has a real Miami Vice vibe that I enjoy. The last couple of seasons were a chore toget through at times though.