Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Just started watching The Deuce. So far it's very good, and very sleazy!

The quality mark of David Simon continues, should be starting Season 2 soon.

Unlike Vinyl which totally failed to capture the era authentically The Deuce feels real and human, great performances throughout.

May David Simon and Co continue to enrich TV for many years to come, it's not Wire level but what TV series are?
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,280
    Shardlake wrote: »

Unlike Vinyl which totally failed to capture the era authentically The Deuce feels real and human, great performances throughout.

May David Simon and Co continue to enrich TV for many years to come, it's not Wire level but what TV series are?

I've never seen The Wire actually (one of very few, I guess!), and anything else by him for that matter. Will be interesting to see how things continue with The Deuce (on episode three right now). Like the pacing of the story so far.

Been meaning to check out Vinyl too, but haven't had the chance yet.

I've never seen The Wire actually (one of very few, I guess!), and anything else by him for that matter. Will be interesting to see how things continue with The Deuce (on episode three right now). Like the pacing of the story so far.

I seriously wouldn't bother with Vinyl, a squandered opportnity to do something within the music business, the potential was definitely there but it couldn't really decide what it wanted to be and then was thankfully put out of it's misery.

As for The Wire it's my favourite show of all time, it might not be your cup of tea but if you enjoy the pacing and style of The Deuce I can't see why you wouldn't get on with The Wire.

It takes patience though, the first time you watch Season 1 you have to give it a good few episodes to click but when it does if your like me it just grabs hold of you and won't let go.

It's like a great book you can't put down, I discovered it on DVD after the show had finished on HBO and I had it all finished within a month or 2.

Going back to it now is like revisiting an old friend, reaquainting yourselves with the characters and getting absorbed in it's world, to me it's a pure joy to watch.

Other shows have come along since and before it and I'd say only really Soprano's which was my favourite till I got hooked on The Wire is near it's brilliance.

Whereas Soprano's has great supporting characters but it's all really about Gandolfini and his portrayal of Tony Soprano. Whereas The Wire is a rich tapestry of characters, a real ensemble, yes it has it's regulars and some get more screen time than others but each one is drawn as living breathing realistic people and not a caricature in sight.

It's so much more than a Police drama, there's no kicking down doors and heroic shootouts, it's the day to day going ons of life in Baltimore. The futile war on drugs and the effects on the city and each of the 5 seasons of the show focus on a different aspect each time.

Simons's Treme about the after effect of Hurricaine Katrina is also worth a look but topping something like The Wire is something I think even Simon thinks is unlikely.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm on episode 5 of daredevil season 3. This show is amazing and thus far gearing up to be equal to if not better than the previous 2 seasons. The consistency of quality is something that the other Marvel Netflix shows have failed at. Kingpin, Bullseye, Matt, Maggie M and the fights....damn, the fights are something to behold.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Just wrapped up Daredevil season 3. I'd easily call it the best season of Daredevil, and quite possibly the best Marvel TV season overall.
    Not my favorite of the bunch, but definitely a brilliant season. They sure know how to run the show and structure it to a perfect capacity. That's what I love about Netflix shows that ABC/CBS shows lack.
    The fourth episode stuck on my mind, however. That prison escape bit right after Matt is or was about to be injected with a tranquilizing serum had the whole cinematography spewing brilliance. I saw a lot of Batman: Arkham influence in the portrayal of that high-octane grit.
    I loved that scene primarily for being one unbroken 10 minute tracking shot. It was pure cunematic beauty that even the MCU's movies lack.
    Couldn't agree more!
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I'm on episode 5 of daredevil season 3. This show is amazing and thus far gearing up to be equal to if not better than the previous 2 seasons. The consistency of quality is something that the other Marvel Netflix shows have failed at. Kingpin, Bullseye, Matt, Maggie M and the fights....damn, the fights are something to behold.
    The fights are beyond excellent. Daredevil, of all the Marvel Netflix shows, remains the daddy of them all. I did love Luke Cage, however, and was saddened to see it canned. Didn't care for the other two, however.
    I'm still only about halfway through the new Daredevil season 3. I've liked a couple of the episodes so far. Episode 4 "Blindsided" and Episode 6 "The Devil You Know" are the two that have stood out to me. I can't honestly say that I'm as enthused and riveted with this season 3 as I was with the two previous seasons, including The Defenders spin-off. I'm hoping things generally pick up by the close of episode 13.
    MAGNUM P.I.

Somehow, I'm not quite as against the new Magnum series as I am MacGyver, because it doesn't look like the re-boot screwed it up that much.

Regardless I still haven't seen it, so I'm sticking with the legend.

Home From the Sea-

Magnum gets knocked off his surf by a bunch of a$-h0les and must tread water for days awaiting rescue and avoiding sharks.fbf1c67404a3365351aae08da00a09b9.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Doing a Magnum, P.I. marathon myself! Watched that episode a couple of weeks ago. First time we see Magnum wearing his dad's Rolex GMT Master.
    Doing a Magnum, P.I. marathon myself! Watched that episode a couple of weeks ago. First time we see Magnum wearing his dad's Rolex GMT Master.

I believe Selleck kept that Rolex and it's the one he wears in the Jesse Stone tele-movies. I could be mistaken, though.

I seriously wouldn't bother with Vinyl, a squandered opportnity to do something within the music business, the potential was definitely there but it couldn't really decide what it wanted to be and then was thankfully put out of it's misery.

That bad, huh? The premise sure seems interesting, and it has Bobby Cannavale in the main cast. Oh well, they can't all be good I guess.
    As for The Wire it's my favourite show of all time, it might not be your cup of tea but if you enjoy the pacing and style of The Deuce I can't see why you wouldn't get on with The Wire.

It takes patience though, the first time you watch Season 1 you have to give it a good few episodes to click but when it does if your like me it just grabs hold of you and won't let go.

It's like a great book you can't put down, I discovered it on DVD after the show had finished on HBO and I had it all finished within a month or 2.

Going back to it now is like revisiting an old friend, reaquainting yourselves with the characters and getting absorbed in it's world, to me it's a pure joy to watch.

Other shows have come along since and before it and I'd say only really Soprano's which was my favourite till I got hooked on The Wire is near it's brilliance.

Whereas Soprano's has great supporting characters but it's all really about Gandolfini and his portrayal of Tony Soprano. Whereas The Wire is a rich tapestry of characters, a real ensemble, yes it has it's regulars and some get more screen time than others but each one is drawn as living breathing realistic people and not a caricature in sight.

It's so much more than a Police drama, there's no kicking down doors and heroic shootouts, it's the day to day going ons of life in Baltimore. The futile war on drugs and the effects on the city and each of the 5 seasons of the show focus on a different aspect each time.

Simons's Treme about the after effect of Hurricaine Katrina is also worth a look but topping something like The Wire is something I think even Simon thinks is unlikely.

Might check out The Wire eventually. Not a show I'd typically watch, but The Deuce isn't necessarily either, but I do like period shows (60's/70's in particular).

Watched the first season of Sopranos years ago, but it wasn't for me. Will probably give it another go at some point.
    Season three of Daredevil is once again must see television.

I wonder what is next with Luke cage and Iron fist cancelled?

We still get a new season Jessica Jones and a Punisher, so that is something to look forward to.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    DareDevil season 3. By far the best of the Marvel TV shows, closely followed by The Punisher.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Season three of Daredevil is once again must see television.

I wonder what is next with Luke cage and Iron fist cancelled?

We still get a new season Jessica Jones and a Punisher, so that is something to look forward to.

hopefully Heroes For Hire!

• edited October 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Myself, I'm finding Daredevil 3 a real struggle to get all the way through. Netflix doesn’t release ratings, but interest in a show is often tracked via social media engagement. Trends suggest that Daredevil season 3 is pulling in less-than-desirable numbers on social media, which could spell the end for the series. I just don't know what has happened to Daredevil. There's been a couple of good episodes (ep 4 & 6), but watching Daredevil lose his mojo hasn't made for very good viewing IMO. Also, the subconscious ghost of Kingpin as well as dedicating almost an entire episode to Karen Page has bored me rigid. It's such a shame as there was so much that was great about Daredevil in the first 2 seasons, plus the Defenders spin-off.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Maniac (2018)
    7MfXrYb.jpg

Hmm. What can I say about this? Well it's certainly surreal, psychedelic and somewhat inventive. As the show - set in a dystopian parallel universe - unfolds in different environments and dimensions, it on occasion evokes memories of many other films and series, including Total Recall (90's version), Inception, Pulp Fiction, Westworld, LOTR, Heroes & even parts of OHMSS. At a surface level it's about an experimental drug trial which goes awry, but there is also a potentially more interesting layer which delves into the inner turmoil and psychological trauma of the two lead characters, played by Emma Stone and Jonah Hill. While both premises invite initial viewer curiosity, ultimately I wasn't entirely impressed by how either was explored or handled in this show.

Cary Fukunaga definitely brings a distinct mood setting visual style which really complements the narrative well, as he did with True Detective. He must be commended for this, because it draws the viewer in. However, I felt that the screenplay was a bit jumbled (perhaps intentionally, to mirror the disturbed minds of the protagonists?) and in the end came away a bit unfulfilled. I think it started off well, but perhaps needed a few more episodes to better explore the themes and ideas it initially sets up nicely (it could have been far more than it ended up being, is what I'm saying). Despite this, Emma Stone gives a great performance, as does Sally Field. Justin Theroux isn't bad either, but I wasn't all that impressed with Hill. The score by Dan Romer is another highlight.

One more thing: I feel tracking shots are overrated. I'd be happy if I don't see another one again.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Just watched the first episode of the chilling adventures of Sabrina. It's pretty interesting and refreshingly dark. Kiernan Shipka aka Sally Draper as the lead is confidently good but then again she's always been a great actress from when she was a young child. I'll definitely watch the next episodes.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 3,333
    I also watched Maniac @bondjames, and I have to agree with your analysis. I just didn't find the story particularly engaging due to its disjointed nature. After a while, I just didn't care what happened to who. Nice visuals though.

I'm hoping the new Sabrina bucks this current disappointing trend of Netflix specials. Still, we have Narcos 4 to be released next month on November 16th, which I'm looking forward to.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondsum wrote: »
    I also watched Maniac @bondjames, and I have to agree with your analysis. I just didn't find the story particularly engaging due to its disjointed nature. After a while, I just didn't care what happened to who. Nice visuals though.
    The visuals were indeed very well done @bondsum and that gives me confidence that, at the very least, we are due for a decent looking Bond film in 2020. It seems to be something Fukunaga excels at.
    bondsum wrote: »
    I'm hoping the new Sabrina bucks this current disappointing trend of Netflix specials. Still, we have Narcos 4 to be released next month on November 16th, which I'm looking forward to.
    I've yet to see the last season of Narcos, and must get to it soon in preparation for season 4.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    HOUSE OF CARDS SEASON SIX.

house-of-cards-season-6-robin-wright-1014x570.jpg

Poor Robin Wright. After being consistently brilliant throughout every season, she was finally given her due promotion to lead after playing second fiddle for so long. And, somehow, they made an absolute bollocks of it. Eight episodes of stagnant, boring and monotonous rubbish. It was always going to be difficult pulling off a Spacey-less season, but it genuinely feels like they didn't even try.

On occasion, season six half-heartedly attempts to be empowering and talk about the patriarchy and give some kind of ham-fisted commentary on the privatisation of Government, but it continuously falls back on all the tropes that made the show such a chore to get through in the last couple of years; with misused returning characters and underwhelming new ones competiting for screentime.

For a season that was marketed as being the story of the woman finally holding all the power, the female characters remain shockingly written. Diane Lane does her best but is wasted on a subplot that is dramatically inert. A few characters get their stories wrapped up, albeit unconvincingly. The main crime here, though, is that the overall arc of the show is left unresolved and further highlights that the main thrust of the HOUSE OF CARDS story was Frank Underwood getting into power. It took two seasons for him to get it. Once that goal was accomplished, the show had very little idea of what it was *really* about. Lots of stuff happened in the following three seasons, but the bite was gone. Spacey was a strong enough performer that it was always watchable.

Now he's rightfully been pushed aside, the real life limitations leave an understandable impact on the story; but even with those limitations under consideration, Season 6 does nothing, and goes nowhere.

Robin Wright deserved better.
    Killing Eve - season 1 - such a funny series and I love the leading characters.
    HOUSE OF CARDS SEASON SIX.

house-of-cards-season-6-robin-wright-1014x570.jpg

Poor Robin Wright. After being consistently brilliant throughout every season, she was finally given her due promotion to lead after playing second fiddle for so long. And, somehow, they made an absolute bollocks of it. Eight episodes of stagnant, boring and monotonous rubbish. It was always going to be difficult pulling off a Spacey-less season, but it genuinely feels like they didn't even try.

On occasion, season six half-heartedly attempts to be empowering and talk about the patriarchy and give some kind of ham-fisted commentary on the privatisation of Government, but it continuously falls back on all the tropes that made the show such a chore to get through in the last couple of years; with misused returning characters and underwhelming new ones competiting for screentime.

For a season that was marketed as being the story of the woman finally holding all the power, the female characters remain shockingly written. Diane Lane does her best but is wasted on a subplot that is dramatically inert. A few characters get their stories wrapped up, albeit unconvincingly. The main crime here, though, is that the overall arc of the show is left unresolved and further highlights that the main thrust of the HOUSE OF CARDS story was Frank Underwood getting into power. It took two seasons for him to get it. Once that goal was accomplished, the show had very little idea of what it was *really* about. Lots of stuff happened in the following three seasons, but the bite was gone. Spacey was a strong enough performer that it was always watchable.

Now he's rightfully been pushed aside, the real life limitations leave an understandable impact on the story; but even with those limitations under consideration, Season 6 does nothing, and goes nowhere.

Robin Wright deserved better.

I'm not sure I'll bother with S6, I think it was at it's finest in the first 2 seasons but it still fell short of the original BBC series, there is only one FU and that is the late Ian Richardson.

Yes The Final Cut was a let down but I'll take House of Cards and To Play The King over all seasons of Netflix's HOC.

The problem is not all cases but most, U.S series don't know when to quit, this should have been done in 4 seasons but the last one was at times like pulling teeth.
    The Deuce

With a third and final season to go David Simon & Company continue to deliver, the 2nd season of The Deuce built on the promise of the first season.

Compelling, dense and brilliantly written although not up there with The Wire it's probably the closest this team have got to that televisual masterpiece so far.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Deuce

With a third and final season to go David Simon & Company continue to deliver, the 2nd season of The Deuce built on the promise of the first season.

Compelling, dense and brilliantly written although not up there with The Wire it's probably the closest this team have got to that televisual masterpiece so far.

Excellent news, I'm guessing the second season is finally finished in full now? I saw the first two episodes, but stopped myself because I felt like waiting to binge through it in its entirety one weekend.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The Deuce

Excellent news, I'm guessing the second season is finally finished in full now? I saw the first two episodes, but stopped myself because I felt like waiting to binge through it in its entirety one weekend.

It finished here in the UK on Tuesday night, yes easily bingeable, loved it from the get go.

We started watching it last week so we could binge it within a week. You can tell this is from the same team as The Wire, has that same feel and look, total utter confidence in the story it is telling.
    The Deuce

It finished here in the UK on Tuesday night, yes easily bingeable, loved it from the get go.

We started watching it last week so we could binge it within a week. You can tell this is from the same team as The Wire, has that same feel and look, total utter confidence in the story it is telling.

Indeed, I believe we discussed this about a month or so back, unless I'm getting you mixed up with somebody else because we also noted the similarities with The Wire. Can't wait to see the second season in full. I love that they've had this three season arc planned from the outset, too.
    The Deuce

Indeed, I believe we discussed this about a month or so back, unless I'm getting you mixed up with somebody else because we also noted the similarities with The Wire. Can't wait to see the second season in full. I love that they've had this three season arc planned from the outset, too.

Possibly it was me I can't remember, totally agree they got the arc planned out and agreed on 3 seasons to tell the story.

Simon did exactly the same thing on The Wire, he said all they needed was 5 seasons to tell their story and thankfully they got them, I think only Treme got told to wind it up sooner.

So many series go on for too long and well past their sell by date. BB & BCS have a similar ethic, enough episodes to tell the story and then your out. Soprano's was the same, David Chase knew when to wrap that up.

The way The Walking Dead is going is utterly ridiculous, they have no plan to end it, just go on till it literally kills itself off.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I just finished series 2 of Babylon Berlin. Let me just say - wow! Excellent actors, even in small roles, and I would not be surprised at all if someone like actor Peter Kurth appeared in a Bond film.

75c7a9c05263c8f9ff51695c5bd0049a.jpg

I don't want to spoil anything, but the last 2 episodes have a lot of plot and action elements usually expected from the Bond franchise, but set in the 1920s.
    @Shardlake, that's the best way to ensure that a show will be loathed by the masses more than reflected upon and hailed. It's usually obvious when a show has a plan from the start versus makes it up as it goes along, and I can't stand it when the latter happens.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The way The Walking Dead is going is utterly ridiculous, they have no plan to end it, just go on till it literally kills itself off.

In all fairness, the show was never structured with a true beginning/middle/end, it's about the day to day. The comics are much the same, though Robert Kirkman claims to have an ending in mind.

The way the show's going now, though, is an interesting angle that I feel's brought new life upon it. I'm also interested in where these upcoming TV movies will go.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Just finished watching Season 4 of Narcos. My god, what a show! Absolutely bloody superb! Nothing presently touches this in terms of continued excellent writing and acting on TV. To think that we're at the end of Season 4 and it's just as good as it was when it first started is true testament to the writing talent and production values of all involved. Michael Peña was surprisingly good in his role, as was Diego Luna (Star Wars: Rogue One) and Joaquín Cosio (QoS) and Julio Cesar Cedillo (Sicario). Every actor and actress in this show was and is superb and was brilliantly cast. The climax is unbelievably taut. If you haven't watched this show yet in its full entirety, I suggest you abandon what other distractions you have and watch this instead. This is proper adult drama. Not for kids.