Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I loved those latter two @CraigMooreOHMSS, very entertaining. I haven't seen Bodyguard yet, but did catch a scene on YouTube and thought it looked quite promising. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I loved those latter two @CraigMooreOHMSS, very entertaining. I haven't seen Bodyguard yet, but did catch a scene on YouTube and thought it looked quite promising. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.

I enjoyed them very much, too. Admittedly, my expectations for Jack Ryan might have been a tad too high and as a result it wasn't quite a home-run for me. But as it is, it's a very solid start for what will undoubtedly be a big hit series for Amazon. Hoping that they manage to squeeze some elements from the novels into future seasons and re-interpret them their own way in a modern context.

The key thing they got right was the villain. Without a compelling villain, these kind of shows are laborious. Thankfully, Suleiman was a very interesting antagonist.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    As my Wie and I have been on holiday since 9th September in Northern Italy and only returned this Friday just gone we've had to get a rather swift catchup on the most talked about show of the moment, I am of course are talking about Bodyguard.

Jed Mercurio already is someone that peaks my interest, although we are only recentish converts to his masterful series Line of Duty and are yet to see the 4th season.

Anyway when some people talk about event TV this is something that can be bandied around when not really the case, I mean Luther, whenever was that event TV?

This is the very definition of event TV, we still have episode 5 to watch as we opted for 2 a night on our return Friday. Though with tonight's finale an extended 75 minutes duration, I just hope this lives up to it's promise, Mercurio is yet to let us down so my expectations are justifiably high.

Also Richard Madden, who would have thought that Robb Stark could be as good as this, totally wiping the memory of one of Westeros most short lived kings from memory. An electrifying and magnetic performance, buoyed by a terrific supporting cast. Though praise must be heaped on behind the camera as welll.

This grips from the first scene and pretty much doesn't let you go to the end of each episode, then grabs you again to repeat the trick, masterful indeed.

Can't wait for our final 135 minutes tonight, who needs cinema when you've got TV this good.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,533
    The Sopranos

My first rewatch of the series ever, might be even better than the initial viewing now that I knew what to expect and what tiny moments to look out for and appreciate further. The closing moments of the series finale never fail to bring up a massively wide array of emotions for me - I love it and think it says all it needs to say about what happens once the credits roll. One of the all-time best shows right here.

My favorite show along with Sons of Anarchy, Animal Kingdom, and Miami Vice. It just gets better every time you rewatch it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Hawaii Five-0 - Season 9, Episode 1:

"Cocoon"

Considering the franchise will be celebrating its 50th Anniversary this year, the first episode of this season was a remake/adaptation of the original show's pilot episode done faithfully and greatly, an adaptation that will lead to forming the basis of the story arc in this season or at least part of it. Loved the homage and the structure of the plot carried out without waving the fanboy flag. I've faith in producer Peter M. Lenkov who is a great showrunner, far better than most in his position in this day and age. Looking forward to the next episode.
    I highly doubt Wo Fat (Mark Dacascos) was just a hallucination in Steve's mind. Well, in this instance he might've been, but I have my doubts that Dacascos was brought back just to have a fifteen second screen time. My speculation would lead to his presence going further into the up and coming episodes, either he is alive or due to the brainwashing side effects Steve McGarrett might suffer after the "experiment" the rogue Chinese counter-espionage faction put him through, he might be suffering brain damage. Just my two cents.

"Cocoon"

Considering the franchise will be celebrating its 50th Anniversary this year, the first episode of this season was a remake/adaptation of the original show's pilot episode done faithfully and greatly, an adaptation that will lead to forming the basis of the story arc in this season or at least part of it. Loved the homage and the structure of the plot carried out without waving the fanboy flag. I've faith in producer Peter M. Lenkov who is a great showrunner, far better than most in his position in this day and age. Looking forward to the next episode.
    I highly doubt Wo Fat (Mark Dacascos) was just a hallucination in Steve's mind. Well, in this instance he might've been, but I have my doubts that Dacascos was brought back just to have a fifteen second screen time. My speculation would lead to his presence going further into the up and coming episodes, either he is alive or due to the brainwashing side effects Steve McGarrett might suffer after the "experiment" the rogue Chinese counter-espionage faction put him through, he might be suffering brain damage. Just my two cents.

How good is the remake show these days? Watched the first season, but didn't continue beyond that.

"Cocoon"

How good is the remake show these days? Watched the first season, but didn't continue beyond that.
    It's actually pretty good. Been a loyal viewer for eight years now.

"Cocoon"

It's actually pretty good. Been a loyal viewer for eight years now.

Should probably try giving it a go again. Don't know why I quit watching actually. Might have to do with the amount of episodes each season. Gotten quite used to TV shows with 12-episode-ish seasons.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Killing Eve. Starring the magnificent Sandra Oh as Eve. Also Jodie Comer of course.
    This is a slick, pacey, darkly humorous thriller. There is enough in the first 6 episodes to allow the wobbles in the last two episodes (where disbelief really has to be suspended).

Incredible cast - David Haig, Darren Boyd, Fiona Shaw and Kim Bodnia as well as the principle two.

Enjoyed it, but not sure how many series the premise can be stretched over before it becomes tired.

NicNac wrote: »
    Killing Eve. Starring the magnificent Sandra Oh as Eve. Also Jodie Comer of course.
    This is a slick, pacey, darkly humorous thriller. There is enough in the first 6 episodes to allow the wobbles in the last two episodes (where disbelief really has to be suspended).

Incredible cast - David Haig, Darren Boyd, Fiona Shaw and Kim Bodnia as well as the principle two.

Enjoyed it, but not sure how many series the premise can be stretched over before it becomes tired.

Very enjoyable indeed, the killer does make the series worth your while.

The openings scene was already a classic by any standard.
    SaintMark wrote: »

Indeed. That opener is fantastic
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.

I hear this morning that there is going to be a series two brilliant news.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »

I hear this morning that there is going to be a series two brilliant news.

Well, that's good news. It certainly left it open ended.
    Magnum P.I. (2018):

Remakes often are made out of bad results, but there are exceptions when the showrunners and producers put a lot of care into the project that hardly bastardize the source material. Like Hawaii Five-0, the remake of the renowned Tom Selleck-headlined TV series actually proved to be good so far, with two episodes under its belt. At first, I struggled accepting Jay Hernandez as Thomas Magnum, despite finding his character very much intact to that of Selleck's original, but by the second episode, I warmed up to him. It's set in the same universe as Five-0 (as with the original), and certain characters from the other show made guest appearances. It's also believed crossovers between the two are planned. Can't wait.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Magnum P.I. (2018):

Remakes often are made out of bad results, but there are exceptions when the showrunners and producers put a lot of care into the project that hardly bastardize the source material. Like Hawaii Five-0, the remake of the renowned Tom Selleck-headlined TV series actually proved to be good so far, with two episodes under its belt. At first, I struggled accepting Jay Hernandez as Thomas Magnum, despite finding his character very much intact to that of Selleck's original, but by the second episode, I warmed up to him. It's set in the same universe as Five-0 (as with the original), and certain characters from the other show made guest appearances. It's also believed crossovers between the two are planned. Can't wait.

I had an ad for this while watching Hulu, barked out laughter at some of the car crashes in the footage - genuinely looked like they inserted a car crash from a Grand Theft Auto game on the PS2. I accepted long ago all these NBC/ABC/CBS shows simply aren't for me.
    Magnum P.I. (2018):

I had an ad for this while watching Hulu, barked out laughter at some of the car crashes in the footage - genuinely looked like they inserted a car crash from a Grand Theft Auto game on the PS2. I accepted long ago all these NBC/ABC/CBS shows simply aren't for me.
    Can't win them all. ;)
    Magnum P.I. (2018):

This is the first time I'm reading about this! Wonder when/if it will come to TV or streaming here in Norway.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Just finished watching The Company – a 2007 three-part series following real and fictional characters of the C.I.A. and their counterparts in the K.G.B. during the Cold War.

Taking you through the decades of the Cold War, this series is an interesting watch, although major events are only covered as much as needed. The personal dramas are the focal point, and it's here the series is at it's best. Alfred Molina and Michael Keaton makes for the standout performances, while Tom Hollander is great in his scenes as Kim Philby.

Has anyone here read the book by Robert Littell, which this series is based on?
    edited October 2018 Posts: 4,043
    Better Call Saul

With this 4th season Bob Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks have done something I had been considering since Season 2, BCS for me anyway has eclipsed Breaking Bad.

I think it's just the Odenkirk is such a watchable performer and from the get go even in BB he was one of the best character alongside Banks as Mike. You couldn't have hoped for 2 characters more to be exploited for a spin off.

Jimmy McGill's story is far more compelling and real than Walter's, yes at the beginning Cranston does wonders, the predicament of his situation but Walter becomes a monster as it goes on and also I understand that is the point but it makes Walter less interesting and by the end I was more concerned with Jessie, Saul and Mike than Walter.

So it was a no brainer to telll the story of becoming Saul, still got 4 episodes to go but this has been of the usual quality, can't say BCS has ever bored me, the slow burn of it and almost mundanity of it has made it one of the most watchable and compelling shows of recent times.

Odenkirk and Banks have been extraorinary and characters you can really feel for and like despite their flaws. The supporting cast also have been superb.

If you watch BB and enjoyed it but haven't given BCS a chance I can't recommend it anymore, simply a terrific show that continues to reward time and time again.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Jack Ryan (2018)

I had low expectations of this 8 episode Amazon Prime entry, particularly after the disastrous Shadow Recruit film from a few years back, but came away quite impressed. It's not up to the level of Homeland, but is certainly well above average for a series of this nature. I'm not familiar with the literary character, but as far as entertainment value, this hits the spot. There are some decent characters, good location photography and impressive production values here. John Krasinski is serviceable as the titular character, and he's ably supported by Abbie Cornish, Wendell Pierce and Timothy Hutton. I found the finale a bit anticlimactic, but overall it's a good start for this series and I'm looking forward to more seasons. Recommended.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 4,043
    Finished Better Call Saul last night, this season has been superb.

We have been edging closer and closer to Jimmy becoming Saul and this 4th season that has been more evident than ever.

Bob Odenkirk has been knocking it out the park from the beginning, he was only a side character in Breaking Bad but had some of the most memorable and best moments of that show.

Although if there was any fear that he would not be able to carry a show properly, he dispelled those from the get go, for me Jimmy McGill is far more interesting and complex propostion than Walter White and Odenkirk as topped the rather brillian work that Cranston did.

We know how this is going to end, we know where Jimmy will be, he will no longer be Jimmy McGill he'll be Saul Goodman, although it doesn't matter knowing the outcome.

Also getting to dig into Mike's background, after Saul my favourite character. Like Odenkirk Jonathan Banks made Mike a firm favourite of BB. In BCS his story is as interesting as we are seeing Mike become the Mike we see in BB.

With also Gus Fring, the excellent Giancarlo Esposito introduced in the previous season getting far more screen time we've had an insight into a factor that will be recognised by Breaking Bad fans that played into a rather significant moment that was highlighted on fan favourite episode "Fly".

Apparently Season 5 is the final one, although this might stretch to more episodes to finish things, the makers have said they are looking quite possibly for a similar amount of episodes to BB to give it a nice symmetry.

To be honest BCS is actually enriching Breaking Bad and vice a versa, watching BB again after BCS has concluded will make for quite a different experience I imagine.

I think that BCS has definitely proven that this was far more than a gimmick and in some eyes (mine) has even eclipsed the cultural phenomenon that was Breaking Bad.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,327
    Krypton just binge watched the last four episodes, that was totally insane though I enjoyed it. This show pulls no punches and gets on with it, Superman lore is being given elseworld treatment though it kind of works, this show is crazy.

Colin Salmon
    was a surprisingly good Zod
    Started with Daredevil season 3, so far he is back from the dead, not a big spoiler as its called season 3 of Daredevil.
    And unlike a movie from the 007 franchise they do not gloss over his return from the dead like it does not mean anything at all with an immediate healing not worth bothering.

Easily my favorite Marvel hero, but looking forward to the next Punisher season.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Apparently Season 5 is the final one, although this might stretch to more episodes to finish things, the makers have said they are looking quite possibly for a similar amount of episodes to BB to give it a nice symmetry.
    I wasn't aware that S5 would be the last of BCS, but I did ponder about the symmetry to Breaking Bad's number of seasons until, that was, you confirmed it @Shardlake. Shame really, as I think this series could go on for longer. We keep getting flash-forwards of Jimmy in the present at the start of each new season, paranoid and constantly looking over his shoulder. It's this element that I think could drive the final extended season of BCS, and not have it end on the inevitable crossover with BB. Thing is, we don't really know what's going on to make Jimmy so paranoid in Omaha, Nebraska. There's clearly a reason why we keep getting the flash-forwards to present day, so I'm hoping something happens to tie that up. Overall, a superb series and incredibly enjoyable. One of TV's excellent productions that I continue to look forward to every year, just like I did with Game of Thrones.
    The Haunting of Hill House. Decent horror series. Not my fav genre. But I don't mind watching Carla Gugino for hours ;)

Right now, following The Romanoffs. Very interesting.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Just wrapped up Daredevil season 3. I'd easily call it the best season of Daredevil, and quite possibly the best Marvel TV season overall.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Just wrapped up Daredevil season 3. I'd easily call it the best season of Daredevil, and quite possibly the best Marvel TV season overall.
    Not my favorite of the bunch, but definitely a brilliant season. They sure know how to run the show and structure it to a perfect capacity. That's what I love about Netflix shows that ABC/CBS shows lack.
    The fourth episode stuck on my mind, however. That prison escape bit right after Matt is or was about to be injected with a tranquilizing serum had the whole cinematography spewing brilliance. I saw a lot of Batman: Arkham influence in the portrayal of that high-octane grit.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Not my favorite of the bunch, but definitely a brilliant season. They sure know how to run the show and structure it to a perfect capacity. That's what I love about Netflix shows that ABC/CBS shows lack.
    The fourth episode stuck on my mind, however. That prison escape bit right after Matt is or was about to be injected with a tranquilizing serum had the whole cinematography spewing brilliance. I saw a lot of Batman: Arkham influence in the portrayal of that high-octane grit.
    I loved that scene primarily for being one unbroken 10 minute tracking shot. It was pure cunematic beauty that even the MCU's movies lack.
    Doctor Who meets Rosa Parks an excellent episode which leaves you feeling uncomfortable at certain moments. The Doctor does a brilliant historical as only that show can do.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Just started watching The Deuce. So far it's very good, and very sleazy!