Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Red Dwarf great show I really need to buy all the boxset.
    Line of Duty Have been catching up with this on DVD since watching the first series a couple of months back. Spent last night binge-watching series 3.

Brilliant cast and performances and a thrilling (if sometimes preposterous) plot.

Now that I've finished series 3 I almost don't want to watch anymore as it seemed to end so nicely.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Line of Duty Have been catching up with this on DVD since watching the first series a couple of months back. Spent last night binge-watching series 3.

Brilliant cast and performances and a thrilling (if sometimes preposterous) plot.

Now that I've finished series 3 I almost don't want to watch anymore as it seemed to end so nicely.

Season 4 was fantastic too and has recently been added to Netflix if it's not part of your DVD collection, @BAIN123

They've nearly wrapped filming on Season 5, so you're catching up in good time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Just restarted my X-Filathon which has been on a hiatus for about a year.
    8f6f997c3744a43a2871c6f602a279ba.jpg

Which season are you on? Have only seen the two X-Files films myself, and I've been meaning to give the series a watch. Gillian Anderson would be a great Bond girl, wouldn't she!

Season 4 was fantastic too and has recently been added to Netflix if it's not part of your DVD collection, @BAIN123

They've nearly wrapped filming on Season 5, so you're catching up in good time.

I might give it a month or so breather and watch series 4.

Probably the most addictive series since Breaking Bad for me.

Which season are you on? Have only seen the two X-Files films myself, and I've been meaning to give the series a watch. Gillian Anderson would be a great Bond girl, wouldn't she!

Season 4. Saw them all before, but it s been a while.

Do you recommend it? How does the series compare with the films?

The series is much more varied. It has its highs and lows. I do recommend it if you like that kind of show, delving into the bizarre.

The series is much more varied. It has its highs and lows. I do recommend it if you like that kind of show, delving into the bizarre.

Might just be up for that kind of show! If only I could find a streaming service that has X-Files…
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I just finished series 2 of Babylon Berlin. Let me just say - wow! Excellent actors, even in small roles, and I would not be surprised at all if someone like actor Peter Kurth appeared in a Bond film.

75c7a9c05263c8f9ff51695c5bd0049a.jpg

I don't want to spoil anything, but the last 2 episodes have a lot of plot and action elements usually expected from the Bond franchise, but set in the 1920s.

Thoroughly enjoyed both seasons, so refreshingly different and I believe a 3rd season is on the way.

The recreating of the period, the acting and all aspects came together to present a series worth of both my Wife and mines time, totally agree thoroughly recommended.

Peter Kurth would be most welcome in a future Bond film, same vibe as you get from Jesper.

Totally agree, considering all the fuss around the very good but overall overated Bodyguard, Line of Duty is the real must watch from Jed Mercurio.

Also like you my Wife and I have only seen 3 series as well, we are due to delve into S4 very soon where I believe the threads of the previous 3 series do carry on.

S3 was for me the best so far although they have followed each other beautifully, the cast have been fantastic and the overall arc effectively achieved. That incredibly tense and exciting climax at least for the both of us came out of nowhere and yes the story did seem to conclude there but I can see opportunitys to continue it from there.

We were waiting for S4 to drop onto Netflix where we saw the previous 3 and not it has we can't wait to get started on it.

Trust 2018

We got stuck into Trust last Sunday and finished it this Thursday just gone. Well it's a fascinating subject and quite massive production, although some scissors could have been applied.

It did drag out longer that my Wife and I felt it needed to, 8 episodes would have been enough. Also the obvious Bond connection, at one time possible Bond director Danny Boyle is at the helm and also directs 3 episodes.

That being said, some great performances and it's great to see Brendan Fraser given a role worthy of his talents. Always thought from the moment I saw him in Gods & Monster alongs side Ian McKellan there was a more than competent character actor waiting to break out from that poster boy like persona he was know for.

Some years under his belt and some time in wilderness as done wonders for him and his Fletcher Chase was an undoubted highlight of the show. In fact all the cast equipped themselves well, Hilary Swank and Harrison Dickinson as Gail Getty and J Paul Getty III are stand outs

I'm not sure how Christopher Plumber figured as J Paul Getty in Ridley Scott's All The Money In The World, although I can imagine Donald Sutherland is at an advantage having a 10 episode arc to display his version. I'd be surprised as talented actor Plumber who swiftly replaced Kevin Spacey in the role could top Sutherlands reading of the role.

It's quite an extraordinary performance and one that Donald no doubt jumped at the opportunity. My gripes about it's length aside this true story at times makes you slap your head with disbelief due to the stakes and also the risks taken by J Paul Getty in regards to his grandsons welfare, it makes for fascinating viewing.

Though I imagine there is dramtic licence here as there always is, I wouldn't be surprised if the most wildly unbelievable moments are pretty much verbatim to what happened. Comes recommended but as I said with reservations, although worth to see Sutherland play one of the most complex, fascinating and reprehensible figures in history.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I still need to catch up on the most recent season, I missed a few of the early episodes so abandoned it with the intention to watch it from episode 1 again.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,327
    DlOF_xYXcAA2C9x.jpg

Watching this incredible series in UHD, the IMAX cinematography is amazing.
    Considering all the hype Bodyguard got and yes it was very entertaining, BBC's Informer seemed to stay under the radar in comparison. Well for me and my Wife it was considerbly superior in all departments.

I mean how does Richard Madden compare with Paddy Considine? The man is an acting masterclass and he doesn't disappoint here as Gabe Waters, also Nabhaan Rizwan is extraordinary for his very first TV gig as the title character Raza Shar.

Thrilling from beginning to end and no drop off or slap your head is disbelief moments like Jed Mercurio's over hyped follow up to the superior Line Of Duty. A Strong, suspenseful, intelligent,sobering and brilliantly acted drama.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7161312/?ref_=nv_sr_2
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    @Shardlake , out of curiosity: Is Babylon Berlin dubbed in English or do you watch with subtitles?
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Damn, totally forgot to give Babylon Berlin a watch when it was on TV. Luckily it's still available via streaming.
    Starting watching the PBS documentary "The Vietnam War" the first episode is already an eye opener on the origins of this conflict that cost so many people their lives and sanity.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Starting watching the PBS documentary "The Vietnam War" the first episode is already an eye opener on the origins of this conflict that cost so many people their lives and sanity.

Can't go wrong with Ken Burns, he's a brilliant filmmaker.
    And he tells a fascinating story so far that has never been this openly shared about the story about this conflict.
    @Shardlake , out of curiosity: Is Babylon Berlin dubbed in English or do you watch with subtitles?

Watch it with subtitles, wouldn't even contemplate dubbing, so off putting.
    Shardlake wrote: »

Watch it with subtitles, wouldn't even contemplate dubbing, so off putting.

Dubbing's a no go for me. If something is dubbed, I won't waste my time.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Homecoming (2018)
    rf0kdfI.jpg
    I decided to make use of my Prime membership and took in Amazon's new psychological thriller, directed by Sam Esmail and starring Julia Roberts. It's an interesting show. Each episode is 30 minutes, which makes it easy to get through. Roberts plays psychologist Heidi Bergman, who works at a government facility ostensibly helping soldiers recover from PTSD and get back to normal life. Some years later, after she has left the facility, she is visited by a dogged Defense Dept. auditor (Shea Whigham). His questions about her past and work at the facility raise questions about its true purpose and her role there. The show unfolds slowly like a mystery puzzle, with a fair amount of timeline shifting between the present and past. It's more focused on the impact of events on the characters rather than on the plot itself, and it's a testament to Roberts, Whigham and co-stars Bobby Carnavale & Sissy Spacek that the viewer remains engrossed as things progress. There is a prevailing feeling of claustrophobic uneasiness and paranoia here, accentuated by a wonderful eclectic score which directly samples from classic thrillers such as Klute, Dressed to Kill, The Parallax View, Carrie, The Thing, All The President's Men, Body Heat and The Eiger Sanction among others. They don't make film music like they used to, that's for sure. Recommended.
    Thank you @bondjames, I'll have to check that out. I've seen nothing of the show past a generic plotline; I dig your description of it, particularly the uneasiness and paranoia and dread, and having a really great score mixed with Whigham as a lead role has sold me on it. I'll give it a watch whenever I have the proper opportunity!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Great @Creasy47. I hope you enjoy it. I often get a bit concerned that I may have oversold something, and so I'll just let you know that it is a slow moving story with a lot of shifting timelines. It's probably not for everyone, but it drew me in. Whigham is not a major player in it, but he is superb, as is Carnavale (as always) and Roberts. Looking forward to reading what you think of it.

The score is excellent. I didn't initially recognize the music but thought it was very retro, so I did a search and realized that Esmail actually paid royalties to use the exact music from classics in the film (it's not recreated). In one episode we get the excellent main riff from David Shire's All The President's Men as well as Barry's Body Heat. Can't get better than that!
    I don't mind a slow burn if the atmosphere is solid and the pay off is worth it. It's got quite the cast to it, I think that'll definitely deliver for me. I'm looking forward to checking it out eventually.
    Considering all the hype Bodyguard got and yes it was very entertaining, BBC's Informer seemed to stay under the radar in comparison. Well for me and my Wife it was considerbly superior in all departments.

I mean how does Richard Madden compare with Paddy Considine? The man is an acting masterclass and he doesn't disappoint here as Gabe Waters, also Nabhaan Rizwan is extraordinary for his very first TV gig as the title character Raza Shar.

Thrilling from beginning to end and no drop off or slap your head is disbelief moments like Jed Mercurio's over hyped follow up to the superior Line Of Duty. A Strong, suspenseful, intelligent,sobering and brilliantly acted drama.

I found Richard Madden to be quite ok in Bodyguard, but Paddy Considine was something else. Totally believable as either character. Wonderfully grey living on the borderline of good and evil. Would be great if they could find a place for him in a Bond.

We just finished watching Informer and thought it was the best mini series we'd seen this year.
    vzok wrote: »

I found Richard Madden to be quite ok in Bodyguard, but Paddy Considine was something else. Totally believable as either character. Wonderfully grey living on the borderline of good and evil. Would be great if they could find a place for him in a Bond.

We just finished watching Informer and thought it was the best mini series we'd seen this year.

Considine would be incredible in a Bond film, not sure it would be his thing though.

He's quite a versatile performer though so maybe, to go from these more hard hitting roles to then appear in Hot Fuzz and also be a gifted comedy performer.

He's most likely the closest we've got to De Niro in a lot of ways, also a talented director to boot, always worth seeing on the big or small screen.

• edited December 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Would be fantastic if Paddy Considine was cast as a Bond villain.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Considine is one of Britain's great gems. He's a stellar actor, a great writer and a great director.

If not for my sheer nostalgia fuelled enjoyment of Creed II, Journeyman would be the best boxing film of the year.