'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    'An Adventure In Space And Time ' Casting Announced

As part of the BBC’s blockbuster celebrations to mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, David Bradley (Harry Potter) is set to play the first ever Doctor, the iconic William Hartnell in the BBC Two drama ‘An Adventure in Space and Time’.

‘An Adventure in Space and Time' will tell the story of the genesis of Doctor Who - first aired on 23 November 1963 - and the many personalities involved. The BBC’s Head of Drama Sydney Newman, credited with the creation of the show, will be portrayed by Brian Cox (The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Identity) and the producer, Verity Lambert, by ‘Call the Midwife’ star Jessica Raine. The director of the first ever episode, ‘An Unearthly Child’, Waris Hussein, will be played by Sacha Dhawan (History Boys, Last Tango In Halifax).

More <a href="http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/#An-Adventure-In-Time-And-Space-Casting-Announced">here.</a>;

Also...

tumblr_mc9ebkpEjI1rii545o1_500.gif

Why? Well, this arrived in the post this morning:

dw-unit-dominionslipcase3d_cover_large.jpg

Oh yeah. B-)
    I did some purchase of my own lately: the two Dalek movies with Peter Cushing, the Legacy Collection, The Reign of Terror and Series 6. Now to find the time to watch all that.

BTW, no news on who will play William Russell, Jacqueline Hill and Carole-Ann Ford ?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Having listened to Unit Dominon, I must now proclaim it to be my favourite McCoy audio. Previously, my favourite was The Death Collectors. I want more Raine, but may have to wait for it, with this years 3 7th Doctor audios feauting Klein as the companion and after that it'll probably be the 7th Doctor, Ace & Hex.
    The Other Doctor was actually the Master all along. I did not see that coming. I completely bought into McQueen being the Doctor, albeit a few regenerations down the line.

• Cool collectable but very expensive. Hope there will be many affordable 50th Aniversary items available.
    I've not heard of Big Chief Studios until now, but £150 (give or take some) is about the going rate for 1:6 figures from the big boys in the industry, such as Hot Toys. I wouldn't buy all the Doctors, McCoy is a given, and at £150 a pop, i'd have to consider getting Troughton too.

There are a number of celebratory audios in the pipeline.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I've just started watching series 7 on DVD (didn't bother watching it on TV because I really didn't like series 6 very much apart from one or two of the stand alone episodes like the one with James Corden).

Loved the Dalek one, wasn't a huge fan of the dinasours one, I enjoyed the western one (cowboys and aliens done right, unlike the movie with Ford and Craig) and I also liked the one with the cubes.

Haven't seen the last episode yet but I really like the Weeping Angels so I should enjoy it.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 3,333
    I have to say that David Bradley (below), best known in geek circles as Game of Thrones' Walder Frey, Harry Potter's Argus Filch, is a good choice to play William Hartnell in forthcoming Who docudrama, An Adventure In Time and Space. Gattis has a canny eye for casting look-a-likes, see below...

david_bradley_william_hartnell_0.jpg
    David Bradley as William Hartnell

sidney_newman.jpg
    Brian Cox as Sidney Newman

verity_lambert.jpg
    In the role of producer Verity Lambert will be Call The Midwife's Jessica Raine

waris_hussein.jpg
    Playing An Unearthly Child director Waris Hussein, will be Sacha Dhawan

This could be very enjoyable indeed.
  • bondsum wrote:
    I have to say that David Bradley (below), best known in geek circles as Game of Thrones' Walder Frey, Harry Potter's Argus Filch, is a good choice to play William Hartnell in forthcoming Who docudrama, An Adventure In Time and Space. Gattis has a canny eye for casting look-a-likes, see below...

david_bradley_william_hartnell_0.jpg
    David Bradley as William Hartnell

sidney_newman.jpg
    Brian Cox as Sidney Newman

verity_lambert.jpg
    In the role of producer Verity Lambert will be Call The Midwife's Jessica Raine

waris_hussein.jpg
    Playing An Unearthly Child director
    Waris Hussein, will be Sacha Dhawan

This could be very enjoyable indeed.

Agree, it is shaping up to be a great event. Can't wait to watch it. What else will be in store for Dr Who itself? Only time will tell.
    Time Lord's half-centenary will be celebrated with special screenings in 3D in cinemas and on BBC HD channel.

Doctor Who will celebrate its half centenary with a special birthday edition on 23 November, exactly 50 years after its first ever adventure, An Unearthly Child, starring William Hartnell in the title role. Viewers will be able to see the 3D version on the BBC HD channel.

The BBC's controller of drama commissioning Ben Stephenson said on Monday the anniversary of the time-travelling show would be a national event and compared it to the Queen's diamond jubilee and the Olympics.

Doctor Who's executive producer and lead writer, Steven Moffat, said: "It's about time. Technology has finally caught up with Doctor Who and your television is now bigger on the inside. A whole new dimension of adventure for the Doctor to explore."

Stephenson revealed details of the 50th-anniversary show along with a new drama slate that will include a new BBC1 Saturday teatime fantasy adventure, Atlantis.

"It's a nationwide celebration of both Doctor Who and the BBC because I think they are so synonymous. We will be doing a big Doctor Who special in 3D which is very exciting and feels very innovative," he said.

"We will be doing it on cinema screens as well. We are working out the logistics of that at the moment because we need to make sure the main BBC1 experience remains absolute value for money for the audience."

There has been no shortage of speculation about the content of the 50th-birthday show, and whether it will see a reunion of previous doctors. Tom Baker memorably declined to appear in the 20th-anniversary special, the Five Doctors, and three of the 11 actors to have played the role are now dead.

Moffat is still working on the script for the show which will be filmed, like most of the series, in south Wales, and will follow an eight-part run of Doctor Who.

Stephenson said: "There will be lots of aliens and daleks and things like that – or maybe there won't. There are many different things to take into account and we will also have a Christmas special after that and it all connects. Or maybe it doesn't. There's lots to work out.

"It's that thing of, how do you make individual programmes more than the sum of their parts? The Doctor Who 50th is a bit like when we did EastEnders' 25th; it is more than just a programme, we have all had a relationship to it.

"Ninety per cent of the British public know about Doctor Who and have a personal connection to it. Most people have their own Doctor Who. It's drawing on that nostalgia to say something bigger about the BBC and its values."

The BBC will also mark the event with a BBC2 drama about the beginnings of the show, An Adventure in Space and Time, scripted by Mark Gattis and featuring David Bradley as the late Hartnell.

The BBC is no stranger to the big screen through its film-making arm, BBC Films, but it is unusual if not unprecedented for TV shows to be given a cinema release – natural history epic The Blue Planet among them.

It is not the first BBC drama to be filmed in 3D – that honour goes to its Christmas adaptation of David Walliams' children's book, Mr Stink – but it will be the biggest, said Stephenson.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/feb/11/doctor-who-3d-50th-birthday
    David Bradley is an excellent choice
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Bit late with this but I only found it today.

http://screenrant.com/torchwood-season-5-limbo/

Is there any point making a series 5 now? Half the characters are dead and I don't really want the Americans to return (excluding Jack).

I wouldn't mind another normal series with a new cast but I don't want another big story stretched across a few hour long episodes.

Funny how this show progressed. It went from a fun Welsh Doctor Who spin off with sex, violence and swearing where everybody was bisexual, to a great action sci fi drama minseries, and finally to a watchable but eventually boring Americanised series.
  • Bit late with this but I only found it today.

http://screenrant.com/torchwood-season-5-limbo/

Is there any point making a series 5 now? Half the characters are dead and I don't really want the Americans to return (excluding Jack).

I wouldn't mind another normal series with a new cast but I don't want another big story stretched across a few hour long episodes.

Funny how this show progressed. It went from a fun Welsh Doctor Who spin off with sex, violence and swearing where everybody was bisexual, to a great action sci fi drama minseries, and finally to a watchable but eventually boring Americanised series.

I always thought that Children of Earth was the high point of Torchwood. I mean, it's really hard to rebound a series when you already killed of half your original team and your main character was in exile. Plus, it was arguably the best writing that RTD had since Doctor Who season 1. Miracle Day was a failure to begin with.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    RTD did say when Miracle Day ended he was thinking of passing Torchwood onto someone else, but later backtracked and said he'd rather do it himself and couldn't bare anyone other than him handling it. He said he had "one final story, with Gwen at the centre of it". I'd love to see that final series but as time goes on, it's less and less likely.

At least it got better from one, to two, then finally peaked with Children Of Earth.
    The 10th Planet is coming to DVD, with the missing 4th episode to be animated:

The First Doctor’s final adventure The Tenth Planet is to have its lost fourth episode animated for DVD release, the BBC's official doctorwho.tv site has confirmed.

Teased yesterday at the Gallifrey One convention by Dan Hall, commissioning editor of the classic Doctor Who DVD range, The Tenth Planet sees both the introduction of the menacing, dead-eyed Cybermen, and the departure of The First Doctor, William Hartnell. The final episode has been missing from the BBC Archives since the mid-1970s, and will be reconstructed using the same Thetamation process used to recreate The Reign of Terror episodes 4 and 5.

Dan Hall said:

"It’s a real thrill to be bringing such an iconic Doctor Who episode back to life. Without the events established in The Tenth Planet episode 4, there would be no Doctor Who as we know it!"

The release date is currently scheduled for Late 2013.

http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/#The-Tenth-Planet-Part-Four-To-Be-Animated-For-DVD-Release
  • The designer of the Daleks from the BBC's Doctor Who has died aged 84 after a short illness, his daughter has said.

Former BBC designer Ray Cusick died of heart failure in his sleep on Thurday.

RIP to a legend. The Daleks are one of the most famous and recognisable villians in Sci-Fi history and my personal favourites. Their appearance is both striking and menacing.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,894
    RIP to Ray Cusick. The Daleks are possibly the most well known Who villains, though I prefer the Cybermen.

And i'm a few days late about this, but Reece Sheersmith is to play Patrick Troughton in 'An Adventure In Time And Space':

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a459512/reece-shearsmith-to-play-patrick-troughton-in-doctor-who-50th-biopic.html
  • RIP to Ray Cusick. The Daeks are possibly the most well known Who villains, though I prefer the Cybermen.

And i'm a few days late about this, but Reece Sheersmith is to play Patrick Troughton in 'An Adventure In Time And Space':

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a459512/reece-shearsmith-to-play-patrick-troughton-in-doctor-who-50th-biopic.html

Good choice for the part. Knowing him from the League of Gentleman with Mark Gattis, I think he'll capture the enthusiasm and quirkiness of Trougton's Doctor.
    Here's a couple of shots from Mark Gattis' An Adventure In Time And Space...
    image-1_large.jpeg
    image-2_large.jpeg
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Looking good, these set better be reused in the series at some point...though I believe it's 'space and time' not the other way around. I'm sure it's been done so people will deliberately get it wrong. ;)
    I think Time and Space is the correct order, @Sam, as it's part of the TARDIS acronym - Time and Relative Dimension in Space. B-)
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Indeed but the upcoming program is called An Adventure in Space and Time, the other way around, like I said. Confusing!
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 3,333
    Indeed, @Sam. I've confused myself. Gattis needs to change it quickly.

PS. I'm actually looking forward to this more than I am the actual Dr Who episodes.
    The same mistake was made at the read through and Gattis had to put them right on day one. I like that it's different, makes it stand out.

I hope this is broadcast on BBC One and not 'downgraded' to BBC Two. I'd hate for that to happen, 50 years of Doctor Who and all. But I can't see the mass appeal and fear it will be the case. This after the special on the 23rd November would be a great night's viewing for some but not be enough people.
    It could even get relegated to BBC Four. Here's one more teaser pic...

image_large.jpeg
  • Those pics look great, really can't wait for this. Any idea when it will air?
    Those old photo's are superb! Keep them coming!
    I've just looked it up. An Adventure in Space and Time will air on BBC Two.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator