'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• In 24 hours time, Dr Who will be back on our screens in the UK, very excited! :)

Annoyed though that I will have to record it on Sky plus as I won't be home in time to watch it as it airs :(
    I may try iPlayer, but given that the streaming is probably going to mess things up, I will probably end up buying it on iTunes (yes, it will be on sale on the french iTunes the day after it airs in the UK. At least, the first half of the season, and The Snowmen, were. No reason for it to change.)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2013 Posts: 13,350
    David Tennant, Billie Piper and John Hurt are the first three members of the cast confirmed for the 50th anniversary. Filming begins on Monday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/DOCTOR-WHO-ANNOUNCES-ALL-STAR-CAST-FOR-50th-ANNIVERSARY
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Samuel001 wrote:
    David Tennant

I'd have preferred Eccleston.
    tonights episode was great fun and it seems that Rory & Amy are not yet forgotten.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    David Tennant

I'd have preferred Eccleston.

I would be very surprised to see him repeat the role, but would honestly enjoy it as well.

He has no obligation towards any Whovian but it would be a generous gesture on his part to participate in the celebrations of this iconic childrens series.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A good start to series 7.5, very techno thriller-ish. I was expecting new titles, but i'm not complaining, I rather like this funky title sequence.
    A good opening episode indeed. The next seven weeks should be great fun. I think we also have one of the best Doctor/Companion relationships on our hands.
    Indeed, Sam, indeed. Great episode all around, with a truly horrifying moment at the end (I thought the Cybermen were pretty horrifying, but they're children compared to Mr. GI). And there's even a possible explanation for Asylum of the Daleks, if you think about it. I loved every moment of it, from the "Sherlock" inspired beginning and nods to the appearnce of UNIT. Ten out of Ten, all around. And Jenna-Louise Coleman is shaping up to be one of the best companions ever.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Gerard wrote:
    Indeed, Sam, indeed. Jenna-Louise Coleman is shaping up to be one of the best companions ever.
    Yep. This is one flirty girl. Who calls the TARDIS a snog booth?
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 1,143
    Good start to the new set of episodes. I really like the new companion. Very good casting I have to say. I can see the chemistry between the leads already.
    Just watched it.

Not sure why they decided to use the same baddy twice in a row and I wasn't a fan of all the hacking BS but it was good overall. Jenna Louise Coleman is really good as Clara and she's quite fit too.

Bet you the "woman in the shop" was River Song.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Never really watched the old series so not sure if I should be excited or not. Are they good monsters?

Anyway, I don't think these will be the only villians in the special.

I reckon they'll slowly announce a bunch of old monsters leading up to the 50th. I think it'll be a big ensemble type thing.
    They were only ever in one story, Terror of the Zygons with Tom Baker but are great monsters with a lasting impression and after 38 years they're back. It's a very fine story too, a must watch.
    Could Nessie be far behind ?
    Enjoyable first episode back, Would love to see Ecclestone in the 50th anniversary special too!
    I thought they went overboard with the singing stuff but I enjoyed tonights episode. Lots of weird aliens, a space moped, lots of fun and some character development. Not much more you can ask for really is there.

I thought the opening bit with him reading the Beano looked really creepy. Loved the tardis getting all bitchy and I reckon Jenna Louise Coleman might be the fittest companion out of all of them (and that's a pretty big achievement, considering we'd had Billie Piper and the Scottish bird who played Amy before).
  • I thought they went overboard with the singing stuff but I enjoyed tonights episode. Lots of weird aliens, a space moped, lots of fun and some character development. Not much more you can ask for really is there.

I thought the opening bit with him reading the Beano looked really creepy. Loved the tardis getting all bitchy and I reckon Jenna Louise Coleman might be the fittest companion out of all of them (and that's a pretty big achievement, considering we'd had Billie Piper and the Scottish bird who played Amy before).

Also, a pretty good speech by Matt. Very reminiscent of Blade Runner.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,904
    Such a tranquil episode, you were waiting for something to happen. The Rings Of Akaten is my favourite episode of series 7. But next weeks episode looks like it could be even better.
    I reckon Jenna Louise Coleman might be the fittest companion out of all of them (and that's a pretty big achievement, considering we'd had Billie Piper and the Scottish bird who played Amy before).

I think Clara (Jenna-Louise Coleman) has more conservative style to Amy. And all the better for it. I also like the dynamic that starting to build between The Doctor & Clara:

Clara: I say leg it.
    The Doctor: Leg it where exactly?
    Clara: Don't know, the Lake District?
    The Doctor: Oh the lake District is lovely. Let's definitely go there, we can eat scones. They do great scones in the 1920's.
    It was solid enough, some may not be so keen but I thought as a "Clara's first trip" the episode worked well. I'd love for some of those aliens to reappear in their own episodes at a later date and what a speach by Matt at the end. Such a great Doctor. Next week's episode should be sublime, I expect great things.
    A few toughts:

This episode is why we wait impatiently for each of Murray Gold's season albums. (and kudos for the little girl).

Where can I find that book ?

The tree leaf is different from last episode.

Didn't know the Doctor was a fan of Dennis the Menace. Or of Indiana Jones.

But Clara must be a fan of Bewitched (two "Oh my stars!" in one episode).

And either Sexy is very jealous, or something else is going on.

Looking forward to the return of the Ice Warriors (yes, I saw The Caves of Peladon).
    Gerard wrote:
    Or of Indiana Jones.

Loved the Indy reference with him grabbing the screwdriver. I thought that was very nicely done.
  • Interesting episode. Is it just me though or was it quite surreal this outing?
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 5,832
    Good news: The Brigadier's Daughter will be back for the 50th anniversary special:

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/kate-stewart-returns-for-50th-anniversary-47089.htm

Oh, and wasn't the Doctor reading the Beano a reference to Peter Cushing reading Eagle in the first Dalek movie ?
    And I hope this isn't true:

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/mccoy-20th-century-doctors-not-involved-in-50th-47070.htm

It would be a shame if the past actors weren't involved, it is the 50th anniversary afterall. Imagine if 2012 had passed without any big celebration for Bond. Oh, wait...
  • And I hope this isn't true:

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/mccoy-20th-century-doctors-not-involved-in-50th-47070.htm

It would be a shame if the past actors weren't involved, it is the 50th anniversary afterall. Imagine if 2012 had passed without any big celebration for Bond. Oh, wait...

It will be a shame but I can see why they may struggle to write in a story to explain why the surviving classic doctors have become so old and in one case rather much larger, bless the wonderful Colin Baker!

When he was on Jonathon Ross not long ago Matt Smith said one thing about the 50th, which was "paintings"

I think that they'll have the other doctors trapped in paintings so they're included but aren't fatter or older. Or maybe it's just a background thing with paintings of all of them. Who knows.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Eccleston won't be part of it either, so it's just the two Doctor's as far as we know.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Eccleston won't be part of it either

Shame about that. Only reason I started watching the show was because he was in it and he's still my favourite. I'd love it if he came back.