'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• edited May 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I thought tonight's episode was a poor one.

The kids were (thankfully) not in it much but bloody hell the girl was annoying. The lad was alright, I guess. Not particularly memorable or likeable but not an annoying spoilt brat like his sister.

Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman were good as always. Smith did a good job with the whole dual personality thing. The Eccleston impression was a bit naff but other than that he was great as always.

Having a baddy that just slowly becomes immune to everything until you blow up the entire planet to kill it isn't a monster with much longevity. Saying that though I'll give credit where credit is due, they improved the cybermen. At least they were a threat instead of dull slow robots.

Shame because apart from this and the Dinosaur one, I don't think there's been a bad episode this season.

Best bit was the next time trailer. Really looking forward to the finale.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,894
    Even with the Cybermen, Nightmare In Cybermen was the weakest episode this series. Next weeks worries me, I must admit. I hope they wont go and delve too deeply into the Doctors secret(s), and go and loose the mystery of the character.

And I prefer the Cybermen as 'dull slow robots'. There's something far more creepy in that they don't need to rush around, they have all the time in the world to get you.
    Noticed that it's Richard E Grant again. Moffat does like that baddy doesn't he. 3 times in one (half of a) series.

The new monsters look creepy. Better henchmen than living snow and those weird wifi things for sure.
    I hope they wont go and delve too deeply into the Doctors secret(s), and go and loose the mystery of the character.

I don't think they would actually reveal his name. It'd take away the mystery from the character and it'd piss too many people off.

I think Clara or someone will find out but the audience won't.
    And I prefer the Cybermen as 'dull slow robots'. There's something far more creepy in that they don't need to rush around, they have all the time in the world to get you.

I thought they were creepier in this one actually. They didn't run around screaming "delete" and they weren't as loud and obvious when they marched. Something about their faces seemed creepier too, not sure what.

I think they've gone too far the other way with making them faster, since they can now freeze time and zoom forwards.

I don't want them to march slowly in perfect formation and I don't want them to teleport with a dodgy sound effect. I just want them to run, like humans do, and they were made from humans after all.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    For all the faults in this episode, there were some very nice ideas and scenes I thought. The ending and Matt Smith's acting impressed me the most. The chess was a nice touch too. The Cybermen are more of a threat now and the final episode should be one of the best in a long time.

We better enjoy it. Afterall, when it ends this will have been the longest run of episodes since 2010.
    The Cybermen are threatening again ! And very, very smart. Nightmare in Silver has become my favourite episode of the half season. Loved most of everything in it, except for one thing: Angie. And I have only four words to say about her:

Susan is back, alas !

But apart from that, great episode all around. Please, Mr. Gaiman, could we have some more ?

Next: the finale. BTW, may I ask people on this forum who might have gotten those infamous advance copies to not post any spoilers ? Pretty please ? Thank you.
    Cybermen much more scary again!
    Gerard wrote:
    may I ask people on this forum who might have gotten those infamous advance copies to not post any spoilers ? Pretty please ? Thank you.

I heard about that (people getting the DVD early). Apparently the BBC have promised to release a clip of the 50th as long as the spoilers don't end up everywhere.
    Just watched the finale on iplayer. That was brilliant. Definitely one of the best. Those new monsters were great and it tied everything up really well. Honestly can't think of any faults I found with it. Can't wait for the 50th special now.
    And I was right! Didn't expect to see John Hurt so early but I was right! Pretty proud of myself as normally when it comes to films and TV shows my theories are always wrong.
    Yeah, one of the best in a long time. Part 1 of the 50th really. Nothing but good things to say.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 5,812
    Haven't seen the episode yet (32 minutes to go until it's downloaded on iTunes). Looking forward to it.

But I had a thought: if they ever do a biopic about Laurel and Hardy, Matt Smith should play Stan Laurel.

EDIT: Seen it, loved it. Really one of the best season finales ever. And I will certainly use "Ah the little... Daleks !" Best quote of the episode. It will be hard to wait for november. But, between the DVDs I have (five classics from Planet of the Giants to The Web Planet - well, five and a half with The Crusades- ; season 6, Sja seasons 1 and 2 and Torchwood) and the airing of season 7 on France 4 (starting very soon), I think I'll manage.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Anyone reason why Doctors 8 to 10 weren't shown?

Overall, a decent end to this half series, which sets the stage for the 50th Anniversary special. The Wispermen (/Wisper Men), were weak monsters, though.
    Nine was shown. Twice. Once running past clara, once on the "tree of the Doctors" scene. And he was heard too, IIRC.
    Here's something to whet everyone's appetite:

We're in for long breaks now. After Christmas it will be another nine month wait going by when filming begins. At least Matt is keeping going, now the third longest serving Doctor!

The anniversary special should be quite something.
    Here's something to whet everyone's appetite:

They look like they are really enjoying themselves! Last episode was excellent!
    Wondering where John Hurts doctor fits in, order wise. Lots of people seem to think that he's between 8 and 9 and he's been forgotten because of the war but in past episodes the doctor seemed to believe that blowing up his planet and all the daleks was the right decision so why would he keep the doctor that did that a secret?

I think he's the real first doctor and whatever he did is the reason that he ran away in the first place.
    /\ If that is the case? Timelords only regenerate 12 times? So is Matt Smith the final incarnation?
    They regenerate 12 times, so 13 incarnations. There is one more after Matt if he is now the 12th Doctor.
    Ah? Will be interesting to see what happens once that happens in the future?
    I can't see them suddenly creating a full doctor that we've not seen before. Hartnell was the 1st, Troughton the 2nd and so on to Smith the 11th. If I were a betting man, i'd put my money on Hurt being more like the Valeyard.
    He was mentioned in the last episode, so maybe more along those lines. Omega perhaps?
    Or a result of the Great Intelligence perhaps?
    I think Hurt, real doctor or not, will be someone we've never seen before. I don't think they'd hype it up as a big secret only to reveal him as a returning villain.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    There is one more after Matt if he is now the 12th Doctor.

I don't think they'll stick to that rule. Ratings are still good and I bet the show shifts tons of merchandise.

They'll come up with something to avoid ending the show. Or maybe even just ignore the rule altogether.
    Moffat has already said when the time comes they'll make something up. The series won't end any time soon, thankfully.
    Great final episode which really sets it up to what I hope will be a truly epic Aniversary special. November is a very long time away.
    I think the clue to who John Hurt is in the fact he chose another name. Which the Doctor mentions. Hurt can only be one person for me.
    Roger Moore in Sherlock or Doctor Who?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a485061/roger-moore-wants-doctor-who-sherlock-roles.html

If we followed tradition then he'd be a baddy in Doctor Who as Tim Dalton, Dianna Rigg and Steven Berkoff all were.

Anybody who's read the books, can you think of a good part for Moore in Sherlock?
    I've just seen this and oh, yes please! You know what, there could be a chance of it happening too. Another Bond actor in Doctor Who is no bad thing.
    There is a question to put to him when he does his "Evenings with?!" :-bd
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,894
    I can't speak about Sherlock, as I no interest in that show, but I wouldn't have a problem with Moore popping up in Doctor Who. He'd be the latest in an ever growing list of Bond-Doctor Who connections, following the likes of: Timothy Dalton, Maryam D'Abo*, Diana Rigg, Steven Berkoff, Bernard Horsfall & Honor Blackman.

* Ok, so it was an audio book, but still a connection.