'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Since it is the fiftieth anniversary I have been ploughing through the classic episodes, from the very beginning, and it is fascinating to see how the programme, and indeed, the character and back story of 'The Doctor' develops over the years.

I have been completely blown away by one actor in particular, and have come to the conclusion, that although, like Bond, each incarnation brings something to the table, that I heartily agree with Colin Baker, Peter Davison and Matt Smith - Patrick Troughton is my favourite, too.

Troughton's influence on Smith is quite noticeable (apparently Matt Smith, when preparing for the role, watched 'Tomb of the Cybermen', and excitedly rang Moffat, in a state of some gush over it) and I love the daring way he approached replacing William Hartnell, when it was far from certain that the show could continue without its first star. The cranky Edwardian-style 'grandfather' had been replaced by the often impish 'Cosmic Hobo' and it worked magnificently. The regeneration (or 'renewal' as it was at this stage) had worked. Doctor Who would, after all, survive.

In later years whenever Troughton appeared in multi-doctor stories (The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, and The Two Doctors) it is hard to take your eyes off him when he is on screen.

I am a great admirer of many of the incarnations, but, my giddy aunt, I believe that the first man to wield a sonic screwdriver, and the first to offer a jelly baby, was probably the finest actor ever to 'pilot' the TARDIS. Am hoping for a tiny Troughton reference at some point in the anniversary show.

"You can't kill me! I'm a genius!"

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,894
    I can understand Smith's feelings, Troughton is my second favourite Doctor. Though my favourite Troughton story is The Invasion, with Tombs Of The Cybermen following at a close second (the Cybermen are my favourite Doctor Who monster).

I got a The Haunting / The Innkeepers vibe (before the reveal) from Hide. Great story, and with a sprinkling of references to past stories.
    "This is not a horror-story this is a ............ lovestory."

A great moodpiece that did terrify my daugthers, watching from behind a pillow. (all is still as it is supposed to be )
  • samainsysamainsy Suspended
    Tonights episode was a bad episode,I thought it had Slender in it,really bad.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Another great one tonight though I'm annoyed Smith didn't have the correct pronunciation of the planet Metebelis III. A spooky ghost story with a twist, really well done.

Next week, we're going back inside the TARDIS. :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    So many references in tonight's episode. :D I spent most of the episode rewinding.
  • Did anyone see the umbrella?! :D
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,350
    As great as the nods, winks and seeing more of the TARDIS again was - though we could have been shown far more (the swimming pool was better in The Invasion Of Time!) - the story and episode as a whole felt like a letdown to me and I don't like saying that.
    I thought it was better than last weeks but not as good as the Ice Warrior one from two weeks ago.

Looking forward to next weeks one. Mark Gatiss has written it, the lesbian detectives are back and Dianna Rigg is in it.
    Did anyone see the umbrella?! :D

Oh yes. It wasn't the obvious umbrella choice, but i'll settle for a Paradise Towers reference. And hasn't the Eye Of Harmony changed? ;)
    I thought it was better than last weeks but not as good as the Ice Warrior one from two weeks ago.

Looking forward to next weeks one. Mark Gatiss has written it, the lesbian detectives are back and Dianna Rigg is in it.

One of them is a lizard humanoid and you fixate on the Lesbian part??? You must be American. :D

• edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    SaintMark wrote:

One of them is a lizard humanoid and you fixate on the Lesbian part??? You must be American. :D

English actually. I didn't want to type out "the detective lizard woman and her wife Jenny" so I just typed "the lesbian detectives" instead. Sue me.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 7,653
    SaintMark wrote:

English actually. I didn't want to type out "the detective lizard woman and her wife Jenny" so I just typed "the lesbian detectives" instead. Sue me.

That sueing people business would be absolutely American, old chap. ;) O:-)

AND detective lizard women are cool.

• Really enjoyed the 'inside the tardis' episode. It was good to explore the interior once more. I also like that the tardis has a seemingly living aspect of its own.
    Prepare yourself to scream at the mention of a stewardess:

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-crimson-horror-2nd-clip-48563.htm

And regarding "Journey" :

GREGOR VAN BAALEN IS A COMPLETE BASTARD !

No, really, that's no way to treat your brother. Really no.

Apart from that, I liked it, but it wasn't as good as Bells, Hide, or Cold War.

It would be interesting to know which name Clara read in that book. Judging from her recognizing it, it might be a famous name on Earth. Maybe....

Merlin ?
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 5,812
    BTW, last saturday, I took part in the "City of Death" tour, a visit of various places in Paris used in filming the famous story. Very intersting. We even got to see the Conciergerie prison from "Reign of Terror", and learning that, the way it was filmed, the Doctor would have been in the middle of the Seine to see it that way. Not to mention that incident with Tom Baker and the alarm at the art gallery...

And here's a clip showing that Catrin Stewart is the new Diana Rigg. Baritsu, anyone ?

• edited May 2013 Posts: 12,837
    0:14, did the sonic screwdriver just get a boner?
    For an episode so Doctor and Clara light, we're going to be spending it with three of the best characters. No wonder this episode has been dubbed the "most enjoyable" of the series so far.
    Diana Rigg who you knew from On her Majesty Secret Service & The Avengers who starred opposite to A View to Kill Patrick McNee. Well at last she make an Appearance the latest episodes The Crimson of Horror. Late Gareth Hunt who later starred with Joanne Lumley & Patrick McNee in The New Avengers before that he did appearance in Jon Pertwee final episode The Planet of the Spiders. Late Roy Cushing the unofficial Dr.Who did the first appearance in that Series in The new Avengers
    Agent7F wrote:
    Late Roy Cushing the unofficial Dr.Who did the first appearance in that Series in The new Avengers

Wouldn't that be Peter Cushing ? And he also was in the old Avengers series ("Return of the Cybernauts", to be precise). But there are a lot of connections between Bond and the british TV series of old (such as Catherine Schell, who appeared in OHMSS, The Adventurer, Space 1999, and Doctor Who -"City of Death").

Really enjoyed that one. Definitely one of the best I've seen. Doctor Who meets Moonraker (film not novel).

I thought the monster looked a bit crap and the fainting gag was used one too many times but I did enjoy it. Dianna Rigg and her daughter were brilliant.

I didn't like the bit at the end though (how and why were those pictures taken? How out of the millions of images on google did those kids happen to come across them?).

I don't like the cybermen (they look like generic robots and they're too slow to seem like a threat imo) and I don't like those kids (I know it's hard to find good child actors but was there nobody less annoying?), so I'm not looking forward to next weeks episode very much.

Warrick Davies is in it apparently and I don't think there's been a bad episode this series but I'm not really excited for it. I'd rather skip it and go straight to the finale.
    Neil Gaiman should pull through, he knows how to write.

Tonight's was pure fun, so much so I'm going to watch it again. Gothic horror is a theme that should reappear. The Doctor likes Jenny, so the gang better be back soon. Oh wait, they are! :D
    Going by the trailer & the synopsis, I was expecting The Crimson Horror to be a letdown, it wasn't. It also isn't the best of series 7.5, but still better than series 7.0 and series 6. Overall, it was ok, a step closer to the finale.

Next week we have the Cybermen. =D> But I thought they were being redesigned. They look the same as they have been in previous 2005- stories.
    They are different. Compare the two, the face is more '60's inspired and the body work has also been given a tweak. These aren't the parallel universe Cybermen, they're from Mondas.
    Another thing I liked that I forgot to mention: the satnav gag. I thought that was clever.

Notice how at 0:17, it's the design they've been using up until now. And then there's the saviour of the cybermen line.

So I reckon that the cybermen are almost extinct apart from those two (and maybe a few more), but the doctor is going to accidentally help them create a new army (with a new design).
    Hmm... well that chest part is different. We'll have a better look next week.

@thelivingroyale - Sort of like the Progenitor in Victory Of The Daleks?
    @thelivingroyale - Sort of like the Progenitor in Victory Of The Daleks?

Like that yeah, except luckily the redesign this time seems to be a good one (unlike the multi coloured daleks imo).
    This is speculation but it could be considered a spoiler so if you're dead set on going in completely blind, don't read this.

Just seen a picture of John Hurt in the 50th and I noticed something.

dw-50th-location-johnhurt.jpg

He has a leather jacket like Eccleston, but also old timey clothes underneath, like McGann. Also today, I read this.

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/john-hurt-part-doctor-trinity-131859755.html

So is he some weird mix of the two doctors?
    I don't see any of the 8th or 9th Doctor there. Though the thought of Hurt as a Doctor (an nth Doctor maybe), is intriguing.
    Interesting developments with the Hurt character. Shame Eccleston couldn't agree to accept an invite to come back for a one off. I prefer his successors but still enjoyed his interpretation of the character.