'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

who_2495721b.jpg

The first episode, The Bells of St John, marks the official introduction of the Doctor's newest companion, Clara Oswald. Played by Jenna-Louise Coleman, Oswald made two appearances last year, but will star alongside Matt Smith as Doctor Who throughout this series.

The Bells of St John will also feature new nemesis, the Spoonheads, who will battle the Doctor as he discovers something sinister in London's wi-fi. Moffat said new Cybermen and Ice Warriors would also appear in series eight.

While The Bells of St John is set in modern-day London, Moffat promised new adventures for Doctor Who: "We're up in the sky and under the sea! We're running round the rings of an alien world and then a haunted house. And there's a never before attempted journey to the centre of the TARDIS."

The series starts on BBC One on 30 March.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Gerard wrote:

It's about time we had more Troughton on DVD. =D>
    bondsum wrote:
    who_2495721b.jpg

The first episode, The Bells of St John, marks the official introduction of the Doctor's newest companion, Clara Oswald. Played by Jenna-Louise Coleman, Oswald made two appearances last year, but will star alongside Matt Smith as Doctor Who throughout this series.

The Bells of St John will also feature new nemesis, the Spoonheads, who will battle the Doctor as he discovers something sinister in London's wi-fi. Moffat said new Cybermen and Ice Warriors would also appear in series eight.

While The Bells of St John is set in modern-day London, Moffat promised new adventures for Doctor Who: "We're up in the sky and under the sea! We're running round the rings of an alien world and then a haunted house. And there's a never before attempted journey to the centre of the TARDIS."

The series starts on BBC One on 30 March.

Superb! Roll on March 30th!!!! :-bd
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Can't wait for this, hopefully a trailer is a week or two away.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Can't wait for this, hopefully a trailer is a week or two away.

Maybe this weekend i reckon seeing as we are now in March?!
    Next weekend will be three weeks away, so I think that's when advertising will begin. The week after is Comic Relief, so we may get something then too.
  • "Starts 30th March" Music to my ears! Can't wait. I have the feeling the new companion will be a firm favourite too.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 3,333
    Who wants to see the new Ice Warrior? I've got a nice reveal of what one looks like with a full-on body shot. Notice that the crab-like pincers have been replaced with humanoid hands....

doctor-who-new-ice-warrior-2_large.jpg
    They look great, very faithful to the original design. Now, let's hope they are used well in the story.
    bondsum wrote:
    Who wants to see the new Ice Warrior? I've got a nice reveal of what one looks like with a full-on body shot. Notice that the crab-like pincers have been replaced with humanoid hands....

doctor-who-new-ice-warrior-2_large.jpg

:O Awesome! Is it me or does the face remind anyone else of Judge Dredd?!!! ;))
    Images from the first four adventures:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/galleries/p015xzmf
    Samuel001 wrote:
    They look great, very faithful to the original design. Now, let's hope they are used well in the story.
    I believe the Ice Warrior story is set on a submarine which is already different to anything they've done before. Let's hope it's a good one.
    New trailer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p016dy23

The Doctor's back in two weeks but next week there is a Doctor Who, Pointless special.
    There's that too:

Prequel to next weeks episode.

That was just brilliant, the sting in the tail. O:-)

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2013 Posts: 13,894
    Indeed, a nice little twist at the end. Only a week to go. :)

Peter Jackson is still keen to direct an episode of Doctor Who...
    http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/#Peter-Jackson-Still-Keen-To-Direct-Doctor-Who-Episode
    Oh, yeah! A week to go now! :)

That was good, i do hope the writing improves, felt since season six (Matt Smiths second season) the quality in writing has dropped. The writing in recent episodes seems to have taken a back seat, with more emphasis spectacle. Doctor who is at its best for me when the writing is good.
    That was good, i do hope the writing improves, felt since season six (Matt Smiths second season) the quality in writing has dropped. The writing in recent episodes seems to have taken a back seat, with more emphasis spectacle. Doctor who is at its best for me when the writing is good.

That's how I feel about series 6 as well. But it looks like we could be in for some cracking stories for this second half of series 7. The Bells Of St John & Cold War sound like standout episodes.

That's how I feel about series 6 as well. But it looks like we could be in for some cracking stories for this second half of series 7. The Bells Of St John & Cold War sound like standout episodes.

Season five was excellent, i know its difficult to maintain a high standard. Will be open minded about the remainder of season 7. I do prefer a overall story arc in favour of movie of the week format. I appreciate to extend his tenure Moffat has mixed it up this season. Hope Moffat regains some form.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 1,143
    One week to go. Finally it's almost almost here and about blooming time! Really looking forward to learning about the new companion and what she's all about.
    Series 5 did have a lot of stories I liked: The Eleventh Hour, The Beast Below, Victory Of The Daleks, Vampires In Venice & Vincent And The Doctor were my favourites. The Time Of Angels, Flesh And Stone, Amy's Choice, The Hungry Earth, Cold Blood, The Pandorica Opens & The Big Bang were ok. The Lodger was the only one I didn't like (I can't stand that fat motormouth, James Corden).

As for Smith himself, I think he's been nothing shot of fantastic in every episode so far.
  • Agree wholeheartedly about Smith. He truly is a star and a brilliant incarnation of the Doctor. I hope he does at least another two series after this one.
    Series 5 did have a lot of stories I liked: The Eleventh Hour, The Beast Below, Victory Of The Daleks, Vampires In Venice & Vincent And The Doctor were my favourites. The Time Of Angels, Flesh And Stone, Amy's Choice, The Hungry Earth, Cold Blood, The Pandorica Opens & The Big Bang were ok. The Lodger was the only one I didn't like (I can't stand that fat motormouth, James Corden).

As for Smith himself, I think he's been nothing shot of fantastic in every episode so far.

Up there with the best doctors for sure, i agree the Lodger was the weakest episode of season 5 for me, i can't tolerate Corden either lol
    @ myworldisenough, hope Smith stays beyond Moffat, think there is more to come from Smith. Would love to see a new head writer of the show, during Smiths tenure.
    Agree wholeheartedly about Smith. He truly is a star and a brilliant incarnation of the Doctor. I hope he does at least another two series after this one.

I think we'll have another series from Smith, but as much as I want it to happen, i'm going to assume we won't have another beyond that.
    Up there with the best doctors for sure, i agree the Lodger was the weakest episode of season 5 for me, i can't tolerate Corden either lol

Good to hear that i'm not alone about about Corden. =D> As for Smith, he's my 3rd favourite Doctor behind McCoy and Troughton.
  • Agree @fire_and_ice, Smith is the brightest thing about Dr Who right now and I hope he stays beyond Moffat. Like others have said about the writing, a new head writer would be good.
    I thought The Lodger was fun. I liked the football bit especially, that was funny.