'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Eccleston won't be part of it either

Shame about that. Only reason I started watching the show was because he was in it and he's still my favourite. I'd love it if he came back.

Me too. Far all the praise Tennant gets for starting the series off again, people forget Eccleston was there before. It would, in a way, live or die by him.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Eccleston won't be part of it either

Shame about that. Only reason I started watching the show was because he was in it and he's still my favourite. I'd love it if he came back.

Me too. Far all the praise Tennant gets for starting the series off again, people forget Eccleston was there before. It would, in a way, live or die by him.

He's sort of the Dalton of the doctors. Did brilliantly but although he kept the show going people forgot about him and he wasn't as popular as some of the others.
    I admire him for sticking with his beliefs though and getting out when things weren't run the way he - or anyone should, for that matter - liked. That takes guts, good for him.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Eccleston isn't one of my favourites. Davison is my least favourite, followed by Eccleston.
    He's sort of the Dalton of the doctors. Did brilliantly but although he kept the show going people forgot about him and he wasn't as popular as some of the others.

I think McCoy is the Doctor Who equivalent of Dalton. Both wanted to take their respective characters back to their roots (as different as the characters were, the goals were the same), both had their official eras last from 1987 to 1989 and we still recognised as the 'current' incarnations through the 1990's and both were unfairly regarded as the Bond/Doctor that killed the film/tv series. They both happen to be the best of both characters. :D

@thelivingroyale, I am curious to hear your thoughts on McCoy. Since I became a Doctor Who fan in 2007, I have noticed that fans of McCoy as the Doctor are also fans of Dalton as Bond, and vice versa. Now I am not saying that everyone whom likes one, likes the other, but I have not found someone whom doesn't like both.
    @MajorDSmythe I really haven't seen enough of McCoy to give an opinion on him (same with all the old doctors). I saw him in the TV movie and I remember seeing a few episodes of his when I was a kid (I remember watching a story set on an ice palace and I can vaguely remember watching one or two episodes of a story with the daleks), but that's about it.
  • McCoy was a great Doctor. His role evolved from a slightly comedic and silly start to develop a darker mysterious side which explored his past & the complex relationship with Ace. Curse of Fenric is a classic.
    McCoy was a great Doctor. His role evolved from a slightly comedic and silly start to develop a darker mysterious side which explored his past & the complex relationship with Ace. Curse of Fenric is a classic.

absolutely TRUE
  • samainsysamainsy Suspended
    edited April 2013 Posts: 199
    Used to watch DR who but after the first series of matt smith I got bored I didnt watch the xmas episode for him missed out on series 6 what happend? I've been watching the old episodes and the new series up untill Slender Man is in it.
    samainsy wrote:
    missed out on series 6 what happend?

A future version of him died, then the present day him didn't die which messed up time and then he had to marry River for some reason, then he went to die like he should've done but it was actually a robot double being controlled by the mini people who wanted to kill Hitler. Also River was Amy and Rory's daughter who was kidnapped and trained to assassinate the doctor.

It was too complicated and really wasn't very good (imo). Series 7 has been much, much better.
  • samainsy wrote:

A future version of him died, then the present day him didn't die which messed up time and then he had to marry River for some reason, then he went to die like he should've done but it was actually a robot double being controlled by the mini people who wanted to kill Hitler. Also River was Amy and Rory's daughter who was kidnapped and trained to assassinate the doctor.

It was too complicated and really wasn't very good (imo). Series 7 has been much, much better.

A very good summary about series 6 and agree series 7 is much better and I'm excited about what lies in store for the reminder of the series.
    samainsy wrote:

watching the series at the mo

His name seems to be important. Was he in the old series?
    No.

And what the hell is the voice so deep? It was never that deep before.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    The crew don't sound very Russian do they? I know there's meant to be some translation thing but Hitler had a German accent and just last week lots of the aliens didn't speak English. They're really inconsistent with that.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    And what the hell is the voice so deep? It was never that deep before.

I'm sure his voice reminds me of a different monster from the show but I can't put my finger on it.
    A great episode tonight. One of the best in a long time. Very well paced too. Horror is coming back to Who at long last! :D
    Samuel001 wrote:
    A great episode tonight. One of the best in a long time. Very well paced too. Horror is coming back to Who at long last! :D

It wasnt that good,the next one has Slender Man in it and he goes to Slenders Mansion which is in Slender forest!!!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The best of series 7 (so far), and one of the best 11th Doctor stories. =D>

And David Warner, Sympathy For The Devil's alternate 3rd Doctor. Ok, Warner wasn't the Doctor last night, but my first though upon seeing Warner was about SFTD. And next weeks one looks spooky.
    Definetly the best one of series 7 so far imo. It was like a mix of Alien, The Hunt For Red October and the Dalek episode from the first series.
    Not to mention Abyss. Let's not forget Abyss.

Good episode on the whole. And it seems like, once again, Sexy has sent the Doctor where he needed to go. After all, having lived during the 80s, I remember how it was with Reagan (although it was only later that I discovered, in a documentary, how close to total annihilation we had been. One more thing: Barbie ? What the Smeg ?

And the resolution maybe should have been clearer. After all, I thought that it was Clara who saved the day by singing. But some people on another forum have corrected me, saying it had been the Ice Warriors themselves.

BTW: definitely one the monsters I wanted to return, and I was not disappointed. Now, bring on the Axons and the Zygons.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 7,653
    The Zygon are back in the 50th anniversary episode so that leaves the Axons?
  • Definetly the best one of series 7 so far imo. It was like a mix of Alien, The Hunt For Red October and the Dalek episode from the first series.

I agree. Great episode, best so far, I'd add in also mix of predator with the body armour and clicky noise that was made.
    disappointed with episode 2, well impressed with episode 3 though! Love the new Ice Warrior look! :-bd
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Series finale poster. Very risky idea, has the potential to piss lots of people off.

http://www.radiotimes.com/uploads/images/Original/29074.jpg
    Eccleston isn't one of my favourites. Davison is my least favourite, followed by Eccleston.

I think McCoy is the Doctor Who equivalent of Dalton. Both wanted to take their respective characters back to their roots (as different as the characters were, the goals were the same), both had their official eras last from 1987 to 1989 and we still recognised as the 'current' incarnations through the 1990's and both were unfairly regarded as the Bond/Doctor that killed the film/tv series. They both happen to be the best of both characters. :D

@thelivingroyale, I am curious to hear your thoughts on McCoy. Since I became a Doctor Who fan in 2007, I have noticed that fans of McCoy as the Doctor are also fans of Dalton as Bond, and vice versa. Now I am not saying that everyone whom likes one, likes the other, but I have not found someone whom doesn't like both.

Nah the first doctor is the worst the one .The 4th reminds me of Roger Moore.
    All Doctors have their strong points and weak points. I love all of them as each has their own style. But all have lesser moments and better moments.

The comparison McCoy & Dalton is pure invention.
    SaintMark wrote:
    The comparison McCoy & Dalton is pure invention.

How so? I don't see any closer comparison between McCoy and any other Bond, or Dalton and any other Doctor. I would l also pair together Davison & Brosnan (both did nothing new with the characters, and were, I guess you could call them, greatest hits).

All comparisons are a bit reaching for something as there are 12 Doctors and only 6 007's.
    Davison was a great Doctor and did add enough being the first young doctor after 4 older versions.
    McCoy was great but got a mixed bag and cancelled way too early, not due to his popularity but the then ruling BBC bosses who disliked the show.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,894
    There is a ratio in favour of Doctor who, but I think some comparisons can still be drawn, however weak or strong. Dalton/McCoy, Brosnan/Davison, Moore/T.Baker. The others, it gets more tricky with multiple combinaions.
    samainsy wrote:
    Nah the first doctor is the worst the one .The 4th reminds me of Roger Moore.

I'm not a huge fan of Hartnell either. Don't get me wrong, I don't like his Doctor, but at the same time, I don't dislike him. Along with McGann, Hartnell sits in the middle of my ranking (which can be split into 3 tiers: a top 5, middle 2 and a bottom 4). Though I like McGann a bit more after listening to the stories that were on Radio 4 extra, a while back.
    McGann is perhaps the Doctor that did not get his chance really, untill Big Finish came along. But then again Big finish did serve the last four Doctors immensely giving them far more to work with as the tv ever offered them.

McGann & Dalton both have in common that they came into an age where both could have been great with a voice of their own but were given not enough.

The 1st Doctor was the one without a large backstory which got more development with the next Doctors.

ANd Tom Baker was a brilliant Doctor that offered the show so much different styles and stories he has always been the quintessential Doctor. He is far closer to Connery in making the show really great.
    Maybe you had to be around at the time to experience the show during Tom Bakers era, but I fail to see what's to special about the 4th Doctor. Though I can't complain about Leela. :x
    I discovered the show during Tom's reign and according the annals his popularity was unmatched. He brought the show to the top of popularity.

I find the stories/serials in his reign of high quality/diverse/horroresque (more than any other Doctor up to date).

It wasn't untill the rebirth of the show his popularity was unmatched.

My preference in Doctors are the 3rd/4rd/5th/7th/8th

I do enjoy the current bunch even if they lack the special feeling the current show has.