'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

I did like the intro bit because they kept the 7th doctor, I thought they'd just jump in with the new one. His death was a bit of a let down compared to some of the others. He doesn't have a big death saving the world, he steps out of the TARDIS and gets peltered with machine gun fire.

quote]

Well, to be fair, the death of the Sixth Doctor wasn't much to shout about either. After all, he conked his head on the Tardis console.

BTW, seen that little piece ?

• The death of the 6th doctor sounds pretty terrible too.

I haven't seen much of the original run. Only a few 7th doctor episodes when I was a kid in the 80s. Wasn't really a fan until the 2005 series.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,894
    "Tumultuous buffeting" is the reason for the 6th Doctors' death, hitting his head on the console.

@thelivingroyale, you summed my my thoughts on the TVM too. Though I think McGann was an allright Doctor in it (i'm only now taking my first tentative steps into the 8th Doctor audio range) and Ainley should have been kept on as the Master or at least until his regeneration (and not into Eric Roberts).

%-( X_X
  • I didn't mind Mcgann but I'm glad Eccleston was bought in for the new series. I think he was much better (and I think is the best out of the doctors I've seen).

I hope they don't recast The Master when they bring him back (which chances are they will do eventually). John Simm was awesome.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Moffat has referred to the Master in the future as still being John Simm, so maybe for the 50th anniversary episode or the final episode of the 11th Doctor.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Simm didn't impress me as The Master, Ainley is still my favourite. And before they bring The Master back, again, i'd rather see The Rani make a come back. She hasn't been seen (officially) since Time And The Rani, and even then, that was only her 2nd appearance.
    Moffat seems to have ruled out that as "no body knows her". I wonder what the episode on the 23rd November will give us. It better be 90 minutes as it's a off one special.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I didn't like Simm as much last time (although to be fair I don't think he was given the best material, despite having Timothy Dalton I thought that episode was pretty crap. Stupid story where everybody has the same face as the Master? Check. Shoved in, cheesey comedy? Check. The Doctors mum? Check. Overly melodramatic regeneration? Check).

But I thought he was great in his first 3 episodes. I really liked this bit.

I wasn't a huge fan of Tennants era at all (preferred Torchwood to be honest), but I think Simm as The Master was one of the really good things to come out of it.
    Simm has said a darker Master would be nice to try, so he may bring his best work yet if the material is there. He's said he played the Master exactly as written, so I guess RTD really mucked that one up.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Moffat seems to have ruled out that as "no body knows her". I wonder what the episode on the 23rd November will give us. It better be 90 minutes as it's a off one special.

Then what better time to bring her to the attention of those that aren't already aware?

The Doctor & Ace Reunited with Chunky Gilmore!

Big Finish has announced another Doctor Who 50th anniversary tie-in! The series main range release in November 2013 will be a Seventh Doctor and Ace story – so what better than to reunite them with Group Captain “Chunky” Gilmore and the Counter-Measures team?

First appearing in Remembrance of the Daleks back in 1988, Gilmore (Simon Williams), Rachel Jensen (Pamela Salem) and Allison Williams (Karen Gledhill) were reunited in 2011 to record the first series of Counter-Measures, essentially (although you’ll get a better understanding from listening to the episodes) a 1960s UNIT.

The trio’s popularity with fans following the Ben Aaronovitch serial – not Doctor Who‘s official 25th anniversary story, as that honour was given to Silver Nemesis – eventually resulted in their new life on Big Finish 24 years later, so it makes sense that they should in some way be involved this time around. A second run of Counter-Measures episodes is released in July.

The as-yet untitled release will not only reunite the Doctor, Ace and the Counter-Measures team, but also act as the final part of a 1963-based mini-series starting with September’s Fifth Doctor adventure starring Peter Davison and continuing in October with Colin Baker as the Sixth Doctor.

http://www.kasterborous.com/2013/01/the-doctor-ace-reunited-with-chunky-gilmour/

So the 2013 7th Doctor main range releases are: July, August, September & November? Sounds good to me. :)
    Favourite doctor and favourite episode (or serial if it's an oldie)?

My favourite is Eccleston and episode wise it's either The Unquiet Dead or the one where he's stuck in a future version of Big Brother (actually I'm tempted to pick the first one too because of the "lots of planets have a north" line).
    Favourite Docor: McCoy
    Favourite Story: The Curse Of Fenric.

Though I can say hand on heart that there isn't a bad McCoy story (imo), for just featuring McCoy they're at the least watchable. On the 11 Doctors episode of Doctor Who: Confidential, RTD summed McCoy up better than I could...

"The part had been so big with Colin Baker, suddenly you get a much more intricate, smaller, jewel little man who literally twinkels, extraordinary quality in Sylvester McCoy".

The 26 stories as well as Rememberance Of The Daleks, make up my top 5 7th Doctor tv stories. But like I said, I can find something to like in all 12 stories, even if it's just McCoy.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I think it would be:

Favourite Docor: Tom Baker
    Favourite Story: Horror Of Fang Rock

Letting me pick one isn't fair though, I may have to do the others to at some stage.

Can't wait until April!
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,143
    Favourite Docor: McCoy
    Favourite Story: The Curse Of Fenric.

Though I can say hand on heart that there isn't a bad McCoy story (imo), for just featuring McCoy they're at the least watchable. On the 11 Doctors episode of Doctor Who: Confidential, RTD summed McCoy up better than I could...

"The part had been so big with Colin Baker, suddenly you get a much more intricate, smaller, jewel little man who literally twinkels, extraordinary quality in Sylvester McCoy".

The 26 stories as well as Rememberance Of The Daleks, make up my top 5 7th Doctor tv stories. But like I said, I can find something to like in all 12 stories, even if it's just McCoy.

Agree, even though in my opinion some of his stories we're a little silly and suffered with some bad writing and acting, he made each of them enjoyable and had a charm and likability which captavited me. The Curse of Fenric and Remembrance of The Daleks are my two favourite McCoy stories.
    Tom Baker,Horror Of Fang Rock only let down by the effects but i think his best was
    Genesis of the Daleks good story and gave us the character Davros.
    Each of the actors playin the part gave the character something different and added to the show.Its a pity the bbc did not repect what it was creating at the time with stories coming out about cheapness , Colin Bakers costume? orginally to be all black like the Master ,what must he have thought when wearing that multi coloured baffon suit. Of the modern episodes Eccleston episode Dalek ,The Unquiet Dead and The Empty Child were good,Tennants The Girl in the Fireplace,The Impossible Planet, The Satan Pit, Blink . The only trouble i find with them is they treat children like children the orginal show trated children with more respect. The show needs to grow up a bit increase show to 90 or 120 minutes to increase story development. the actors seem to be getting younger and younger. I would like to see the Master back played by someone over 40 ,Matt Smith could be very good but he needs to give the doctor a darker edge.
    Am i the only person who did not like the ponds,bring back Leala,Romana or Nyssa
  • Tom Baker seems to be the Sean Connery of Doctor Who.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Letting me pick one isn't fair though

Feel free to choose more if you like :)
    Tom Baker seems to be the Sean Connery of Doctor Who.

Though Baker wasn't the first, he's proably the most popular, but not one of my favourites.

I've got the recent BBC Radio 4 Extra 8th Doctor audios on my Sky+ box, so earlier today I listened to 'Situation Vacant'. The 8th Doctor is growing on me and there's a chance that McGann might overtake Hartnell in my ranking.
  • Tom Baker seems to be the Sean Connery of Doctor Who.

Though Baker wasn't the first, he's proably the most popular, but not one of my favourites.

I think he's like Connery in that he's the most popular and iconic.

When I was a kid (although a pretty young one, I was 6 or 7 when the show got canned), the 7th doctor was on TV (and I did watch it a few times), but still growing up into the 90s I always thought of Doctor Who as that bloke with the scarf, even though I'd never seen any 4th doctor episodes.
    Would have been interesting if he would have made his Doctor Who Meets Scratchman
    movie
    Speaking of Tom Baker:

A happy 79th birthday to him !
    I do watch Dr Who but do not follow it as much as some.
    The best episode, that will always be lodged in my brain is when the Dr number 4 turns into number 5
    If I have to choose one doctor it would have to be Tom as I grew up with him, David Tennnent close second

I'd rather see McGann return. Listening to the audios that were on BBC Radio 4, he's growing on me. I'd kill to see McCoy return, but at 69, it wouldn't be right to expect him to do much.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Come on Moffat, getting all 11 in there somewhere is just great. That's not a bad line up, eh? :)

Just one of many fan made '11 Doctors' titles.
  • Getting all 11 of them could be cool but there's a few things that make me wonder if they could actually manage to do it.

1) Colin Baker is bloody obese and looks nothing like he did on doctor who. Tom Baker isn't as fat but he still looks pretty old and different.

2) 3 of them are dead (although they could get doubles or use old footage or something)

5 and 7 could probably do it. The 7th doctor hasn't really aged that much since the TV movie and the 5th one did that Children In Need thing and looked pretty good. McGann, Eccleston and Tennant all look fine and could definetly do it.
    I think McCoy has changed since the tvm. But I don't think it would be much of a problem. Back in 2011, McCoy returned as the 7th Doctor for 'Downtime', here's a pic:

http://www.shadowlocked.com/images/stories/news/2011/003_March/16/sylvester_mccoy_green_screen/sylvester_mccoy_green_screen.JPG

Ok, he might have aged, but his clothes are a really good variation to his tv and tvm clothes.
    Oh. Ok he's changed more than I thought.

Still, he looks alright and makeup can do great things. I thought he looked fine in The Hobbit.

I think his brighter TV clothes wouldn't suit him new he's older, not sure why. Something like that or his TV movie outfit would work better.
    It would be great to see Paul McGann play the part for second time ,he has appeared in the show twice? If the master is to be in it who could play the part?
    Heres a few names John nettles(Midsummer murders)
    Benedict Cumberbatch, James Nesbitt,Tom Ward,Adrian Lester,Robert Glenister Charles
    Dance?
  • They should just bring John Simm back.