'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

I quite like the idea of Alan Davies playing the role! He is quirky and he can do humour as well as serious!
    With the next series not being aired until next autumn the identity of the next doctor could be a secret till the rengeration in the christmas special or the end of anniversary special and then film the christmas special in studio and the doctor would be a well kept secret like clara in the aslum of the daleks
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    That wouldn't be possible, if someone knows it will be leaked. The Christmas special will start filming soon, we'll need to know before then who it is.

Comic-con is next month. That could be a great time for an announcement.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    That wouldn't be possible, if someone knows it will be leaked. The Christmas special will start filming soon, we'll need to know before then who it is.

Comic-con is next month. That could be a great time for an announcement.

To bad they released the Matt Smith statement before filming the change, or perhaps they already did so in a closed TARDIS set, in that case they can keep it a secret for a while.

• cwl007cwl007 England
    Imagine Russell Brand withqout the baggage and taboos, a family/kid friendly show with a role model as a central character could never touch some one like Brand, BUT if the BBC could and IF he was a clean cut actor with the same personality I think he would be an amazing Doctor.
    cwl007 wrote:
    Imagine Russell Brand withqout the baggage and taboos, a family/kid friendly show with a role model as a central character could never touch some one like Brand, BUT if the BBC could and IF he was a clean cut actor with the same personality I think he would be an amazing Doctor.

I hope this would never happen I hate Russell Brand .
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Dalton12 wrote:
    cwl007 wrote:

I hope this would never happen I hate Russell Brand .

I'll second that. I noticed a news article saying that he said he wanted the role. No, just no. It would be like having Genghis Khan as James Bond.

"Well... at least he's different."
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Y'know that rumour about a Sunday newspaper revealing the new doctor and the BBC trying to beat them to it?

Well the BBC have said there will be no announcement this weekend from them but now this has been circling the web.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/10108234/BBC-asks-James-Bond-star-to-be-its-new-Doctor-Who.html
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited June 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I do like Rory but since I didn't grow up with Dr. Who, or even get to watch it often at all (drat!), I feel like I cannot really say who should be the next doctor. Seems like he may be a popular choice, though ...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I've never understood the appeal of Dr. Who myself. That's all I'll say.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,894
    Y'know that rumour about a Sunday newspaper revealing the new doctor and the BBC trying to beat them to it?

Well the BBC have said there will be no announcement this weekend from them but now this has been circling the web.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/10108234/BBC-asks-James-Bond-star-to-be-its-new-Doctor-Who.html

I don't get any Doctor-ish vibe from Tanner Kinnear. Then again, if it had been up to me in 2009, I would not have picked Smith, so what do I know.

A google search shows a more recent article to the Telegraph one, in which the search is still very much ongoing:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/claim-rory-kinnear-been-offered-1941442
    I've read that a lot, that people don't think he has a Doctor Who vibe, but I think that the doctors have been so varied (we've had everything from a grumpy old granddad to a northern war veteran) that you can't really say that.
    I've read that a lot, that people don't think he has a Doctor Who vibe, but I think that the doctors have been so varied (we've had everything from a grumpy old granddad to a northern war veteran) that you can't really say that.

Oh no, not Eccleston. He was too human for me and I didn't like his look. It you just happened to change channel, and see the 9th Doctor, you could be forgiven for thinking that you were watching some gritty northern police drama.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Oh no, not Eccleston. He was too human for me and I didn't like his look. It you just happened to change channel, and see the 9th Doctor, you could be forgiven for thinking that you were watching some gritty northern police drama.

I think he meant Jon Pertwee.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I too, thought of Eccleston.
    Murdock wrote:
    I think he meant Jon Pertwee.

Pertwee is more the dandy or the action man Doctor. I've even seen him referred to as a cross between The Doctor & James Bond. Which is a fair description, I think.
    I thought by making the doctor a more human character he was more relatable (and he did have quite a few moments where he was still clearly alien), and I preferred his simple and mysterious costume to the flamboyant and ridiculous clothes some of the others have worn.

Lots of people seem to not like how he was a northerner but I thought it was great how (despite being able to do accents) he stuck with his natural mancunian voice and broke down the barrier to a proper working class Doctor.

He had lots of presence and I also liked the darker side he bought. When Tennant or Smith get angry it's a bit like having a puppy growl at you but when Eccleston got pissed off he was actually intimidating (nearly every scene had with the daleks is an example).
    Eccleston was a great Doctor in his own style. Remember, the show's comeback would have been in jeopardy had he not played a blinder. His interpretation was more human and angry / blunt / harsh but he still was at times mischievous and fun loving. Plus he had glimpses of an alien nature. Shame he only did the one series but he was topped by Tennant who himself was topped by Smith. The next Doctor has a hard task of continuing this successful upward trend.
    That's the problem, the Doctor isn't human, so I don't see the point in humanising him. When Smith took over, there were nice little touches (I thought so), through series 5, in which the Doctor would do something quirky, reminding us he was an alien.

Tennant wasn't much better, imo. Like Davison, I found Tennant to be a highly strung Doctor.

• So a bit of gossip i picked up that might actually be true, at last.

So a bit of gossip i picked up that might actually be true, at last.

I cannot see interfering with his Bond work so why not give it a go if true?
    Bookmakers Ladbrokes said on Sunday that they were no longer taking bets on Smith's replacement after Rory Kinnear was backed into 2/1 favourite after the reports. If he has got the part, and part of me hopes he has, then he could be very good. I enjoyed Kinnear's Bedford character in HG Well's 'First Men In The Moon' (dramatised by Mark Gattis) last year and would like to see him given more screen time in a higher profile role.
    Interesting viewpoint from Radio Times, @Sam. So according to Steven Moffat he said recently: “I haven't a clue who it is, we've barely started.”

But I do find that rather strange as surely Moffat would have been aware that Smith might be hanging up the sonic screwdriver anytime soon and therefore would have had a couple of people in the forefront of his mind just in case such a moment came?
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    When Tennant announced he was leaving Smith had already been cast. I assume it's the same again and we'll learn who has the part next month.

As I said earlier in the thread, Comic-Con is coming up.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    edited June 2013 Posts: 496
    Just wondering whose your favourite companion? Mines Adam from series 1 even though he was only in it for 2 episodes. So is it true abour Rory Kinnear being the new Doctor Who? I can't imagine him being the Doctor after seeing him in QoS & SF.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    When Tennant announced he was leaving Smith had already been cast. I assume it's the same again and we'll learn who has the part next month.

But they haven't film the Christmas episode yet (the one he's leaving?)
    Samuel001 wrote:

No yet, that begins filming July/August time.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

No yet, that begins filming July/August time.

Right. So I'm assuming it will be leaked the same time Matt's regeneration is filming.