'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I don't think a date was ever mentioned but it was always August. With filming getting underway in just four weeks I guess the BBC don't want to risk a leak even further by announcing who has the part near the end of the month.

@bondsum, the announcement is the reveal is on Sunday.
    Thanks for that @Sam. I'm just reading more comments on the subject and it does appear to be a teaser for the Zoe Ball reveal on Sunday.
    It was leaked on Twitter so everyone knows what the announcement is all about.

Next up, will who the Twelfth Doctor is be leaked? Matt's casting was but only a few hours before.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    The Beeb would not announce anything earth shattering at midnight as it would miss all the papers. Doing it at 7pm on Sunday means it'll be in the press Monday morning along with all the morning news shows.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Radio Times have free licence. They can word it however they like. A bit mean, though.

By God, I hope it's someone who can live up to Smith.
    Brilliant! I look forward to Sunday evening even more now! :-bd
  • Live on Sunday on BBC One at 7pm? That's Celebrity Mastermind down the pan then!
    The BBC has just confirmed the news. The Celebrity Mastermind repeat was a smokescreen!

Charlotte Moore, Controller of BBC One said:

BBC One is the home of big live events and this special live show is the perfect way to reveal the identity of the next Doctor and share it with the nation. The Doctor is a truly iconic role and I’m more than excited about the booking.

Steven Moffat adds:

The decision is made and the time has come to reveal who’s taking over the TARDIS. For the last of the Time Lords, the clock is striking twelve.

Ben Stephenson, Controller of BBC Drama Commissioning, commented:

We can’t wait to unveil the next Doctor with everyone live on BBC1 on Sunday night. Amongst all the speculation and betting, there has been lots of fun and intrigue at work as we’ve been using the codename Houdini as a decoy! It’s the biggest secret in showbiz, even those working with the new Doctor on other projects at the moment have no idea they are in the presence of the 12th incarnation.

Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor will also feature Jenna Coleman along with Smith, Moffat, previous Doctors, companions, special guests and 'celebrity' fans.

The first footage from the anniversary episode will also be shown.

7:00 - 7:30pm, Sunday!
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The BBC has just confirmed the news. The Celebrity Mastermind repeat was a smokescreen!

Charlotte Moore, Controller of BBC One said:

BBC One is the home of big live events and this special live show is the perfect way to reveal the identity of the next Doctor and share it with the nation. The Doctor is a truly iconic role and I’m more than excited about the booking.

Steven Moffat adds:

The decision is made and the time has come to reveal who’s taking over the TARDIS. For the last of the Time Lords, the clock is striking twelve.

Ben Stephenson, Controller of BBC Drama Commissioning, commented:

We can’t wait to unveil the next Doctor with everyone live on BBC1 on Sunday night. Amongst all the speculation and betting, there has been lots of fun and intrigue at work as we’ve been using the codename Houdini as a decoy! It’s the biggest secret in showbiz, even those working with the new Doctor on other projects at the moment have no idea they are in the presence of the 12th incarnation.

Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor will also feature Jenna Coleman along with Smith, Moffat, previous Doctors, companions, special guests and 'celebrity' fans.

The first footage from the anniversary episode will also be shown.

7:00 - 7:30pm, Sunday!

Moffats comment drew my eye. With the words "For the LAST of the Timelords?".
    RogueAgent wrote:

I don't think he meant anything cryptic by it. The Doctor is regarded as the LAST of his kind and the "clock strikes twelve" reference means the next actor will be the twelfth incarnation of him.

Or at least that's how I read it ;-)

RogueAgent wrote:

I don't think he meant anything cryptic by it. The Doctor is regarded as the LAST of his kind and the "clock strikes twelve" reference means the next actor will be the twelfth incarnation of him.

Certainly looking forward to finding either way that's for sure! :D
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Anyone you're hoping to see cast? Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Idris Elba. A black Doctor, I think that would be cool especially as Elba is a bloody fine actor.
  • Roll on Sunday 7pm. Really excited that they are making a big deal of this. I think the new Doctor might be a well known name to receive such an introduction with all the hype surrounding this live show!
    The bookies have stopped taking bets on Peter Capaldi being named as the next Doctor.

Please, please, please let him portray the Doctor as Malcolm Tucker if true :-)
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Anyone you're hoping to see cast? Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Idris Elba. A black Doctor, I think that would be cool especially as Elba is a bloody fine actor.

I certainly agree about how good Idris Elba is as an actor, not sure if he would want to play the Dr? Not sure if he has ruled himself out but I like the thought of Rory Kinnear taking on the part? Or Alan Davies as he can be eccentric and quirky but also intelligent as well!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I certainly agree about how good Idris Elba is as an actor, not sure if he would want to play the Dr? Not sure if he has ruled himself out but I like the thought of Rory Kinnear taking on the part? Or Alan Davies as he can be eccentric and quirky but also intelligent as well!

Well we shall know in less than 24hrs time :-)
  • Can't wait to find out who it is.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    McGann will regenerate into Hurt and Hurt into...could there be another surprise in store?

I hope so.
    It's a great guest list for tonight. They aim to pack a fair bit into 35 minutes.
    And of course I'm sure the next Doctor will be unveiled with only a couple of mins of airtime remaining ;-)
    As they plan to interview him and ask questions we have been able to email the BBC, you would hope they get him out fairly quickly. Of course, it would not surprise me if they do exactly as you say @WillyGalore.
    Not that I'm cynical or anything but most people are only going to tune in to BBC1 to see who the next Doctor is and once he's been unveiled, they'll most likely change channel afterwards. Unfortunately, it's all about getting those ratings.
    Slight spoiler here. One of the BBC's URLs on the Doctor Who website has the following ending. "Welsh-Hero-is-the-Twelveth-Doctor".

Note the incorrect spelling. So, who is it?
    Interesting. Out of all the actors rumored for the part, none are Welsh so it's either someone whose name has not so far been mentioned (Michael Sheen perhaps?) or it's just a smokescreen.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 2,782
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Slight spoiler here. One of the BBC's URLs on the Doctor Who website has the following ending. "Welsh-Hero-is-the-Twelveth-Doctor".

Dalton, what a coup?
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Samuel001 wrote:

Dalton, what a coup?

Would be great wouldn't it. I think having played a Time Lord already (Rasalan), its doubtful we will be seeing TD as the Doctor.
  • I think it'll be Peter Capadeli. I'd be happy if it was him too, good actor.

10 minutes left now.
  • Only a few moments until we are all clued to our tv screens with baited breath. Who will be... WHO?
    Matt Smith very tough to follow.
  • Matt Smith is talking about the new one now and unless he's lying for the sake of it, it's definitely a bloke.
    They are certainly keeping the audience waiting.