'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    When Tennant announced he was leaving Smith had already been cast. I assume it's the same again and we'll learn who has the part next month.

As I said earlier in the thread, Comic-Con is coming up.

But they haven't film the Christmas episode yet (the one he's leaving?)

No yet, that begins filming July/August time.

Right. So I'm assuming it will be leaked the same time Matt's regeneration is filming.

It will be announced before the episode begins filming. The BBC won't want the news leaked. In about a month, we'll know who it is. With the Doctor Who team going to Comic-Con, what better time?

Excited!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Big Finish have announced that they have renewed their Doctor Who licence until December 2016:

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-audio-licence-renewed
    Big Finish have announced that they have renewed their Doctor Who licence until December 2016:

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-audio-licence-renewed

That is actually better news, I will worry about the next Doctor performer once I know his name. And even then it will not really be saying something as Tennant & Smith both became pretty well known due to the part.

• http://www.blastr.com/2013-6-13/rumor-day-bbc-just-found-lot-long-lost-doctor-who-eps

Unbelievable Doctor Who news...unseen original footage from year 1
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    If that turns out to be true, I hope there's going to be some Troughton era Who.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    My God, just how many of the 106 could we get?

Even stories with two episodes still missing, can be animated, so for all we know this could complete the set. They say every Hartnell story could be there, wow.

If it's tue you would expect the BBC to have already announced this, so let's wait and see what happens now. Where were they found, off private collectors? I've always thought they would have been the safest bet, not knowing what they'd got.

I wonder if there are any more people like this chap out there, said to be holding onto many of them?
    I would be very interested in seeing some more Hartnell episodes.
    Next year, I hope complete series box sets are on the way, I'll start buying them then.

According to the article all the Hartnell episodes have been recovered.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Next year, I hope complete series box sets are on the way, I'll start buying them then.

According to the article all the Hartnell episodes have been recovered.

That would be nice, both things mentioned in your post.

I could sit here at my computer, and type that it was to good to be true. But honestly, I was excited at the prospect of more Troughton. :-w Though at least The Ice Warriors is coming to DVD in August.

Also, was anyone aware that Scream Of The Shalka is being relased on DVD in September? I just went on Amazon to look at the DW schedule, and there it is, due for release on the 13th September.
    Oh well, animation to the rescue then.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    edited June 2013 Posts: 496
    Anyone seen Doctor Who the movie? 1996 with the master in San Francisco? And the 8th Doctor ? Just about to watch it right now! Here's the link it's in little parts http://www.combom.co.uk/2009/04/watch-doctor-who-movie-enemy-within-for.html
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,894
    I don't think this has been posted before, but in case anyone has not heard the trailer for Big Finish's own anniversary special, here it is:

Listening to that, sends a shiver down my spine.
    Major that is indeed excellent O:-)
    If anyone wants to know where John Hurt's character fits into the timeline then click on the spoiler below. The news comes via costume designer Howard Burden who spoke to the Prince of Wales on a recent studio visit.
    Speaking to the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall at a Doctor Who studio visit on their annual summer tour of Wales, costume designer Howard Burden described John Hurt's character as a "dark Doctor", going on to explain,

“There was a gap between Paul McGann playing the Doctor and Christopher Eccleston, when we didn’t see a regeneration, and John Hurt will fit into that gap. He is a past Doctor, not a future Doctor.”
  • bondsum wrote:
    If anyone wants to know where John Hurt's character fits into the timeline then click on the spoiler below. The news comes via costume designer Howard Burden who spoke to the Prince of Wales on a recent studio visit.
    Speaking to the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall at a Doctor Who studio visit on their annual summer tour of Wales, costume designer Howard Burden described John Hurt's character as a "dark Doctor", going on to explain,

“There was a gap between Paul McGann playing the Doctor and Christopher Eccleston, when we didn’t see a regeneration, and John Hurt will fit into that gap. He is a past Doctor, not a future Doctor.”

Thanks. That seemed to be the implication in the episode (and that's certainly how I read it) but this is the first official confirmation I've seen. Great find.
    That's been all but confirmed up until now, and tbh, I don't know how I feel about it.
    Though it's nothing against John Hurt, he's a fine actor, and it's a coup for the show. But rather than introduce a new doctor from between two previous incarnations, i'd rather they (I know they would never do this, but stick with me), if they made a Time War series as a flashback. McGann could still play the Doctor, and he seems willing to do so.
    I sussed it out from his clothes so not a huge shock. Still, I'm excited about this. John Hurt is brilliant and the idea of there being a lost doctor is a great twist.

They could've bought Mcgann or Eccleston back but I think the shock value is much bigger this way and it's much more exciting, creates a bigger mystery around it all.
    This means the incoming Doctor is the 13th and final incarnation...
    @samuel001 - I hope not!

edited July 2013 Posts: 13,350
    After that, it's time to work something into the plot. This could be a good arc and quest for the Doctor that he must find way to survive, even if it kills him. ;) ...
    I saw two combined episodes from the Colin Baker era that was 10 times better than the rubbish today.
    I came across this little gem today. New and bizarre casting choices have emerged thanks to a new book, 'Now on the Big Screen: The Unofficial and Unauthorised Guide to Doctor Who at the Cinema', a catchily-entitled exploration by Charles Norton. The book centres on the aborted attempts to bring Sydney Newman's creation to the screen.

Paramount had set in place an agreement with Daltenreys, a British production company which held the rights to the intellectual property back in 1988.

Oddly, Daltenreys were co-funded by a group of Doctor Who fans, one of whom was singer Bryan Ferry, who wanted to bring the show to the big screen, fancying the bombastic tagline 'The Man. The Myth. The Movie.'

Now for the casting choices. First up for the role was.... [drum roll]... Michael Jackson. Because of Jackson's recent appearance in 'Moonwalker', the studio was keen for the King of Pop to play the role.

Coming in a close second, should Jackson have been unavailable, was Bill Cosby, due to his massive success playing Cliff Huxtable on 'The Cosby Show'.

What do you guys think of that, and aren't you glad that Daltenreys aren't in any way involved in replacing Matt Smith.
    Yes, we are !

Now, here's something that will appear very soon :

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/932?articleID=135843

Yup, after our own Bond Cars Collection, here comes the "Doctor Who Figurine Collection". Soon at your newsagents. And here's the official site :

http://dw-figurines.com/

As much as I would like to buy it, my flat is not the Tardis. So I won't.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 5,812
    This, on the other hand, I'll buy :

doctor-whos-series-7-soundtrack-300x300.jpg

BTW, anyone followed the proms on BBC 3 ? Made me wish I'd been there.
    Gerard wrote:
    Yes, we are !

Now, here's something that will appear very soon :

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/932?articleID=135843

Yup, after our own Bond Cars Collection, here comes the "Doctor Who Figurine Collection". Soon at your newsagents. And here's the official site :

http://dw-figurines.com/

As much as I would like to buy it, my flat is not the Tardis. So I won't.

They are pretty cool! I know a friend of my brothers that would be interested in those? Do you think they will do a Bond one though? Certainly plenty of characters to go at!!! :-?
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 3,333
    doctor-who-matt-smith-david-tennant.jpg
    Well The Comic-Con has come and gone and no mention of the new Doctor which is a shame. The only interesting thing to come out of it was the 50th Anniversary Preview that was shown exclusively to the audience. There are a few spoilers but here is what was seen...
    ...The trailer started off with a closeup of feet walking, followed by glimpses at Smith as Doctor #11 and Clara (Coleman). Smith (via voice-over) says that he’s had many faces, but there’s one face that he’s tried to keep buried. This was followed by a shot of a shadowy man, standing in the background of what appears to be a dimly-lit cavernous room (the interior of the TARDIS?), along with a shot of Daleks shrieking “Exterminate!”

This was followed shortly thereafter by a closeup of John Hurt as “The Doctor.” We then got a couple more clips of Hurt while he pilots the TARDIS, in addition to saying (via voice-over) “Great men are forged in fire.”

Thereafter, the trailer shifted into a pure montage of brief shots, which included a ragged-haired Rose (Billie Piper), Smith yelling “Geronimo!” and David Tennant as (Doctor #10? The half-human Doctor clone?) in the TARDIS yelling “Allons-y!”, in addition to Tennant and Smith’s Doctors meeting for the first time (they show one another their sonic screwdrivers and pull on their respective glasses).

We also saw Tennant in Smith’s TARDIS, saying “You’ve redecorated… I don’t like it!”, multiple shots of Tennant, Smith and Hurt walking together, a brief glimpse at a hellish-red rough-skinned monster, an exploding wall that sends Dalek toppling over, and Rose warning (Doctor #11? Clara?) that they are in danger.

The final shot had Hurt saying “I’m looking for the Doctor,” then we cut to Tennant and Smith exchanging significant glances in response. That was followed by the 50th anniversary logo and the official air date.
    There were few other revelations outside of the trailer. Production has yet to begin on the 2013 Christmas special, the episode that will see Smith exit and a yet-to-be-named actor take over the wheel at the Tardis.

http://screenrant.com/doctor-who-50-anniversary-special-trailer-comic-con/
    With the special filming in September we should learn who it is next month. At least the Daleks are finally confirmed for the November episode.