'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• edited August 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Told you. Couple of minutes from the end it'll be announced.

Great choice. Peter Capaldi it is
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,432
    Peter Capaldi, will have to see what they do with his Doctor. Cant say i am overwhelmed at this point.
  • So not such a greatly kept secret, Peter Capaldi has been odds on favourite for days. Have to say I don't know that much about him, however not heard a single bad word against him and seen some clips now of his famous Malcolm Tucker character and instantly can see his qualities as an actor. Good to see a older Doctor again to keep the series moving forward with a fresh approach.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I think it'll be Peter Capaldi.

Told you ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm not that familiar with Capaldi, I've only seen him in the brit horror/thriller House Of 9, but i'll wait and see what he does. I am pleasantly surprised that they've gone for an older Doctor again. At 55, he's the 2nd older Doctor at time of casting. I'm going to miss Smith, but i'll give Capaldi a chance that he deserves.
    I'm not that familiar with Capaldi, I've only seen him in the brit horror/thriller House Of 9, but i'll wait and see what he does. I am pleasantly surprised that they've gone for an older Doctor again. At 55, he's the 2nd older Doctor at time of casting. I'm going to miss Smith, but i'll give Capaldi a chance that he deserves.

Watch the BBC series, The Thick Of It and his performance as Malcolm Tucker. Absolute sheer bloody brilliance.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,904
    Watch the BBC series, The Thick Of It and his performance as Malcolm Tucker. Absolute sheer bloody brilliance.

Now he's the 12 Doctor, I will look into seeing it. In the past, I've seen The Thick Of It called a modern Yes, Minister, and I must confess to thinking 'why do we need a modern Yes, Minister, when the original still has razor sharp comedy'*. I will now give it a chance.

*Which is why I have not watched the Yes, Minister remake.
  • They should do this for the next Bond, announce it on the telly.

I hope they tone down what he wears a bit. I don't like the naff OTT costumes, I prefer it when they keep it simple, like with Eccleston.

Smith got away with it because they took the piss a bit and turned it into a gag but I'd like it if Capaldi dressed more normally.

"This might be the proudest moment of my career and I've taken a dump in the white house"- Malcolm Tucker.

There are funnier quotes but I've gotten in trouble for swearing on this site before ;)

Now he's the 12 Doctor, I will look into seeing it. In the past, I've seen The Thick Of It called a modern Yes, Minister, and I must confess to thinking 'why do we need a modern Yes, Minister, when the original still has razor sharp comedy'*. I will now give it a chance.

*Which is why I have not watched the Yes, Minister remake.

Yes, I think Capaldi will have to tone down on the language he uses for Tucker when he plays the Doctor ;-)

I can't stop crying with laughter when I watch this
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I'm pleased. A fine actor. An older Doctor. I'm in shock that we know who's next.

In his earlier days I hear he's played some wacky scientists. That should bode well.

Why wasn't the announcement special one hour? Time for more questions then.
    I've been reading comments on the BBC website. Usual anti-BBC rant going on, "waster of licence fee money" etc. Of course they fail to realise, like Top Gear (which I'm not a fan of) is the huge amounts of revenue these shows generate from being sold worldwide.
  • The official Doctor Who website has unsurprisingly crashed due to the high volume of traffic. Looking forward to getting on there to see official interviews and photos etc.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I really need to get In The Thick of It on DVD. Peter Capaldi is a good choice for a more mature Doctor. I'm still not a Dr. Who fan, mind.
    Yes, Twitter was going off the reservation earlier as well.

There is a huge similarity with the fanfare of a new actor being unveiled as the Doctor as there is for Bond. Well, in the UK at least.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I really need to get In The Thick of It on DVD. Peter Capaldi is a good choice for a more mature Doctor. I'm still not a Dr. Who fan, mind.

I haven't been fond of the last series, it was the weakest so far.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Yes, Twitter was going off the reservation earlier as well.

There is a huge similarity with the fanfare of a new actor being unveiled as the Doctor as there is for Bond. Well, in the UK at least.
    Dragonpol wrote:

I haven't been fond of the last series, it was the weakest so far.

The Bond/Who comparison can't be denied. I'd love to see some of the very old episodes, right enough.
    eCsP8f8.jpg

Press release:

In a special live broadcast, the BBC today announced that the role of Doctor Who would next be played by Peter Capaldi.

Amid much hype and speculation, Peter Capaldi was unveiled as the next Doctor during a special live television event on BBC ONE tonight.

Widely regarded as one of the biggest roles in British television, Capaldi will be the Twelfth Doctor and takes over from Matt Smith who leaves the show at Christmas.

Peter Capaldi says: “Being asked to play The Doctor is an amazing privilege. Like the Doctor himself I find myself in a state of utter terror and delight. I can’t wait to get started.”

Steven Moffat, lead writer and executive producer says : “It’s an incendiary combination: one of the most talented actors of his generation is about to play the best part on television. Peter Capaldi is in the TARDIS!”

Doctor Who companion, Jenna Coleman says “I’m so excited Peter Capaldi is the man taking on the challenge of becoming the Twelfth Doctor. With Steven’s writing and his talent I know we’ll be making an amazing show with an incredible incarnation of number 12. I can’t wait to start this new adventure!”

Charlotte Moore, Controller BBC One says : “Peter Capaldi has all the genius and versatility needed to take on the mantel of the great Time Lord and make the role his own. He’ll bring his own particular wisdom, charisma and wit to the Twelfth Doctor and take the show into an exciting new era.”

Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning says : “We started thinking Peter Capaldi might be the right person to take on this iconic part a few months ago. But it was only when he did a secret audition at Steven’s house under the cover of darkness that we knew we had our man. He’s an extraordinarily talented actor who can seemingly turn his hand to anything. We can’t wait to premiere his unique take on the Doctor on Christmas Day and we are sure he’s going to become one of the all-time classic Doctors.”
    Since the new series began, it's the first Doctor who's older than I am. Not by much, but still...

Well, I haven't seen him in many things (apart from that episode of Doctor Who with Karen Gillan), but it will be interesting to see where he goes with the role.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm sure it's a sin to you all, but I watched an episode of 'Doctor Who' a long while back and couldn't get into it, but now that I see Malcolm Tucker is going to be the next Doctor? I may have to give this another shot.
    Out of curiosity, which episode was it?
    It is worth noting The Fires of Pompeii has featured both our new Doctor and Amy Pond aka Karen Gillan before they were cast in main roles. And they're both Scottish.
    All I recall is that the Doctor was Eccleston and it started out with a woman in a factory with lots of mannequins after her, and the Doctor arrives and saves her. I think one of the mannequin hands may have played a part later on at her place? I can't remember too much.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    All I recall is that the Doctor was Eccleston and it started out with a woman in a factory with lots of mannequins after her, and the Doctor arrives and saves her. I think one of the mannequin hands may have played a part later on at her place? I can't remember too much.

The was the very first episode of season 1 with Christopher Ecclestone and Billie Piper.

edited August 2013 Posts: 13,904
    Creasy47 wrote:

My memory is a bit fuzzy on the Eccleston era (one of my least favourite Doctors), but that episode would be Rose, the first episode of the of the revived show. I wouldn't let that episode put you off, there's many more stories that Doctor Who has to offer, both Classic and Modern.
    Yeah, the episode was called 'Rose.' You're both right.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Creasy47 wrote:

The first series was a bit sketchy at first (there's a really crap two parter involving farting aliens), but it does get better.

I'd stick with it, there are some brilliant episodes later on in the series where Eccleston actually gets a chance to show just how good an actor he is. He's still by far my favourite (only started watching it because he was in it).
    Even though I have not seen this guy in anything much! I do know of him thanks to some very funny clips from "Thick of it". I really like the choice. Did not realise he was in the Pompei episode or Torchwood!

When he walked on the stage the thought that first entered my head? He has a very hawkish look about him and with his look and those piercing eyes? He reminds me of the awesome Peter Cushing!

As for his costume? I think quite an Edwardian feel for some reason? Just think it will be age reflecting? Either way I fully approve with the choice of the new Dr Who! :-bd
  • Is it me or does he look like a skinny Tom Baker (my childhood doctor), it's his mad crazy expressive eyes?

Quite excited about an old Skool Doc, a long run me thinks, I think the producers are fed up of the whipper snappers making a name and buggering off.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 1,661
    Not overly impressed by his casting. He's already appeared in Doctor Who and Torchwood. Couldn't Mr Moffat have found someone new. Lacking a bit of vision, perhaps. Also - and this is not wishing to be ageist but it has to be said - going with a 55 year old after casting the youngest ever actor in the role (Matt Smith was 26 when he was cast) might alienate some of the younger fans.

Time will tell if this is a good casting decision or not. I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings plummet, though. I just can't see this guy being cool enough to appeal to youngsters. On a personal note I thought Matt Smith was the best ever Doctor. He is my fave so this new guy has got big shoes to fill!
    By the same token though, casting the youngest actor ever might have alienated some of the shows older fans no? Or is it only the 'youth' that watch Doctor Who?

I don't think it should make any difference as to whether he's appeared in the show before. Both Freema Agyeman and Karen Gillen turned up in previous episodes before they were cast as the companions. Gillen in fact featured in the same episode as Capaldi.