"SPECTRE" Appreciation Topic (...and why you think the 24th Bond film was the best spy film of 2015)

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The QOS car chase is better than the SP one (editing aside).
    :-O

How exactly do you make a judgement of the car chase from QoS with the "editing aside". Are you telling me you could actually tell what was happening throughout that scene?

Woah!

Well SFs script is better than FRWL's (glaring plot holes and stupidity aside)
    ;)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

How exactly do you make a judgement of the car chase from QoS with the "editing aside". Are you telling me you could actually tell what was happening throughout that scene?

Woah!

;)

Yeah, and Lazenby is the best Bond ever (acting aside). :))
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,690
    I must be the only one who enjoys the boat chase in QOS.
    I think the boat chase in QoS is the worst action scene in the whole franchise.

It'd definitely make some kind of shortlist.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,117

Woah!

Well I guess I prefer hard hitting crashes rather than watching comedy Italians having airbags going off in their faces and MP rummaging in her fridge.

And let's not forget the classic line 'Mr White. Of course'!

To be fair there are some nice moments in the SP chase - smashing the roof off a parked car, power sliding past the Vatican, the flame thrower - but it's more like a Top Gear segment.

The QOS chase was awful on the big screen due to the editing but in bluray on a 50 inch it's pretty good. The final shot as the Alfa goes off the cliff is sublime and beats anything SP's promo video for the Rome tourist board has to offer.

Woah!

;)

Not quite sure why you're laughing as you could say SP is better than every other Bond film (the whole film aside).

Certainly. Really pedestrian and superfluous sequence. @BondJasonBond006 probably loves it.

In no particular order off the top of my head top 10 worst action scenes:

1. AVTAK fire truck
    2. FYEO ice hockey fight
    3. TWINE ski chase
    4. DAD tsunami
    5. DAD finale
    6. QOS boat chase
    7. DN car chase
    8. DAF finale
    9. TND finale
    10. GE DB5 v Ferrari

There must be a thread for this already?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40,490
    I still can't wrap my head around how people find it near impossible to follow along during the QoS PTS. Is it really that hard to tell two cars are initially chasing Bond, and he's fleeing? Some may find the SP car chase to be much better, and while I did love it the first time I saw it, I've slowly enjoyed it less and less, due to the fact that the streets are inexplicably barren, and all it is to me is a casual Bond/MP phone call while Hinx pursues, managing to ram Bond a total of zero times. Yeah, that's real thrilling.

Certainly. Really pedestrian and superfluous sequence. @BondJasonBond006 probably loves it.

1. AVTAK fire truck
    2. FYEO ice hockey fight
    3. TWINE ski chase
    4. DAD tsunami
    5. DAD finale
    6. QOS boat chase
    7. DN car chase
    8. DAF finale
    9. TND finale
    10. GE DB5 v Ferrari

Agree with 1 - 6, highly disagree with 7 - 10.

1. AVTAK fire truck
    2. FYEO ice hockey fight
    3. TWINE ski chase
    4. DAD tsunami
    5. DAD finale
    6. QOS boat chase
    7. DN car chase
    8. DAF finale
    9. TND finale
    10. GE DB5 v Ferrari

7. DN car chase for the awful rear projection although I realise it's harsh to slate it as for those days it's probably quite exciting.

8. DAF just some bangs, blokes in boiler suits jumping off trampolines and some ropey visual effects when the choppers explode.

9. TND like DAF only duller. Here's a cracking idea that just screams Bond - let's have him just walking around mowing people down with a gun in each hand. It's like someone unearthed an undiscovered Fleming manuscript.

10. GE 'hilarious' comedy chase with music to match. It's reasonably well done for what it is I suppose but it's one of the scenes that garners GE it's Bond's Greatest Hits label. The cyclists all falling over is a particularly awful moment. And apart from anything else Xenia just needs to floor it and she would leave the DB5 for dead.

1. AVTAK fire truck
    2. FYEO ice hockey fight
    3. TWINE ski chase
    4. DAD tsunami
    5. DAD finale
    6. QOS boat chase
    7. DN car chase
    8. DAF finale
    9. TND finale
    10. GE DB5 v Ferrari

7. DN car chase for the awful rear projection although I realise it's harsh to slate it as for those days it's probably quite exciting.

8. DAF just some bangs, blokes in boiler suits jumping off trampolines and some ropey visual effects when the choppers explode.

9. TND like DAF only duller. Here's a cracking idea that just screams Bond - let's have him just walking around mowing people down with a gun in each hand. It's like someone unearthed an undiscovered Fleming manuscript.

10. GE 'hilarious' comedy chase with music to match. It's reasonably well done for what it is I suppose but it's one of the scenes that garners GE it's Bond's Greatest Hits label. The cyclists all falling over is a particularly awful moment. And apart from anything else Xenia just needs to floor it and she would leave the DB5 for dead.

1 to 4 and 7 to 8 I agree 100%
    5: don't agree, I like the finale of DAD, but it is sci-fi/comic book stuff, so I get why some people dislike it
    6: the boat chase leaves me cold, it's just one more action scene in QOS, it doesn't hurt though, why you think I would love it escapes me.
    9: again a finale...I like this very long sequence in the stealth boat, for me TND is some kind of variance on TSWLM.
    10: The GE car chase is great because of Xenia who is introduced in a great way, and even MI2 homaged this sequence by the way. As for the music, that's not comedy music that's a lot of cans thrown down an empty elevator shaft. Noise in other words.

@BondJasonBond006, how did 'M:I-2' pay homage to GE's chase sequence? I can't think of a particular scene. I do suppose you mean the chase sequence between Nyah and Ethan?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @BondJasonBond006, how did 'M:I-2' pay homage to GE's chase sequence? I can't think of a particular scene. I do suppose you mean the chase sequence between Nyah and Ethan?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bXYobuaTjNs"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ACwkQP6q1QQ"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Of course I could be wrong but I don't think so.
    I like the way you say 'Even MI2 homaged this sequence' as if Bond should be honoured that something as indisputably superb as MI2 is copying him.

MI2 is a turgid plod of a film that makes even TB seem briskly paced so highlighting the GE chase as something worthy of that film merely confirms my original point frankly.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40,490
    What is the homage exactly, though? I know the scenes in question, is there a particular moment where you feel the M:I-2 chase pays homage to GE's chase? The closest thing I can catch is Nyah swerving off the road to avoid oncoming traffic at the last second, followed by her spinning out, much like Xenia does.
    What is the homage exactly, though? I know the scenes in question, is there a particular moment where you feel the M:I-2 chase pays homage to GE's chase? The closest thing I can catch is Nyah swerving off the road to avoid oncoming traffic at the last second, followed by her spinning out, much like Xenia does.

They're both shit and with even worse music?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

They're both shit and with even worse music?

I'll be fixing that soon. ;)
    There are glaring similarities. Down to exact same camera work, not to mention the same setting.
    As I said, maybe a huge coincidence.
    I don't mean to nitpick, but they're not the same setting: GE's chase was filmed/set in France, and the M:I-2 chase was filmed in the States and set in Spain. They do look slightly reminiscent of one another in certain shots, though.
    Some nice stats:

Ticket sales Switzerland for Spectre:

1.026.098 (one million + tickets)

Star Wars TFA sold 699.716 tickets

Spectre has broken every record possible in Switzerland.

By the way, our population: 8 million
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Some nice stats:

Umm... BTW, how hard is it for, say, an American family to move there..?
    B-)
    Some nice stats:

So it seems you are merely representative of the population then in your relentless SP fawning rather than a statistical anomaly.

But then what can we expect from a country where it is illegal to mow your lawn on a Sunday?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    But then what can we expect from a country where it is illegal to mow your lawn on a Sunday?
    I like to sleep in on Sunday. No mowing seems fine to me.

I still can't wrap my head around how people find it near impossible to follow along during the QoS PTS. Is it really that hard to tell two cars are initially chasing Bond, and he's fleeing? Some may find the SP car chase to be much better, and while I did love it the first time I saw it, I've slowly enjoyed it less and less, due to the fact that the streets are inexplicably barren, and all it is to me is a casual Bond/MP phone call while Hinx pursues, managing to ram Bond a total of zero times. Yeah, that's real thrilling.

Yeah never got that about the QoS car chase, really not hard to follow what's happening.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The SP car chase take place at around 1am, so the lack of cars on the road still makes sense (I know there would still be some traffic at this time of night in Rome). Mind you, the roads are certainly not empty. For instance, there are many parked cars visible on the side streets and a line of cars visible during the aerial shot as they drive along the Tiber, the main road where Bond's ammunition fails, not to mention the Fiat and the truck. The only real absence of cars is when the choir kicks in as Hinx and Bond drive towards St. Peter's Basilica.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The roads certainly weren't empty @jake24, but they were still lacking cars for a large city. The fact that so many people here comment on it suggests that it was something they should have perhaps given a little more thought to. The same goes, at least from my perspective, with the train fight.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    bondjames wrote: »
    The roads certainly weren't empty @jake24, but they were still lacking cars for a large city. The fact that so many people here comment on it suggests that it was something they should have perhaps given a little more thought to. The same goes, at least from my perspective, with the train fight.

The train fight didn't bother me either. When Bond fires his gun 3 times after Hinx kicks the table, there are people looking frightened in the far corners of the cabin. The others may have quickly exited the cabin into another one to avoid danger. The only real lack of extras that bothered me was how there was virtually no people inside the CNS building on launch night.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    jake24 wrote: »

The train fight didn't bother me either. When Bond fires his gun 3 times after Hinx kicks the table, there are people looking frightened in the far corners of the cabin. The others may have quickly exited the cabin into another one to avoid danger. The only real lack of extras that bothered me was how there was virtually no people inside the CNS building on launch night.
    Yes, the CNS building scenario was surreal and unusual for such a big event. Regarding the train, all they needed to do was spend a few minutes 'post fight' with some staff coming into check up on Bond and Madeline in the pantry car. Bond could have even made a quip about Hinx's untimely exit. Then they go to the rooms, followed by a bit of nookie. This could have avoided the laughable 'What do we do now?'

Yes, the CNS building scenario was surreal and unusual for such a big event. Regarding the train, all they needed to do was spend a few minutes 'post fight' with some staff coming into check up on Bond and Madeline in the pantry car. Bond could have even made a quip about Hinx's untimely exit. Then they go to the rooms, followed by a bit of nookie. This could have avoided the laughable 'What do we do now?'
    I thought it was rather funny, if a little unsuited for the Craig era, much like the Fiat airbag. Both jokes received quite a laugh at my theater.

I thought it was rather funny, if a little unsuited for the Craig era, much like the Fiat airbag. Both jokes received quite a laugh at my theater.
    I laughed too, but not in the way they intended for me to I think. Same went for 'Circle of life' in SF. I agree, a little out of place for Craig Bond.
    The complaints about the empty this or that in SP amuses me considering the empty subway in SF in London in the middle of the day.