"SPECTRE" Appreciation Topic (...and why you think the 24th Bond film was the best spy film of 2015)

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    RC7 wrote: »
    It's tiresome that the always same people are bashing Spectre whenever they can on EVERY thread or EVERY game and some of them even claim not to dislike the movie. And then I'm accused of dominating with my love for the movie...

The negativity some obviously need to constantly hit in everybody's face really is taking the fun out this forum from time to time.

And I'm not referring to @bondjames or @Mendes4Lyfe just to be clear. My statement is not about this thread necessarily.

Then maybe you should take it up with people on other threads. I've just looked back over the last couple of pages and the criticism is incredibly objective. Especially next to some of your own subjective platitudes. The only reason I responded was because someone had alluded to a comment I made on a different thread and after all this is a discussion forum. Appreciation threads are all well and good in theory, but they seem a little to close to internet safe spaces IMO.

It must be difficult to read a statement. I pointed out my criticism wasn't about the Appreciation thread necessarily. I can see there is a discussion, but it's an Appreciation thread for Heaven's Sake, is that such a complex concept to understand?
    There are more than enough threads around that are infested with bashing the latest Bond movie.
    And if an Appreciation thread is too close to a safe space for you then you can stay out.
    IMHO such a place is needed around all the negativity.

Anyway, I won't be seen in these threads anymore. When I'm accused of dominating threads with my positivity about the movie (I don't mean you), it's time to stay away.
    Spectre is great. @BondJasonBond006
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Even in appreciation threads, debates are welcome IMO. Sure, if I don't like a certain movie or character or whatever, an appreciation thread is not the logical place to go. But it's actually a very provocative type of thread to open up in the first place. If I were to start a BvS "appreciation" thread, I'd probably need to hire digital security to keep the angry mob out. I'd be telling people that I like the movie and if they don't, they're not welcome. That's nothing if not a challenge. ;-) We all have our darlings and we all have our enemies, and we're all fanboys and fangirls here so we can get pretty obsessive over these things. But it is a forum, and we do debate things here and in fact, that's a good thing too. It's not that difficult to ignore posts and move on.
  • RC7RC7
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Even in appreciation threads, debates are welcome IMO. Sure, if I don't like a certain movie or character or whatever, an appreciation thread is not the logical place to go. But it's actually a very provocative type of thread to open up in the first place. If I were to start a BvS "appreciation" thread, I'd probably need to hire digital security to keep the angry mob out. I'd be telling people that I like the movie and if they don't, they're not welcome. That's nothing if not a challenge. ;-) We all have our darlings and we all have our enemies, and we're all fanboys and fangirls here so we can get pretty obsessive over these things. But it is a forum, and we do debate things here and in fact, that's a good thing too. It's not that difficult to ignore posts and move on.

I agree. If a thread is started with the sole purpose of maintaining a strict agenda people are better off just starting a blog where they can cherry pick appropriate testimonials.
    @RC7
    I usually ask people who get too excited about something to avoid threads which send their blood pressure through the roof. On the other hand, threads just happen to be entirely organic; anything else, as you said, is not a thread but a blog. A thread in which only supporters or haters can gather around the camp fire and sing songs or burn voodoo dolls would be pretty boring and, in fact, meaningless.

The one attitude I truly dislike is, "I've said all I have to say but no-one listens... so now I'm leaving this place for good!" We're not a courthouse where justice is spoken, we're not dealing in rights or wrongs; people need to lighten up. If one gets upset over the general tone in a thread, one should just avoid said thread henceforth or at least for some time. Appreciation threads aren't meant to satisfy one's self-indulgence; I take it they are meant to get pretty vocal about why so-and-so deserves our special appreciation. But that doesn't mean others can't come in and try to counter one's arguments. Of course there's a good chance we'll get the same debates we already have going in other threads, which ultimately begs the question why these appreciation threads are needed in the first place.

Indeed I fail to see why we need all these "appreciation" threads when we already have "discussion" threads covering the same topic. For example, we have DAD appreciation threads, we have DAD bashing threads and we have general DAD discussion threads. A bit much, no? If I want to praise for example CR, I can do so in basically any CR thread: I'm not going to seek out some custom-made appreciation thread just so that I can hide from potential haters. Part of the fun is not to convince those who are already on the same page, but to provoke responses from those who aren't. Supersterile threads like heavily restrictive appreciation threads are boring as hell and will die out slowly. A good thread generally feeds on good debates...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @RC7
    I usually ask people who get too excited about something to avoid threads which send their blood pressure through the roof. On the other hand, threads just happen to be entirely organic; anything else, as you said, is not a thread but a blog. A thread in which only supporters or haters can gather around the camp fire and sing songs or burn voodoo dolls would be pretty boring and, in fact, meaningless.

The one attitude I truly dislike is, "I've said all I have to say but no-one listens... so now I'm leaving this place for good!" We're not a courthouse where justice is spoken, we're not dealing in rights or wrongs; people need to lighten up. If one gets upset over the general tone in a thread, one should just avoid said thread henceforth or at least for some time. Appreciation threads aren't meant to satisfy one's self-indulgence; I take it they are meant to get pretty vocal about why so-and-so deserves our special appreciation. But that doesn't mean others can't come in and try to counter one's arguments. Of course there's a good chance we'll get the same debates we already have going in other threads, which ultimately begs the question why these appreciation threads are needed in the first place.

Indeed I fail to see why we need all these "appreciation" threads when we already have "discussion" threads covering the same topic. For example, we have DAD appreciation threads, we have DAD bashing threads and we have general DAD discussion threads. A bit much, no? If I want to praise for example CR, I can do so in basically any CR thread: I'm not going to seek out some custom-made appreciation thread just so that I can hide from potential haters. Part of the fun is not to convince those who are already on the same page, but to provoke responses from those who aren't. Supersterile threads like heavily restrictive appreciation threads are boring as hell and will die out slowly. A good thread generally feeds on good debates...

Excellent post Sir.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Some sense from @DarthDimi again
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Then by all means close the Appreciation threads if they are such a nuisance @DarthDimi
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,611
    They are not a nuisance. I never claimed anything of the sort. I merely dare ask if we truly need them? Either they entertain the same debates we have in other places or they entertain no debate at all. The former means they're redundant - not a nuisance, just redundant - and the latter means they're dull.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Watchrd it again yesterday and still get a kick from watching thr train fight.
    Great stuff. :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I feel sorry for those lost souls who cannot exact the kind of silent yet pulsing thrill from SPECTRE that I can.
    Do any of you Skyfall fans here return the sentiment? B-)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I feel sorry for those lost souls who cannot exact the kind of silent yet pulsing thrill from SPECTRE that I can.
    I adore both films.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I adore both films.
    Sadly, I like DAD better than SF...
    :-S
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I adore both films.
    Go to your room.
    I adore both films.
    You know I watch DAD more than SF, I just don't like SF.
    I adore both films.
    You know I watch DAD more than SF, I just don't like SF.
    And I watch SPECTRE more than both of them.
    ;)
    Recently me also watched SP yesterday.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I like DAD. Great fun.

I like SF. Awesome film.

I can 'appreciate' aspects of SP too.
    The only Bond film I can't warm to is the unoffical NSNA. Give me DAD
    any day over it. :D
    Give me DAD over TWINE. Heck give me NSNA over TWINE too. At least it has Connery & Carrera. Not to mention Klaus Maria Brandauer doing his best Dominic Greene Napolean complex imitation. Or was that the other way round.
    I rather watch the don't pirate dvds info film over and over again
    than NSNA :))
    I rather watch the don't pirate dvds info film over and over again
    than NSNA :))
    Haha, so would I.
    I never cared for that film, in fact I haven't seen it in ages.
    NSNA is the only Bond film that can be bashed to shreds without repurcussion here, as a McClory special. Not my favourite by any means, but I can see some good things in it.
    I do like Ed Fox and Bernie Casey in it.
    I do like Ed Fox and Bernie Casey in it.
    Yes!
    Why all the hate for NSNA? It isn't all bad.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    vzok wrote: »
    Why all the hate for NSNA? It isn't all bad.
    I'm with you there.
    NSNA does have some good stuff in there, mainly the cast, but if it came to a choice I would certainly watch it over DAD, which I find unbearable! A shoutout for Alec McKeown, as Q, the only actor I think was a worthy successor to the great Desmond Llewelyn!
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 4,026
    NSNA has some rotten stuff, the score and Nigel Small-Tap. But it has some really good stuff too - my martini is still dry, the bouncer left with the cigarette case, Largo's whimsical madness, Nurse Blush

I'm off topic - I fully appreciate Spectre
    I like "SPECTRE" a lot. Still, it falls a bit short to enter my 'TOP 5 of Best Bond Films'.