"SPECTRE" Appreciation Topic (...and why you think the 24th Bond film was the best spy film of 2015)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Yes, I figured he was just referring to the 3 of them as 'us'. We know that the scriptwriters weren't completely on the ball here, so any confusion is understandable.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes, in many ways SP is a case of the general public getting the special they ordered, directly followed by them signaling a waitress to take the dish back, stat. Human beings are a riot, aren't they?

True which is why EoN need to recapture the ballsy attitude they had going in with both CR and QoS. They need to stop pandering to what the hell the audiences think they want and focus on making the films the Bond films need to be; gutsy entertaining action thrillers and not greasing the hand to accommodate fan wankery.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    There's room for all kinds of Bond movies IMO- I just wish they's come a little closer together is all....
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Having done some writing and having a script get recognized at a film festival (but never sold), I can say this: if the writer is good, nothing in a script is an accident. Blofeld did NOT misspeak here. The us does not include Madeleine. It is quite intriguing.
    Couldn't it be that he just makes an exception towards her directly?
    It was not just the best spy film of 2015, it was the best spy film since The International (2009) IMO.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    My loyalty to Spectre is total. I will protect it with my last breath. There will be no more...amateurs. No more shows of weakness.
    jake24 wrote: »
    My loyalty to Spectre is total. I will protect it with my last breath. There will be no more...amateurs. No more shows of weakness.

\m/
  • RC7RC7
    Can't wait to finally watch again this evening.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    The problem with SP is that it works against what Craig's previous films stood for. It's probably still the best spy movie of 2015 just because it's Bond, though.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The problem with SP is that it works against what Craig's previous films stood for. It's probably still the best spy movie of 2015 just because it's Bond, though.

In what way/s, @ForYourEyesOnly? I'm quite interested to know your viewpoint on this.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I wish this thread got more love. The crybabying over how terrible or how SP is the worst movie ever around here is getting so f***ing boring. Too many fixate on flaws these days and overthink things to death. I've held nearly every Bond movie in high regard even the weaker ones in the series. Every Bond movie is flawed in some way, but I look past those flaws because watching a movie shouldn't be about "Oooh I wonder what I'm going to hate next!"

Spectre was a return to the good old days. Bond is Back and having some fun. And it was entertaining. I'm looking forward to watching it again soon.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I wish this thread got more love. The crybabying over how terrible or how SP is the worst movie ever around here is getting so f***ing boring. Too many fixate on flaws these days and overthink things to death. I've held nearly every Bond movie in high regard even the weaker ones in the series. Every Bond movie is flawed in some way, but I look past those flaws because watching a movie shouldn't be about "Oooh I wonder what I'm going to hate next!"

Spectre was a return to the good old days. Bond is Back and having some fun. And it was entertaining. I'm looking forward to watching it again soon.

It was the first time this Century for me that at the end of a Bond movie I felt exhilarated & HAPPY!!!
    edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139

u9E4xi.gif

...You're right. Looks like Bourne will show all and remind EoN on how it's done.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,588
    tumblr_na188mBvxQ1sy4qr6o1_500.gif
    I beg to differ.
    Bond is Forever, Bourne is fading away.
    You may find better fights in movie A, better car action in movie B, better narrative in movie C, but A+B+C is still < Bond.
    tumblr_na188mBvxQ1sy4qr6o1_500.gif
    I beg to differ.

The fact that you had to use a gif from CR proves my point.

Bourne has a release date. Bond doesnt even have a confirmed distributor. So Bourne is hardly "fading away".
    I liked the first Bourne well enough (I think- couldn't remember much of what it was actually ABOUT except, hey- Conspiracy) to watch the second and his cool girlfriend returned (Yea!) but then (NAY!!!), and I kinda didn't like it much. I saw the third and summarily forgot it, then the next which I actually couldn't finish (that NEVER happens with me).
    If you're a fan Buddha bless you, but I just couldn't be less interested. And I like Damon.
    doubleoego wrote: »

Bourne has a release date. Bond doesnt even have a confirmed distributor. So Bourne is hardly "fading away".

That wasn't my point.
    I know what your point was but I made it my point.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I liked the first Bourne well enough (I think- couldn't remember much of what it was actually ABOUT except, hey- Conspiracy) to watch the second and his cool girlfriend returned (Yea!) but then (NAY!!!), and I kinda didn't like it much. I saw the third and summarily forgot it, then the next which I actually couldn't finish (that NEVER happens with me).
    If you're a fan Buddha bless you, but I just couldn't be less interested. And I like Damon.

You don't have to be a fan but EoN sure as hell are and whether people here want to admit it or not, when Damon and Greengrass get together for a Bourne film EoN pay attention and use them as a catalyst for their own production.
    K76t9PSBnSbrG.gif
    I can go at this all day.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 16,330
    Is there a Gif of Bond kicking that guy in the face from TMWTGG?
    "James Bond = Knocking thugs out in a single blow before wannabe knockoff's decades later."
  • RC7RC7
    Nobody does it better.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139
    K76t9PSBnSbrG.gif

So can I....aaaand this shows what exactly? Part 1 of 4 or 5 times the film showed us Bond racking his gun slide. Yes, quite the "impressive" statement. Bourne simply looks through the lens of a scope and it's more impactful.
    Is there a Gif or Bond kicking that guy in the face from TMWTGG?
    "James Bond = Knocking thugs out in a single blow before wannabe knockoff's decades later."

Yes, let's go back to referencing Bond films from 40+ years ago; afterall, it's not like the latest batch of Bond films are doing anything without aping their contemporaries and competition. QoS apes Bourne, SF apes TDK and home alone, SP over-relies on its own history, apes MI and to some extent scooby doo and worryingly apes Austin Powers. So much for setting trends. Gone are the days where Bond used to be the flow and now they simply ride the waves of others and not even as well to boot.
    Yes, let's go back to referencing Bond films from 40+ years ago; afterall, it's not like the latest batch of Bond films are doing anything without aping their contemporaries and competition. QoS apes Bourne, SF apes TDK and home alone, SP over-relies on its own history, apes MI and to some extent scooby doo and worryingly apes Austin Powers. So much for setting trends. Gone are the days where Bond used to be the flow and now they simply ride the waves of others and not even as well to boot.

Yes go on hating on Bond and EON, they only give the fans what they want since people were complaining that Skyfall was too dark and Brooding for them. (Not me though) Spectre was an blast and pure entertainment. For all the Aping Bond seems to do, (being inspired by current trends and improving on them.) They seem to be doing a better than the competition. This new Bourne movie seems to be aping off of Rambo 3, Sherlock Holmes, Fast and Furious and even those bad Resident Evil movies. Perhaps there is a Jason Bourne community you can bring those up on.
  • RC7RC7
    K76t9PSBnSbrG.gif

So can I....aaaand this shows what exactly? Part 1 of 4 or 5 times the film showed us Bond racking his gun slide. Yes, quite the "impressive" statement. Bourne simply looks through the lens of a scope and it's more impactful.

Yes, let's go back to referencing Bond films from 40+ years ago; afterall, it's not like the latest batch of Bond films are doing anything without aping their contemporaries and competition. QoS apes Bourne, SF apes TDK, SP over-relies on its own history and worryingly apes Austin Powers. So much for setting trends. Gone are the days where Bond used to be the flow and now they simply ride the waves of others and not even as well to boot.

What's the deal with everyone knocking Bond these days. Did I not get the memo? I couldn't give a shit about a topless man fighting other topless men, I'm more interested in a man who turns up a woman's house, takes out some goons, smashes some ludicrously expensive champagne glasses in a fit of anger and then proceeds to fuck her. All on the eve of her husband's funeral. Bourne can suck it.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    K76t9PSBnSbrG.gif

Scooby Doo? You've lost the plot mate.

And from the trailer we've seen so far the new Bourne looks less than amazing so probably best to reserve judgement until it comes out before you sacrifice yourself on the altar of Greengrass.