Mi6 Members Past and Present Appreciation Thread.

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    I feel it is incredibly appropriate at this juncture to measure up the amount of estteem I have for a dear friend of mine and avid reader of my James Bond Fanfiction, @TheWizardOfIce, who has been banned today.

Excellent news.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited June 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Willy did return at one point, after a long time away (and people were trying to contact him privately, including on his facebook page). He is aware that we have always enjoyed his posts. He will return if he can, I do think so. But the choice is his. He left before for personal reasons (nothing to do with this forum at all).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Good to see you back @IGUANNA.

RE: @TheWizardOfIce , he is by far one of the most intelligent, independent minded, entertaining and insightful posters on this forum in my opinion, and a character to boot. This place will be far less interesting & informed without his charismatic (& provocative) presence.

Someone with his sharp wit can’t be kept offline for long, so if anyone knows where he ends up in the near term, do let me know and I’ll be sure to join that forum.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    WillyGalore was very unwell the first time he left. Whether he got better after that, I don't know. It would be awesome if he surprised us with his return one day. He had a great sense of humour and was very easy to get along with.

Regarding members who have been banned- if they don't have a moderator/another member's email, how do they go about getting in contact to discuss having their MI6 licence reinstated?
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    The Wiz and I disagreed on some things but he was definitely an entertaining member. Shame that he's been banned.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Wiz is a smart member with fascinating opinions and a clever way of expressing them. Multiple slip-ups must be answered with some disciplinary action but that's certainly not the end.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    The Wiz is no more? I didn't agree with everything he said but he was smart and funny as well as abrasive and insulting. I'm gonna miss him around, but I'm surprised he lasted this long.

I bet it was the religious thread that did him in, which is ironic. The Wiz destroyed by his greatest enemy - religion.

I didn't know him well at all, but I'd be surprised if he wanted to return after being banned.
    @Major_Boothroyd
    Just to clarify:

1) The Wiz is not "no more". He's experiencing a temporary activity hiatus; nothing more.

2) This has nothing to do with the religion thread. Members will not be banned or even suspended based on their opinions. If the Wiz were banned over his opinion in the religion thread or how it was voiced, I myself would voluntarily or involuntarily have gone on leave too, and indeed quite a few other members as well. The Wiz was by no means the only "strong voice" in that thread.

3) The Wiz was temporarily sent "on vacation" after failing to comply with many years of patient, polite and repeated requests to watch out for "bad" language. Occasionally, we all tend to digitally raise our voices; some slip-ups can be condoned while others cannot. We "correct" new members very quickly when they unleash some very colourful vocabulary; we can't have veteran members, no matter how well respected or intelligent, get away with it either, though we usually extend them quite a bit of leniency already. I doubt we can be accused of being impatient or intolerant.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The rules we have are fairly flexible but the guideline is , one friendly warning, followed by three official warnings, after which a member is subject to a permanent ban or temporary suspension. It's our call, but its not our rules. We sign up as moderators to follow the rules that are set down by the guys who own this site.

Members have been banned for a lot less than anything Wiz has done, but despite three warnings in his tray since 2016 he loves to flaunt the rules and we have continued to cut him slack for the reasons people have mentioned - he is, on his day, a great contributor, smart and witty. We like to have these kinds of people around here.

So, Wiz can email admin at MI6 and ask to be re-instated. It will then be their decision.
    He is a jerk, but I like him.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Wiz was/is a bully, and his "provocative" opinions weren't as original as he seem to think. Especially those regarding religion, which is just the standard spiel of what any internet atheist comes out with but which he presented as if it was golddust he just discovered (and I'm not religious, as the views themselves didn't bother me). There are those sentiments that you hear so often in life that you begin to realise the poeple saying them aren't really thinking for themselves.

On another note, Welcome Back @IGUANNA!
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2018 Posts: 10,512
    Wiz was/is a bully, and his "provocative" opinions weren't as original as he seem to think. Especially those regarding religion, which is just the standard spiel of what any internet atheist comes out with but which he presented as if it was golddust he just discovered (and I'm not religious, as the views themselves didn't bother me). There are those sentiments that you hear so often in life that you begin to realise the poeple saying them aren't really thinking for themselves.

On another note, Welcome Back @IGUANNA!

He just had a very finely-tuned EDIT radar and was happy to call people out. I can see how you’d feel victimised if you’re swimming in it.
    All right I shouldn't have to say this @RC7 but please don't imply such rude things abbout another member ever, least of all in the Member Appreciation Thread. That is not a cute look on you!!

Also than k you to @Thunderfinger, @Mendes4Lyfe , @bondjames, and the lovely @BMW_with_missiles for their warm regards upon my return to the forefray. :) Warm hugs and orchestral string swells to you all.
    All right I shouldn't have to say this @RC7 but please don't imply such rude things abbout another member ever, least of all in the Member Appreciation Thread. That is not a cute look on you!!

We only have this thread to talk about „lost“ members and its only natural, that member, being banned, were not the most appreciated ones on a whole. So, its just his opinion and he has a right to say it.

Personally, the Wiz never bothered me and I am a happy camper here since we FINALLY lost no Solace, who should never ever be allowed back.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 1,296
    Degrading a lovely member by saying he is swimming in bulslhit does not do anything to uplift or appreciate my friend The Wizard Of Ice. Also I don't know Solace (I don't know him) but your comment about him is not good also for this thread's wealth. Just remember the difference between positive appreciation and the opposite of that.
    Like I said, there is not always appreciation and since this is the only thread to discuss past members, you will need to live with the fact, thst some comments are NOT meant positive. There is nothing positive to say about Solace, for example. They could change the title of this thread.

As for Wiz, he never stepped on my feet and could have lived a long life here, as far as I am concerned.

I do have your name associated with posts, I didnt like though. Couldnt say what it was, so never mind. But this is a multi national board and its normal, opinions vary a Lot.

The mods don't easily ban people ( for me, they take much too much time at points) so IF finally somebody is banned, you can be sure, he deserved it.
  • RC7RC7
    Degrading a lovely member by saying he is swimming in bulslhit does not do anything to uplift or appreciate my friend The Wizard Of Ice. Also I don't know Solace (I don't know him) but your comment about him is not good also for this thread's wealth. Just remember the difference between positive appreciation and the opposite of that.

My comment was not aimed at any one person, merely commenting that if you’re one of those that acts up then you may have felt the wrath of Wiz.

On the plus side, it’s nice to have your own brand of inanity back.
    @Germanlady
    Thank you. :)
    We may appear slow in making such decisions because we try to make sure the active mods are unanimous or as near as damn it.

And then you need someone to pull the trigger..
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    NicNac wrote: »
    We may appear slow in making such decisions because we try to make sure the active mods are unanimous or as near as damn it.

And then you need someone to pull the trigger..

Or not pulled. It's hard to know which in your pyjamas
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Nothing should be pulled in your pyjamas !

What to do about ones morning glory then?
    royale65 wrote: »

Leave it to the mods.
    royale65 wrote: »

Leave it to the mods.

This is part of the Mod Team early in the morning:

liftweights__square.jpg

This is @Benny and myself, also early in the morning:

thumbnail_gym4.jpg
    I’m also in that photograph. Dimi and Benny are standing on my head (just out of shot). What happens next would shut this site down
    Dwayne Johnson calls @NicNac "sir".
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Nothing weird. We just live in a great big house together.
    That's okay...isn't it.
    It's fine.
    Except for @Birdleson, who has to do laundry, the dishes and pretty much everything else.
    Poor @Birdleson
    I bet it was the plan all along. He didn t know what he agreed to.